Code of Conduct

Default Smoked Shalimar...

...would you buy it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Smoked Shalimar...

I don't think so. Why add a smoky note to a masterpiece and ruin it?
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

Many people would say that Shalimar already has plenty of smoke. That said, a dark, smoky oriental sounds interesting ...

cacio

Only if the composition was well balanced. I only really LOVE Shalimar in its vintage extrait form, but there it is an unrivalled masterful blend of balsamic, smoky, animalic notes.

I probably shouldn't be allowed on Basenotes when I'm drunk, I seem to have some odd notions regarding what constitutes a meaningful thread, and a meaningful fragrance for that matter! That said, I am interested in discovering fragrances with pronounced smokey notes and I'm interested in any suggestions.

Funnily enough, you made more sense when drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Funnily enough, you made more sense when drunk...
    Ha, I'm blaming the hangover this time!

Post Thanks / Like

For smoke, I'm thinking Tauer Lonestar memories or Le Labo Patchouli: campfire smoe (or chemical factory explosion). The Tauer then has a more spicy base, while the Le Labo is woodier.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

So, you are looking for a fragrance that smells like Shalimar with a more pronounced opoponax/incense element? Please clarify.

Meantime, please check Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    So, you are looking for a fragrance that smells like Shalimar with a more pronounced opoponax/incense element? Please clarify.

Meantime, please check Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax.
    There's not much to clarify, as I explained In was drunk and wondering what a smokier Shalimar would be like. That said, I am looking for frags in general that are built around smoky notes. Thanks for your suggestion, I shall endeavour to check it out. Same goes for Cacio, I'm liking the idea of a wood smoke accord.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Comme des Garcons Incense Series: Avignon. Zagorsk, Ourzazate, all five of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Caron Infini has a definite burning something note. And I second the Lonestar Memories rec.

About Shalimar, my best friend in high school wore it, and she was also a heavy smoker. For some reason, the combination of smells really worked on her, and I loved the way she smelled.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    About Shalimar, my best friend in high school wore it, and she was also a heavy smoker. For some reason, the combination of smells really worked on her, and I loved the way she smelled.
    This sounds amazing. It's so sad that the smell of a heavy smoking woman wearing vintage Shalimar is one that has essentially become extinct. We commiserate about reformulations of this or that - this is a truly "discontinued" masterpiece. Don't get me wrong - I don't encourage smoking at all. I think smoking is horrible - for what it does to a person's body. But I have to admit that aesthetically speaking it's beautiful.

It sounds like I need a sample of Jasmin et Cigarette.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    This sounds amazing. It's so sad that the smell of a heavy smoking woman wearing vintage Shalimar is one that has essentially become extinct. We commiserate about reformulations of this or that - this is a truly "discontinued" masterpiece. Don't get me wrong - I don't encourage smoking at all. I think smoking is horrible - for what it does to a person's body. But I have to admit that aesthetically speaking it's beautiful.

It sounds like I need a sample of Jasmin et Cigarette.
    I agree, actually. Should mention, though, that the cigarette in Jasmin et Cigarette smells unlit - not smoky. Still, try it!

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I agree, actually. Should mention, though, that the cigarette in Jasmin et Cigarette smells unlit - not smoky. Still, try it!
    I read the reviews after typing that and then realized it's probably not at all what I had in mind. I thought I remembered LT's review of this suggesting it was much more smoky.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll be in possession of a sample of Jasmine et Cigarette just after Christmas along with 24 other ELDO frags - rather looking forward to that! Thanks for all the smoky suggestions too, some new additions to my 'To Test' list there!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Try 2 Man by Comme des Garcons and Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque.

Also, if you can, get a hold of some vintage Shalimar extrait - it's extremely smoky, almost smelling sort of like gasoline when you apply it that sort of burns off into sweet vanilla smoke. Magical stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac