Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Fahrenheit - 2012 reformulation

In 2011, I smelled Fahrenheit at a Lord and Taylor, it was magical.
    I bought it in Sephora in 2012 and it's much different.

The difference was so big, it was beyond nostalgia bias.

The 2011 Fahrenheit was more floral, but 2012 was MUCH more leathery, and it even marketed it as a leather based fragrance on the box.

I like the 2012 version a little bit, but some notes in it are repulsive. And the drydown doesn't get better.

Is anyone else disappointed?

Default Re: Fahrenheit - 2012 reformulation

I only have the original release but I have smelled what's out there and personally it's fine to me.

The only references I have are the 1988-1992 original formulation that I wore during that time and what I smelled this year..2012. They are nothing alike to me and so far off that it is ridiculous. The 2012 batches have the original Fahrenheit feel on first spray but that literally turns into a pure gasoline smell in 30 seconds. From there on out I barely recognize anything. The original version was spicy/floral/smooth/addictive and was completely outside the norm at the time. This 2012 is crap that gives me a headache.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 13th December 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I have a vintage bottle and have smelled a 2010 or 2011 bottle. The vintage is obviously better, but the newer bottle I smelled wasn't bad. I thought the last reformulation was around 2006. Can anyone verify how many reformulations that has happened since 2006?

Mine is August 2011, I get gasoline and a whole lot of green/flowers after that

I have one 200ml bottle from around 2007-2008. How is it regarding the reformulation in 2012 you mentioned?
    Is it a shadow of the vintage Fahrenheit or somewhat the same???
    Thanks...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I notice a HUGE difference between what was sold in 2011 and what is sold in 2012.

Perhaps, the store I got it at had the bottle in late 2011 for over a year, so it could be a 2010 batch.

But I know for a fact, that 2012 has a much darker bottle with a much easier to use sprayer. That and a new batch.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Perhaps, the store I got it at had the bottle in late 2011 for over a year, so it could be a 2010 batch.
    When in doubt, flip the bottle over and snap a pic of the batch code on the bottom. I bought a bottle of Fahrenheit this past summer, but it was manufactured in July 2011. Interesting that it was manufactured over a full year before it was sold.

It says leather right on the box, btw. "A surprising blend of wood and violet leaf, warmed by a leather accord."
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I notice a HUGE difference between what was sold in 2011 and what is sold in 2012.

But I know for a fact, that 2012 has a much darker bottle with a much easier to use sprayer. That and a new batch.
    Yeah, I just gave up with the new stuff and decided to stock up on the vintage. It's actually quite a bit cheaper also. Damn shame the way they neuter these classic men's fragrances.

I agree that the new stuff is pure gasoline/leather and far away from the original. I loved the original and find the new stuff headachy and repulsive. We should write CD
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I agree that the new stuff is pure gasoline/leather and far away from the original. I loved the original and find the new stuff headachy and repulsive. We should write CD
    You mean Dior.

Luca Turin is of the opinion that the outlawing of acetylenic esters is to blame for Fahrenheit's lost magic; perhaps it's impossible to recreate that composition with today's perfumery palette.

Basenotes Plus

Mine was made in June 2012 (just checked my batch code). Yes it has a very heavy petroleum opening but it doesn't last that long on my skin. Seems to turn into a sweet/floral/leather scent after an hour. Overall, I'm impressed but maybe I should look into the vintage if I like the worst variation very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    You mean Dior.

Luca Turin is of the opinion that the outlawing of acetylenic esters is to blame for Fahrenheit's lost magic; perhaps it's impossible to recreate that composition with today's perfumery palette.
    CD = Christian Dior

It is safe to buy Dior fragrances nowdays? They ****ed up absolutely everything that they produce. Its not just Fahrenheit... their fragrances for women got big hit too. Addict, Miss Dior Cherie, Poisons... everything is watered down.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

the 2012 release has mediocre longevity at best on my skin. And no sillage. As stated by other people, most of their fragrances got diluted. Only one i can think of and doesnt fit this category would be Dior Homme Sport 2012 (i dont even find anything sport in this reformulation).

I'm glad I got my two bottles of Fahrenheit last year as they smell fantastic and I get 12 hours longevity. Will have to try to smell this years formulation and see what the difference is to last year.

