Code of Conduct

Red face Help me find the fragrance suited for me!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and forums in general actually...I don't know much about perfumes and fragrances either...

I have been wearing eternity since I was 15 (weird choice, but i liked it and didn't care about what should be worn and what shouldn't, or what suited teenage girls...) and I know a lot of people think it has a very synthetic smell but I liked what seemed to be the simplicity of it to me. And the purity too.

I am looking for a new perfume though, before christmas, and I'd like to have your opinions.

I have discovered a few, like pleats please, that I like, or mademoiselle ricci, but I know there are a lot more options out there.

I'd like something that suits my personality and age.
    I am 25, I am french and live in France, I work in the performing arts, architecture and new technologies. I am creative, modern, but I also like a touch of vintage and melancholy in many domains of my life: Clothing, decoration...I like being creative on many levels, making my own clothes, jewelry, cooking...I like music above many things, and reading too (electronic, experimental, indie, classical, minimalist, hip hop music and russian or contemporary japanese or american literature)

I am reserved but not really shy, I try to be as honest as possible but never hurtful, I am very sensitive and an eternal dreamer. when my therapist once asked what the six most important words were for me, I replied: Learning, Experiencing, Resilience, Love, try and creativity.

Physically I am small and thin, I have long dark chocolate hair and black almond eyes, full lips and thick, well defined eyebrows, a small nose, and oval-shaped face. I wear simple clothes, but I always try to give my outfit a little twist with nice details, I like sober colors, I wear a lot of grey and black, blue and grey jeans, but i like adding a colored touch with lovely patterns on scarfs, or tops, or funky boots, a lovely necklace or a hat. I love the brand "Pyrus london" or Hussein Chalayan, Nina Ricci or All saints.

I find women like Ronit Elkabetz, Melanie Laurent, Sofia Coppola, Sui He inspiring or/and beautiful.

I don't smoke, and i tend to like vanilla-ish smells, or white musk, but not so much powdery smells. i have a rather sweet body odour, going towards dried apricots or wheat sents.

I know this is random and I am giving what might be really unnecessary details but I'd really like to get great suggestion so I can go check them out next week and find one that makes me think I want to smell it all the time or want the smell to become part of me...

Thank you in advance for the help.

Irismk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me find the fragrance suited for me!

Welcome to basenotes, Irismk!

The two fragrances that sprang to mind on reading your post were L'Heure Bleue & Anais Anais, then l read that you don't like "powdery"! l hope you will give these a chance, though.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

The first thing that popped into my head was Caron's Le 3me Home/Third Man. I have the vintage juice but hear that the current version is still very nice and slightly challenging in a good way,

Welcome to basenotes!
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Very nice to meet you, irismk. Please look around and stay.

I loved your description of yourself, and like you I am resilient and like sober colors (may I steal this one from you and use it as mine?), creative and an eternal dreamer. There are so many possibilities fragrance-wise for you out there! It is very hard to recommend and that's my explanation for the lack of responses. You know yourself fairly well and you know what you want exactly from your fragrance, so please venture out there and go sniffing. You are in France, for crying outloud, and there is no lack of sniffing places.

Out of multitude of scents with vanilla vibe, I would recommend two: Dior Hypnotic Poison (that might appear too strong on the initial application so please spray judiciously) and the whole lineup from Le Maison de la Vanille (with 5 or 6 offerings). OK, another one for this time of the year -- Mauboussin de Mauboussin (plums, benzoin, amber, cedarwood).

To further help you, please list what you (your friends ro relatives) used in the past and what were your reactions to these fragrances.

Hi Irismk.

I used to wear Eternity a lot. I'm going to recommend some fragrances from what you've told me about yourself and not necessarily based on your love for vanilla and musk.

Frangipani by Ormonde Jayne

L'Air by Nina Ricci

Un Lys by Serge Lutens

Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle

Gardenia by M. Micallef

La Petite Robe Noire (parfum) by Guerlain

Voyage d'Hermes Eau de Parfum by Hermes

Rubj by Vero Profumo

I hope you find what you're looking for soon.
    Do happy