Code of Conduct

Default Smoked Shalimar...

...would you buy it?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Smoked Shalimar...

I don't think so. Why add a smoky note to a masterpiece and ruin it?
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Many people would say that Shalimar already has plenty of smoke. That said, a dark, smoky oriental sounds interesting ...

cacio

Only if the composition was well balanced. I only really LOVE Shalimar in its vintage extrait form, but there it is an unrivalled masterful blend of balsamic, smoky, animalic notes.

I probably shouldn't be allowed on Basenotes when I'm drunk, I seem to have some odd notions regarding what constitutes a meaningful thread, and a meaningful fragrance for that matter! That said, I am interested in discovering fragrances with pronounced smokey notes and I'm interested in any suggestions.

Funnily enough, you made more sense when drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Funnily enough, you made more sense when drunk...
    Ha, I'm blaming the hangover this time!

For smoke, I'm thinking Tauer Lonestar memories or Le Labo Patchouli: campfire smoe (or chemical factory explosion). The Tauer then has a more spicy base, while the Le Labo is woodier.

cacio

So, you are looking for a fragrance that smells like Shalimar with a more pronounced opoponax/incense element? Please clarify.

Meantime, please check Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    So, you are looking for a fragrance that smells like Shalimar with a more pronounced opoponax/incense element? Please clarify.

Meantime, please check Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax.
    There's not much to clarify, as I explained In was drunk and wondering what a smokier Shalimar would be like. That said, I am looking for frags in general that are built around smoky notes. Thanks for your suggestion, I shall endeavour to check it out. Same goes for Cacio, I'm liking the idea of a wood smoke accord.

Try Comme des Garcons Incense Series: Avignon. Zagorsk, Ourzazate, all five of them.

Caron Infini has a definite burning something note. And I second the Lonestar Memories rec.

About Shalimar, my best friend in high school wore it, and she was also a heavy smoker. For some reason, the combination of smells really worked on her, and I loved the way she smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    About Shalimar, my best friend in high school wore it, and she was also a heavy smoker. For some reason, the combination of smells really worked on her, and I loved the way she smelled.
    This sounds amazing. It's so sad that the smell of a heavy smoking woman wearing vintage Shalimar is one that has essentially become extinct. We commiserate about reformulations of this or that - this is a truly "discontinued" masterpiece. Don't get me wrong - I don't encourage smoking at all. I think smoking is horrible - for what it does to a person's body. But I have to admit that aesthetically speaking it's beautiful.

It sounds like I need a sample of Jasmin et Cigarette.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    This sounds amazing. It's so sad that the smell of a heavy smoking woman wearing vintage Shalimar is one that has essentially become extinct. We commiserate about reformulations of this or that - this is a truly "discontinued" masterpiece. Don't get me wrong - I don't encourage smoking at all. I think smoking is horrible - for what it does to a person's body. But I have to admit that aesthetically speaking it's beautiful.

It sounds like I need a sample of Jasmin et Cigarette.
    I agree, actually. Should mention, though, that the cigarette in Jasmin et Cigarette smells unlit - not smoky. Still, try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I agree, actually. Should mention, though, that the cigarette in Jasmin et Cigarette smells unlit - not smoky. Still, try it!
    I read the reviews after typing that and then realized it's probably not at all what I had in mind. I thought I remembered LT's review of this suggesting it was much more smoky.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll be in possession of a sample of Jasmine et Cigarette just after Christmas along with 24 other ELDO frags - rather looking forward to that! Thanks for all the smoky suggestions too, some new additions to my 'To Test' list there!

Basenotes Institution

Try 2 Man by Comme des Garcons and Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque.

Also, if you can, get a hold of some vintage Shalimar extrait - it's extremely smoky, almost smelling sort of like gasoline when you apply it that sort of burns off into sweet vanilla smoke. Magical stuff.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle