Code of Conduct

Default Best of the rest! Half-decent 'drugstore frags?'

For those on the tightest of budgets but whom still wish to exude pleasant odours, the Creeds, Lutens and Tom Fords of this world are seldom accessible; as are a great number of designer frags from Dior to D&G. Hell, some might even struggle to put together the coins in order to buy a bottle of Grey Flannel or Coty Aspen!

Very often I will browse the aisles of a pound shop (dollar store to my American cousins) and spy various innocuous bottles of Eau de Toillete bearing names I'm totally unfamiliar with and am unlikely to see anywhere else. Names like 'Precious Amelia', 'Huntsman Success' and 'Urban Venom', not to mention the budget offerings of sports brands such as Umbro. My question is, has anyone dared to sniff any of these dirt-cheap juices and are any of them actually any good, at least for their price tag?

I'll kick things off with a little discovery I made a few weeks ago: Addiction Gold (formerly by Fabergé) 50ml EdT bought for £1.99. This is at worst a complete copy, and at best a reasonable approximation of 1 Million by Paco Rabanne. It boasts half-decent projection and not-awful longevity. Very unrefined, as you would imagine, but certainly wearable in an emergency!

Share your budget finds.

Default Re: Best of the rest! Half-decent 'drugstore frags?'

How budget are we talking? If I search around enough I can usually find a good number of designer scents for under twenty dollars. Particularly Jaques Bogart and Antonio Puig seem to sell their stuff very cheap. Also the Versace 'jeans' scents.

Cheaper than that?

Well, I've always liked Tabu, and I'm rather fond of Dana's Monsier Musk (pure leathery/soapy goodness) and English Leather, a classic 'dad's cologne,' with it's unique lime and leather scent. If you buy the big bottles these are insanely cheap. I have a 250ml bottle of English Leather (I'm really fond of the bottle too) which I paid $17 for. Then of course there's the various Jovans. Jovan Musk for men is pretty solid for the price. Another around this price is the reformulated Worth Pour Homme, while I've heard some praise for the reformulated Je Reviens although I can't go near it myself because I have too many memories attatched to the original.

I remember being bored and spraying one of Tabac's fragrances. Tabac Man Silver, and I thought it was wearable and reasonably pleasant which I found surprising because I was expecting to be horrified. Tabac Original EDC is also rather nice. Simmilarly there's a few Adidas scents which seem nice enough in a generic, sporty kind of way.

Often designer flops which get discontinued can become incredibly cheap. Then ironically they can suddenly become very expensive once the shelf stock has dryed up and only Ebay types and the like have them. Examples of this are Diesel Plus Plus (femenine and masculine) which can be had for $10 a bottle, and which - to me - are really quite nice.

On overstock I've picked up one ounce bottles of designer fragrances like Zino, Dirty English, Lanvin Vetyver, Cool Water Pure Pacific, and Nautica Voyage all for 10-15 dollars. Also on Overstock-Perfumes I sometimes find Roger & Gallet testers for $12. I bought two bottles of Gingembre that way.

Buying in large sizes can make budget buys out of scents which might not seem budget initially. For example Molinard's EDC comes in for me at under $30 for 250mls. That's 125mls for $15, cheap any way you look at it. Simmilarly Caron's Pour un Homme can be purchased in absolutely crazy bottle sizes which brings the $ per ml price down to a pittance. Azzaro also have some big bottles for Chrome and Pour Homme which brings the price down substantially. This can be a very inexpensive way to buy a scent you really like and wear often.

Halston scents seem to be very cheap, and I've heard friends say that Vicky Tiel's ulysses is quite good. Also something called Caution by Kraft. I'm tempted to get it because I dig the bottle design:

If you're interested I'll tell you where you can buy genuine vintage Worth Pour Homme HC for 13 dollars a bottle. Not joking, and I've bought it myself so I know it's legit. Deals like that bring me to another point. If you ever find a source like that it can be worth buying a bunch of bottles and trading them for other stuff.

In the end? My favourite way to find bargains is to go to a big website like overstock or a huge ebay seller like bestdealperfume and list all of their fragrances, then sort by price and start at the lowest. You'd be surprised what you can find.

As for 'dollar store' type fragrances the only one I've ever owned was something called Perfect Black. I believe it was supposed to be a copy of Drakkar Noir. I was on Holiday in a very small town with no fragrances, and ended up buying it and CKIN2U which was all they had which didn't make me gag. I actually wore it much more often than IN2U and have used the bottle, while IN2U languishes still in my wardrobe. I occasionally use it as air freshener.

Oh, I should note. It was 'Perfect Black,' which brought me to basenotes. I was looking up and notes, but couldn't find it. However it lead me to discover Mandarina Duck Pure Black (one of my all-time favourite modern scents) which I bought because the notes and the name were so cool. Plus I like ducks.

Edit - something for the ladies: Love's Baby Soft (yep, you can still get it XD)

Also: http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beau...t=Lowest+Price link to Overstock set to lowest price.

Edit again: also Fragonard Zizanie. Super cheap for what you get.
    Last edited by Miket; 10th December 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Solara Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    How budget are we talking? If I search around enough I can usually find a good number of designer scents for under twenty dollars. Particularly Jaques Bogart and Antonio Puig seem to sell their stuff very cheap. Also the Versace 'jeans' scents.

