Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Seeking Scent Closest To Musky Male Armpits

Hey Y'all,
    This might be an impossible fragrance search, but I'm gonna try anyway. My partner and I really enjoy natural scents, and he really loves the way my armpits smell at the end of the day on the weekends when I shower in the morning but don't put on any deodorant and go do yardwork outside. By the end of the day I have a strong, musky armpit smell..not a gross "I smell like a bum who hasn't showered in weeks" smell, but just a strong, musky/oniony armpit odor.

So I'm trying to find a fragrance that gets closest to this smell, whether it's a cologne, oil, pheromone..whatever works. I've read some Deer Musks and Androstenone smell like male BO, but not sure if this is true or where to get it. I figure this way on the weekends when I don't get to go outside to build up a sweat (it's too damn cold..lol) I can still make my partner happy. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Seeking Scent Closest To Musky Male Armpits

If there was such a scent would you wear it only at home? The reason I ask is the whole idea behind wearing a fragrance is to not smell like armpit,but if thats what you like try this. Take onion ,curry ,coriander,and maybe some magoram fry it up and tweak the ingredients until you get the desired effect.The only drawback is that you house will smell funky.Or go steal some dirty shirts from your local laundymat and sniff away.

This seems to be a theme lately...check out this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239643

ps - I still think Declaration by Cartier is the closest.

Just keep not-washing
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Serious perfume lovers might hate me for this, but maybe Jovan Musk gives me a certain remote sweaty suggestion WITHIN a musky frag.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 14th November 2009 at 12:56 PM.

I'll take it one step further Ken_Russell - Avon's Wild Country. It even makes me recoil.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Anything with cumin in it.... Cumin can often smell like armpit - fragrances with a big cumin dose include Kingdom by Alexander McQueen, Rose 31 by Le Labo, among others. Might want to check the database for cumin threads (use the search function).

Declaration by Cartier smells more to me like armpit + antiperspirant, and stays somehow enjoyable.

The reformulated Rochas Femme smells like the pits.

Come over here to Malaysia and try not taking a bath for 1 day.

I would say Gucci Pour Homme that the musky armpit smell.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

a dab of MKK after drydown might achieve this, perhaps as the result of the cumin.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

hmm...

If you have access to durian, try rubbing some of the flesh on your armpits. That should definitely give you
    that oniony, sweaty, musky, scent.

Eau d'Hermes
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    This seems to be a theme lately...
    Indeed. One should think about a Peculiar Fragrance Forum to collect such threads. There's an awful lot of it.

Smile Re: Seeking Scent Closest To Musky Male Armpits

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am going to look for samples of the fragrances suggested on ebay (I live in a rural area so the nearest department store is far away) to see what smells best.

Sofresh commented how this seems to be a theme, and I did indeed read that other thread suggested, but that thread seemed to drift off into something else, and I wanted to be really specific about what I wanted. As for DesGrieux's suggestion of a "Peculiar Fragrance Forum", I really don't think there is anything peculiar about Mother Nature's original fragrance..lol. Especially when you consider how many fragrances use ingredients that mimic natural body odors. But I understood what you meant, especially when we live in a world that keeps insisting we all need to smell like something other than what we naturally are.

I have also noticed that there seems to be an underground movement to get away from fragrances of any kind. Many of my male friends seem to lose interest in wearing cologne's the older they get. And the ones that do keep wearing them usually start switching to simpler, more natural one base fragrances, like Vanilla, Vetiver, Patchouli or Cedar/Pine.

Oh, and yes, this fragrance I am looking for was meant only to be used at home to get my partner in the mood. I would never knowingly assault a stranger with my strong musky scent..that would be criminal..lol.
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

I agree with the Serge Lutens MKK suggestion, although it smells more like balls than underarms. From what you've said, your partner would probably love it on you. It's expensive, but as close to what you want as you're likely to find. If the price is too much to deal with ($140 for 50 ml) then check out some Keihl's Musk which is somewhat similar although less extreme and much less expensive. He might also like Kouros for its "sex in a men's room" vibe. I'm just sayin' ...

Tonyprince thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look for some samples of the Serge Lutens MKK on ebay, as I imagine that fragrance would be too exclusive for the nearest dept. store we have, which is only a Dillards.

And I chuckled when you mentioned Kouros' "sex in a mens room" vibe, as images of George Michael flashed through my head..lol. But I have noticed from reading the threads here that Kouros has a huge following, so I need to research it more to find out what the majority of users think it smells most like and what it's notes are.

