Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do so many people recommend to spray eau du toilette on the chest?

I ask this because surely spraying on an area that's going to be instantly covered up with a shirt would mask the strength/total scent of the fragrance?

Default Re: Why do so many people recommend to spray eau du toilette on the chest?

I spray on the chest when I wear a button down and leave the first button open.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do so many people recommend to spray eau du toilette on the chest?

Precisely, that area would be uncovered so it'd be the same as spraying on your wrists/neck etc.
    Many people spray on the chest completely covered though?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olive94 View Post
    I ask this because surely spraying on an area that's going to be instantly covered up with a shirt would mask the strength/total scent of the fragrance?
    As far as I'm concerned, that's a feature, not a bug. I prefer my own scents to stick close to my bod, and waft out a little, subtly, with movement, and I VASTLY prefer other people's scents to stick close to theirs -- particularly since so many people wear fragrances that trigger my situational asthma!

I read threads on here talking about "20 sprays" and am pretty sure that being within ten feet of any of those posters might well make me pass out. I am not looking to hold hostile takeovers of elevators with my fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heat rises, as your trunk heats up, the convection rises the fragrance which is channeled through your collar, up your neck to your nose...
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Heat rises, as your trunk heats up, the convection rises the fragrance which is channeled through your collar, up your neck to your nose...
    ...and the spray on my belly is for ME! LOL! It all rises, man!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dark Knight Rises.....

I couldn't resist.......

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    ...and the spray on my belly is for ME! LOL! It all rises, man!
    your body heat turns it on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olive94 View Post
    Because it's home to the main pulse point (apical). Other factors to consider is that it's a huge target or area. Also, the shirt will absorb some of the scent which will project.

Post Thanks / Like

I often spray ONLY the chest under my clothes, and most days i'm wearing two layers (a T-Shirt and a hoodie). I find it VASTLY improves longevity (by avoiding nasal fatigue). 6-8 sprays is the norm for most average strengh EDT's.

I of course wouldn't follow this method if I was going out for the night and wanted to project.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the urban legend/commonly known wisdom about this, I too followed this advice, first out of mere curiosity and it did actually work increasing projection/longevity etc., the scent often protruding at sufficient strength (again, I can only speak from my own experience) even through the fabric of the shirt.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it's good for the more powerful scents.

usually i spray at the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

I do this because I wear scents for myself, not for others. I can smell it every now and again and it's fantastic! But I don't bother the entire room. Like noirdrakkar says, it's especially good with a powerhouse.

^ Agreed
    There are some sillage monsters out there and not everyone likes to standout in the crowd. Some people are very shy and wear colognes only for themselves, for confidence and pure enjoyment.

Then, there are others who like to be mysterious with their scents. They don't like to overpower the crowd but they want a person walking by to catch just the highest standout note and be like wow what is that smell, it's amazing.
    sometimes, a little goes a long way.

Me personally, I like to standout

So, I spray 30 everywhere and want a girl to be able to smell me from a mile away whether she likes the fragrance or not
    Last edited by socalwoman; 11th December 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: removed an f-bomb

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

I agree with Noirdrakkar. Spraying on the chest is beneficial only when you are applying a powerhouse fragrance. Other than that, on my skin it is a waste of fragrance. I prefer spraying beneath the earlobes, back of beck, or forearms.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned above it doesn't project. Spraying on the chest is for yourself not for anyone else. The smell wafts up from your chest to your own nose as you move about during the day

Some juice gets on your shirt making your scent last longer but if you wear fragrances to attract attention then no need for the spray to the chest.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it occasionally with fragrances that have good projection just to get that periodic waft of aroma, especially with an open collared button down shirt.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Post Thanks / Like

Body heat works well for the scent. If some gets on my undershirt I can make the top notes last longer. I feel safe that I'm not going to be bothering anyone with my scent, but with a button open I get wafts of scent all day.

I find most people who question this practice want their scent to have maximum projection and sillage, but as I wear my scent for myself, and, as someone who is allergy prone and spent most of my life hating perfume and perfume wearers, I understand the impact my scent may have on others.

No reason you can't combine chest sprays with spraying on other areas. I find I adjust my spraying habits to the perfume (closeor diffuse spray, locations, etc.) depending on the effect I want or how each individual scent performs. This is a bit of a trial and error process.

Post Thanks / Like

Its for when the ladies tear your clothes off, they get another strong whiff of your scent and just go beast mode on you...at least that's what I tell myself.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Post Thanks / Like

mes amis, apply the scent to your chest. Right on the heart.

Why do this? Because it is good.

