Code of Conduct

Smile Ody's Christmas list: scents for the season

Hi to all! I wish it was Christmas all year 'round, since I love coniferous and incense-based scents.
    Here is my list of top fives. I invite others to add. Mine represent my particular favorites, and I admit I like things on the dry side. I'll be interested to see what others suggest.

Coniferous
    Creed, Epicea
    Slumberhouse, Norne
    L'Artisan Parfumer, Fou D'Absinthe
    L'Occitane en Provence, 4 Voleurs
    Ayala Moriel, Bois D'Hiver

Incense
    Czech and Speake, Frankincense & Myrrh
    Profumum Roma, Olibanum
    i Profumi di Firenze, Incenso
    Comme des Garcons, Zagorsk
    Neal's Yard, Frankincense

Best wishes to all!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Ody's Christmas list: scents for the season

I am like a kid again at Christmas time, I love everything about it, especially the smell of the tree. I sprayed a sample bottle at a Tommy Bahama shop, and I instantly thought of Christmas. It had it all, pine, cinnamon, incense. I need to go back and get the name and possibly buy a bottle.

Love the ones below on your list:

Creed, Epicea
    L'Artisan Parfumer, Fou D'Absinthe
    L'Occitane en Provence, 4 Voleurs

For the season some good fragrance choices would be:

Yatagan
    Hinoki
    Aventus
    Fille en Aiguilles
    Gentiane Blanche
    Noel au Balcon
    Zagorsk

Basenotes Institution

Good list Ody, I must get out my sample of Norne and test it soon, many people talk highly about it.

I'll add to the list: Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain (Ody have you ever smelled this one?) and Eucalyptus & Pine (Living Cologne) by Jo Malone.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great to see you, Ody!

Arquiste Aleksandr. This has a fir note.

By Killian Sweet Redemption. A great incense note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

+1 Fille en Aiguilles

I have been saving a small decant of this specifically to wear on Christmas day.

Thanks to all for these great suggestions. Mike, you ask if I've ever tried AA Winter Delice. No, I've heard of it but haven't seen it, of course it is discontinued and hard to find. I'll be interested in your take on Norne. Did you ever get to try Pino Silvester?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good list Ody, I must get out my sample of Norne and test it soon, many people talk highly about it.

I'll add to the list: Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain (Ody have you ever smelled this one?) and Eucalyptus & Pine (Living Cologne) by Jo Malone.
    I might as well throw in this lovely poem, a tribute to winter and the pine forests of Russia.

The snow below the bluish skies,
    Like a majestic carpet lies,
    And in the light of day it shimmers.
    The woods are dusky. Through the frost
    The greenish fir-trees are exposed;
    And under ice, a river glitters.

"Winter Morning" by Alexandr Pushkin
    Last edited by odysseusm; 12th December 2012 at 03:12 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Christmas Eve: Frederic Malle's L 'Eau D'Hiver
    Christmas Day: Fille En Aguille

Basenotes Institution

Ody, I still have not properly tested Pino Silvestre, no reason...I'm just awash in samples (the pile keeps GROWING, argh!!!)

Perhaps Santa may send you a sample of AAWD for you to smell
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Burberry London
    Boss Bottled
    Eau des Baux

Great thread! I'd like to add Knize Forest, a smart-casual forest-green-dry niche scents, quite suitable for winter wear, but then again, pretty much suitable during the whole year, with equally spectacular wearability during both cold and warm weather.

Also, a scent suitable for wintertime and, at least to my nose, combining both a forest-like and even an incense note, is Sandalwood by Crabtree&Evelyn, a surprisingly affordable, apparently quite linear sandalwood scent with a resinous, spicy and almost incense-like, also slightly leathery base after developing for a certain while.

Overcome By Fumes

Caron Nuit de Noel

I also love Ayala's "Bois d'Hiver".

As for incense-based scents I can strongly recommend "Mecca Balsam" by La Via del Profumo. Actually the first thought that I had when I smelled the sample was: It smells like Christmas! Don't let the name "Mecca Balsam" distract you, it fits perfectly for Christmas with its warm and cozy smell, with the uplifting frankincense and the sacred and festive vibe. I can even smell some gingerbread in it!

