Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Original Vetiver by Creed (compared to Thierry Mugler Cologne)

Original Vetiver was released in 2004 and Mugler Cologne was released in 2001, both respectively receiving a lot of acclaim from the fragrance community, but since both use neroli and vetiver notes, it is often implied that Creed copied Thierry Mugler on this one.

(Fragrantica did not list neroli as an ingredient for OV, but I am almost certain it's in there. If not, then it's a combination of citrus that smells a lot like neroli)

How similar are they? Some people will tell you that they are exactly alike or identical. Other people may tell you that they are nothing alike. Everyone will perceive something different, but the truth is in the middle of those two unrepresentative extremes. I would say they are about 50 to 75% similar. I'll put it this way. It's similar enough to warrant me making a post comparing the two.

I'd say Mugler Cologne is more similar to Original Vetiver than Cool Water is to Green Irish Tweed (and much more similar than Unforgivable to Creed's Imperial). I'm a big fan of the Creed house, but I try to approach things as objectively as possible, so I'm not going to say Creed is the only acceptable option but Mugler Cologne is a good competitor against it.

Some basic similarities. Original Vetiver is more natural while Mugler Cologne is more synthetic. And while OV is more natural, it is not leagues ahead of Mugler Cologne, but the different is less pronounced, though very noticeable. OV is a little darker and heavier, making it suitable for a more mature audience. I don't know if many young people out there will appreciate it but I'm 21 and I think it's perfectly wearable to be honest. While the Vetiver in OV is richer than the Vetiver in Mugler Cologne, it's not really dirty of overpowering. The vetiver note in Creed's OV is much better in quality, easily, and while the vetiver note is the main attraction, it never becomes excessive.

And I'm going to challenge the common conception about Mugler Cologne as well, as people ASSUME that because it is fresh and soapy that it is safe and essentially perfect for people who don't want to smell like cologne. I would even find MC to be LESS safe than Original Vetiver because it is so synthetic. It's shrill too, whereas Original Vetiver is much calmer. The shrillness of MC makes it more empowering to smell for a second, but in time, the shrillness can be headache inducing and OV's subtlety is better.

As for longevity, both are about the same. Average, maybe a little less than average. No huge complaints for either. On projection, I think Mugler Cologne projects much better. OV is one of Creed's worst projectors and unless I am missing something, no matter how much I put on, I have to bury my nose in my skin (and on paper) to smell all of the notes.

I've had people tell me that Mugler Cologne smelled like hospital bandages, and I kind of agree. I still like Mugler Cologne a lot, but it's not the the safe every-man fragrance some people on here make it out to be. Basenoters tend to be more biased toward Vetiver than most people in the real world, so both won't appeal to some. But if you are a fragrance collector, fishing for compliments isn't your top priority and shouldn't matter too much.

The main question is a matter of value. Is Original Vetiver significantly better than Mugler Cologne to the point where it's worth four times the price? I don't think there is a definitive answer, however if you are sure of who you are and what you are interested in when it comes to a fragrance, a clear choice can be made.

First, you have to decide if you like soapy vetiver fragrances. If not, then neither of them will be good for you. If you want a little more neroli and a little less vetiver, go with Mugler. If you want a little more vetiver instead, go with Original Vetiver. For the average person who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on fragrances and prefers to stick to designers, OV isn't enough of a compelling case to change your mind and you'd probably be better off with MC. If you do have the money to spend, and you are a collector, you are better off getting Original Vetiver (if you like it more) than going cheap and getting stuck with too many cheapies you don't like.

Me personally, I owned a bottle of Mugler Cologne. I like it a little bit but I did not find it safe enough to wear and it even got on my nerves after a while, so I swapped it away and I don't think I'll buy it again, since I have strict standards on what I buy and I prefer a leaner collection. For me, I'll spend the extra money just to keep my standards higher and my collection leaner, if I had to choose between the two.

If you are buying Original Vetiver, you are paying 250% more for something that is 50% better than Mugler Cologne. It depends how much a passion for you fragrance collecting is because that is a difficult trade-off.

I like OV a lot, and it's something I would wear. It's not a million miles above MC, but it's just better enough to be more considerable. Is it something I absolutely love and can't get enough of? No. But it is very nice. It's not in my top 5 Creeds, nor is it in my top 5 Creeds I want to buy. But once I get all the Creeds I want.

OV is not one of the first few Creeds I would recommend anyone to try, but it's good for people who've already explored GIT, Aventus, MI and the like and want to see what else the house has.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 6th April 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Default Re: Original Vetiver by Creed (compared to Thierry Mugler Cologne)

Mugler cologne's my preference of the 2, I have given up on Creed's, getting too much watered down and not worth the $.

Centaure from Gantier, Guerlain's Heros & CdG's Vettiveru are definitely better than the 2 u mentioned, hands down, IMHO...All share similar notes, but varying in degree...

I own a bottle of OV and enjoy it. Better quality than MC IMO. A refined soapy scent (expensive soap). Very little vetiver, but I wear this a lot in the spring and summer. Good review bro.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 6th April 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I own a bottle of OV and enjoy it. Bette quality than MC IMO. A refined soapy scent (expensive soap). Very little vetiver, but I wear this a lot in the spring and summer. Good review bro.
    thanks. yeah, original vetiver has less vetiver than most vetiver based fragrances. for people who love vetiver as a dominant note, it may be underwhelming. but for many people who like vetiver as a note, but dont want it as the main note, OV is nice.

i agree on spring and summer. i would even add fall.