As others have mentioned, this method often works well for powerhouses/stronger frags, when spraying on exposed skin would seem a bit too much. For example, I sprayed just 1 shot of some vintage M7 on my chest, under my shirt, about 5 hours ago, and am still getting very frequent "wafts" of that nice drydown coming up. If I would have sprayed my neck or onto my clothes, I'd be overwhelmed with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    This. The body heat seems to work best with fragrances when sprayed on the chest. Projects it more and allows you to smell it better.

Under a shirt, heat is generated by the torso. As men also have hair on the chest, this helps hold the heat and disperses fragrance. I would presume hairy men retain fragrance longer, and also have better sillage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

No reason you can't combine chest sprays with spraying on other areas. I find I adjust my spraying habits to the perfume (closeor diffuse spray, locations, etc.) depending on the effect I want or how each individual scent performs. This is a bit of a trial and error process.
    100% all depends on the fragrance.

In my experience though hair, clothes, etc. do not project. They hold on to scent and it lasts on them, sometimes for amazing lengths of time, but they don't project precicely because of this.

Personally I tend to vary between spraying my arms - wrist and inside elbow - the pulse points on my neck, in the hollow of my collarbone, back of the neck or hair and chest. With an EDC I'll rub it on my hands like lotion and apply to my chest and neck, and with parfum always just a drop or two in the hollow of the collarbone or behind the ears, but some, like BAV, as too insane and must be moved further away from my face. Otherwise I decant them into roll-ons with small metal rollers so I can distribute better without wasting the precious juice or creating an overbearing cloud of scent.

With a very light EDT like Herba Fresca I might spray both inside elbows or wrists, or one and dab it onto the other, and then my flanks or chest, or both and put a few extra distant sprays onto my hair and shirt. Often with such lighter scents I'll pop some into a travel atomizer in order to freshen up during the day. This is also handy for self-defense against scent criminals wearing Angel or Flowerbomb.

Other times I'll put one close spray on the chest and use a roll-on to get a very gentle application in other areas. I also favor roll-ons for some of my very strong, insanely long-lasting scents like Joop! Homme, Sables, a few Montales, BAV, and some vintages.

The aim is to smell it myself, but not so consistently that I end up killing my nose, and for others to notice. Notice as in hopefully catch a waft or so if they're nearby. Not be gassed from ten feet away.

1. Because some fragrance smell better from sillage (not upclose) and otherwise are cloying for you and other people around you
    2. Because you wont get nose fatigue as fast as when you spray closer to your nose
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

So people actually spray their chests with colognes for reasons that have to do with the physics of the scent molecules? Sillage, longevity, projection? Interesting. I thought it was because they liked the tingly feeling of the evaporation from their nipples. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like spritzing on my forehead so the chest comes in handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Why do so many people recommend to spray eau du toilette on the chest?

because on the groin burns like mad! LOL
    "Why should I care?...Why should I care?..."

5:15 - Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Wearing 2 sprays of A*men on the belly area and chest area of my shirt (not skin) : )
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what if you have a hairy chest???

I mention this because I prefer my fragrance when applied to skin, not hair, as it takes on a different character when applied to hair. Spray the underside of your wrist (no hair) and the back side of your wrist (hair) and you will see what I mean.

As a hairy chested gent, I prefer to spray the lower part of my neck and avoid the hairy chest. I believe it still accomplishes the same desired effect....

It's an addition to what you already spray.
    For example. Today I sprayed 1 on my chest, 2 on my neck, and 2 on my shirt.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!

But seriously, +1! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    because on the groin burns like mad! LOL
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

I do it b/c Robes08 has a good point. The first spray is always on the chest to prime the atomizer in case you haven't worn the fragrance in a while and it's a weak half spray. Also, it's just nice to have an extra shot in case your body warms up.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Apart from the urban legend/commonly known wisdom about this, I too followed this advice, first out of mere curiosity and it did actually work increasing projection/longevity etc., the scent often protruding at sufficient strength (again, I can only speak from my own experience) even through the fabric of the shirt.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Some people want to be reserved.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

My current rule of thumb: one to each side of my neck, one to my chest. If its a light scent, or one I love, one more to my stomache. 3 to 4 is my range, for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I always start off with a spritz to the chest EXCEPT if its a silage bomb. The vapors tend to waft upwards towards your nostrils and could have unpleasant side effects, example; nausea, headaches etc.. The culprits in my wardrobe being Vetiver Extraordinaire, Piper Nigrum, Espice Noir etc>>>If that the case I tend to spray on pulse points away from my chest, neck etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Chest works for me; if I want to project I add well-perfused areas like the neck and earlobes.