Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 53 of 53
  1. #1

    Default Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I've come to Vol de Nuit blindly buying a bottle unsniffed, and am thoroughly delighted with it. I never used any of the Guerlains in my youth, so I have found a treasure trove to explore, late in life, the very time when I feel it is right to truly indulge myself if I wish.

    Vol de Nuit's notes are: Orange, Mandarin, Bergamot,lemon, orange blossoms, aldehydes Jonquils, Galbanum, Spices,Vanilla, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Orris, Musk

    These notes might seem nothing much to write home about, you might think, but VdN is a great composition. This an orchestra playing in perfect harmony. There are no sour notes, no instrument dominating unnecessarily, all conducted by a master perfumer who truly knows his art.

    It is like a perfect Viennese dessert, or the best Belgian chocolate, smooth, comforting, enveloping, delighting and stimulating the senses, awakening a craving for more. I swear I can almost taste chocolate, the scent is so beautiful.

    And this is the modern EDT, my goodness, how wonderful would the extrait be!! I don't dare think about that.

    My overall impression is of a complex, harmonious, perfectly balanced set of ingredients that create an aura of quiet elegance. It is the essence of femininity (Sorry guys, hands off this beauty - we girls should have something of our own lol ).

    The aura is by turns softly floral, gently spicy, languidly vanillic, delicately musky, subtle, sweet, yet not cloying or too insistent. This doesn't say 'Mommy, look at me'. This says, 'Do I please you? Wait, there's more.' in a quiet whisper.

    Now that I've found you, Vol de Nuit, I wonder how long I can enjoy you? It took me ages to get my bottle, and I'm not at all sure whether it is still being produced.

    And I'm not going into the capitalist bear pit, Evil Bay, to fight for some overpriced, old, and probably deteriorated, vintage bottle.

    Ah well, I'll take a little wisdom from L.P. Hartley, 'the past is a foreign country .....' (and we can't get a visa to live there)

    Cheers
    LiliB

  2. #2

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    Now that I've found you, Vol de Nuit, I wonder how long I can enjoy you? It took me ages to get my bottle, and I'm not at all sure whether it is still being produced.

    And I'm not going into the capitalist bear pit, Evil Bay, to fight for some overpriced, old, and probably deteriorated, vintage bottle.
    Fret not, LiliB - it is still in production. Can I ask which concentration you own? If you haven't tried the parfum, then I would heartily encourage you to obtain a sample. It is magical stuff (thanks again to a kind BNer who supplied me with some recently).

  3. #3

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    You've discovered my <3 favourite <3 perfume ever!

    I was also going to ask which concentration and vintage youre using. It is still in production in EDT today, but as the poster above me said, you would be doing yourself a massive injustive if you didnt sample a parfum extrait from before the 80s!

    Vol de Nuit is heartbreaking to me. It just makes me *sigh*...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Yes, LiliB, it is magical stuff. If you get decent longevity from the EdT, you might really want to get a vintage EdT from e.g. ebay. I think it is really lovely. In extrait form, both vintage and current are truly special. Vol de Nuit is a very personal, intimate, contemplative and rather introvert scent. The vintage is more dramatic, whereas the current to my perception is more focused on a beautiful more floral (jonquil rounded off with Guerlain vanilla and with what is benzoin I think) heart. Both are masterpieces. Period.
    Last edited by Larimar; 13th June 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: mixed up vintage and current

  5. #5

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I love the edt its all powdery soft magic. Now the parfum is not powdery but woody warm and skin close.

    Now a word of warning concerning the vintage(I am only going back early 90s and before), unfortunately VdN seems to turn quite quickly compared to the other Guerlains it seems. I have read over and over on different boards the disapoinment of those buying vintage parfum and fine it has turned. Not sure why this particular fragrance does this more than the others?
    DONNA

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I ADORE Vol de Nuit- add me to the list of swooning fans. I love it in parfum extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Chypres in general age less gracefully than orientals - those foresty notes seem to turn bad quicker than balsamic resins. Extraits, though, age better than weaker concentrations. I find Mitsouko to be the one Guerlain that can disappoint most in vintage form. Vol de Nuit do change with age, but I have found it to be in a lovely way where the galbanum just turns spicier and spicier for each year. Lovely.

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Now a word of warning concerning the vintage(I am only going back early 90s and before), unfortunately VdN seems to turn quite quickly compared to the other Guerlains it seems. I have read over and over on different boards the disapoinment of those buying vintage parfum and fine it has turned. Not sure why this particular fragrance does this more than the others?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    As I mentioned in my post, I only have the EDT. And I had a jollly hard time finding that. I'm limited to the internet to purchase my perfumes, living in a remote little bush town in Australia.

    My only wish is that VdN was stronger. It is elusive, ethereal, yet hauntingly beautiful. You get a 'taste' of it and want more, more, more. I don't think my 75ml EDT is going to last long at the rate I'll be wanting to use it.

    I have heard the term 'achingly beautiful' applied quite loosely in connection with some perfumes, but this one really does deserve that title.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I also live in Australia and make 95% of my perfume purchases online.
    If you'd truly like to experience Vol de Nuit at its finest, and forego the cut-throat jostle of evilbay, then you might wish to order a sample of the vintage parfum from the Perfumed Court, or similar.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Well, now I am confused. I surfed the net and found a modern extrait from Escentual in the UK. It's horribly expensive, converting to about AUD$270.

    So how does the current extrait live up to the vintage? Is it worth having? Given that I have the modern EDT and am quite besotted, the answer is "probably'.

    I'm a little cautious about TPC. I didn't receive a consignment from them, and having been promised a replacement, haven't seen that either. Now Australian customs and postal workers are as honest as the day is long, and I have a PO Box, so things just don't get lost. Also I bought a vintage Climat from them, and it was like dishwater, no notes left that I could detect.

    Given that samples of the vintage are relatively expensive, sometimes over the equivalent of $1000 if you were to buy a full bottle, I question the validity of spending my money that way. I'm always ready to take a punt on something I know I will like. So I will opt for the full bottle of my own every time, these days. Since February, I have ordered some 35 bottles of different perfumes almost blindly, and have only got a couple of true duds. Even they are quite wearable, just perhaps not full bottle worthy.

    I fully intend to shunt my duds off with a 'free to a good home' tag, so that at least someone else can enjoy them. It's probably better to give them to a worthy basenoter than to a charity that will flog it off for $5 a bottle to someone who uses it as air freshener.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    Well, now I am confused. I surfed the net and found a modern extrait from Escentual in the UK. It's horribly expensive, converting to about AUD$270.
    So how does the current extrait live up to the vintage? Is it worth having? Given that I have the modern EDT and am quite besotted, the answer is "probably'.
    Gosh - the Aussie dollar is strong these days!

    Anyway, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to source some vintage extrait - the current version is magnificent in its own right. If you like the EdT (but find it too fleeting), then I can't see how you couldn't love the extrait. I'm having a hard time restraining myself from purchasing a bottle.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    So how does the current extrait live up to the vintage? Is it worth having?
    r.
    I have just written a review for the directory and it shows up already. I'm no expert, but maybe my feelings and my perception help. Fascination-Perfumery has it slightly cheaper, but shipping cost is maybe what makes a difference.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Now I have the 93mls edt that fits the tall gold case(I have the gold case and a refill), but it lasts really well on me in fact a good 5-6 hours. Not sure if others can get any sillage from me but I can smell it quite clearly.
    DONNA

  14. #14

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I have the same gold case Donna 255. It does last, but very close to the skin. I don't get much sillage from it. This is why I would love to have a more concentrated version, and am toying with the idea of getting the extrait. I'm just being greedy, wanting the strongest possible aura from it.

    A big plus for me is that DH loves it. I think he might just buy me the extrait if I ask nicely. He doesn't mind spending over $200 on the Chanels, so I don't think he'll be too fussed about the cost, especially if I do a thorough job of researching what's out there.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I find that vintage Vol de Nuit parfum holds up extremely well with age. Ive extrait from the 30s, 50s and 70s. Its only the vintage cologne which I find a bit hit and miss.

