Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Highly reviewed fragrances that you dislike?

Fahrenheit Not a fan at all, couldn't get through the first 30 minutes or so.

A*Men Pure Malt I can't figure out why this has such a following. There are numerous boozy fragrances out there that do it better than this.

Amouage Opus VI This has a perfect score in the database but I simply do not find it appealing. I think it is quite well composed, in terms of how it progresses and changes over time. But, I don't like the main accord of pepper and amber, especially with near nuclear projection.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Lately:

4. Terre d'Hermes. Used to like it, but now it just smells . . . off . . . to me.
    This is how I feel about it as well. This was one of my favorite fragrances for years. The new stuff they put out now is a complete waste of money in terms of longevity, sillage and smell whether it be the parfum or edt. The old edt I use to have was fantastic.

YSL Rive Gauche (yuck! Old man in a bottle to me)
    Terre D'Hermes (I have a sample of the edp and hate it. I do like the edt slightly more).
    Chanel Egoiste (love Platinum, but hate the animalic note in this one).
    Habit Rouge (same as Egoiste, weird, funky, animalic note)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (love cinnamon & black tea, but the violet leaf note clashes & doesn't go with these).
    Bvlgari Black (leather note is way too strong & gets up my nose giving me a headache. Same goes for Midnight in Paris)
    Blue de Chanel (like the top, but not the base. Too much incense & nothing else).
    Bond No 9 New Haarlem (too sickly sweet. All I get is maple syrup over a weird woody note. No coffee to me)
    Cartier Roadster (the mint needs to be sweeter & the sour/herbal notes need to be toned down).

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    There's something about Knize Ten that grates on my senses...industrial shoe polish?
    This is probably #1 on my dislike list.

Also

DH and DHI
    LIDGE--Didn't hate and was well made but I found it too "perfumey"
    Rive Gauche--Way too overpowering and not my barbershop
    Musc Ravageur
    YSL L'Homme and all its Nuits and others--too powdery sweet
    Fahrenheit(2011-12..newer..not classic 88-90s)
    LeMale
    L'Eau D'Issey

So basically everything anyone else likes
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

A*Men and all its flankers.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have to admit that I dislike (even hate) most of the Serge Lutens-stuff, but the number 1 on my "hate-list" is definitely "Messe de Minuit" in the current edt-formulation. I can't even tell how much I hate this cheap and vulgar smelling mess of a perfume!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 13th December 2012 at 05:37 PM.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Parfums de Nicolai New York.....not sure if my sample from TPC was the original formulation but yuck!!!

1) Farenheit - WTF. how is this even econsidered cologne????
    2) Dirty English - liquid dirt.
    3) Thierry Mugler Ice*men - Way too much patchouli just overwhelms and makes you gag.
    4) " " A*Men - Never caught on to the whole "wearing a desert" thing, leave that for bath and body works.
    5) La Nuit D'Lomme - Had high hopes before I smelled it, now...way too "off"
    6) Burberry Brit for men - Womens is amazing, mens is a mix between young man and old lady.

I have plenty more those are just the most depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    Musc Ravageur...smells like an old lady's ass powder and Nivea face cream. No thanks
    What on earth were you doing sniffing an old lady's ass???????

I honestly thought that Tom Ford Extreme smelled like sh*t when I first tried it.

And I honestly still do.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    La Nuit and Terre DHermes. I don't dislike them, but I'm nuetral on them.
    These 2 add the following

Kouros
    Habit Rogue
    Blue De Channel
    Platinum Egoiste

Creed Millesime Imperial - Salt water + bleach + a drop of lemon. I keep trying it. Thinking I gotta be missing something... nope.

Dior Leather Oud - The smell of barnyard animals. Why anyone would go out of their way to smell like this, I have no idea.

Amouage Interlude Man - A complete mess of notes. Ghastly.

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur - Smells like urine to me.

Knize 10 - A sweaty dated leather scent that reminds me of the 1980s. I can't help but think of the Village People when I smell this.

YSL Opium - The epitome of cloying. I can't wait to get it off me within 5 minutes.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Where to begin?!

Terre D'Hermes, EDT or EDP
    Habit Rouge
    Gucci Pour Homme I
    Bulgari Black
    Bulgari Aqua + Marine (bleugh)
    Midnight in Paris
    Antaeus
    Kouros
    A*Men (+ TOF + Cuir)
    Dior Homme + Intense + Cologne
    Armani Code
    Boss Bottled
    Encre Noir
    Musc Ravageur
    GIT and/or Cool Water
    Yatagan
    Most stuff with Oud (though I kinda like M7)

Habit Rouge and Tiffany -- I think it's the POWDER in both that don't agree with me -- along with Farenheit (for other reasons) would be near the top of this list for me.

OK, erm, well, first off I really dislike Davidoff Cool Water. To me it's a horribly fake scent of the seaside, but it's not just that - there is something in it that I appear to be sensitive to and which actually makes me gag. Maybe it's calone?

I also don't like Green Irish Tweed. I don't know what it has in it, but for me it has an aquatic feel that I really don't like. But I disagree with those who say it's close to Cool Water - I find it really very different. To me it is much better than Cool Water, with a superior and more subtle blend of fragrances. But I still don't like it.

I'm not a fan of Terre d'Hermes, or Sycomore, or any of those with that fake woody smell - is that the Iso Super E? I don't dislike them, and I think they're fairly decent, but I wouldn't buy a bottle.

Dior Fahrenheit, unfortunately, I don't like either. I say unfortunately, because I love the immediate opening. To me there seems to be a great floral/fruity thing that I can't quite put my finger on... but then the gasoline/petroleum hits, and I get a hint of rubber too. It's like I've stepped out into a garden full of flowers and fruit trees, and suddenly from nowhere comes a gang riding Harleys and rips the place up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    What on earth were you doing sniffing an old lady's ass???????
    And can you actually buy "old lady's ass powder"?
    Alan

Anything Mugler
    Citrus & Wood
    Le Male
    Polo(green)
    Safari
    Tuscany Uomo

There are others that slip my mind right now, but typing this list was beginning to depress me.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

YSL - Kouros
    YSL - Jazz
    Ralph Lauren - Safari
    Thierry Mugler - A Men
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes
    Creed - Aventus
    Creed - GIT
    Christian Dior - Fahrenheit

Musc Ravageur
    Egoiste
    Boucheron Jaipur
    Ambre Sultan

Having to smell it on a colleague all day today has prompted me to really, intensely dislike La Nuit De L'Homme. I don't think I'll ever view it in a positive light again.

There is something about Live Jazz that throws me off and I now it's just ME. I am probably allergic to the synthetic cilantro note, though it does not mean that it's not loved as many people do.

LIDG
    Grey Flannel
    Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by hullhockey91 View Post
    1) Farenheit - WTF. how is this even econsidered cologne????
    +1...

• Spicebomb (Don't get the love at all. Hated this at first sniff, hated it even more on second sniff.)
    • Cool Water (I prefer GIT by leaps and bounds over this.)
    • Aramis (I like leather chypres - see PdN New York and John Varvatos Vintage - but this isn't my cup of tea.)
    • Gucci Envy for Men (Smelled like Old Spice on my skin. And Old Spice is far cheaper.)
    • Gendarme (Smells like the hotel soaps that Marriott used to give out before they went to Bath & Body Works products.)
    • YSL Live Jazz (Smelled like a dirty catbox and lemon air freshener to me.)
    • Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (Too much anise. Interestingly, a family member who loved it on me raised a ruckus when I swapped it!)
    • Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men (One of only a handful of scrubbers that I've ever had to face.)

Honorable mention:
    • L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme (Great on others, but not on me.)
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

got nothing from...aventus.

If the title of this thread was "...fragrances that you LIKE" I feel the same names will pop up. I have to constantly check the subject of this thread. Weird in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    I greatly dislike Chergui. Not sure if it's the honey notes or what, but something about it reminded me of garbage.
    I was hoping for this. One of the most wretched fragrances I have ever come across. Senior citizen scent 101.

Yes. Mostly older fragrances that folks have warm feelings for but no longer smell good.

Agree with Fahrehneit. I like it but the gasoline is too much. I will say that those who have smelled vintage say it was much better, so maybe that's the reason for this (I've only smelled current).

Kouros. Dated

Most older Guerlains, including Habit Rouge. I think folks have a love affair with the history of Guerlain, so they decide they love these scents because they want to.

Chanel No. 5 (aldehydes immediately say "roach spray" to me)
    Bulgari Black rubbery sweetness = nausea
    Tokyomilk Marine Sel
    Angel -- oh, God, no
    Insolence
    Halston for women (vintage) smells of rummage sale clothes
    Arpege
    calone anything

The most prominent being Cuir de Lancome. It smells cheap, IS cheap. Actually, I think it really is terrible.

Fahrenheit
    A*men original (just the worst ever)
    LIDGE not bad, just not works well on my skin
    Diesel Fuel For life (like sweet grass thrown on me)
    Guerlain Vetiver
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Sound Scents

Too many to mention, but a handful that immediately come to mind are L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, Jicky, A Taste of Heaven, Memoir Man and La Myrrhe.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Musc Ravageur

Obsession, Fahrenheit, Terre d'Hermes, TF Grey Vetiver, Neroli Portofino and Azur Lime.

Le Male and A*men belong to the putrid category.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 20th April 2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Too many to mention, but a handful that immediately come to mind are L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, Jicky, A Taste of Heaven, Memoir Man and La Myrrhe.
    Good shout on Memoir Man, one of the worst in the Amouge line up but seems to get a lot of praise.

A*Men - I felt physically sick after smelling it

There's lots of fragrances I dislike but I can guarantee no one's the slightest bit interested.

Musc Ravageur
    Timbuktu
    Terre D'Hermes
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Musk Kublai Khan
    L'artisan Al Oud (vile stuff)
    Serge Noir
    A*Men (anything)
    Last edited by Granola; 21st April 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Most anything with amber and vanilla in the base just rubs me the wrong way. I have allergic reactions to it. Too sweet: Many Lutens, Thierry Mugler A*Men and Pure Malt/Coffee/Shot/etc, L' Instant de Guerlain Extreme, DHI, Most fougere's: Caron Pour Homme, even Invasion Barbare (this one is close to Ok). I would much rather have a dry woods or incense base than a vanilla or amber base in a fragrance. Amber takes over and kills every other note in the long term or second half of the day in most fragrances. Amber can be used so it's not too sweet, but this level of restraint is very rare because it smells so good initially and that's what sells the bottles in the store - the first hour of scent. But then, Wham! Sweetness.

A*Men, not sure if it smells different on others, but I sure don't want to smell like urine soaked cotton candy

A bunch of them LOL. just to name a few

Musc Ravageur - Public restroom nightmare. I much prefer its more well behave and classier sister which is L de Lolita Lempicka

Noir de Noir - It's not that it's not nice smelling but it is a total rip-off of Bond No9 WestSide

Interlude Man - Memoir Man for tween. They dump a tons of gourmand note onto Memoir Man and call it a day. Smells like something from Aquolina with a pencil shaving smell underneath that doesn't go well together with it

CologneFan85

Gucci by Gucci...Smells like a bucket of pine-sol in the opening, and the dry down of pickle juice. Also CK Euphoria Intense...Horrible cinnamon opening.

Almost all I tried of Creed, except Bois de Portugal. Aventus made me feel tacky: upon applying it I felt like a fat man in his fifties, dressed with an 1980's silk shoulder-padded shirt by Versace, with a thick golden necklace, golden rings, full of sweat, hairs all over my body, driving a convertible and surrounded by a stock of bimbos with oversized boobs (I kept the bimbos in my mind, of course, but got rid of the rest).

Same with Amouage. Even the only one I liked, Gold, smellt to me a little bit too... "niche edgy".

Blind bought Piper Nigrum after ravishing reviews by a well-respectd BNer who seems to have vanished (it has been said that after rehab he was very succesfull at overcoming perfume-related TOC). Well, big disapointment: "synthetic" would be a lame adjective for me to describe it.

Other ones I enjoy but don't think are worth the attention given by many: Terre D'Hermes, I like it, but don't find it THAT great. Mitsouko, def. old lady - like. Lalique Encre Noir: go for Sycomore - the first one's drydown is horrid.

On the other hand, there are many others that are ignored I find really good: Lalique The Horse, for instance.

I inisist this discussion board should be studied in depth when it comes to understanding the mechanisms through which purchase decision-making is made from discussions posted. It seems there is wide consensus based on variables beyond branding that I can't identify. Guess it would be the beginning of a specialty known as "linguistic-based marketing".

Sorry, I diggressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    There's lots of fragrances I dislike but I can guarantee no one's the slightest bit interested.
    Try us...

When I was a newbie I thought they must be great and owned many bottles, but wearing anything by Creed almost always ends up being comparable to the feeling of my d*ck not working correctly. I want to be satisfied but it isn't happening. Hate when that happens. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 15th December 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Almost all I tried of Creed, except Bois de Portugal. Aventus made me feel tacky: upon applying it I felt like a fat man in his fifties, dressed with an 1980's silk shoulder-padded shirt by Versace, with a thick golden necklace, golden rings, full of sweat, hairs all over my body, driving a convertible and surrounded by a stock of bimbos with oversized boobs.
    So what you're trying to say is.... you don't want to be like me ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    So what you're trying to say is.... you don't want to be like me ?
    Actually, a part of you: you can always bring me the oversized-boobs bimbos

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ... wearing anything by Creed almost always ends up being comparable to the feeling of my d*ck not working correctly. I want to be satisfied but it isn't happening. Hate when that happens. :-)
    Maybe wearing Creed and having 50 mg of sildenafil one hour before applying can be the solution to that feeling.

Hold on, mods will censor this reply, so here comes another one: Grey Flannel. I like it for the momories it brings, but the blend itself... I would say it is slightly better than Fahrenheit.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Most "NICHE" frags. Not much of a niche whore. I go more for the Classics.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 15th December 2012 at 02:40 AM.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Invasion barbare
    Chanel bleu
    Others
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Most "NICHE" frags. Not much of a niche whore. I go more for the Classics.

I try to stay away from the "classics". They all smell dated to me. Heritage, Jicky, Derby, Habit Rouge, YSL Pour Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, etc.

Also highly dislike:

1. Invasion Barbare
    2. Noir de Noir
    3. Most ouds
    4. Most vetivers
    5. Most roses
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    When I was a newbie I thought they must be great and owned many bottles, but wearing anything by Creed almost always ends up being comparable to the feeling of my d*ck not working correctly. I want to be satisfied but it isn't happening. Hate when that happens. :-)
    Amen

I don't think any of these fragrances are worth your money for many different reasons:
    Dirty English
    Cartier Roadster
    Creed Aventus
    Chanel coromandel
    Rose 31
    Santal 33
    Terre d'hermes
    Dior leather oud
    All Fredrick malle's besides musc ravaguer
    Burberry London
    All Versace fragrances
    Gucci pour homme I
    Le male
    Acqua di Parma Colonia intenza
    All creeds besides MI, virgin Island water and sublime Vanille
    Tom ford lavender palm

Habit Rouge
    Le Male
    Midnight in Paris
    Vetiver (Guerlain)
    A*Men

Platinum Egoiste - definetely gets a negative from me , it's just so metallic , sharp , synthetic .
    Allure Flankers - I don't dislike or hate them but it's just that I don't feel anything when I smell them , they're just boring and generic .

Terre'd'Hermes

I was very disappointed after hearing so many recommendations (especially on hotter climate, WTF) on this and quite a lot of positive feedback. But it smelled like pencil sharpener to me. Ugh.

Terre de Hermes, just seemed pointless.
    Bulgari Black, completely unwearable.
    Everything I've tried from Annik Goutal, they smell like dead people.
    Everything I've tried from Czech & Speake
    MKK, smells like someone took a dump on my chest.

Grey Flanel
    SL Noir ( only parfume which i can't stand , strong nose, strong will, but nothing works with this one )
    Annik Goutal Sables

All Caron
    All Guerlain except LIDGE
    All HdP except Rosam
    Terre d'Hermes
    All Montale except Dark Aoud
    Tobacco Vanille
    Ambre Sultan
    All Mugler
    Patou Pour Homme
    Vintage Tabarome

I can truly recognize the beauty and artistry in many I've listed, but bottom line is that I don't like them and would never wear them again.

It has lots of fans, but i really don't like it. It's By Kilian- Back to Black.

kouros
    Joop!
    Joop! Nightflight
    declaration
    Vintage egoiste
    A*Men
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau Extrême