Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 55 of 55
  1. #1

    Default Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    A lot of folks seem to think that cumin resembles body odor. I just don't see it at all. I use to have an over weight roommate with bo and I also work in customer service and daily I run into someones stank. I absolutely cannot stand the stench of any BO, makes me gag. Cumin smells like taco seasoning and I love taco meat! This just perplexes me. I don't get it. Maybe folks outside of my area have BO that smell like taco meat, i don't know, lol.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I dont get the connection either ....

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Me neither...

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,944

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Maybe folks outside of my area have BO that smell like taco meat, i don't know, lol.
    Too funny!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    well, I sort of do: there is no doubt that they are different. But if you wanted to create a fragrance with echoes of BO without being offensive, you might use cumin to help do it . . . a sort of sanitised, cleaned up BO . . . which is of course not BO at all.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

    www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Go to NYC and hail a cab...the connection will be thrust upon you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I am studying the fragrance Al Oudh right now and a lot of folks talk about it being a cumin blast. I personally don't see it. I had my wife smell Al Oudh and cumin and she see's no connection. I mean I guess I could see that it's blended in there but if I were to blind sniff this I would not be thinking cumin. This fragrance reminds me of the cinnamon pine cones we will be selling soon for the holidays. The store will be filled with the smell soon.

  8. #8
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,520

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I definitely get the connection and can't stand the stuff... I love taco meat, however. They smell nothing alike to me though (cumin and taco meat, that is).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I personally love cumin when cooking. (it's probably my favorite spice and Mexican is my all time favorite food). But, I can kinda see how both cumin and cardamom remind people of body odor in fragrances. I think it may have a lot to do with the way it mixes with other ingredients as well. I know I can really sense it in my sample of Cartier's Declaration, and while it smells ok to me, I can definitely see it offending some.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Neither do I, however I know lots of people who get this connection.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    To me Cumin is all about BO and I hate it when I smell it in a fragrance. Aramis and the Opening of Vetiver Extraordinaire are prime examples with Cumin/Bo in.

    The thing with fragrances is it is very subjective and we all have different associations for different smells depending on our experiences.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I would say cumin by itself does not smell like BO, but together with a host of other notes, it might resemble something different entirely.

    Try smelling L'Autre by Diptyque. Cumin based fragrance, but very different to the fresh cumin spice found in spice shops.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    There's the days old, stinky urinous sweat, there's the musky sweat of certain overweight people (or people who have digestion problems), and none of these smells to me cumin-like. But other types of lighter, more regular sweats do resemble cumin-like spices. Without grossing out people: 1) wear same pair of underwear for 3 days (while properly showering and cleaning after pe*ing). 2) smell underwear 3) discuss similarities with spices. (This works for males, I don't know about women. However, women, or men, with a Y-chromosome endowed partner can also check in a different way.).

    I never had the luck to smell vintage Rose Poivree, but I can see why Tania Sanchez would compare a spicy-rose to dirty male underwear.

    Enough for now.

    cacio

  14. #14
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,195

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I don't get the BO thing with cumin either and I agree about the taco meat analogy. And those scents that are called "dirty" (Yatagan and Kouros) simply don't smell dirty to me. To me good old ripe BO is something that halts the nose from inhaling and draws me back in disgust and cumin simply does not do that for me. In fact, I have never smelled a cologne that truly smells "dirty". Would love to find one to be honest that actually has a dirty accord moderated with something that makes dirty smell interesting. Nothing yet for me that does this...
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Would love to find one to be honest that actually has a dirty accord moderated with something that makes dirty smell interesting. Nothing yet for me that does this...

    Here you go:

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._Leonesio.html

  16. #16
    Fleurine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,657
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I have no point to make but I like this thread...

    Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.


  17. #17
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,195

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Now that sounds interesting...
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I think cumin evokes a sort of idealized scent of human sweat. Not the nasty, fat-laden-diet-poor-hygiene-never-take-a-shower-or-use-deodorant kind of BO that comes to mind for most people.

    I think Al Oudh does a good job of recreating a sort of idealized sweat smell. Some people's noses here are obviously more sensitive to cumin than others.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th October 2011 at 03:01 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have never smelled a cologne that truly smells "dirty". Would love to find one to be honest that actually has a dirty accord moderated with something that makes dirty smell interesting. Nothing yet for me that does this...
    A good skanky Hindi Oud oil should sort you out! Barnyard, zoo, fecal - forget your wussy sweat!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I don't get the connection, either, but admit that there's something about cumin that puts some people off. I have several friends of mine who just can't stand it, even in food.