Cheaper than that?

Well, I've always liked Tabu, and I'm rather fond of Dana's Monsier Musk (pure leathery/soapy goodness) and English Leather, a classic 'dad's cologne,' with it's unique lime and leather scent. If you buy the big bottles these are insanely cheap. I have a 250ml bottle of English Leather (I'm really fond of the bottle too) which I paid $17 for. Then of course there's the various Jovans. Jovan Musk for men is pretty solid for the price. Another around this price is the reformulated Worth Pour Homme, while I've heard some praise for the reformulated Je Reviens although I can't go near it myself because I have too many memories attatched to the original.

I remember being bored and spraying one of Tabac's fragrances. Tabac Man Silver, and I thought it was wearable and reasonably pleasant which I found surprising because I was expecting to be horrified. Tabac Original EDC is also rather nice. Simmilarly there's a few Adidas scents which seem nice enough in a generic, sporty kind of way.

Often designer flops which get discontinued can become incredibly cheap. Then ironically they can suddenly become very expensive once the shelf stock has dryed up and only Ebay types and the like have them. Examples of this are Diesel Plus Plus (femenine and masculine) which can be had for $10 a bottle, and which - to me - are really quite nice.

On overstock I've picked up one ounce bottles of designer fragrances like Zino, Dirty English, Lanvin Vetyver, Cool Water Pure Pacific, and Nautica Voyage all for 10-15 dollars. Also on Overstock-Perfumes I sometimes find Roger & Gallet testers for $12. I bought two bottles of Gingembre that way.

Buying in large sizes can make budget buys out of scents which might not seem budget initially. For example Molinard's EDC comes in for me at under $30 for 250mls. That's 125mls for $15, cheap any way you look at it. Simmilarly Caron's Pour un Homme can be purchased in absolutely crazy bottle sizes which brings the $ per ml price down to a pittance. Azzaro also have some big bottles for Chrome and Pour Homme which brings the price down substantially. This can be a very inexpensive way to buy a scent you really like and wear often.

Halston scents seem to be very cheap, and I've heard friends say that Vicky Tiel's ulysses is quite good. Also something called Caution by Kraft. I'm tempted to get it because I dig the bottle design:

If you're interested I'll tell you where you can buy genuine vintage Worth Pour Homme HC for 13 dollars a bottle. Not joking, and I've bought it myself so I know it's legit. Deals like that bring me to another point. If you ever find a source like that it can be worth buying a bunch of bottles and trading them for other stuff.

In the end? My favourite way to find bargains is to go to a big website like overstock or a huge ebay seller like bestdealperfume and list all of their fragrances, then sort by price and start at the lowest. You'd be surprised what you can find.

As for 'dollar store' type fragrances the only one I've ever owned was something called Perfect Black. I believe it was supposed to be a copy of Drakkar Noir. I was on Holiday in a very small town with no fragrances, and ended up buying it and CKIN2U which was all they had which didn't make me gag. I actually wore it much more often than IN2U and have used the bottle, while IN2U languishes still in my wardrobe. I occasionally use it as air freshener.

Oh, I should note. It was 'Perfect Black,' which brought me to basenotes. I was looking up and notes, but couldn't find it. However it lead me to discover Mandarina Duck Pure Black (one of my all-time favourite modern scents) which I bought because the notes and the name were so cool. Plus I like ducks.

Edit - something for the ladies: Love's Baby Soft (yep, you can still get it XD)

Also: http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beau...t=Lowest+Price link to Overstock set to lowest price.

Edit again: also Fragonard Zizanie. Super cheap for what you get.
    Great Advice Miket!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

If I could only afford one drug store fragrance, and had to wear it exclusively, it would be Old Spice EDC--hands down.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Among many, many others: Tabac Original, also seconding Old Spice, Quorum and Agua Brava, both by Puig, Halston Z14, Hildegard Braukmann Classic, most Charlie frags by Revlon, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Secret (including flankers) by Antonio Banderas, English Blazer and Gold, both by Yardley, 24 Gold, L'Erbolario Neroli and quite a few more I still have to remember.

The cheapest best smelling frag under $10: Cuba Gold
    Hands down smells like Le Male and in a way less repulsive than Le Male. Should be a staple in every frag heads collection

These are the sort of things I'm talking about...

IMAG2007.jpg

...the real cheapies! Anyone ever actually stumbled on one they'd not be afraid to put on their skin?

CologneFan85

I have smelled a knock off to A.Men that was dead on and lasted just as much. You will be amazed what great knock off's there are.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    I have smelled a knock off to A.Men that was dead on and lasted just as much. You will be amazed what great knock off's there are.
    Sounds good! Can you remember what it was called or where it might be found?

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Sounds good! Can you remember what it was called or where it might be found?
    It was in Downtown LA, at a private owed fragrance store. Near "the Alleys". I know the fragrance maker was the maker of the knock off of One Million, called "Oro Puro". Look Oro Puro up also its another dead on knock off for 10 dollars at 100ml. I dont remember the name of the store. I have even tested rather knowledgeable fragrance fans who work with my Fiance and they were fooled.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just looking it up, but im finding something way different. These knock off should have the same bottles as A men and One million. Hope that helps a little.