Code of Conduct

Default Rochas Man = Body Kouros (Shopping Woes)

OK I know you want to yell at me.

Let me just point out that I didn't say this. The new lady at my local perfume shop did. After trying to sell me a playboy perfume, even though I'm not twelve. I asked if she had a tester of Rochas Man (I'm curious to see how simmilar it is to New Harlem because the notes are fairly samey) and she said no. So I asked her if she had smelled it and she said yes. I asked her what she thought.

'It's sweet.'

'OK. How about the vanilla and capuccino notes?'

'Oh, it has a lot of notes.' now she reaches for Body Kouros, 'Actually it smells like this. Would you like to try anything else?'

'I'm looking for something obscure. Something femenine.'

'Oh. Try this.' she picks up YSL l'homme. I asked her if she had smelled New Harlem (I know, waste of time) and she just gave me a weird look. At least she didn't say she's never been to New York.

At this point the other lady must have noticed the look on my face so she came and rescued me. She lets me snoop aound behind the counter so I can read and test for myself. Much better. Earlier the young girl told me I couldn't go behind the counter, it was 'staff only,'

Thing is you can't see the prices from the counter itself. Which wouldn't be so bad if the SA was content to just hand over the bottles you ask for and relay prices, but they insist on being 'helpful,'

I asked the older lady - we're on pretty friendly terms - what the deal was with Ditzy McFlake and she said she was going to be taking over (!!!) although she promised to talk to her about the whole going behind the counter thing.

This store is like my second home. Once, a few years back, when my ex moved in I remember coming home one day to find all my stuff, furniture and appliances all moved around and some gone and her stuff all mixed in with it. Same kind of feeling.

Anyone think it might help if I give Ditzy McFlake the URL for basenotes?

Default Re: Rochas Man = Body Kouros (Shopping Woes)

Great idea !! it can only help the Ditzy McFlakes of the fragrance counters .
    Some years ago now , i gave a young lady at a chemist the url when she commented on what i was wearing (( Habanita )) she was quite knowledgable & did pay attention to my 3 or 5 minutes worth .
    Never seen her since so i don't know if she's amongst the female members here .
    So best of luck opening the door for that one & welcome to Basenotes Miket ...
    cheers

High street S.A's are all completely clueless. To be fair, they're not there for their expert knowledge, they're there to flog what they've been told to flog by their bosses.

Ditzy McFlake! Lol! Don't forget Miket - I am, you are, we're all Australians!

Overcome By Fumes

If she's new, she's probably nervous, and not sure how to handle the client who may know more than she does, especially in front of the more experienced clerk. She may have been trying to show her control over the situation or who knows what. Give the poor woman a chance to chill a bit...there's quite a bit to know in this world and some learning curve. If she loves the smellies, you will find out soon enough, and she will be delighted to find bn, but if she's just there because it is a job, then I don't see any need to inflict the basenotes card on her.

Definitely wouldn't hurt her.

Body Kouros isn't that bad a suggestion. At least it wasn't Le Male!

'I'm looking for something obscure. Something femenine.'

'Oh. Try this.' she picks up YSL l'homme.

I LOL'ed at this
    Out of all the unisex fragrances, she had to pick a very elegant and manly scent.
    I could see a female wearing l'homme but there's nothing feminine about it.
    SA's are an abomination. There should be a school to get into the fragrance industry.