    I enjoy the addition of cumin in fragrances. As well as the previously mentioned L'Autre, Eau d'Hermes, Scent by Theo Fennell and Rochas Femme are some of my favorites that contain noticeable cumin.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I was about to say what noggs said.
    I dont get the connection either but I can see why some westerns may find the appeal in cumin (known as Kammoon here كمون).

    for swap/sale:





  22. #22

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I do understand where the people are coming from associating the BO smell with Al Oudh. Everytime I am testing Al Oudh on my skin and let my friends smell it, they all said it smelled like BO. That's the last thing I would want myself to smell like, BO. I couldn't get myself to buying a bottle of AO though I find it a fascinating scent. =(

  23. #23

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Very weird-- I almost started this very same thread today! Only mine would have been called "Cumin and BO-- I FINALLY get it."

    When I smell cumin from a jar, I also only get taco seasoning. It's one of those things that, to me, smells very different in food than it does in a fragrance. I've recently been playing with a sample of Muscs Koublai Khan and I've seen where people said it was laden with cumin-- and I didn't get that at all the first few times I sniffed it-- only when I doused a fair amount of my sample on my chest did I get that "Kingdomy" blast of cumin. It still didn't smell like what I think of BO as smelling like.

    Anyway, last night some guy came into my bar-- I could tell that he'd been doing a lot of work-- not physical work, but probably a long day sitting at a computer, sweating, etc. And when he first sat down I got this blast of nasty BO and it did remind me of cumin. Not the cumin in food, but the cumin in fragrances (which to me smells NOTHING like the taco meat I get from a jar of cumin).


    And I started thinking and comparing that funk and I made the connection again with this one guy who had to be the worst smelling person I've ever experienced in my life-- Once, I worked at Walmart during Christmas season, as seasonal help. I worked in the electronics dept. Some guy came in--with his mother, I think-- to return a computer they'd bought-- and they immediately destroyed the store with their funk. They smelled like they'd been living in a house that was marinating in BO and cat pee. They returned this computer with no box and no receipt. They were very scary people and the wanted to yell at us and intimidate us into taking back this computer-- which also stank to high heaven. Eventually they left-- somehow getting their money back (Walmart are a bunch of wimps!) and they left this computer in a shopping cart. It smelled so bad I wanted to throw it into a dumpster. I don't think these people ever bathed nor left the house, so they had no idea how terrible they smelled. It's pretty bad when a piece of electronics gear that was sitting in your house is now destroying some poor kid's sense of smell as he tries to get through his shift at Walmart. Anyway, these people had a bit of that nasty cumin smell about them (but also a LOT of cat pee!)


    I was thinking of buying Muscs Koublai Khan but I just don't know-- the cumin somewhat kills it for me. I just can never seem to pull off cumin scents at all.

    Cumin is a weird one-- people perceive it differently. For the longest time, I didn't get the cumin=BO thing, but eventually, it clicks. Sometimes you just have to have that rosetta stone that makes it apparent.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 5th October 2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo-- sleeping pills kicking in...

  24. #24

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    From the reviews on Luckyscent:

    Halitosis and inadequately wiped bottom in a bottle.

  25. #25
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,195

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    And I started thinking and comparing that funk and I made the connection again with this one guy who had to be the worst smelling person I've ever experienced in my life-- Once, I worked at Walmart during Christmas season, as seasonal help. I worked in the electronics dept. Some guy came in--with his mother, I think-- to return a computer they'd bought-- and they immediately destroyed the store with their funk. They smelled like they'd been living in a house that was marinating in BO and cat pee. They returned this computer with no box and no receipt. They were very scary people and the wanted to yell at us and intimidate us into taking back this computer-- which also stank to high heaven. Eventually they left-- somehow getting their money back (Walmart are a bunch of wimps!) and they left this computer in a shopping cart. It smelled so bad I wanted to throw it into a dumpster. I don't think these people ever bathed nor left the house, so they had no idea how terrible they smelled. It's pretty bad when a piece of electronics gear that was sitting in your house is now destroying some poor kid's sense of smell as he tries to get through his shift at Walmart.
    You made me laugh so hard and yet cry at the same time. I think I met these people once.

    (Maybe I just have not figured out the cumin smell when used in fragrances, but I sure love cumin in taco meat and chili. There's no fragrance that smells like chili is there? LOL.)
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  26. #26

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here at the risk of being offensive.

    Is it possible that the "cumin = BO" association is coming from Westerners who have spent some time in the Med/Indian regions?