As for the Musk, I really think I need to research this area more, but will def check out the Keihl's you mentioned. There seems to be a wide range of musk reactions, and although the only musk I have encountered is the common Jovan Musk and Alyssa Ashley Musk oils, I know those are pretty generic and probably not the best quality of what is available.
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Seeking Scent Closest To Musky Male Armpits

Ruggles: Before I scrolled down to see you post I thought the same thing. Rochas Femme is ruined for me because of the cumin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The reformulated Rochas Femme smells like the pits.

Basenotes Institution

Try Jardin du Nil by MPG. Although once the stinky, armpit, stinky-cheese top notes fade, you will have to like florals because that's what it smells like afterwards.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Come over here to Malaysia and try not taking a bath for 1 day.

I would say Gucci Pour Homme that the musky armpit smell.
    *LOL*

Also Kiehl's musk seems to fit........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've only tried it as a sample, but Yatagan seems to have a healthy "yes, I have spent all day outdoors" feel to it.

Hey Guys,
    Well, after reading all the wonderful suggestions on this thread and the other thread about "mans sweat" scents, I came up with the following list of samples I am going to order from The Perfumed Court. Let me know if I am missing anything that you really think I should try.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan
    Cartier Declaration
    Alexander McQueen Kingdom
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
    Hermes Eau D'Hermes EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    Caron Yatagan
    Robert Piguet Bandit EDT
    Etat Libre d'Orange Secretions Magnifique
    Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    Comme des Garcons Series 6 Synthetic - Garage
    Diptyque L'Autre
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

eeh...??

This is a unique tread - I must say we recoil from natural body odor because we cover it up with fragrance. In some countries deodorant and perfume are not used and it does not bother those or other individuals because their nose has become accustom to it.

I find we all have body odor like it or not and I have found over the years my nose has become very sensitive to it - possibility through training my nose to detect perfume notes. Now I am not speaking the smell of not wearing underarm deodorant and such - I am talking like a body musk.

Though my experience I have found men carry this scent very heavy and it resides mostly in their bedroom. Point in case my friend just a few months separated from his wife - he is now leasing a condo for himself. Last weekend I dropped by to see him and he wanted to show me a new Bose system he purchased for his bedroom. Once I stepped into that room I could smell he marked his territory -

Back to the subject - fragrance is subjective what we might like say Shalimar my repulse Nightbird and vice versa - ! To each his own and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbird_ View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Well, after reading all the wonderful suggestions on this thread and the other thread about "mans sweat" scents, I came up with the following list of samples I am going to order from The Perfumed Court. Let me know if I am missing anything that you really think I should try.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan
    Cartier Declaration
    Alexander McQueen Kingdom
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
    Hermes Eau D'Hermes EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    Caron Yatagan
    Robert Piguet Bandit EDT
    Etat Libre d'Orange Secretions Magnifique
    Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    Comme des Garcons Series 6 Synthetic - Garage
    Diptyque L'Autre
    Nightbird, I think the Gucci fragrance you'll want to order is Gucci Pour Homme, not Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. I think you'll find what you're looking for in Declaration, Kingdom, Eau D'Hermes, Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme, and Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai khan
    Last edited by nthny; 15th November 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Eau d'Hermes
    I agree. The cumin does it - it smells very natural.

Thanks for the info on the Cumin guys, I will definitely research what other fragrances are heavy with it.
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

I know it's been mentioned a few times but want to echo that Eau D'Hermes should do the trick. I have recoiled several times after sampling it. Not that it smells terrible. It's just that it really does smell what you are looking for, which is not that appealing to me. But what the hell, what ever floats your/his boat. I must say, though, that there is something about it (the more I smell it) that makes me want to keep smelling it. I wouldn't dare wear it around the GF, though. She's pretty picky about hygiene and my two showers a day barely cut it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by brrrry View Post
    She's pretty picky about hygiene and my two showers a day barely cut it as it is.
    Thanks for the recommendation Brrrry, I will definitely get a sample to try.

Wow..I hope you use a moisturizing soap if your showering twice a day..yikes! If it was me, I would lay down the law and tell her one shower a day is plenty, and that she needs to accept a certain amount of your natural muskiness. Trust me, after a while, she will begin to like it.