    Whilst the modern extrait is wonderful, there is still something more gloomy and moving about the vintage juice.
    No need to sell a kidney for a bottle, but if one crops up for a steal, its well worth investigating.

    Im LOVING the Aussie dollar these days!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Larimar,

    You're a treasure!! I'd never heard of Fascination Perfumery, and they do indeed offer the product at a remarkably cheaper price. Now I think I can surely afford it.

    Love you!!

  17. #17
    Saintpaulia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spiritually Texas, Ancestrally Scotland
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Lili you got me curious a 2nd time tonight! All the perfumes you are trying are 5 stars in Luca. Anyway, I looked up Vol de Nuit just to see what he had to say, and the first thing that caught my eye is what the phrase means in English: Night Flight, "released two years after its namesake--Saint-Exupéry's superb 1931 novel about mail flights to South America".
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

  18. #18

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I've never read Luca. On my list of things to do. I take the 'bibles' in most fields with a grain of salt.

    I love movies and have the Maltin guide, widely regarded by many as THE guide. And I often disagree vehemently with his star rating. However, one thing has shown itself from living this long, is I seem to gravitate towards many of the good things in life.

    I'm so cross with myself that I chose to study German not French at school. It irritates the life out of me that I can't translate French, so thanks for the translation, I couldn't for the life of me remember what it meant.

  19. #19
    Saintpaulia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spiritually Texas, Ancestrally Scotland
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    I've never read Luca. On my list of things to do. I take the 'bibles' in most fields with a grain of salt. .
    Oh I just put it in caps because it is so well known on the site here. Not because it is or isn't a bible. You should read it and then make your conclusions. I find him and his sidekick enjoyable and sometimes even informative.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

  20. #20

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Since we're at it, I will point out that elsewhere LT defines the flight inspired Vol de Nuit "as adventurous as a dessert cart", and laments the demise of the formerly adventurous Caron's ode to the airplane, En Avion.

    cacio

  21. #21
    New Member cammy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    That's weird. TPC has the vintage vol de nuit, but not the current stuff available as a sample unless you want to buy it as part of a guerlain parfum sampler. Google doesn't turn up any sites that offer samples of the current juice at all. They've got full bottles, but my curiosity to try it ain't worth $350+ right now. Anyone know of any sites that offer the current juice in sample size?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by cammy6 View Post
    That's weird. TPC has the vintage vol de nuit, but not the current stuff available as a sample unless you want to buy it as part of a guerlain parfum sampler. Google doesn't turn up any sites that offer samples of the current juice at all. They've got full bottles, but my curiosity to try it ain't worth $350+ right now. Anyone know of any sites that offer the current juice in sample size?
    I'd just ask if they would sell you one anyway, even though it isn't in their catalogue.

    Also you can ask at local stores, or call a boutique and ask if they'll mail you one. (I'm assuming you are looking for extrait only.)

  23. #23

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I find that vintage Vol de Nuit parfum holds up extremely well with age. Ive extrait from the 30s, 50s and 70s. Its only the vintage cologne which I find a bit hit and miss.

    Whilst the modern extrait is wonderful, there is still something more gloomy and moving about the vintage juice.
    No need to sell a kidney for a bottle, but if one crops up for a steal, its well worth investigating.

    Im LOVING the Aussie dollar these days!
    I recently won a sealed bottle of vintage VDN from the 1930's on Ebay, and it's just fabulous. The modern is very good also, but suffers longevity problems--that must be the removal of the natural animal ingredients and old musks with better fixative properties (same problem with vintage Jicky).

    I've also heard that Mitsouko does not age well.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I agree with all the positive remarks. Today I just received my sample and out of maybe 8 samples this stood out as a winner to me.

    I see the "re fill" is sold in bloomingdales for $98. That means I get the juice but not the exquisite bottle that comes with it? Can the refill travel ?

