Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post TF Grey Vetiver, a major let down

won't buy it again, maybe I will never buy TF again!
    any opinions?
    thanks!

Default Re: TF Grey Vetiver, a major let down

I happen to like it. And why dismiss a whole house because you dislike one of their fragrances? And can you test before you buy next time?

I thought this was an okay fragrance. It gets a lot of love on Basenotes though. Not dreadful by any means.

Just another reason why you should never blind buy. Also, I wouldn't rule out an entire fragrance house just because of one offering you dislike.

I like it mut not FBW for me. Still think the best Tom Ford ever made under his name is Black Orchid.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I happen to like it. And why dismiss a whole house because you dislike one of their fragrances? And can you test before you buy next time?
    was not blind bought, I owe lots of TF Portofino, Black Orchid and Extreme very nice scents but actually overpriced.
    You can have more for a lot less!

Overcome By Fumes

I like the Vetiver note quite a bit so I tend to like anything where that note is prominent. I find the Tom Ford take to be pleasant enough but not outstanding in any particular way.

Aw, what a shame Francolino! I do like it a great deal, so much so that I bought it for my partner. Luckily he likes it too. I think that it is lots of things. It can be elegant, sharp and cool (which he is not!! ), but it is also great for casual wear. I like the sharp, airy take on vetiver, very modern, very stylish I think. As I often say, I find it to be one of those fragrances that creates an air of attractiveness around the man wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Aw, what a shame Francolino! I do like it a great deal, so much so that I bought it for my partner. Luckily he likes it too. I think that it is lots of things. It can be elegant, sharp and cool (which he is not!! ), but it is also great for casual wear. I like the sharp, airy take on vetiver, very modern, very stylish I think. As I often say, I find it to be one of those fragrances that creates an air of attractiveness around the man wearing it.
    if you love it Foustie, then I guess I will love it too, I just started a 100ml bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    won't buy it again, maybe I will never buy TF again!
    any opinions?
    thanks!
    I didn't like it either Francolino, I found it to be too sharp and I think there's better vetiver frags to be had. Not for nothing, but TF's recent offerings have been disappointing.

It is very sharp indeed, but still a great vetiver. I'm on my third bottle, but the sharpness has finally got me to slow down with it and intersperse with other great vetivers like Givenchy Vetyver, Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Chanel Sycomore.

Yes they are pricey, but scents like Black Orchid and Tobacco Vanille are pretty amazing and I think worth the money given the quality.

Tried it once, found it nice and pleasant but not worth paying that much for. The woman who accompanied me loved it though and much preferred it to Encre Noire which I made her smell after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Tried it once, found it nice and pleasant but not worth paying that much for. The woman who accompanied me loved it though and much preferred it to Encre Noire which I made her smell after.
    Encre Noir is funny that way - seems so much better to the wearer than to others - but we can't let that stop us!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I also did not like the vetiver vibe in TFGV. Too sharp for me. I prefer the vetiver note in Dior's Eau Sauvage parfum.

It's one of the few vetiver scents I can tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    was not blind bought, I owe lots of TF Portofino, Black Orchid and Extreme very nice scents but actually overpriced.
    You can have more for a lot less!
    Francolino, if you’re looking for a decent vetiver fragrance, nothing beats wearing the essential oil (which is pretty cheap). Try obtaining some from a reputable source (regardless of the variety) and you’ll see what I mean. But it may require some patience in order to ‘get it’.

Owned it twice, never did like it.

Bought a bottle some time ago, liked it for 5 mins, then sold it on. Absolute most vile synthetic nonsense I've ever smelt. I don't like any TF male scents, but have to say that the now discontinued Jasmine Musk and Voile de Fleur (Black Orchid) were his highlights.

As someone who has a couple of well-loved TFs in the core rotations I do agree.

It is my least favorite vetiver by far. I much prefer Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycamore and Mona's among others.

It's actually the only vetiver-centered frag I've liked so far (and yes, I know it's less "vetiver-y" than others...that's probably why I like it). It's soft but nice. For me, it's a good "going-to-church" frag.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Sound Scents

Not a fan of the stuff, here... I certainly found it inoffensive, but it was way too safe and bland for my tastes... I did not dislike it, per se, but found it rather forgettable.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Don't care for it either.

Are you trollin'? GV is my favourite of all the vetivers I've tried, and I've sampled offerings from Guerlain, Creed and a good few others. That said, you really shouldn't write off TF until you've sampled the Private Blends. That's crazy talk, man!

I am a big fan of vetiver, and would put this in the top 5 of vetiver-centric fragrances. Love it. Love most (not all) TF offerings.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I too am underwhelmed by Grey Vetiver. There are many rather compelling fragrances in this genre, and the majority are available at a more attractive price. I am not giving up on Tom Ford , but I have yet to become excited about anything bearing his name .

If I were to splash out on a high-end vetiver, I rather fancy the one from Lorenzo Villoresi
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

I bought a bottle because a lot of you guys here commended it. But wouldn't buy it again. It's not that I find it too "sharp" but too noncommittal, banal, with not enough vetiver-character. It is quite nice, alright, but lacks edge and power and masculinity. Would be a good scent for a fabric softener, in my opinion.

I tried it the other day, and found it very bland, soapy, and as others have said, too airy. Smelled like a nice scent for the office for a guy who always wears "quiet" ties. (On me.) But I don't think I like "airy" vetiver at all, ever; I'm looking for the dark rooty earthy quality of vetiver essential oil, not that light sharp leafy smell. (Which, incidentally, I have not yet found. I feel like I should try Turtle Vetiver Front maybe.)

(I did really like the opening blast of nutmeg in the TFGV, but it blew off really quickly.)

However, I really went off GV when I got bored with it after a couple hours, decided it probably wasn't going to go anywhere I cared about, and tried to scrub it off. Never before have I had a fragrance last through a good soaping absolutely untouched and unchanged. This was like a guy in your house for a visit, and come the time you say, "Welp, going to bed," he's all, "No worries. I'll just check out what's in your fridge. What games have you got for the PS3?"

Soapy? Never. Bland? Come on! It's grapefruit sharp at first and full of woody green vetivery goodness. I think it's great. My one complaint is how close it sticks to my skin. Virtually no projection. Still, a beautiful scent, to my nose at least. Much prefer it to the often touted Guerlain Vetiver.

My skin really pulls both "soap" and "bland" notes to the fore. That's why I noted "on me" in my post. Chances are almost nothing smells the same on me as on anyone else, except for power terrorblasters like Obsession, which as far as I remember smelled the same on me as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    My skin really pulls both "soap" and "bland" notes to the fore. That's why I noted "on me" in my post. Chances are almost nothing smells the same on me as on anyone else, except for power terrorblasters like Obsession, which as far as I remember smelled the same on me as anyone.
    Fair point well made.

I like it quite a bit, but not sure it's worth the price.

For me it's just too boring. I'd much rather reach for Yardley's Citrus and Wood or TdH.

I tried GV on my skin yesterday and I like it. Its fresh, green and masculine. Everything that many are looking for in fragrance but.... unfortunately, smells reminds me Paul Smith Story lot (maybe like 90% similiar) and I am not sure that quality of ingredients, and slightly more masculine feel can justify 4x higher price tag...
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I think GV is a decent scent, smells good, but the price is a bit much. I probably will not replace this one when it's used up. Encre Noire is a much better vetiver value.

I also happen to like TF Extreme and Black Orchid.
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 2nd February 2013 at 04:00 PM.

I happen to really like this one, along with most of Tom Fords other offering that I've tried.

Boredom bottled.

Probably the only vetiver heavy fragrance that I would consider owning. Only thing that I am not sure about is how long it would last on me.

I wear a Lavender & Vetiver Body Lotion, by Strange Invisible Perfumes, under Grey Vetiver. The combination is gorgeous, though maybe more on the feminine side of unisex than some may want. It also makes the scent last at least twice as long.
    http://www.spiritbeautylounge.com/st...r-vetiver.html

I dont like grey vetiver either it smells the same as those noxema cleansers.

I have never liked nor understood this fragrance. Maybe my nose isn't that refined yet. I love many TF fragrances, but this is the one TF that I really dislike.

I want to find one that I love but I struggle to like vetiver based fragrances and Grey Vetiver is no exception.

This is one of my favorite vetivers. While I agree it is very linear it is a very inoffensive smell. I have received nothing but compliments on this brighter take on citrus from Tom Ford.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

TFGV was not my cuppa-tea either. I had high hopes from it, and was let down. But THank gooness I didint write of the house at that point, because Tuscan Leather is one of my all time fave scents!!!

Basenotes Junkie

I would gladly take a bottle off someones hands for them, I enjoy this scent. Will I pay about $100 for 50ml? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    +1. I agree with everything here. There will usually be plenty of fragrances from each house you will dislike. Not to mention blind buying isn't that smart. It satisfies a mystery and impulse desire, but don't be surprised when you don't like it.

As for Tom Ford and Grey Vetiver, it's one of my favorite houses and favorite fragrances. Daring and unique fragrances with excellent quality and lasting power. Grey Vetiver is very underrated as it's absolutely fantastic and because it has a fresh aspect and it's relatively newer it won't get as much praise. If it was made 20 years ago people would be praising its excellence, but that's another thread altogether.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Basenotes Member

There is nothing ground breaking about Grey Vetiver, but I enjoy it as a fine vetiver that smells good and works well in the office.

Banned
    Blog Entries

honestly, i really don't like any of tom ford's designer fragrances

Basenotes Plus

Taken as a vetiver fragrance Tom Ford's Grey is not even in the same league with things like the Les Nez Turtles, both Front and Back, Fumindus, Annick Goutal's, Sycomore, Guerlain, MPG Route de Vetiver and Miller Harris, and probably untold others. Grey Vetiver is fresh and clean and synthetic smelling. Soapy. When I smell it I feel like polishing furniture. Grey Vetiver always seems to be one of the favorite vetivers among fragrance users who admit they really don't like vetiver. I wouldn't call that a ringing recommendation. I don't like it whatever's in it. I'm not a Tom Ford hater by the way. But this is just bad.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 6th April 2013 at 03:21 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Too each their own.... I consider myself a true vetiver lover, and to concur with you I dont consider TFGV to be a "true" vetiver, whatever that might actually mean. But I do enjoy grey vetiver quite a lot regardless of what it may or maynot be mislabeled as.

To those contemplating dumping it in the toilet, feel free to PM me.

Grey Vetiver is delightful in every facet. The sharp, citrus opening is truly mesmerizing to my nose - for me one of if not the best spring/summer fragrance for men.

Can I ask, I assume it's not the note of vetiver that you dislike (as surely you would not have purchased it in the first instance) and if so, what is it about the fragrance which doesn't appeal to your nose?
    Summer Rotation

Eternity Summer (2014) - Calvin Klein
    Cool Water Pure Pacific - Davidoff
    Homme - David Beckham
    Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford
    Platinum Egoiste - Chanel
    Bleu de Chanel - Chanel

Maybe this confirms Dernier's point- but I hate most vetivers including Guerlain Vetiver. But the few I enjoy are Sycomore and Grey Vetiver. TF GF a nice scent. Not something I'm blown away by (Sycomore, on the other hand, really impresses me) but it just "feels right" wearing this to the office and feeling professional and smelling good.

Some scents are masterpieces to be admired on an artistic level. Some are good smelling scents that I enjoy wearing "in the real world". Some are both (vintage Dior Homme, in my opinion). TF GV fits the second group for me.

Not every scent one likes has to be a masterpiece.

And separately I really admire Tom Ford's work and think he's a g--d--- genius.

I was unsure when I first tried it (it was my first vetiver), but having sampled others (and added a couple to my wardrobe), I find I use it regularly when I'm in the mood for a vetiver.

If you don't like vetiver in general, then TFGV will never work for you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Giannino View Post

Can I ask, I assume it's not the note of vetiver that you dislike (as surely you would not have purchased it in the first instance) and if so, what is it about the fragrance which doesn't appeal to your nose?

Giannino, I'm not positive you're addressing this question to me, but I'll assume that you are and try to answer you. Vetiver is one of my favorite notes. I have no problem with fragrances that use smaller amounts of vetiver as a mixing note but I think if you're going to call your fragrance a vetiver the user should at least be able to smell it. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver definitely suffers from a lack of recognizable vetiver in my opinion. Smell Fumidus sometime, or Turtle Front or Turtle Back. That is what vetiver smells like. But as I said I don't think the lack of vetiver alone is what makes Grey Vetiver such an unpleasant experience. I agree with you that the citrus here is sharp. But to my nose it's a shrill synthetic lemon that reminds me always (and I'm not trying to be provocative here) of lemon furniture polish. It's this quality I dislike so much. The shrill synthetic vibe in GV reminds me very much of that same kind of treatment in L'eau d'Issey. Obviously zillions of fragrance users find that kind of thing appealing as L'eau d'Issey's phenomenal sales testify. So..... yes it's a matter of taste. There's also a soapiness to GV that I think only detracts from it. Again, a soapy quality in cologne is not in itself a bad thing and can be very charming. Here in GV...no. Like L'eau d'Issey Grey Vetiver is fresh and clean and bright. Lemon furniture polishes don't usually smell all that bad really. I just don't want to wear anything like that.
    Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

If you don't like vetiver in general, then TFGV will never work for you.
    Sorry, but I disagree. I feel that if you don't like vetiver, real vetiver that smells like vetiver, in general, then you may very well like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It is the vetiver for people who don't like vetiver because...........it doesn't smell very much like vetiver.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 7th April 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Not a bad fragrance, but definitely far down on my list of vetivers.

