Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Mazzolari Lui- Breakthrough scent, gift for spouse

I've been checking my samples lately and ran across Mazzolari- Lui. Tried it on my husband. I also tried Mazzolari- Mazzolari. This was the clear winner. Lui is a rich snappy chypre with a dose of patchouli. It smells divine on my husband's Olive-toned skin. Rich, woody, grassy and sappy. He has been stuck on Polo Green forever. Sadly, it has been re formulated and has lost it's oomph. I think he will actually wear this if I get it for him.

Are any of you keen on this one?

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/32...i-by-mazzolari

Last edited by kumquat; 18th May 2014 at 07:34 PM.

Default Re: Mazzolari Lui- Breakthrough scent, gift for spouse

I'd totally agree with you that Lui is amazing, but I found it more of an animalic patch / amber beast, than green / sappy.

Whatever, enjoy it's a winner fur sure.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

LOVE Lui! It's a great animalic patch, very comparable to L'Ombre Fauve. No green sap for me though.

Blog Entries

I wonder if my sample is an older version? I hope the bottle I order won't be too patchy. Or maybe his skin just brings out this nice greenish aspect. I thought it was nicely tangy.

I must really be picking up the Vetiver.
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th May 2014 at 08:06 PM.

"Tangy" is one way of putting it (at least for the openning), but sorry I've no idea about reformulations etc, both my sample and FB were purchased within the last 12 months and were identical.
    Last edited by Mick_Trick; 18th May 2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I'm sure he will wear it and appreciate it if you get it for him.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think of it as a amber patch frag. It has a animalic opening which I enjoy. Only two sprays from this beast. I learned the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I think of it as a amber patch frag. It has a animalic opening which I enjoy. Only two sprays from this beast. I learned the hard way.
    It's funny, when I put a tiny dab on him he said he wanted something powerful. Women reapply all the time, he says, men don't have time for that. I assured him, not to worry, this will last all day.

I have a bottle of Lui and enjoy it very much - however, I find the patchouli note extremely pronounced in this one, especially in the drydown. You gotta like patchouli to really enjoy this (I do).

Blog Entries

One thing I've noticed about Polo Green is how much patchouli there is in it. So I think that is why it seems to work well for my husband. His skin eats it up. It seems to turn woody on him. Maybe I should order another sample before pulling the trigger, though.

I would. I got a great deal on my bottle and that's why Lui is in my collection. Personally, I wouldn't pay retail for it, but I'm very happy to have it!

It's an excellent scent, I also don't get much in the way of "green". As others have mentioned, it's a very warm amber, juxtaposed against an earthy and slightly powdery patchouli.

I love it too, it's a wonderful perfume. A big beast, animalic patch with amber. I wouldn't call it green (in the sense of galbanum) but patchouli does have a dry, raspy, vegetal side (have you tried patchouly indonesiano by Farmacia SS Annunziata?).

I haven't heard of reformulations, and I would be surprised. but as usual, who knows.

cacio

Awesome for sure but I always thought it was one of those "who the f*ck is going to wear this and where?" kind of scents.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 19th May 2014 at 01:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Awesome for sure but I always thought it was one of those "who the f*ck is going to wear this and where?" kind of scents.
    The once ubiquitous Polo green has pretty much turned into that! Certainly good for somebody who still loves Polo, though!

I've read that the Mazzolari -Mazzolari was nice and green. True?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It sounds like you're describing Mazzolari Mazzolari but calling it Lui.

Mazzolari is the green one, more like Polo than Lui. Lui is the animalic patchouli.

Lui is wonderful stuff and altho it's years since I went thru sample of MM I am still thinking about getting that one, as well.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    It sounds like you're describing Mazzolari Mazzolari but calling it Lui.

Mazzolari is the green one, more like Polo than Lui. Lui is the animalic patchouli.
    You might think that but when we tried the sample it was (MM) definitely lighter, greener and sort of 'astringent', not quite sour, just not warm and comforting like the spicy Lui.​ I've ordered another sample just to be safe. I see the picture I posted is darker juice than they show at LuckyScent.(Don't know if that's significant).

I think this Mazzolari is a winner. I have a bottle of Lui and treasure it. The opening feels ultra-masculine to me.

Mazzolari Lui is great! Not for the faint of heart, though.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Mazzolari Lui is good if you're into the fairly worn out patchouli x amber theme. Plenty of substance about it, but I lost interest pretty fast. I can definitely see people being compelled by it, though. At least initially.

Blog Entries

Well, you guys were right. When I put a good amount on him this time- it was straight up patchouli. And he was not into it. Neither was I. Now I've discovered that he likes Geurlain Vetiver pour Elle. I'm making him a decant. I plan to let him use the Mazzolari Vetiver which I already own. More testing to follow.

The description didn't quite seem to fit ...

Floral-vetiver slightly aquatic. I'm going to hypothesize he's going to like Le Labo Neroli as well (which is not a neroli, but a fresh aquatic floral). Which is however as expensive and as difficult to get as the guerlain.

cacio

Lui is pure testosterone.

having just purchased Lui, at first sight all I can say is I get a blast of animalic patch with no green hint..I will keep you updated after a full wearing..reminds me of Leather Oud with patch instead of oud!
    There's ice on the sink where we bathe ....So how can you call this a home.... When you know it's a grave

You do have to like patchouli to like Lui.
    But even if you like it a little, you might enjoy this......it is really well made.
    My wife refers to it as my Rich Hippie scent. (But she says this with mad respect)