    It sits lightly on the skin but definitely not a wash out just subtle. Still playing with it...overall excellent recommendation.

    Unisex? Yes I'd say so if worn the right way...how ? Drinks on a rooftop bar spring/summer?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful



    That's the refill of the old packaging, which can be had on evilbay also.
    Sure it can travel. I usually don't care about fancy bottles at all.
    Vol de Nuit for a rooftop bar? Why not! It wears surprisingly well in warmer weather, but is a colder weather scent just as much. Enjoy!

  26. #26

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Thanks. This fragrance is fantastic. My only concern is how it quiets down almost immediately after putting it on. I would love it if it took more time in doing so.

    I am getting very little projection from this. Is this typical of the EDT ? The parfum version at $300+ is out of the question for me.

    Thanks

  27. #27

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Now I have the 93mls edt that fits the tall gold case(I have the gold case and a refill), but it lasts really well on me in fact a good 5-6 hours. Not sure if others can get any sillage from me but I can smell it quite clearly.
    you are a lucky girl!!! so it lasts on you and you can appreciate sillage & longevity!!!

    I also have the 93 ml EDT refill for the Habit de Fete and I can hardly smell on me. The fact is that it does not last on my skin because I think it is nor properly 'fixed' but a problem with my nose also. I smell nothing. I had great expectations for this Guerlain according to users reviews but I cannot opine ... no idea how it smells.
    Maybe anosmic to this fragrance?.
    Anyone?

  28. #28

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    you are a lucky girl!!! so it lasts on you and you can appreciate sillage & longevity!!!

    I also have the 93 ml EDT refill for the Habit de Fete and I can hardly smell on me. The fact is that it does not last on my skin because I think it is nor properly 'fixed' but a problem with my nose also. I smell nothing. I had great expectations for this Guerlain according to users reviews but I cannot opine ... no idea how it smells.
    Maybe anosmic to this fragrance?.
    Anyone?
    For some reason this fragrance was DOA (dead on arrival) once it hit my skin. I really haven't experienced this with any other fragrance. There is no doubt that this is an amazing fragrance though. I wonder if the EDT is just a teaser to get you to buy the parfum version at $300+ ?

  29. #29

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    thatmakesscents, I did not want to mention that many have a longevity issue with the EdT - including myself -, since you seemed happy with the EdT in your initial post here. If you don't want to give up on it, get the vintage from evilbay or online (it is the better formulation) spray half generously your chest and neck and half on your clothes when you put on your shirt etc.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    For some reason this fragrance was DOA (dead on arrival) once it hit my skin. I really haven't experienced this with any other fragrance. There is no doubt that this is an amazing fragrance though. I wonder if the EDT is just a teaser to get you to buy the parfum version at $300+ ?
    So you understand what I am talking aboout.
    I have an average reaction on my skin to fragrances. They usually fix at my skin OK. This is the very first time I can detect NOTHING when applying. I will test ASAP the EDP and just in case I find it absolutely beautiful ...and affordable, I would get it.
    Not so alone if someone else knows what I mean.
    It is really bad to read about the supossed perfection of this scent and disabled to compare or talk about...although I have it..
    thanks all users for opinions & you for your support!!!

  31. #31

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    Not so alone if someone else knows what I mean
    No estás sola, Lorna_May - yo tengo el mismo problema*

    Ephemeral, I think, is the appropriate term for the EdT. Such a beautiful scent, but it is gone within a couple of hours on my skin also. The parfum on the other hand...............


    *(trans.: You're not alone, Lorna_May - I have the same problem.)

  32. #32

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    No estás sola, Lorna_May - yo tengo el mismo problema*

    Ephemeral, I think, is the appropriate term for the EdT. Such a beautiful scent, but it is gone within a couple of hours on my skin also. The parfum on the other hand...............


    *(trans.: You're not alone, Lorna_May - I have the same problem.)
    thanks!!

    A couple of hours would be good enough for me!!!!
    even when I have just sprayed on my wrist I try to smell and ... nothing. Utterly subtle to explain what I am smelling or detect any note...

    Will try to test EDP!!!!

    Your Spanish is excellent!!!!

  33. #33

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    So you understand what I am talking aboout.
    I have an average reaction on my skin to fragrances. They usually fix at my skin OK. This is the very first time I can detect NOTHING when applying. I will test ASAP the EDP and just in case I find it absolutely beautiful ...and affordable, I would get it.
    Not so alone if someone else knows what I mean.
    It is really bad to read about the supossed perfection of this scent and disabled to compare or talk about...although I have it..
    thanks all users for opinions & you for your support!!!
    Lorna,

    I bought 12 samples from the perfume court. When I tried vol de nuit for the first time I had maybe 5 other fragrances on my skin. It wasn't until yesterday that I tried vol de nuit again by itself and I was shocked at the lack of sillage. After all this is guerlain .

    Out of 12 samples that I received and maybe 2 weeks of sniffing fragrances at department stores VOL DE NUIT wins the title of being the least powerful scent that I've sampled.

    I seriously think the EDT is a teaser to get you to buy the eau de parfum for $300+. The scent itself definitely stands out as unique and something different. The others I've tried all have similarities and could easily be replaced by another less costly scent. VOL DE NUIT cannot be replaced.

    Every industry is experiencing hardship right now so I would assume the fragrance industry is no different..scams prevail.

    Es una estafa de primera!

    Just don't buy it. There are several fragrances I wanted to buy but didn't for the same reason...not worth the money.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    thatmakesscents, I did not want to mention that many have a longevity issue with the EdT - including myself -, since you seemed happy with the EdT in your initial post here. If you don't want to give up on it, get the vintage from evilbay or online (it is the better formulation) spray half generously your chest and neck and half on your clothes when you put on your shirt etc.
    You are correct. I had only tried it on once with other fragrances on my arm. I always appreciate the truth even if it's hard to swallow. This truth was brutal.

    Thanks for the tips.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Lorna,

    I bought 12 samples from the perfume court. When I tried vol de nuit for the first time I had maybe 5 other fragrances on my skin. It wasn't until yesterday that I tried vol de nuit again by itself and I was shocked at the lack of sillage. After all this is guerlain .

    Out of 12 samples that I received and maybe 2 weeks of sniffing fragrances at department stores VOL DE NUIT wins the title of being the least powerful scent that I've sampled.

    I seriously think the EDT is a teaser to get you to buy the eau de parfum for $300+. The scent itself definitely stands out as unique and something different. The others I've tried all have similarities and could easily be replaced by another less costly scent. VOL DE NUIT cannot be replaced.

    Every industry is experiencing hardship right now so I would assume the fragrance industry is no different..scams prevail.

    Es una estafa de primera!

    Just don't buy it. There are several fragrances I wanted to buy but didn't for the same reason...not worth the money.
    OMG another Spanish speaker here!!!! luv

    'Just don't buy it'. Too late, my friend, it was a blind purchase supported by the fact I had more Guerlain perfumes I am very happy with: Mitsouko, Jicky, Samsara, Shalimar, Jardis de Bagatelle, Chamade, all in EDT concentration which really work OK on my skin...so...why expect 'Vol de Nuit' to be different???. YES, IT IS!!!!... It is nothing on me!!!!

    More than 'the least powerful scent' I would say it is water on a bottle (IMO). I do believe if you say it cannot be replaced by other perfume so I will test it in EDP concentration. Only if I find it to be EXCELLENT I will give it a chance...

    Thanks for your post!!!!
    A pleasure to read such good Basenoter!!!

  36. #36

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    There is no edp in Vol de Nuit just edt and parfum. Actually to be honest the parfum is quite understated as well. Nothing like the sillage in the other classic Guerlains.
    DONNA

  37. #37

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    LiliB , Sorcery of Scent is right . I got a 30ml bottle of extrait half price last year. I was really happy but after opening my plane crashed . I used to wear this in 1972-approx 1986 .I couldn't afford extrait when my daughter was growing up so I wish I had stock piled it in the 1970s. I am still hoping to find a 1970's extrait I can afford because it is a shadow of it's former self. If you fall for Mitsouko then try to do the same. I never wore it but my G.P did . She retired and I missed it filling her surgery so I went to try it again and it was disgusting to be honest .

  38. #38

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    There is no edp in Vol de Nuit just edt and parfum. Actually to be honest the parfum is quite understated as well. Nothing like the sillage in the other classic Guerlains.
    yes, Donna255.
    I do not know really why I am talking about EDP when I want to mean parfum. And possibly I would agree you about you Vol de Nuit opinion as far as I have not been able to smell properly the EDT but I could do it with other Guerlain classics I have in EDT concentration. In addition, only to say some of them are from the late 70's till late 80's and seem to me deeper & richer than recently produced ones.

    thanks!!!

  39. #39

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    VdN was also made in EDC concentration, which is just as glorious. Its wonderful to splash in summer... it releases its wonderful old-world charm, and then, like a spectre in the gloom... is gone.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Posh Peasant ( U.S) decants are having a 3 day 15% off sale, lots of Guerlains to try not sure hopw many are vintage.

  41. #41
    Guest05
    Guest

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    ...
    Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:13 AM.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Asaskian View Post
    Good to see a Vol de Nuit appreciation thread.

    The first time I smelled it was at the Guerlain Boutique, the lady sprayed the Extrait on one end and the EdT on the other of the double-ended blotter, handed it to me and said: Alors, dis-moi?

    That day had been particularly hectic but you know the minute you enter the shop, all the outside noise and fuss disappears as the soundproof doors close and create this aura of an island of quiet comfort midst sound. I smelled it and sometimes I still can't believe thinking back but my knees buckled.... and I am not kidding.
    I had to sit down (lol).
    And the first thing that came to my mind was, where have you been all my life?
    Good God!

    So, yes t'is delightful.
    So lovely memories!!!!
    Only these kind of thought & feelings in a post make me believe that as you say: 'Yes, it's delightful'

    'Paris vaut bien une messe'!!!!!

  43. #43

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Hi fellow VdN lovers

    I haven't been on the forum for a while and am gladdened to see how many people share my love of this magical perfume. I've now had a chance to try the modern EDT, the vintage parfum and the modern parfum. My dear husband bought me a bottle of the extrait for my birthday.

    I find there is little difference to my nose between the two extraits. They are both truly heavenly, rich, deep and enveloping. The blend, however, is slightly earthier in the parfum (to my inexperienced nose). I actually like the EDT a little better, being brighter and lighter, however it is the lack of longevity that concerns me with it. Both the parfum and EDT dry down to the same kind of glorious rich basenotes, with the narcissus held lightly above the rest. It is the narcissus, I think, that manages to stun my senses so much.

    The parfum does what the EDT doesn't, sing loudly on the skin. Having said that, the sillage and projection are still not what, say the vintage Chanel 5 extrait was, truly potent. I could weep for joy when I wear the extrait. The senses are so fully indulged that nothing else in the perfume world comes close to it for me.

    The anosmia that Lorna May experiences doesn't surprise me. It happens from time to time to me, when I put on some perfume that I can barely smell, yet my husband assures me it has a fine sillage and carries well in the air. He can smell it two feet away, yet I barely detect it on me.

    However, if you are one of the unlucky few who cannot smell this lovely juice, I would think it is hardly worth investing in the
    AU$300+ for the parfum. I'm sure there is some HG out there for everyone. It's just that I found mine. Yesterday I ordered a backup of the EDT because I have used nearly half a bottle in a couple of months!! I am carefully saving my extrait, using it only when I really want to indulge myself. However, there are a surprising number of days when I must JUST smell that parfum. Where else can you get such a cheap thrill so quickly?

