Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme Intense vs Chanel Egoiste vs Midnight in Paris

Which of these 3 should I purchase. I'm in college but have a mature personality and dress classy. I've been hearing this raving about DHI, so I might just buy into it; however, I got a little whiff of Chanel Egoiste the other day and I really liked it. MiP have never smelled.

- - - Updated - - -

I should probably add that I like gourmands the most and vanilla, coco, citrus (lemon, orange) smells are my favorite. I'm not too big on woodsy smells but I've grown to appreciate fresh musky smells recently.

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense vs Chanel Egoiste vs Midnight in Paris

Midnite in Paris!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I own and like all three, but my favorite is without a doubt, Chanel…goÔste! Classy, complex, long lasting and just smells damn amazing! I will never be without …goÔste and neither should you One the few scents that make me very happy, when I get a whiff of it from others. I rejoice in their good taste, and my luck catching a whiff of the magnifiscent Chanel …goÔste.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I already have Bvlgari Black which I hear is very similar to Midnight in Paris..True?

Dior Homme Intense for sure. Egoiste is nice as well. I could do without MiP, but lots of folks seem to like it here on BN.

Wow I just re-smelled antaeus by Chanel
    Lets just add that to the mix of those three above amazing fragrance

It kind of has a feminine touch in the dry down but masculine

If only I could get all 4...

Dior Homme Intense for sure!
    Of all 3 and of course 4! DHI is more classy and better in terms of longevity or projection.
    I can easily do without MiP...

Out of those the only one I own and enjoy is the Chanel. Egoiste has really grown on me and really can be a mood changer.

You mention that you like gourmands and vanilla. In this case, DHI is probably going to make your shortlist too The Chanel also has a bit of vanilla, but it is subdued, whereas DHI has about 500 vanilla bods in each spray. Maybe that could be your deciding factor

Definitely sample the lot before you buy is my advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrance_Extraordinaire View Post
    I should probably add that I like gourmands the most and vanilla, coco, citrus (lemon, orange) smells are my favorite. I'm not too big on woodsy smells but I've grown to appreciate fresh musky smells recently.
    Then none of the ones you mentioned fit, well maybe DHI 2007.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Chanel Egoiste , followed by DHI . I haven't tested MiP , but I heard it's similar to Bvlgari Black which is not really my cup of tea .

For you I think DHI would be more appropriate if you're in college .

EgoÔste - No 1.

E > dhi > mip

It could be that you'd prefer DHI though.

Great parfumes , truly great, all 3... My choice today would be MiP EDP , based on my passion , trying to find this one for a long time ( Edt is only available for me ) , second place go for DHI vintage, and third Egoist, but my love for Egoist is old and pure, had two bottles and maybe that is a reason why is third placed right now.

Oh the three I think you would enjoy DHI the most as you like gourmands.

Personally I like MiP better.

Three good ones there. I would have to go with DHI, then Egoiste and last but not least MIP.

Can't miss with any of them.

Based on how you described yourself, I'd say Chanel Egoiste without a doubt. I like DHI and MiP but Egoiste is much better imo.

I like all three of those, but if I had to chose just 1 it would be Egoiste.

Sound Scents

Neither of the 3 clicked with my taste, but of those choices I would go with DHI. Edit: I saw you now have Antaeus in the mix... If so, definitely I would recommend that one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frťdťric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driý) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacrť (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privť (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

To me Antaeus is totally different than the others, if you want what Antaeus offeres and that is a pure masculin scent the go with that. If on the other hand you want one of the tree my recommendation would be Chanel Egoiste. I like DHI but i like Dior homme more. MiP i have never tried so...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If you are mature and have style, I would choose Chanel Egoiste or Antaeus. However, I feel Antaeus is a little more casual.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Egoiste > DHI > Antaeus > MIP

I would definitely sample MIP first. To me, the rubber note was unbelievably overwhelming and actually made my stomach turn.

Egoiste -- it's a timeless classic masculine fragrance.

DHI and MiP are great as well but could be too sweet, especially with body heat.

DHI, or consider just Dior Homme.

My favorite of those three would be Egoiste. Yours will probably be the Dior
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat Nį 2

dior homme intense

Egoiste>Antaeus>DHI>MIP

Without a doubt, Dior Homme Intense. #2 Egoiste. #3 Bvlgari Black

And remember folks, use Egoiste responsibly.

I see it's a toss up between DHI and Egoiste. I can't say I'm surprised as both of those are amazing fragrances; however, completely opposite. One being a little daring and sweet while the other a completely masculine fragrance
    I'd purchase both but it's Christmas time, got to save for the holidays

Banned
    Blog Entries

I already have Bvlgari Black which I hear is very similar to Midnight in Paris..True?
    similar, but owning one doesnt make the other obsolete. mip is sweeter, more powdery and has a little more citrus in it. less leather and rubber, but they are still present.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    similar, but owning one doesnt make the other obsolete. mip is sweeter, more powdery and has a little more citrus in it. less leather and rubber, but they are still present.
    Now, this is what I wanted to hear. Thanks man.
    I love bvlgari black but def thought it could have been a little more powdery with an inclusion of citrus in it. Definitely gonna look to purchase this one after new years.

Can DHI be repulsive in a way? I have a big family reunion for New Years and we're all gonna spend about 5 or so days together at the house, so I was wondering if it would turn off some people if I wore it around them.
    I mean who doesn't love coco during winter--but you'd be surprised

Can DHI be repulsive in a way? I have a big family reunion for New Years and we're all gonna spend about 5 or so days together at the house, so I was wondering if it would turn off some people if I wore it around them. I mean who doesn't love coco during winter--but you'd be surprised
    I wouldn't use the word "repulsive," but DHI is definitely NOT enjoyed by some people. It's a fragrance that is usually reserved for more formal, specialized occasions and is usually not worn as a daily fragrance.

Yes, many people here love DHI, but there are many here who don't care for it at all. One of the main reasons people don't care for DHI (aside from how strong it is) is because of its very strong iris note.....which many here describe as a "lipstick" smell or a woman's purse. I'm sure you know the smell. If you don't, you'll know it as soon as you smell it. It can be overpowering and usually one or two sprays is enough.

The cocoa smell, to me, doesn't come around fully until late in the fragrance, or until the iris starts to die away. A lot of people mistakenly buy DHI for the cocoa smell and are disappointed when they are overwhelmed by the iris.

If you're wanting a wonderful cocoa fragrance that has a decreased chance of being offensive, is enjoyed by most, and is very high quality, I would recommend Guerlain's L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, commonly called "LIDGE" here on BN. Or, another alternative, is to buy the less potent Dior Homme for the same overall smell as DHI, but less of the oft offending lipstick note. Still a beautiful scent.

I would pick Egoiste. I didn't care for DHI. To my nose, MiP smells like Bvlgari Black + Armani Code, and I didn't really care for Code.

+x dhi
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I'd get either DHI or Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    dior homme intense
    100% approved!
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau ExtrÍme

DHI to me just isn't as good as so many describe it to be. I much more prefer DH to DHI. I got my DH (original) fom Sephora and my DHI (reform) from fragrancenet. So idk maybe the juice isn't as fresh, I do get all of the notes that everyone speaks of but DH is far superior imo

Sample all of them! I DHI after all the hype and found it to be weak and linear, but I'm a huge fan of MIP.

Bulgari Black is simply horrendous...ground up rubber tires have always made me nauseous and it's no different with BB.
    Fall/Winter Signature: Midnight in Paris EDP by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Spring/Summer Signature: Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    My Swap Thread

Dior Homme Intense without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    DHI to me just isn't as good as so many describe it to be. I much more prefer DH to DHI. I got my DH (original) fom Sephora and my DHI (reform) from fragrancenet. So idk maybe the juice isn't as fresh, I do get all of the notes that everyone speaks of but DH is far superior imo
    I agree 100%

DHI or Mip

Love them all. Right now I'm liking DHI>MIP>Egoiste, but at times I like MIP>DHI. All three are worth owning

Banned
    Blog Entries

All 3 are good.

I say Dior Homme Intense is the best.

Egoiste unless its original formulation of DHI

I have all of them. DHI is love at first sight. Egoiste took some time to appreciate. MIP I did not like in the beginning, I felt that it was too feminen but I love it now. If I had to make a selection,

1. DHI
    2.MIP
    3.Egoiste

Go for Dior Homme, as other people have said... also I would mention L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme (LIDGE) for the orange and cocoa (more than Dior Homme).

Out of the two Chanels... I think the Egoiste is better IMO. So out of all your original choices, I would say go for Egoiste.

Dior Homme Intense for me...

dhi of course then chanel egoiste,

If you want to make a softer, cozy-manly impression, go with ňgoiste. It's very classy and unobtrusive, but definitely a statement.

Midnight in Paris makes for a more quirky, excentric vibe, but it still is a very pleasant scent Ė although with a slight dark edge.

Dior Homme Intense is, although modern and versatile, rather loud, a bit of a powerhouse. Why not test Dior Homme? A laid back version, really complex with more of the cocoa and the leather notes, but still classy and guaranteed to make you noticed.

The Antaeus is nice as well, but I have the feeling it might make a somewhat dated impression. It is a great scent, but carries a bit of a luggage as an 80's gentlemen's classic. (Even though it has been "modernised," it still has that vibe, IMO.)

With that said, you can't really go wrong with any of these, all four of them good choices, judging by your original post.
    Last edited by noitsnotme; 11th November 2014 at 04:57 PM.

All three are great. My pick would be Dior Homme Intense, but bear in mind that the other two are more versatile.

I'm not experienced as a lot of other persons here, but if you care for the opinion of the regular guy who likes fragrances:
    Dior Homme Intense smells really good. I actually like the dry/powdery iris note. It has a 'lipstick vibe', I can't deny that, but the iris smells really good. I wish the industry had chosen an other smell than iris for their lipsticks, so we wouldn't associate this fragrance whit cosmetica.

Sadly the iris note will be seen as feminine by a lot of people. To be honest I also do think it has something feminine. Nevertheless I think I will buy DHI in the future, because it smells so great. I'll just don't shave my beard to compensate for the feminity of this fragrance .

And when you use just 1 or 2 sprays the versatility improves in my eyes. I think you could even wear this on a cold winter day if you just use 1 spray.