More paranoia about reformulations. Oh blimey, it never ends here on Basenotes. :-(

Is there really a 2012 reformulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    More paranoia about reformulations. Oh blimey, it never ends here on Basenotes. :-(

I agree with this statement and I also doubt there's been 2012. reformulation, but hey, how can one be sure

+1. Bought mine in 2012, and both sillage and longevity is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1. Bought mine in 2012, and both sillage and longevity is excellent.
    I bought mine in late summer 2012 but it was made in 2011, so the year you bought it isn't necessarily the year it was made. You can use the code underneath your bottle to find out when it was manufactured. My code is 1U03, though I'm not sure if that's a letter O or a zero. I checked both, and both came back as July 2011.

Have there been any new restrictions that would require a reformulation this year? Unless Dior was required to change the formula, I doubt that they did.

First time I've heard of it also. Another thing is that if they did reformulate it, it would also include the flankers, so Aqua Fahrenheit would probably be the one everyone would notice since it's the most popular one.

First DHI, now Fahrenheit. Making it hard for a fraghead. Damn shame!

Dependent

I think you've misplaced the blame, sir. Especially considering designers' track record, I would hesitate to name it paranoia. Look to the execs and the IFRA if you want a scapegoat. We enthusiasts merely wish the creators' vision to be respected.

I think you've misplaced the blame, sir. Especially considering designers' track record, I would hesitate to name it paranoia. Look to the execs and the IFRA if you want a scapegoat. We enthusiasts merely wish the creators' vision to be respected.
    I agree, but at the same time you have people who are stating that they're 100% sure it's been reformulated when another person says it's exactly the same and there's no facts to back up that it has been reformulated. The OP also stated there's a huge difference in the versions that he smelled.

I have just recently become infatuated with Fahrenheit, so I am guessing that I have only smelled the latest formula. I am glad that I didn't know earlier versions because I apparently am okay with the current one. I will have to double check the box and see if it mentions leather on there.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I agree, but at the same time you have people who are stating that they're 100% sure it's been reformulated when another person says it's exactly the same and there's no facts to back up that it has been reformulated. The OP also stated there's a huge difference in the versions that he smelled.
    It will always be a matter of consensus with such things, as the vicissitudes of commercial product formulation are (not surprisingly) kept secret. Thus, requiring facts of such an opinion is not reasonable. Some people, like hednic, feel that their noses don't work to the level of detail required for such adjudications, and simply state such and respectfully stand aside in these discussions. Others chime in. This is where experienced fragheads' opinions should generally be weighted more heavily than newbs, who may not have the skill to distinguish differences to the degree required.

It will always be a matter of consensus with such things, as the vicissitudes of commercial product formulation are (not surprisingly) kept secret. Thus, requiring facts of such an opinion is not reasonable. Some people, like hednic, feel that their noses don't work to the level of detail required for such adjudications, and simply state such and respectfully stand aside in these discussions. Others chime in. This is where experienced fragheads' opinions should generally be weighted more heavily than newbs, who may not have the skill to distinguish differences to the degree required.
    Well you pretty much said what I was thinking. Lol...But yeah, I think if people who actually have worn the fragrance A LOT will be able to tell even the most subtle differences. Problem with many of us Basenoter's is that we have so many fragrances that we don't have enough time to wear just one and be content with it. Another problem we run into sometimes is we think our opinions are superior which is never a good thing.
    Last edited by silentrich; 13th December 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    It is safe to buy Dior fragrances nowdays? They ****ed up absolutely everything that they produce. Its not just Fahrenheit... their fragrances for women got big hit too. Addict, Miss Dior Cherie, Poisons... everything is watered down.
    The reformulated (Demachy) Dior Homme is far from messed up. In fact, it's very good indeed, and no slouch next to the original Polge formulation.

Basenotes Plus

Just because a bunch of experienced fragheads agree, doesn't rule out the fact that they could have possibly succumbed to the sheep effect.

I haven't heard of a 2012 reformulation but I'm quite happy with my 2010 bottle.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Okay, time for some practical advice based on this discussion. I wore Fahrenheit a bunch in the mid-90s. It was pretty much my signature fragrance. I still have a half-full bottle from that period which may not have the brightness it once had, but still smells pretty good (I didn't try to keep it preserved most of the intervening years, sadly, though it wasn't sitting in sunlight, either, thank goodness).

Yesterday at Sephora I saw they had 30ml bottles of Fahrenheit for $40, so I grabbed one, figuring, well, how bad could the new version be, really? I haven't opened the box yet, but according to the code it was manufactured in July 2012. Now I'm wondering whether it's worth the bucks. I've read varying opinions -- some say it's still distinct and well-made on its own terms (which would be fine with me), whereas others say it's become a tepid, ho-hum masculine with a generic dry-down (not okay with me!).

Those who own a 2012 bottle: what's your perspective and advice?