Merry Christmas to everybody!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 12th December 2012 at 12:44 PM.

I wore Granville earlier today and then revisited Balsamo della Mecca this evening, coincidentally, sp there's your conifer and incense.

I make a point to have the Diptyque Pine Candle at the studio this time of year, just feels right.

Christmas Day = Arabie for me, can't help it, it's become a tradition

All the Best, all.

How about that Bois 1920 Sushi Imperial for that spiced Christmas-y feeling.

Basenotes Institution

Ody, Santa asked me to tell you to clear up your Private Message box.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Rocabar, Polo, Michael Kors, Egoiste

Ody, Santa asked me to tell you to clear up your Private Message box.
    Good ol' Santa! Gotcha.
    odysseusm

Bogart Witness
    Burberry London

Parfum d'Empire's Wazamba should go on this list I think. Resins and conifer, but with the apple pie and spices thrown in too

Ody, great list. My favorite Christmas/pine scent is probably Fou d'Absinthe, although I'm getting to know Norne as well.

Another that puts me in the mood for the holiday season is Slumberhouse Rume. It's a myrrh scent and really reminds me of Christmas. Would be interesting to layer this with a good frankincense fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I might as well throw in this lovely poem, a tribute to winter and the pine forests of Russia.

The snow below the bluish skies,
    Like a majestic carpet lies,
    And in the light of day it shimmers.
    The woods are dusky. Through the frost
    The greenish fir-trees are exposed;
    And under ice, a river glitters.

"Winter Morning" by Alexandr Pushkin
    I would love to have a Winter Morning scent with notes of fir, woods, earth, snow and ice, just like the smell of a winter forest. I'm still searching for that perfect "walk in the woods" scent, and I would prefer a winter or autumn walk in the woods.

Basenotes Plus

Nice thread. I'm going to wear Norne to go hiking the weekend before Christmas and Tea for Two on Christmas Day.

Seasons greetings Ody! What a lovely thread.

L'Occitane used to do a Frankincense and Myrrh fragrance in little bottles at Xmas time. It was lovely. I went in to get some the other day to discover that they don't do it any more. Drat!

There are some great suggestions for piney fragrances here. Fou D'Absinthe is teriffic. I haven't tried some of the others. I fancy Fille en Aiguilles, Bois D'Hiver and Winter Delice.

If I have been a good girl this year (instead of just an old one), Santa just might bring me some Chergui not piney, but nice for Xmas I think.

Creed Epicea and Yatagan.

Basenotes Institution

I searched my Slumberhouse samples and darnit there is not one for Norne, although it seems that many of them are pine/forest/Christmas-tree-centric. I'll be sampling many of them all the way leading up to the holidays.

My personal, feels-like-Christmas scent (that I plan on wearing to the Xmas party my office is having Friday night) is Hermessence Ambre Narguile. Thanks to a BN buddy, who sent me a huge sample, I'm set!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

A timely thread. I would add Arso by Profumum to the coniferous list.

I realized that I never reviewed a worthy contender for this list -- Serge Lutens Five O'Clock au Gingembre. So, here's my take. Gingerbread cookies and tea!

This is a nice scent, and a bit surprising in style coming from Lutens -- it is not heavy, gourmand, or sweet.
    There is a very brief burst of sweetness at the beginning, but this burns off in a couple of seconds. Interesting spices are framed by bergamot, suggesting cookies and Earl Grey tea. There is a satisfyingly dry pepper note, and a very bright and attractive ginger-spice note at work. In the background is bittersweet cocoa, which adds a dusky, almost smoky note. This is a cozy scent, lovely in cool weather.
    odysseusm

Some good Christmas fragrances IMO are Cedre Olympe, Fille en Aiguilles, Egoiste, and Ambre Narguile. I need to track down C&S Frankincense & Myrrh - I dont think I have tried that one yet, but sure looks like it may something I would like.

Anyone know where I can order Czech and Speake samples online in the US?
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

If I go out on Christmas, I'll wear A*Men Pure Leather. I'm surprised at how it climbing up the A*Men flankers line up in my collection

Tobacco Vanille
    Norne
    Five O'Clock au Gingembre
    Incense Avignon

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Seasons greetings Ody! What a lovely thread.