  27. #27

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I do get a faint "armpit" note from cumin, as in Alexander McQueen's Kingdom and SL Fleurs d'Oranger.

    The scent of a sexy man wearing fragrance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Give Eau d'Hermes a try

  29. #29

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I get the connection. I smell cumin out of a jar and all I get is fat bricklayer, on a hot summer afternoon, sans anti-perspirant, after he has enjoyed a curry lunch.

    Cumin can be a fragrance deal breaker e.g. Eau d'Hermes. Having said that I love Rose 31 & Fleurs d'Oranger.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    What is so funny is that Al Oudh has set records for me in the compliment department. I receive at least 2 unsolicited compliments whenever I wear this and one day I received 5 in less than 2 hours. The ladies where I work have no problem telling me when I stink and believe me, they love to do so, lol. This fragrance must work completely different on me than some folks. I adore Al Oudh and the women around me do as well, very much so.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I do understand where the people are coming from associating the BO smell with Al Oudh. Everytime I am testing Al Oudh on my skin and let my friends smell it, they all said it smelled like BO. That's the last thing I would want myself to smell like, BO. I couldn't get myself to buying a bottle of AO though I find it a fascinating scent. =(
    That is so bizarre my friend because this fragrance has set records for me in the compliment department. I must work way different on me.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    You made me laugh so hard and yet cry at the same time. I think I met these people once.

    (Maybe I just have not figured out the cumin smell when used in fragrances, but I sure love cumin in taco meat and chili. There's no fragrance that smells like chili is there? LOL.)
    Made me crack up as well, lol. I think that you and I have the same thoughts and nose when it comes to cumin

  33. #33

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Very weird-- I almost started this very same thread today! Only mine would have been called "Cumin and BO-- I FINALLY get it."

    When I smell cumin from a jar, I also only get taco seasoning. It's one of those things that, to me, smells very different in food than it does in a fragrance. I've recently been playing with a sample of Muscs Koublai Khan and I've seen where people said it was laden with cumin-- and I didn't get that at all the first few times I sniffed it-- only when I doused a fair amount of my sample on my chest did I get that "Kingdomy" blast of cumin. It still didn't smell like what I think of BO as smelling like.

    Anyway, last night some guy came into my bar-- I could tell that he'd been doing a lot of work-- not physical work, but probably a long day sitting at a computer, sweating, etc. And when he first sat down I got this blast of nasty BO and it did remind me of cumin. Not the cumin in food, but the cumin in fragrances (which to me smells NOTHING like the taco meat I get from a jar of cumin).


    And I started thinking and comparing that funk and I made the connection again with this one guy who had to be the worst smelling person I've ever experienced in my life-- Once, I worked at Walmart during Christmas season, as seasonal help. I worked in the electronics dept. Some guy came in--with his mother, I think-- to return a computer they'd bought-- and they immediately destroyed the store with their funk. They smelled like they'd been living in a house that was marinating in BO and cat pee. They returned this computer with no box and no receipt. They were very scary people and the wanted to yell at us and intimidate us into taking back this computer-- which also stank to high heaven. Eventually they left-- somehow getting their money back (Walmart are a bunch of wimps!) and they left this computer in a shopping cart. It smelled so bad I wanted to throw it into a dumpster. I don't think these people ever bathed nor left the house, so they had no idea how terrible they smelled. It's pretty bad when a piece of electronics gear that was sitting in your house is now destroying some poor kid's sense of smell as he tries to get through his shift at Walmart. Anyway, these people had a bit of that nasty cumin smell about them (but also a LOT of cat pee!)


    I was thinking of buying Muscs Koublai Khan but I just don't know-- the cumin somewhat kills it for me. I just can never seem to pull off cumin scents at all.

    Cumin is a weird one-- people perceive it differently. For the longest time, I didn't get the cumin=BO thing, but eventually, it clicks. Sometimes you just have to have that rosetta stone that makes it apparent.
    rofl, nice reply, I thoroughly enjoyed it

  34. #34

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I do understand where the people are coming from associating the BO smell with Al Oudh. Everytime I am testing Al Oudh on my skin and let my friends smell it, they all said it smelled like BO. That's the last thing I would want myself to smell like, BO. I couldn't get myself to buying a bottle of AO though I find it a fascinating scent. =(
    I had to share this with you, lol......I told one of the ladies at work about all the talk about this fragrance as smelling like bo and being offensive to people and she replied with "they obviously must not attention from women" ---This fragrance has been through the roof for me with the compliment factor.