I got a 200ml of a very recent formula, VERY VIOLETY, green, and with just a tint bit of petrol (that is quickly overwhelmed by violet ionones and greenness)

Gonna go check my lot number.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    CD = Christian Dior
    Precisely -- that brand no longer exists.

All I know is that about a year ago someone here posted the rumor that a new reformulation was coming in 2012. So it seems that it really came? Should I go hunting for a 2011 batch now?

The bottles at my nearest Walmart checked to 2010 but the price recently jumped almost $10. It had been selling for just over $40, about six weeks ago or so I drifted by the fragrance section to see if anything new had been added when I noticed that the going price for a 1.7oz bottle had climbed to just under $50. I don't know if a back up bottle I'll probably never use is worth that extra $10.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Go and find the old "Olympios" by Missoni, it was the almost-perfect clone of the vintage Fahreneheit, you can buy it for pennies

I JUST bought a bottle of Fahrenheit 2 weeks ago. It has batch code 2S03 on the bottom, which translates to May 2012. It smells like the inside of a garage with spilled gasoline fresh on the floor. It smells good. Very 80's, masculine and raw. I had beast projection and all day longevity. I can't say for sure if it smells different or not b/c I've never worn Fahrenheit before.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I did a test wearing of 2012 Fahrenheit from a sample the other day (and then a follow-up wearing from my circa 1994 bottle the next day) and honestly, I don't know what all the concern is. The new version lasted all day, was robust, and in the end, smelled distinctly like Fahrenheit. There WAS one point where I got a weird aquatic note, but that didn't last long. My vintage bottle is a bit richer (mossier), but that's subtle. I suspect I've lost a lot of top notes from the old bottle, because I remember Fahrenheit being sweeter (mandarin and honeysuckle?) and now both the 2012 and my old bottle go right to the petrol/leather accord. Still quite an appealing and unique effect, though.

Bought both my bottles in 2012 and they are my favourite fragrance of all time!!

I bought a bottle of Aqua Fahrenheit over the holidays and they also had a 2011 tester and 2012 bottle of the original Fahrenheit. The Aqua version smells exactly the same as the 2012 version and the 2011 original Fahrenheit tester smells identical to the 2012 original Fahrenheit version. This was at Macy's.

Fahrenheit has been reformulated so many times, its ridiculous. I had a 2006 bottle, and it was amazing , it had the gasoline note which evolved into an amazing musky drydown. The current formulation I found is very synthetic and does not last as long.

Any news on that topic? Can anyone safely confirm or deny that Fahrenheit has been reformulated again?

I have three samples from Sephora: the first two were obtained back in summer 2011. The last is from a visit a few weeks ago. I can't detect any difference between the current formulation and the older samples. Is it possible that the first tester may have been a flanker?

I don't know which year it was produced but I sprayed some recently in a department store and it made me feel sick.

Okay, now I'm officially panicking! I tested a 2012 Fahrenheit in a store today, and it was definitely different from the 2011 one I have at home. The one from 2011 smells of course different from the vintage stuff, but it's still excellent. The one from 2012 on the other hand smells somewhat sweet and thin ... almost like a fake!

I need to look for 2011 bottles now and buy as many as possible ... let the hunt beginn!

I just recently picked up a 2012 june batch and must say longevity is piss poor and extremely dissapointing after hearing all the good things fahrenheit is. Saying that I have never smelled any other version. I will provide the batch code when I get home tonight.

Banned
    Blog Entries

the 2011 batch was amazing.

2012 was just leather leather leather and some bergamot.

no violet or honeysuckle. im so pissed.

its my most regretted purchase.

Batch code, Noir?

I sprayed some Fahrenheit from the store tester on my hand Friday (along with TDH PP on the other). I spent the entire day (10 hours) smelling my hand and marvelling at how incredibly beautiful the Fahrenheit was. No problem with projection or longevity, relative the to TDH. After weeks of being totally unimpressed with everything I have tried, I was really impressed with the Fahrenheit.

So much so, in fact, that I returned that evening and bought a 200ml bottle.

Long story short, in two wearings I have been unable to get more than a couple of hours from the bottle I bought. And it does not smell nearly as good as from the tester. Not even close.

I'm wondering whether the tester is quite old, and is a different (i.e. much better) formulation than the bottle I bought.

I may try to return it. Not sure if I can since it's open but I may try. If I do, I will get the batch number from the tester while I am there.

I checked the batch number on the bottle I bought -- manufactured in July 2012.

So far, this is a big disappointment for me. I went from thinking I may have found my new signature scent, to not even being able to smell it for more than a couple of hours tops.