Keep in mind that there have been tests done that show if your partner doesn't at least accept what you smell like naturally that it's not a good sign of compatibility. And I'm just talking about regular muskiness, not "oh my god who let the skunk in the house" stuff.
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

I would suggest "Dans Tes Bras" by Editions Frederic Malle,
    there is no much onion in this, but it is very sensual & smells like sexy musky skin sweat in a good way.
    Last edited by tariq; 17th November 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Very interesting Tariq, I will try to find a sample of this!
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

As a fellow Armpit Junkie, my advice to you is to not buy anything. NOTHING compares with armpit funk. Just wash off leftover deodorant and let nature run its course. It doesn't take long for a girl's armpits to get aromatic (and she barely sweats in the summer, while I'm dripping like Patrick Ewing at the freethrow line), so I'm assuming you'll be funking up the place in an hour.

Last edited by Spray; 26th January 2010 at 03:49 AM.

Agree with Eau d'Hermes (armpit and leather), Kiehls Musk (armpit and flowers), Kingdom (armpit and rosewater), Yatagan (armpit and pine), and I'll add Bal a Versailles (armpit and vanilla), Knize 10 (Kiehl's with more leather) and Jicky (classic armpit). I love all of these, sometimes for the animalic, sometimes for the other notes and most often for the mix.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I just threw up in my mouth. Honestly, no offense intended, but this is just vile.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth. Honestly, no offense intended, but this is just vile.
    Yeah, I know. Some discussion of dirty or funky fragrances is one thing, but this thread goes a bit too far into "Jack Tors" territory.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 26th January 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Adding Parfums d'Empire Aziyade and Yuzu Fou
    Evenstar

Honestly, I was afraid to click this thread, but it's not as bad I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Parfums d'Empire Aziyade
    Ooh yes, this one does it bigtime -- especially on a hot day.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

For God's sake, WHY, man?????? I want to smell 'pleasant," not like vulture food!

Le Labo's Rose 31 is a more user friendly version of Luten's MKK. The MKK borders on being offensive or vulgar. Rose 31 has the same dark musky undertones without repulsing those near you.

Al Oudh (L'artisan) or Rose31 (le Labo_

um, I am perplexed by how someone can be aroused by the "oniony " smell of someones armpit lol. to each their own. but Cartier Declaration is right up your musky alley. I do agree i love the way my man smells in the morning . The back of his neck is so heavenly . Holding him and sniffing him while he is sound asleep..heaven. gosh i love him. anyway sorry got off on a tangent..anyway yes, cartier.

Surprised no one's mentioned Fahrenheit. I haven't smelled it in a while, but it strikes me as pretty armpit-esque. Armpit doused in aftershave and a pinch of everything in the spice rack, but armpit nonetheless.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 8th February 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    For God's sake, WHY, man?????? I want to smell 'pleasant," not like vulture food!
    This is the best article on why to smell like flowers mixed with a sweaty saddle or armpits. (The smell of a ballroom dancer, in his white-tie-and-tails, the scent of his wool suit, his perfume mingled with sweat...now where did I put my smelling salts...)

Another vote for Kingdom...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th February 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The very reason I love Terre d'Hermes so much is that it allows my natural smell to provide a signature depth to it in the base. TdH imparts no musk components that I know of, the human aspect is provided by the person wearing it. I know at the end of the day, TdH has a element of my own smell to it, that most other scents mask by basenotes that intercept my own unique smell instead of letting it shine. Just another nice aspect of Terre d'Hermes IMO.

Now granted the smell of my armpits is not what is melding with Terre, but it is my natural smell of my body as a whole. This seems much more alluring and pleasing than armpits I would think. I suggest Mitchum's Unscented Antiperspirant, and then let the rest of your body do the talking.

You might also want to try Lutens Serge Noire or L'Artisan Al Oudh.

The perfumed court will be easier than trolling eBay

Kiehl's musk will be the easiest to find and the least expensive.

PawelL

Eeeugh!

Wow - from this thread, I've got a lot of things to try. But I have to disagree about the ones I know. Jicky and Rose 31 don't smell like musky male armpits, the just have undertones of stale BO, kind of like an old Aunt who doesn't shower enough. Cartier's Declaration on the other hand is very French in that it works perfectly on top of a natural scent, making your own musky armpits smell very, very acceptable to almost anyone and downright seductive to those of us who like people who smell like people.

Quote Originally Posted by jcepiano View Post
    Le Labo's Rose 31 is a more user friendly version of Luten's MKK. The MKK borders on being offensive or vulgar. Rose 31 has the same dark musky undertones without repulsing those near you.
    i have heard some say this about mkk as if its this dirty sillage beast...funky and destroying all in its path....i get none of that...its definitely got a cumin smell to it, but on me it is the most pleasant smelling frag i own...so natural, to me its musky but in a natural i just washed and worked out sorta way(without the onion funk!!! which imo is awful smelling, but to each his own)

I would certainly reccomend kingdom though its ungodly expensive theses days.....i would also look into Kouros cologne sport...it has more of that "body odor" vibe with less urinal cake than its brother Kouros.

Also look into sandalo e the by bois 1920, right up your ally...its funky! Rose Poivre is another you should look into
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I get the armpit smell with many vetivers. I never understood why so many thinks vetiver is a fresh scent. Maybe there's something wrong with my nose... or armpits...

fleur du male

I don't know why this thread is so horrific to some. A lot of fragrances we've come to know and love have civet notes and animal musks in them (although these days of course they are synthetic since use of animal musks was outlawed).

One of the common musks we are all familiar with is that "sex smell" which is post-coital - no matter how clean and homogenised we start off with at the beginning, the room will still end up with that smell at the end. Personally I love it and have never found a fragrance which has been commercially produced which comes close to it. Oh well it just means we have to make it ourselves.

The thing we have to remember is that for all our high ideals, we are actually just animals the same as any other primate. The natural musks we produce are designed to be attractive to the opposite sex (or the same sex depending on your inclination of course). I love the scent of a woman's musk, it turns me on like nothing else.

Let's not shy away from realising that a lot of perfumers, as illustrated by this thread, have tried over the years to combine the underlying funk of human body musk with other things.

Great thread I think.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

The funk of armpits has nothing to do with musk, and everything to do with the bacteria that grow in that moist environment. This is why I think that animalics such as civet etc. miss the mark by miles. Cumin seems to come the closest to me, but really, no fragrance I know of smells like armpits. And like several others, I don't know why you would want to smell like armpit funk.

Its all horses for courses as far as Im concerned , whatever floats your boat and all that jazz . But any cumin heavy fragrance might hit the mark or would I be wrong in thinking it would be more of a pheramone thing that was needed

Interesting thread (quite!), but to me most of the frag recommendations miss the mark. As some of my fellow posters have pointed out, nothing - nothing! - smells like bona fide musky male armpit, and all the fragrances people are recommending merely smell like the vaguest kind of "body odor" and something else (BO + cumin, BO + rose, etc.) If you want to smell like the real thing when the weather turns cooler and you can't work outside any more, just put on an extra layer or two of clothing - thermal undershirts work great IMO - and let nature (i.e., your own natural bacterial stew) take its course.

If we're talking about smells to enhance one's own funk, though, I think that too differs from person to person. As for me, anything with vetiver in it blends fabulously with my own body chemistry, especially when I don't use deodorant to occlude/interfere with the scent. Your mileage, however, may vary. But for me vetiver (the more the better) comes closest to the healthy unwashed armpit scent you describe.

I think the topic starter is actually looking for scents with pheromones.

Jeez, I just got a sample of Serge Luten' MKK and now I think I know why so many people hate BO - or at least what they think BO smells like. Which is MKK after it dries down. Ugh mostly. To me, MKK, Rose 31, Musc Ravageur and a lot of the rest of this class smell like what deodorant deteriates to by the end of a long day but nothing like natural body odor. Maybe that's why I love Eau d'Hermes so much, that reminds me of a nice natural male scent and maybe since it was created way back in 1951 that's what men smelled like before the arrival of these vile deodorants that leave you smelling like MKK. I skip the dedorant, wash really well and wear some great scent.

Banned

How to make your own stinky sweat fragrance in a few simple steps:

1/ Fill a glass jar with alcohol
    2/ Chop 2 onions in small pieces
    3/ Add onions to alcohol
    4/ Add 2 tbs salt
    5/ Stir and shake while chanting:

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Add a little catnip for a spicy top note, and an old sock for a funky base note.

Stir and shake whenever you pass your jar.
    Leave for a week, then filter the brew into a fancy cologne bottle.

Voilà! You now have your Eau d'Odor!

Smile and say:

By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Last edited by Madame du Barry; 5th October 2010 at 08:57 PM.

I would have to add Liz Zorn's Tobacco and Tulle has this sexy vibe.

Tuberose and cumin with tobacco. Like resting one's head on the shoulder of a virile dandy wearing floral fragrance in a time before antiperspirant.

http://www.soivohle.com/n.tobacco.tulle.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

kouros