Code of Conduct

Default Question about Chantecaille's Frangipane

I've just used up a sample of Chantecaille's Frangipane from Surrender to Chance which was listed as "Original Version". I'm not ready to plunk down $175 on the 75ml bottle, so I was going to get another sample, but when I scouted Perfumed Court's site, it's listed as a "Reissue" version.

Does anyone know if there's any difference to the nose, or if there really are two versions out there? My on-line search yielded nothing, so I'm not sure whether there really were any changes made in the eight years since it's been released.

Thanks.

Default Re: Question about Chantecaille's Frangipane

It's a pleasant scent, but I have heard nothing of reissue save the fancy collector's edition bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Can't answer your question, but love Chantecaille Frangipane. Before investing in a FB, please try other frangipane-based fragrances, like Annick Goutal Neroli (to amplify the vanilla element, please use a vanilla-based lotion on the rest of your body), or when on a budget, Roberto Cavalli I Love Just Cavalli for her (many of their fragrances sound similar, this one should have a heart on the bottle and packaging). Diane from Diane von Furstenburg has an exquisite combo of frangipane and violet leaves with smokey undertones, I have not tried flankers though.
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th December 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Primrose, I researched the Limited Edition version it looks like it was simply a gimmick to sell a $600 bottle with hand-applied Swarovski crystals by an Australian artist names Cimon, pronounced Simon . Apparently, he's best known for giving Paris Hilton a pink 30K crystal-encrusted motorcycle for her 30th birthday. If I could figure out how to cut & paste the image here, I would, because it's a stitch! Bike riders will be horrified.

Twolf, It must have been about an hour before your post that I was putting on AG's Neroli. How funny! Unfortunately, my brain only picks up sweet smoke, like a recently extinguished campfire that someone dropped an orange into. I'm probably over-appyling; my problem when I'm trying to use up a sample. BUT, I trust your judgement and have added Cavalli and DVF to my List to Try. I'm also going to try Ormande Jayne's version.

I'll email TPC and STC to see if there really is a difference and test drive them both.

Thanks for the responses.

Right, about Ormonde Jayne, give her a try too while you are on it.

Basenotes Plus

Schilling, you can get Chantecaille Frangipane in a rollerball version for $68.00 from Saks.

It's technically not Frangipani, but the closest one to the Chantecaille scent I know is Tom Ford Champaca Absolute. Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani is surely worth a try, it's beautiful.

Thank you Kiliwia, but for me I love walking into a big, delicious cloud of atomized scent. But you got me thinking about how to pry that little plastic ball out and transfer it to an atomizer. Could it be more economical than purchasing it from STC or TPC?? I'm cheap, so I ran a price check. Neiman Marcus sells the pretty roll-on with it's little faux-croc pouch for $68/7.5ml. STC sells a 15ml spray for the same amount (no croc) and TPC sells an 8ml spray for $45. Crazy.

Bonsai, I've gotten lucky with so many Tom Ford's, so I'll definitely add Champaca Absolute to my "Test" list. Thanks for the tip.

At Twolf's suggestion, I recently ordered the Ormonde Jayne from STC. Apparently, it's quite popular because it's been on back-order for the last six weeks! Time for an email prompt.

For the past few weeks I have been mulling over whether to blind buy the current version of Frangipane or not. The reviews seem to be pretty much consistent in the opinion that its pretty darned good, but its a lot of money to plonk down on 75mls without getting more opinions that detail why its so good.
    I've somewhat sated my craving with Songes EDT but its not giving me that allure that Frangipane promises.

Just to give a different perspective, I've tried Frangipani at a Saks late last year - don't know which version it was. Not bad, but nothing special to my nose, a clean, inoffensive white floral. But then I'm not too fond of plain white florals in general. I'm not a big fan of the Ormonde Jayne either, though the OJ feels more complex to my nose.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Thank you Kiliwia, but for me I love walking into a big, delicious cloud of atomized scent.
    I totally agree with you, I'd much rather spray too. I tried out the Chantecaille Frangipane at Nordstroms last winter and it is beautiful. I already have the Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Absolute so I can't really justify buying it, maybe someday, lol.

Cacio, I know that your nose would have considered this a no-no.

Yes, the price is prohibitive considering the wealth of more interesting options out there to play with. At least it keeps Frangipani from being too ubiquitous a scent. I'll stick with the occasional decant when I need an easy, pleasant, summertime fragrance that I won't smell on many others.