Does Guerlain Vetiver smell like a vetiver? Because I tell you it smells nothing like Sycomore or Vetiver Extraordinaire IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Does Guerlain Vetiver smell like a vetiver? Because I tell you it smells nothing like Sycomore or Vetiver Extraordinaire IMO.
    Well.... Guerlain, yes it smells of vetiver but certainly not a level of Fumidus or one of the Turtles. Guerlain has a strong tobacco note too remember. Maybe you don't like that. I like Guerlain but quite frankly it always smells dated to me.
    For me the vetiver in Sycomore is so seamlessly blended that it hides a little under the leatheriness. But it's definitely there. Remember too, it's called Sycomore, not Chanel Vetiver. I don't think the vetiver in Vetiver Extraordinaire is particularly strong.
    I always had trouble with the "rubbery" wet crypt note in VE. Just never liked it. VE has a ton of fans though.

But I agree with you all of these "vetiver" fragrances smell quite different.

I mention Guerlain Vetiver because to some it is considered some sort of gold standard, based on it being around for many years . I find it to also smell very dated and frankly find it to be garbage. I think the only reason the Guerlain gets the level of praise it does is for historical purposes only. If Guerlain Vetiver were to be created in 2013, people would say it smells nothing like vetiver and smells more like PineSol.

But back to TF GV, I think it's an updated version of Guerlain Vetiver. A better version and more modern IMO with the lemony aspect. And if you think the Guerlain is a real vetiver and "the gold standard", then the TF is a superstar vetiver. If you think Guerlains isnt even a true vetiver, then there's a decent chance you'll feel the same about the Ford.

[QUOTE=Dernier_Cri;2918760]
    Giannino, I'm not positive you're addressing this question to me, but I'll assume that you are and try to answer you. Vetiver is one of my favorite notes. I have no problem with fragrances that use smaller amounts of vetiver as a mixing note but I think if you're going to call your fragrance a vetiver the user should at least be able to smell it. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver definitely suffers from a lack of recognizable vetiver in my opinion. Smell Fumidus sometime, or Turtle Front or Turtle Back. That is what vetiver smells like. But as I said I don't think the lack of vetiver alone is what makes Grey Vetiver such an unpleasant experience. I agree with you that the citrus here is sharp. But to my nose it's a shrill synthetic lemon that reminds me always (and I'm not trying to be provocative here) of lemon furniture polish. It's this quality I dislike so much. The shrill synthetic vibe in GV reminds me very much of that same kind of treatment in L'eau d'Issey. Obviously zillions of fragrance users find that kind of thing appealing as L'eau d'Issey's phenomenal sales testify. So..... yes it's a matter of taste. There's also a soapiness to GV that I think only detracts from it. Again, a soapy quality in cologne is not in itself a bad thing and can be very charming. Here in GV...no. Like L'eau d'Issey Grey Vetiver is fresh and clean and bright. Lemon furniture polishes don't usually smell all that bad really. I just don't want to wear anything like that.
    Cheers

Dernier_Cri, I actually wasn't addressing you, my question was intended for the thread creator, Francolino, but nonetheless thanks for your response!

In my opinion, GV does have (to my nose at least) enough 'recognizable vetiver', although I do agree that it's not a 'full bodied' as it were vetiver like several others on the market.
    In terms of the 'lemon furniture polish' comparison, I must say I've never associated GV as such and if I'm honest, it was only when I got started reading reviews on it, that I first came across the 'lemon furniture polish' remark, so you're certainly not alone on this point.

For me, GV exudes sheer class and sophistication and to be frank, I don't know what I would do each Spring and Summer if I was ever to be without it.

Cheers.
    Summer Rotation

Eternity Summer (2014) - Calvin Klein
    Cool Water Pure Pacific - Davidoff
    Homme - David Beckham
    Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford
    Platinum Egoiste - Chanel
    Bleu de Chanel - Chanel

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=Giannino;2918882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Dernier_Cri, I actually wasn't addressing you, my question was intended for the thread creator, Francolino, but nonetheless thanks for your response!

Cheers.
    Sorry about all the bilge.
    Ah yes poor, Francolino. I think he moves over to the dark side in post number 8.

Cheers

I feel its too sharp for me and can't enjoy it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?