If you are buying Original Vetiver, you are paying 250% more for something that is 50% better than Mugler Cologne. It depends how much a passion for you fragrance collecting is because that is a difficult trade-off.

Yeah, that pretty much hits it on the head. I find that's the case with a lot of Creeds, though -- they smell great, but there's usually a competing fragrance that smells fine, and is a lot cheaper. So, which to purchase? For me, GIT is worth it (over Cool Water), VIW is worth it (over Set Sail St. Bart's and any other alleged competitor), and MI is worth it (over just about anything). Right now, I have a bottle of Mugler, but when it runs out I will likely get Original Vetiver. When I wear OV I feel like I smell amazing; when I wear Mugler, I feel like I smell good. The difference is worth the price differential.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned
    Blog Entries

i agree with everything the above user said

Personally don't find them similar and wouldn't want to be without either in my collection.

I agree with Barclay, that noirdrakkar put it very well. Creeds are usually good, often better than the designer analogs that pre-/postdate them, but the difference in ingredients and scent are typically much smaller than the price difference. So one of the reasons people always argue over this, is that the tipping point will vary from person to person. It boils down to whether you like OV *much* more than MC, or *somewhat* more. And you might easily think the opposite for Cool Water / GIT, or any of the other pairs.

"If you want a little more neroli and a little less vetiver, go with Mugler. If you want a little more vetiver instead, go with Original Vetiver."
    No Vetiver in mugler
    I see some similarity,but regardless of price I prefer mugler cologne.
    Both fill similar roles in ones collection but when the temps are 90 degrees and 100% humidity there's only one bottle I reach for is mugler cologne. Also not sure where Irish spring soap comparisons come from. Do a side by side test and not similar at all.
    I'm sure the fine hotel he stayed at that he based the cologne on was not offering Irish spring in the bath room.
    Mugler is a moder classic which I will never be without. That being said OV is a great scent 2
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

I own and love them both, but OV is worth the extra £49 that I paid for it compared to MC.

Thanks for the extensive comparison of both. In my opinion, both are worthy scents, especially for vetiver fans.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    When I wear OV I feel like I smell amazing; when I wear Mugler, I feel like I smell good. The difference is worth the price differential.
    Sums it up perfectly

I do not find the similar, I like both, but I prefer Mugler, the Mugler body spray is even better

A chacun son gout!
    I'll take Mugler Cologne over OV as I don't find that there's all that much difference. For anyone who says they're not at all similar, well there's got to be something wrong with that person's nose. OTOH, I MUCH prefer GIT to Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't find them similar and wouldn't want to be without either in my collection.
    How can you not find these two similar???

I do find them somewhat similar, but easily find the Creed of higher quality and longer lasting. I also get much more defined citrus in OV. I owned Mugler, tried OV, got rid of Mugler & bought OV without hesitation. With Grey Market prices, the Creed was about 2x more per ml than the Mugler. For me, easily worth that price differential, but I can also see how many people would be completely satisfied with Mugler Cologne over OV. Also, for some reason, there was something about MC that came off more feminine on my skin than OV. I just didn't feel I could pull it off. I don't get that with OV, however.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    ...Basenoters tend to be more biased toward Vetiver than most people in the real world...
    I think this may be an accurate observation.

Mugler put out a unisex scent called Mugler's Cologne - and to my nose it is unisex, though personally I think it smells a lot better on my wife than it does on me.

Creed Original Vetiver has some similarity to Mugler's Cologne, but it smells unambiguously masculine to me - which makes it totally different from Mugler's Cologne.

The other similar scent to these two is The Gap: The Natural, which is a light unisex vetiver scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato

If I wanted a soapy scent I'd probably go with Prada amber pour homme.

OV would be ok if there weren't a hundred excellent vetivers already on the market.

Since there are, OV is objective crap by comparison, and ludicrously priced given the ingredients.

Maybe it's just my nose, but I don't really see much of a similarity between the two. I tested Mugler Cologne at a Macy's a while ago and really did not like the way smelled. It came of as green and pretty harsh to me...maybe it spoiled in the lights.

By comparison, I find OV very refreshing and pretty unique. We can debate about value for money and price, but at $120 for 125mL, that's not that bad in my eyes (to have something for years that you enjoy). Not sure if I'll get it this summer since now I've got a lot of citruses, but if I do I'll certainly enjoy it (who am I kidding, it'll probably end up being my seventh Creed). I like that it does vetiver light, and I love the quality lemon opening. For some reason it reminds me of tea.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

They are similar, but I definitely think that OV is much better.

If I want a clean vetiver with citrus I'll go with Grey Vetiver. For a soapy vetiver I'll stick with Vetiver Hombre. As far as OV vs MC I'd go with OV, because of the better quality ingredients.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I find them somewhat similar although, I love Mugler Cologne and I can't stand Original Vetiver so they're definitely different enough.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I own both, but greatly prefer Mugler Cologne over OV. To me, it's just much cleaner and fresher. The top of OV is nice, but that smoky, rooty, base (the vetiver), just smells kind of dirty and dated to me. I think Mugler's drydown, and also that awesome metallic/bleachy note put in a fresher and more modern class than OV.

Both smell very similar to me. And both are pretty darn good. I think they are both pretty safe and clean smelling - very versatile and wearable.