Take my comments with a grain of salt though. I couldn't smell Dior Homme at all on Friday and have been told in a separate thread that it is a monster. That said, I just got my Fresco at work this morning and compared to the Fahrenheit which was on my wrist (and elsewhere), the Fresco has SIGNIFICANTLY better longevity and projection. No issues with it. None. The Fresco is actually quite nice. And with Le Male, one spray on my chest lasts me the entire day (at least). So it seems that I am smelling other fragrances without an issue.

UPDATE: I wore Fahrenheit again today at work. However, I first applied some scentless lotion to my chest and neck. Huge difference. It's now been 8 hours and I can still smell it. So, chalk it up to an extremely dry and inexperienced user who occasionally feels the need to post on here when really he has no business doing so in light of his complete ignorance of the subject. I will try to be more of a reader and less of a poster until I get some more frag mileage in.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 29th January 2013 at 10:35 PM.

The batch i got was 2t04 and was produced in june of 2012. The projection is non existent and for longevity after 2 hours i can barley smell on my skin if i bury my nose into my arm. I saw a batch 9v06 at shoppers earlier and think this could be from 2009 and think i should pick it up. Just to be sure i asked a coworker if he could smell my cologne today and he said no and that was with 4 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by cuko View Post
    Just to be sure i asked a coworker if he could smell my cologne today and he said no and that was with 4 sprays.
    Similar experience today. I had 7 sprays on. Yup - 7. Absolutely non-existent after 2 hours. Thank the good Lord my Fresco arrived at work today to save the day. Imagine that...lowly Fresco rescuing me from the absolute fail of the revered Fahrenheit. Who knew?

Another thing i havent seen any one mention....

The 2012 batches if you look at the back of the box theres some writing that goes something like this. "a fragrance full of paradoxes at once hot and cold, masculine and sensual. A surprising blend of violet and (cant read cause of camera flash) by a leather accord. Scicilian mandarin violet (camera flash)" under that it says "natural spray"

The 2009 batch does not contain any of that and only says "natural spray"

Thoughts??

Just received a 1.7oz today (produced Sept. 2012). Put one spray on the back of my hand about 4 hours ago and I can still smell it. The first 1-2 hours it was projecting quite well but the last 1-2 hours it's been pretty close to my skin (I have washed my hands a few times during the said 4 hours though).

Any news on this subject?

Bought a 30ml bottle, manufactured in 2012, at Sephora yesterday. Wearing it today. Smells great, and smells like Fahrenheit. No problems with it here.

Do they still sell 30 ml bottles in the US? They stopped selling those in Germany a few years ago, my last bottle is from 2010.

Well I have bought bottles from both 2009 and 2012 and they smell identical to me. I'm saving my bottles for the summmer and hoping they will react differently on my skin .

As I stated above, my issues aren't with 2009 vs 2012. My issues are with 1988-1992 vs 2012. Not even the same juice.

Take Fahrenheit Aqua...sans Aqua...and add more depth and leather and you get more what the original was about. Sorry, but the gasoline smell that ruins it and permeates it now wasn't what the original was about...I don't even remember it at all.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 12th February 2013 at 02:06 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I'm comparing the 2012 to my bottle from around 1995. Granted, the latter is old, and doubtless the top notes aren't in great shape anymore, but it still smells good. I always got a leather/gasoline vibe from Fahrenheit, all the way back when I wore it all the time in the mid-90s. I do remember it being brighter and sweeter than the current version (or the state of my vintage bottle), but the overall experience of the new one is still decidedly Fahrenheit to me.

This Dior was reformulted more than once; the original version, as said, was beautiful (and classy).
    The version mentioned at the OP must have been the third one, once the "gasoline" or "rubber" everybody got (and will get from 2012 composition once again, yet more leather in here, lucky us all) was already there, evil indeed.
    If you used to like the so called dark one, you will find this "attempt" (failed one) to go back to the past lighter, yet recognizable. Can garantee you, even if is only a memory to me since was a kid, that the original one was to die for, not to kill somebody to stop smelling at it right now.
    Bottom line, yes, has been reformulated, is not your perception but a fact. You can find previous batches for sure before they "clean" the scene, if suits you and you want a back-up.

I agree with toughtcool and others, the original is not recognizable in the new formulation. There wan't a gasoline note at all. It was smooth, clean, and shined with the glorious honeysuckle et. al.. Dior should have just created something different, called it something different, and put it in a differently bottle and left Fahrenheit alone. What are the loyal fans of the original to do?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?