Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone tried John Varvatos 10th Anniversary EDT?

I went to a local store today and saw this lying among testers with a box next to it like it was new. I tried it out expecting something just so-so like the other varvatos fragrances, but boy was I surprised! This fragrance is gorgeous. If I had the money I would have bought it in a heartbeat, especially since they only had one. The reviews on fragrantica are so off, it's baffling. People describe it there as cinnamon wood with citrus. It is, in actuality, a beautiful, high quality, and well-blended amber fragrance that could easily be mistaken for a Le Labo, Serge Lutens, or CB I Hate Perfume fragrance. It has a spicy, warm bergamot/labdanum opening to give it that cola-chypre feel up top with a heavy, dense, leathery patchouli orpur (a fancier, dewier, sweeter patchouli?) and amber base lurking beneath. As it dries down, the labdanum/patchouli accord sits just barely above the rest of the leathery amber base in an utterly stunning presentation very reminiscent of Ambre Sultan, Patchouli 24, and Ambrosius(with the latter definitely being the closest, as it is basically a labdanum fragrance). The patchouli/labdanum is perfectly done. It's vaguely animalic and there is absolutely no cheap wood! I'd recommend everyone run out and buy this stunner right away before it's gone, but, well, it seems it already is. I can't find it anywhere online. I guess I really should go buy that bottle, huh?

My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone tried John Varvatos 10th Anniversary EDT?

Its very smokey and too heavy pull off in warmer weather. I owned and sold it but the SA gave me 2 ML 12 samples, so I have a mice size decant. Agree that it is a nice scent but its wear-ability didnt agree with me. I believe this one to be sought after, after a few years go by for collectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Its very smokey and too heavy pull off in warmer weather. I owned and sold it but the SA gave me 2 ML 12 samples, so I have a mice size decant. Agree that it is a nice scent but its wear-ability didnt agree with me. I believe this one to be sought after, after a few years go by for collectors.
    It's definitely leathery and a bit dark. I do think if maybe more people had been able to sniff it this would be an M7.
    My Top Ten:

I love this one and it doesn't get talked about much. I was a bit confused by it at first, but I do find it to be a really good dark amber which is also dry and has a nice bitter leather accord. I'd go back and grab it if I were you-- this is one of those scents that I don't wear all the time, but I do get really intense random cravings to wear it. It's addicting and high quality indeed.

Great stuff!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

This was nothing like the usual Varvatos. Quite overlooked and underrated. I believe that it may have been better received under a different name. I own it and enjoy it a great deal.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Post Thanks / Like

How limited was the release of this fragrance? I can't find it for sale anywhere...
    My Top Ten:

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you buy this at? It practically vanished as soon as it was released.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

I had this fragrance, used a couple of samples and then I bought a full bottle. I kept that bottle unopened for about 4 months and in the end I returned it to Macy's and used the money for something else. Yes, I really liked this fragrance, and I loved the cinnamon note. BUT, it did not last on me. Something I have noticed in general with John Varvatos fragrances. They just don't last. It may become a collectors item I guess. But this one, even though I loved the fragrance, I made a decision that other fragrances that lasted longer were a better buy for me...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wearing this on a very gloomy day. It's very warm and spicy. Good Winter scent, along with the JV Vintage juice. My son wears the original JV very well.

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me a bit of Halston Amber Man (or is it Man Amber). Same ambery, powdery feel with hints of chocolate.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been testing it this week too, after having loved the initial impression at the store. The first two hours are quite pleasant and balanced sweet/spicy patchouli indeed, and this is my favorite from this company, but I also am a bit disappointed with its tendency to fade into nondescript faint woody/amber/patchouli in a relatively short time. Not sure yet if I will grab the one bottle left on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I've been testing it this week too, after having loved the initial impression at the store. The first two hours are quite pleasant and balanced sweet/spicy patchouli indeed, and this is my favorite from this company, but I also am a bit disappointed with its tendency to fade into nondescript faint woody/amber/patchouli in a relatively short time. Not sure yet if I will grab the one bottle left on the shelf.
    I got mine in a swap. It's nice, but I would not pay full retail for it. Vintage is worth it, though IMHO.