Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Highly reviewed fragrances that you dislike?

I think I'll add some more to my list, and also I have to - most humbly - withdraw my earlier criticism of YSL's l'Homme. Having tried it on my skin I found it very pleasant, if not the most disinctive smell aroung, but it works hard, and gives great performance so I will certainly be considering a bottle. La Nuit though? I tried this the same day, and while I might have liked it had I tried nothing else alongside l'Homme it really seemed quite tame. The SA told me, 'this one's a little more spicey and naughty,' and maybe on another's skin it would have been, but to me it smelled like a darker, but very muted, almost conservative, version of it's brother.

Le Male? I like Joop! Homme so maybe I'm not one to talk, but to me Le Male smells like a syrupy mass of sugar and hyper-sweet children's cough syrup. I don't find it cloying or think it's too strong. The overall scent just makes for a negative experience, and I find the bottle and packaging tasteless and garish in the extreme.

Chanel No.5 is a perfume I've always found utterly boring. I try to respect the classics, but in this case I'll respect it from a distance.

DHI and LIDG(E) both irritate me because they're so commonly refered to as DHI and LIDG(E) and in addition I find them too femenine. LIDGE is the better of the two and I've toyed with the idea of getting a bottle, but DHI is, well look I just really tend to dislike Dior.

Any Dior fragrance that has Dior in the name (many of which are well loved) even though something like Miss Dior wouldn't bother me were it not for the Diorellas, the Dior me Dior me nots, the Dior Addicts and so on. This is going to get harder and harder as they run out of silly puns, and I long for the day when Dior releases scents with names like Sliding Glass Dior, or a Dior a day keeps the Diorctor away. Then I won't be the only one laughing.

The vast majority of Guerlain formulations. There's a reason why the vintage versions of these sell for obscene amounts despite their low cost and wide availability. I have a cheap Dana reformulation of Houbigant's badass Monsiuer Musk and I swear the current Mitsouko EDT smells no different. Except it has far weaker sillage and pathetic longevity in comparison. Moreover some of the modern Guerlains are just terrible. For a house that's so widely admired to release scents as bland and drole as Insolence is just plain cheeky.

Hypnotic Poison: I've talked about Dior but this is a special case. Let me stress that, coconut aside, I do enjoy this. However I think it's Dior's way of getting back at me for making fun of their perfume names because I felt literally poisoned, irony aside, after trying this. I was puking and retching for hours and felt utterly sick for most of the night.

Le Male
    Joop! Homme
    One Million
    Bogart fragrances
    Kenzo PH
    Versace Man Eau Freisch
    D&G Light Blue PH
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Thierry Mugler - A*Men
    Amouage - Epic Man, Memoir Man
    Hermes - Terre D'Hermes
    Burberry - London for Men
    Christian Dior - Fahrenheit, Eau Savage
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    Creed - Tabarome Millesime, Original Vetiver, Royal Oud
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

1) ALL of the aquatics
    2) Le Male
    3) A*Men
    4) Pour un Homme
    5) Rive Gauche
    6) Egoiste
    7) Domenico Caraceni 1913 (I will sell my intact bottle for a large sum of money soon)
    8) Heritage
    9) Opium PH
    10) Ungaro III

And so many others.....

Le Male
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois du Portugal
    The Dreamer
    A*men
    L'instant de Guerlain
    M7
    Fierce

Dh & dhi

Anything that I can't afford.

Lol.. Where do I start? Recently I began to dislike anything with mediocre longevity, so there goes all celebrity colognes and most other EDTs. I will never understand why anyone would like Creed's Green Irish Tweed, Selection Verte, or Windsor. Terre d'Hermes, Eau Sauvage EDP, and most D&G/Tom Ford (yes, even the exclusive ones) frags are also off putting to me.

Is there a name for a condition where one is too picky with scents?

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    Le Male
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois du Portugal
    The Dreamer
    A*men
    L'instant de Guerlain
    M7
    Fierce
    Thank you brother, you've saved me typing my own list. Were we separated at birth?

The most obvious one for me is Chergui. (I didn't mean that to sound so poetic.)

*Acqua di Parma Colonia - totally succeeds at what it is, but the style (old-school EDC with an obvious floral touch) just doesn't appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    Anything that I can't afford.
    i lol'ed

my list, and I dont like bashing scents

1) Grey Flannel- repulsive, absolutely horrid, I tried unsuccessfully to give it away to 4 people.
    2) A*MEN- Something about it makes me light headed and induces nausea, and I like sweet
    3) Farenheit- Maybe its not me, but this ones just nasty dirty
    4) Horizon- Smells like the cabin of a boat my father used to have. Salty musty rotting wood with that dead marine scent you smell at docks.
    5) Nicole miller- Instant pounding headache, gives the feeling of snorting glass shards straight into my sinus cavity.
    6) Lauder for men- I literally found this during my move. Smells like 70+

For you that dont like Aventus or Le male....how old are yall ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

m7, michael, havana, new west, the caron with the dark orange bottle. dior homme sport,burberry brit,azzaro ph, trussardi uomo

Al Oudh and Serge Noir... Dire sweaty armpit smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain27 View Post
    Platinum Egoiste - definetely gets a negative from me , it's just so metallic , sharp , synthetic .
    Allure Flankers - I don't dislike or hate them but it's just that I don't feel anything when I smell them , they're just boring and generic .
    Some days Platinum is very light and lemony on my skin, some days I get this really odd spicey note. After that I would have to say Versace the Dreamer. Horrendous. Terrible. No clue why you would ever put that scent on you. Whenever I am not busy hating it, it does remind me of a koi pond though. That's not so bad, but I still cannot wear it. Waaayyyy too strong. I didn't get Le Male at first, because it was my second fragrance after it was recommended to me. Before that, I had always worn Hugo Boss Element (I'm only 20, before that I always wore something my Dad had if I wanted to wear a fragrance), that I still have a soft spot for because of the memories with the fragrance. Going from a mild aquatic to a powderbomb would be a bit of a shocker, and it was my first encounter with a powder fragrance. L'Intstant De Geurlain Extreme is one that I don't care for as much as a lot of people. At first I didn't like it, now I find it alright. My girlfriend detests it lol. Bvlgari Black is OKAY, but I expected more. Man. Abusson Intense is one that I bought after seeing it for 8 dollars at a discounted and reading a review online that compared it to Rochas and MJ Legend. It smells nothing like that. General soft fruity tangerine note that is linear with no drydown to be found. The man reviewing it must have been smelling his own skin. On the same note, I don't dislike MJ Legend, but I don't know why you would buy it. Rochas Man is a MUCH better fragrance, and you can get a 1.7 for 20 bucks. Whenever you have a fairly large collection, a 1.7 is more than enough lol. I bought Cuba Gold after buying Le Male, that was a wasted 10 bucks. It's okay, but again, why would I wear that when I have something better? Thallium is another that is meh, why would I wear it when I have so many better fragrances? The original Thallium is way too casual, and as much as I want to sniff the other two, I really don't want to flush 30 bucks down the drain to sniff it. I do not understand why people praise most cheap fragrances, when most of the people doing it has much better option in their collection. The only cheapie I truly understand is Old Spice, 6 bucks for a 125ml spray bottle at walmart, and an amazing fragrance to me without a replacement.

EDIT: I forgot about this one. Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT. HORRENDOUS. Wayyyyy too much dead vegetation, extremely overpowering. Love The Musc Collection EDP though, reminds me of a floral green house that has just been watered.
    Last edited by Shepperdw; 17th April 2013 at 05:43 AM.

Tobacco Vanille

*vomit*

-Fahrenheit
    -OUD as a note (some not all)
    -Sycomore

Tried Sycomore and was not impressed, my nose just does not like one. As far as Fahrenheit goes, I dont really like the original but Fahrenheit 32 and Aqua is pretty good. I guess the toned down Petroleum is a good thing for me. As far as oud goes I absolutely love Dueto Parfums Golden Boy. Aqua Di Parma's OUD is actually pretty good but for the most part the ones that I have smelt have a very overpowering oud and too much oud is a little much for me.
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Dior Homme

Bvlgari Black
    YSL Opium - which I actually liked at first, soon after that my friend started to use it as a signature scent and in his vicinity I realised I don't like a certain note in it, causes a mild nausea.
    Egoiste Platinum - acrid, terrible on me.
    Last edited by Zgb; 17th April 2013 at 07:38 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Knize 10
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Chergie is one of the most disgusting thing I've ever smelled.

Tobacco Vanille , Chergui

LIDGE
    GIT
    MI
    Aventus
    Bois D Portugal

Also, I went through a huge vetiver stage - trying many. I read the vetiver redux thread here on BN, where the OP carefully went through and tested many vetiver scents, short listed them and then played them off against each other. Eventually via the very impressive process of elimination - arrived at Carlo Corinto Vetiver. Well thought I "it must be pretty good even if our tastes differ". I hunted down a bottle and it wasn't easy to find.

Blech! Bug spray! And it's the only vetiver I've tried that I really found like that! Three years later I still have the bottle and I keep trying it in case I missed something - Bug spray! I still trust that guy's method and even taste - but I just can't stand that one!

Default Aventus

Aventus is very ordinary to me.

Bulgari Black - smells like rubber
    MKK - smells like piss
    Dior Leather Oud - too dirty for my taste

Terre d'Hermes, this stuff burns my nose with that rubbery/asphalt note :3 also encre noire, dont hate it but don't like it either, body kouros yuckkk

Cool Water in 1st place.
    Honourable mention to Aventus for the scale of hype/price to quality. (Actually you can throw in most of their other scents too)

Narcisco Rodriguez , Fahrenheit , grey flannel, tobacco vanilla ,

Le Male
    1 Million
    A Men
    Fierce
    Joop Homme

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Kenzo PH
    I got a mini bottle of this - and was glad I did, if just to satisfy my curiosity - but I'm with you. I would have added it to the list myself, but I wasn't sure if it was rated highly enough to qualify. Lot of negatives and neutrals for KpH.

That aside, this thread has put a big grin on my face like none else in recent memory!

Add Tobacco Vanille to my list
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Bois D'argent. Can't stand this.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Knize Ten-yuck!!!*vomit*