L'Occitane used to do a Frankincense and Myrrh fragrance in little bottles at Xmas time. It was lovely. I went in to get some the other day to discover that they don't do it any more. Drat!
    If I have been a good girl this year (instead of just an old one), Santa just might bring me some Chergui not piney, but nice for Xmas I think.
    I suspect the frankincense & myrrh scent by L'Occitane was called Eau D'Iparie. I've heard of it but haven't tried it, and as far as I know it is discontinued.
    Foustie, I hope Santa brings you some Chergui -- of course you've been a very good girl!
    odysseusm

Fille en Aiguilles is fantastic and so appropriate for holiday festivities.

Honorable mention:

Sybaris for spices
    Gucci Nobile is a nice green fragrance that lasts all day

I second the Chergui for Christmas.

Here's some news on the wonderful Fou Absinthe. L'Artisan Parfumer has come out with body products based on their four most popular scents (Fou D'Absinthe, Mur et Musc, La Chasse aux Papillons, and Premier Figuier). In Fou, I can get shower gel and body milk (the latter makes good aftershave balm). These are lovely products and continue the same great Fou D'Absinthe character of licorice, bitter artemesia, warm spices and cool coniferous notes. Layering is excellent with these!
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

I heard about these body products also Ody, and of course when I heard that one of them was FdA I instantly thought of you. I'm sure the combination of all of them with the fragrance is wonderful. I personally would use the shower gel in a hot bath...enjoy!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

treeman5823

Fille en Aguilles is probably a good addition, as is Incense Rosé.

Oh, and don't forget about Incense Extrême, which, after its fennel opening, smells of crisp, dry wood.

Serge Luten's Rousse is high on my Holiday list for it's wonderful potpourri, red hot candy like cinnamon note. I love this one during this time of year. It always reminds me of those cinnamon and clove scented pine cones and decorative brooms they have in the home decor stores.

... I personally would use the shower gel in a hot bath...enjoy!
    Great minds think alike, mike. I did exactly that this morning.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

A kind BN'r sent me a sample of Norne and I just sprayed some on. Wow...you guys aren't kidding. Even more so than Fou d'Absinthe, this is like an entire Christmas tree in a bottle. I plan to give it a full wearing tomorrow. I imagine everyone in my office will wonder where that 'Christmas Tree smell' is coming from.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

A kind BN'r sent me a sample of Norne and I just sprayed some on. Wow...you guys aren't kidding. Even more so than Fou d'Absinthe, this is like an entire Christmas tree in a bottle. I plan to give it a full wearing tomorrow. I imagine everyone in my office will wonder where that 'Christmas Tree smell' is coming from.
    hey mike, so glad to hear that some Norne landed for you. It's incredible -- it is the real deal. Glad you like, post another note tomorrow with the full wearing! I find that it wears very well throughout the day.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing it today. It's amazing how many different interpretations of 'pine' you can encounter. This smells nothing like Fille en Aiguilles or AA Winter Delice or Arso, yet it does smell like a real tree. In the ground, alive. I have some Christmas candles around the house that have a 'pine' smell, which I enjoy during the holiday season, and yet those smell so synthetic compared to Norne. There is a solid, rich warmth to the Slumberhouse scents that make them feel like you're blanketed with the scent when you wear it, and mind you I didn't need to over apply this. 3 tiny sprays from a plastic atomizer and I imagine I will be scented all day, just like I was when I sampled Sova (which BTW I wore to bed, and now my pillow and sheets smell like Sova).

Smelled from far away, when I catch whiffs of myself I smell the pine needles, the moss, much more 'foresty'. When smelled up close on my skin, it's sharp, resinous, slightly acrid and medicinal. It is very linear, but I'm okay with that.

I am not sure I would like to wear this at other times, besides the holidays, it is so olfactory-specific. At least to my nose.

Nonetheless, I am loving it.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well, my package of NORNE arrived today and I'm definitely a happy camper. A sample is great, but there is something quite satisfying of having a lovely bottle to use. It smells great, just outstanding in every way.
    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all! ody
    odysseusm