  44. #44

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I am sampling the new version of the Vol de Nuit extrait, and I don't seem to get much projection or longevity. It is the cooler weather and my dry skin?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am sampling the new version of the Vol de Nuit extrait, and I don't seem to get much projection or longevity. It is the cooler weather and my dry skin?
    From my sampling, I found it to be quite modest in that department.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Usually, it is me ranting about low projection or longevity...
    I spray all my Guerlains incl. the extraits. Longevity on me is noticeably better from the new compared to the vintage. Projection is for both moderate, but maybe the vintage slightly more, but no real difference.

  47. #47
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Among other irreplaceable things, steadily declining amounts of not only oakmoss, but also another critical and great smelling animalic fixative costus equal Vol de Nuit being less good all around. But Vol de Nuit has never been a big performer from what I can tell. I only know it back to the 70's formulations.

    Few things smell as good, though. When Luca Turin said perfume was the most portable form of intelligence, I think Vol de Nuit was at the top of the list. It's also no wonder Edmond Roudnitska considered it to be one of the best ever.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Thank you all for the input. I recall the older version having more staying power on me. It is wonderful, however.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I'd have to agree with Larimar and the others: Vol de Nuit, no matter what the formulation, has never had great longevity. I have a vintage bottle that dates to 1936 and it still doesn't outperform the modern.

    I'd second Larimar and agree that this one does seem to last better if it is sprayed, rather than dabbed.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I agree that any vintage Guerlain (or perfume in general, I assume) is quite hit-and-miss. I own a certain bottle of Vol de Nuit Parfum, I'm not sure of its exact age, but both box and bottom label suggest it's very old, say the sixties, and it's - and I'm not exaggerating - the most long-lasting, powerful and spicy of all the Guerlains I own. It feels as if the chypre aspect, galbanum, oakmoss and gum resins, have macerated into a thick, dark, spicy glue that stays muscular and dense on the skin for at least 10 hours. It's really remarkable, and very surprising: it even outperforms my vintage Shalimar Parfum. I'm speculating whether letting a new bottle age and macerate could bring about part of this stunning effect - or will modern materials not age as gracefully as the old ones? We won't know until 2050...


  51. #51

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    I'm glad to see that there are others who love Vol de Nuit. I had assumed I liked it because of an oedipus complex--it was my mother's favorite. I remember the room filling with its aroma as she got ready to go out in the evening and how she smelled of beautiful musk when she got home. This was in the 50s, so I guess her bottle may have real natural musk in it. Whenever I smell natural musk I am reminded of her; ambergris has a similar effect.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Vol de Nuit is in my main rotation and it never leaves my "first" scents list!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Vol de Nuit - delightful

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

    Few things smell as good, though. When Luca Turin said perfume was the most portable form of intelligence, I think Vol de Nuit was at the top of the list. It's also no wonder Edmond Roudnitska considered it to be one of the best ever.
    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but could you (or someone) please share this interview or article where E. Roudnitska sais that.
    I've read that Roudnitska said something similar about Bois des Iles:

    "What is not in doubt, however, is the talent and taste of Ernest Beaux, nor his temperament which allowed no one the privilege of telling him what to do. His best composition was not No. 5, which has always been cleverly promoted, but rather the magnificent Bois des Iles of which Chanel has never taken full advantage." http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/01/25/the-magnificent-bois-des-iles/

    Somehow both Vol de Nuit and Bois des Iles share some similarities in my view - both are almost androgynously woody, both share same spicy gigngerbready accord...

    But is it possible that Roudnitska said almost identical things about both fragrances? The fact that they were probably ones of the best from their houses and both most overlooked?

    If so - it seems very strange that he himself created the brightest fragrances of the time like Diorella and Eau Sauvage.

Similar Threads

  1. Courvoisier L'Edition Imperiale - a delightful find!
    By jenson in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th January 2013, 12:43 AM
  2. Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery
    By purplebird7 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 15th May 2012, 02:40 AM
  3. Delightful missing frag!
    By thatsmr2usir in forum Missing Fragrances List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th April 2010, 11:37 AM
  4. Royal Delight...Delightful!
    By Texican in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 27th February 2009, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •