Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Courtesan by Worth

Hello, all you basenoters! I'm dying to know what any of you think of the frag Courtesan by Worth. I'm sending away for a sample as it can't be found anywhere around my little corner of the Pacific Northwest. So before it gets here I thought I'd see how many good or bad reviews come from all you perfumistas. I will write my own review after I give it a thorough smelling. Thank you very much!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Thoughts on Courtesan by Worth

I have always been curious about this one- it doesn't seem to get much attention at all. So I'm dying to see what you think about it RedT
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I will write about it tomorrow, I have notes.

As a rule I do not write too many reviews because I am afraid to offend: the ones who work on the fragrance, the ones who wear the fragrance and the ones who respect old houses with many years of business success history. Pierre Bourdon (and I know we have many BN who adore his creations), the nose behind Courtesan, has yet to put something else on the market for this skin to find acceptable or wearable.

While testing it first time around, I expected a gourmand. Second time around I expected an oriental. It is neither, just a generic sweet floral-oriental like many with dusty jasmine (very synthetic at that too) and non-descript woods with a little bit of vanilla. If given as a present, I would not care about it, it would be just sitting and collecting dust.

And this is my original review from the BN directory:
    Very very sweet, a bit musky and ambery in the drydown. I see it worn as a winter scent but not in the dog days of summer. Was hard for me to identify specific fruit -- just sticky syrupy concoction. Expected more of it.
    Last edited by Twolf; 23rd June 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Courtesan by Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Red Theodora View Post
    Hello, all you basenoters! I'm dying to know what any of you think of the frag Courtesan by Worth. I'm sending away for a sample as it can't be found anywhere around my little corner of the Pacific Northwest. So before it gets here I thought I'd see how many good or bad reviews come from all you perfumistas. I will write my own review after I give it a thorough smelling. Thank you very much!
    It is my go-to "comfort" scent. It smells of milk with a touch of sweet spice, rather like chai. It is not an olfactory symphony, but more of a beloved lullaby. This is how your mother smelled when she leaned over to kiss you goodnight.

I posted the following review over on MUA:
    It happens that I adore Courtesan. It is a beautiful yet subtle fragrance. There is something vaguely familiar about it, not that it smells like a particular perfume I already know, but that it smells like a wonderful amalgam of feminine things. To my nose, it smells like a boudoir -- like one has just entered the dressing room of a Courtesan who has prepared for an evening at the Opera -- traces of perfume hang in the air, there is a subtle suggestion of face powder and lipstick, there is the delicate scent of silk stockings, possibly worn during the day and now hang carefully, draped over a dressing screen. I can smell the warmth of skin, fresh from a steamy bath.
    That is my impression of Courtesan by Worth. I think the creator of this perfume, Pierre Bourdon, has captured the essence of how that elegant boudoir, belonging to a beautiful Courtesan, might smell upon entrance to that special domain.
    Courtesan is somehow familiar, but it is different enough, and changeable enough to be a delight to wear from beginning to end. It wears lightly on my skin, but has enough presence to be detectable from close proximity. It is the kind of scent that I don't think most people would identify as "perfume" - it is the kind of scent that would elicit the simple comment "oh, you smell nice!"

I understand this is classified as an oriental.

Interesting name of the scent considering the fashion house of Worth and its early clientele in the 19th century.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I myself just received a sample of this. I've been wearing it all day and it smells heavenly. It is not a gourmand, which is what I was expecting, but truly plays like an Oriental on my skin and the spices seem to come to the fore with a Chardonnay-like butteriness. That's the best way I can describe this, like a wine bouquet on the skin. I just bought a bottle online.

I'm very fond of this fragrance, but I'm also bias when it comes to Worth. I know they're not really the same Worth that existed once upon a time - drugstore Je Reviens would tend to confirm this - but it's hard to break such a fond association.