  35. #35
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,195

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    So, I need to know know more about Al Oudh. Where to find it and what strength it comes in etc.. Can anyone help?
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  36. #36

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So, I need to know know more about Al Oudh. Where to find it and what strength it comes in etc.. Can anyone help?
    It's an EDP and available at lucky scent for 165.00, 100ml

  37. #37

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    ..........Without grossing out people: 1) wear same pair of underwear for 3 days (while properly showering and cleaning after pe*ing). 2) smell underwear 3) discuss similarities with spices. (This works for males, I don't know about women. However, women, or men, with a Y-chromosome endowed partner can also check in a different way.).

    I never had the luck to smell vintage Rose Poivree, but I can see why Tania Sanchez would compare a spicy-rose to dirty male underwear.

    Enough for now.

    cacio
    Thanks cacio but I don't think I'm that curious

  38. #38

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I totally get the cumin / BO correlation. This being said, one of the BEST cumin treatments in a perfume is The Infidels by Agonist. Master-blending at its finest!

  39. #39

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    i don't smell BO in cumin either, yet. I think of it as one of those notions that spreads within the community, not an independent thought that lots of people have but maybe I'm wrong

  40. #40

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I think the easiest way to get the connection is to fry some cumin seeds in oil - just a splash of oil in a pan and throw in a handful of cumin seeds - the resulting smell is pleasant yet has a 'sweaty' vibe!

    Cumin powder / seasoning sold in jars from dried and ground cumin seeds smells very different.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    I had to share this with you, lol......I told one of the ladies at work about all the talk about this fragrance as smelling like bo and being offensive to people and she replied with "they obviously must not attention from women" ---This fragrance has been through the roof for me with the compliment factor.
    Good input, mickers, but please try to use the multiquote feature. It's the little "quote" icon to the far right of the "reply" buttons. Lick it once for each post you are responding to and they will all appear in the "reply" field. Try it and see how this works. Again, great responses but you can contain all of your responses in one quote. Heck, it too awhile for me to use this function.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    i don't smell BO in cumin either, yet. I think of it as one of those notions that spreads within the community, not an independent thought that lots of people have but maybe I'm wrong
    See, I used to think that too, but the reactions of others when I would wear certain cumin scents tells me that they do get that reaction. Some people--fragranceheads or not-- seem to be very sensitive to the perception of cumin notes. I remember a female friend who recoiled when I hugged her while wearing Declaration Essence.

    Also, once I was working on a reality dating show as a production assistant. I was tending to one of the contestants and he wanted to freshen up so I offered him some samples of different colognes to try. I gave him some Gucci Pour Homme and right away he noticed the cumin note (he didn't actually identify it by name) and said "OH gross. This one smells like BO!"

    Granted, if one eats a huge serving of curry and sweats, one is going to smell like cumin-- but I think cumin notes in perfume also connote a BO note all their own, besides that of someone who just ate a bunch of Indian food.

    Curry notes are something a bit different for me-- I bought Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge recently and had no issues wearing it-- I didn't perceive the curry notes in it that some said they got. I wore it to work on day last week and I dabbed some on my wrists-- and I set a drink down in front of some guy and I overheard him and his girlfriend talking about armpits or something-- and maybe they were or weren't talking about my cologne, but it made me feel a bit sensitive-- like maybe they were picking up these curry notes in Chypre Rouge.

    Then a couple of days ago, I was hungry and was frying up a turkey burger and decided to dump some red curry powder on it. After eating, my house smelled like this red curry powder for many hours and it reminded me a little of some of the notes in Chypre Rouge.

    It's kind of frustrating, this hard time I have wearing cumin scents-- I have less problems wearing civet, castoreum, musk and phenolic urinous honey notes. I really wanted to be able to wear MKK, but the heavy presence of cumin is problematic for me.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Any spice that's predominantly savory I find ''difficult'' in perfumery, e.g. cumin, coriander, fenugreek, paprika, even pepper if loud. Spices that can sweet or both sweet and savory, on the other hand, I have no trouble with e.g. cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, mace.

    None the less, cumin and BO I find hard to link. Cumin can be oppressive if overdosed as I end up feeling like dinner, but I don't feel like the great unwashed. Now cumin and civet, as in older Eau de Hermes? Yes, I see it, but it's civet poking its head in making things animal, not cumin.

  44. #44
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,565

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I don't get the connection either, not that I wanted to in the first place. Maybe I need to hang around a lot longer with people with a well-documented history of BO to finally 'get it'.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Cumin doesn't smell like BO.

    Cumin smells like vagina.

  46. #46
    Halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ciudad de Buenos Aires
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I kinda agree with the last post....
    Different parts of the body have different smells...
    Armits are more close to grapefruit and onions
    Butt, balls and vagina are closer to cumin and (forgive me) iodine and sea food, respectively.

    But nothing is closer to cumin than a sweaty ass.

    Besides, I believe that some peoply that eat huge amounts of spices have a body odour resembling decaing or musty spices.

    cheers

    Pablo

  47. #47

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    I would say cumin by itself does not smell like BO, but together with a host of other notes, it might resemble something different entirely.

    Try smelling L'Autre by Diptyque. Cumin based fragrance, but very different to the fresh cumin spice found in spice shops.
    I love cumin fragrances and loved L'Autre so much I bought 100ml, but this is the only time I've made the connection. It smelt nice on but now and again I caught a whiff and thought I must be wearing yesterdays shirt and then realised it was fresh on. So what was it?.....

  48. #48

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    This is getting a little crazy. And gross.

    The cumin/BO connection is SUBJECTIVE because BO doesn't all smell the same--it has a lot to do with diet and related cultural associations. Cumin as a food spice is much more popular in some parts of the world than others. Eat a lot of cumin (i.e. Indian cuisine), and your sweat will tend to contain a cumin note; no mystery there. If you're from a culture whose cooking isn't big on cumin, there's not going to be much cultural association with BO. Pretty straightforward.

    Personally, I dislike any fragrance that contains spices that remind me of a desi grocery or Indian restaurant (even though I love Indian cuisine) because I hate smelling like whatever I just ate for dinner. When gourmands become a little too savory/edible, they become a big turn-off to me.

    Al Oudh may contain cumin, but thankfully, it's not prominent. I like it. I find it 'cleaner' than most reviews I've read.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Neither do I.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I get the connection, and still smell BO from time to time that reminds me of cumin. I cook frequently with cumin, though, and the more I'm exposed to it the less I notice its "funky" aspects, more its rich, fruity/woody spiciness and depth of flavor. Oddly, cumin-heavy perfumes rarely make me think of BO. I actually get more of an armpit vibe from a strong pepper-cedar combination in a fragrance (Marc Jacobs Bang and Gucci Pour Homme, for example) than from a noticeable dose of cumin. I don't see the BO connection at all in cumin bombs like Cartier Declaration, for example - it's far too crisp, dry, and musk-free for me to think of a sweaty armpit. Rochas Femme is a little more sweaty - cumin, fruit, and leather make a strange combo - but it still doesn't compare to the dank, musky effect of actual armpit odor.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Good input, mickers, but please try to use the multiquote feature. It's the little "quote" icon to the far right of the "reply" buttons. Lick it once for each post you are responding to and they will all appear in the "reply" field. Try it and see how this works. Again, great responses but you can contain all of your responses in one quote. Heck, it too awhile for me to use this function.
    Thanks for the tip but I'm still unsure how this works - is it just one response to everyones quote?

  52. #52

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Loving this thread and all the feedback on it!!!! Thanks everyone :-)

  53. #53

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I kinda agree with the last post....
    Different parts of the body have different smells...
    Armits are more close to grapefruit and onions
    Butt, balls and vagina are closer to cumin and (forgive me) iodine and sea food, respectively.

    But nothing is closer to cumin than a sweaty ass.

    Besides, I believe that some peoply that eat huge amounts of spices have a body odour resembling decaing or musty spices.

    cheers

    Pablo
    +1.
    Owing to things like difference in diet, different bodies have different odors. And different parts of the same body have different odors. I think Halo's descriptions in this regard are pretty much right, although I have to say that if my sweaty armpits smelled like grapefruit, my life would be at least a little bit better than it is.

  54. #54

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    Cumin in my taco, good.
    Cumin in my fragrance, bad.

    It is a BO note. How that happens, I don't care.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Cumin and BO - I just don't get it

    I totally agree with you. That's one of the reasons I can't stand Rose 31. It reeks of cumin. Smells too much like sweaty armpits.

Similar Threads

  1. Cumin
    By Asha in forum Note Pad: Single Note Exploration
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th September 2011, 09:20 PM
  2. What does cumin smell like
    By neal in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 4th January 2011, 07:49 PM
  3. Le Labo Rose 31 - Cumin done right!
    By Popgeer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th June 2010, 01:51 PM
  4. Cumin prominent scents
    By Dane in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 3rd January 2010, 05:17 AM
  5. Cumin & Rose 31
    By Rodolfo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th April 2009, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000