Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenager looking for a fragrance, thinking of Egoiste

Okay so im looking for a perfume to buy. It will be my first serious one, i've done some reasearch and im thinking of getting Egoiste. Dont tell me to get some underground scents since i dont live in the USA so i cant really get those. I'm a teenager in highschool, so something that girls will like and i can wear everyday.

Cheers

Default Re: Teenager looking for a fragrance, thinking of Egoiste

Egoiste would be a great choice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely second the choice, Egoiste is a wonderful, rich and elegant sandalwood. Make sure you get the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste. Hard to know what specific girls would like, but it's smooth enough that it shouldn't cause negative reactions.

You should check on youtube a famous old ad for the perfume, with a hotel full of women conquered, and then deserted, by a hunky Egoiste wearer.

If you prefer a more butch approach, there's the companion Chanel Antaeus, which is darker, woodier, spicier. But perhaps at the beginning a smoother approach is preferable.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I would not recommend Egoiste for anyone under 30. Period. That's my 2 cents. It's a very mature scent. Cannot imagine a teenager in it. Run for Acqua di Gio or Bleu de Chanel. They are semi-mature fresh scents that would work much better with your age group. I cannot see teenage girls liking Egoiste for a second. Many will disagree with me, but I'm trying to help you.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well since im fairly new to this, how does sandalwood smell?

Egoiste is a great fragrance, but tbh I don't think it will be truly appreciated by high school girls. Better get 1 Million for that.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my best friends has 1million and frankly it's way to mainstream and washed out by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Great scent and fit for a teenager! I loved the smell of it in my teens, and I know many girls in their teens and early twenties who love …goÔste
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Post Thanks / Like

I think anyone can wear Egoiste, but it's important to like the scent. Rocoo, where are you? Is there anyplace you can test fragrances or obtain samples?

Sandalwood is a sweet, milky wood smell, that sometimes has a slightly tangy edge. But it does different things depending on composition. It's hard to find a true sandalwood smell nowadays because of restrictions on harvesting it, but the closest thing I've found recently is Lorenzo Villoresi's Sandalo.

Egoiste isn't something you'd want to wear to school. It's a quite classy and upscale scent. It is wearable for school events like formal or prom dances and dates but not for every day wear
    Also, it's not a scent you can wear year round if you live somewhere where it gets fairly high in temperature or humidity.

I'd go with ADG or Le Male
    Maybe even fresher, citrusy scents can't really go wrong with those at your age
    I'd personally recommend Mont Blanc Legend
    It's a flanker of Abercrombie's Fierce but less toned down and less spicy. It doesn't have the strong sillage but is still a quality fragrance and some prefer it over the former.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, what about Egoiste makes you think it's what you're looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I wore Egoiste when I was in high school. The current reformulated version (with clear juice; NOT the Platinum version) smells more modern and could pass for a fragrance to be released tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I cannot see teenage girls liking Egoiste for a second.
    +1^

Post Thanks / Like

For your age, no. Girls would love Platinum Egoiste a whole lot more.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend trying something before you buy it. No matter how favorable the reviews, there are plenty of well-crafted fragrances that some people with good taste detest. You will never please all the people all the time and it's much better to feel comfortable wearing something that you know you like than what somebody else said is a good fragrance for your age-group, social class, race, religion, or hair color. I hate to say it but most of the things that are recommended as appropriate for teenagers smell like water, urine, snot, or some combination thereof. If something smells really good on you, it doesn't matter your age or anything else for that matter. Your tastes may change with time. I think Egoiste is great and I have never come across a note or accord of notes that are restricted from any class of people. Please find a department store or fragrance store or something before committing yourself to anything, particularly if there is any financial limitation. If you can afford a dozen random recommended bottles, well, then, have at it. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Always hard to say with these things, but in general, I'm not sure younger girls would appreciate something like Egoiste as much as you would want them to. I'm not a teenage girl, nor do I know any, so I'm definitely no authority on this subject...but, from what I've seen over and over again on this board, most younger girls tend to prefer fresher, lighter, or sometimes light gourmand fragrances. Personally, I think Egoiste is a masterpiece and think it's one hell of a classy scent....but, I did also find it to have a more "mature" vibe (and I'm 35) in comparison to more recent fragrance releases and also couldn't picture many situations where I would choose to wear it over many others in my collection. I'm not saying I wouldn't, or couldn't wear it, I'm just not sure I'd pick it over some others I currently have. In 6 months, a year, or a few years, that may change completely, however.

Still though, I'd highly suggest getting a sample or small decant first, give it some test runs/wears to school and see what the reactions are. You may find that you, and others around you love it, as they'll have no pre-conceived notion of what you're wearing, if it's a classic, a more recent release, or if it's considered by some to be more mature or not. All they'll know is if it smells good on you, to them, or not. I say test the ol' beauty out and see what happens. If it works out, I can guarantee you'll be the classiest, best smelling chap in the whole damn school.

I've already commented in this thread but here is my revision:

If you're a jock, athlete or someone of that order then do not go for egoiste. Instead, go for Le Male or 1 million or ADG fragrances that

If you are a mature individual who is in a band or plays an instrument or chess stuff like that then egoiste is perfect for you and it would fit your personality.

Otherwise, if you do purchase it and you don't fit the bill, just wear it to formal events like dances, dates and stuff like that.
    It's a compliment getter in those types of scenarios. Honestly, most girls that age don't really care about fragrances. So, you might just want to go with something cheaper like Rochas Man or Body Kouros--sweet, fresh and enjoyable in most of the seasons. Can't go wrong with those two.

Egoiste might not work well with the highschool crowd, IMO.

Safer alternatives might be Midnight in Paris or Dior Homme.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, half of you say its perfect and half say it's too matture. Final verdict..?
    And what are some good replacemnts which would fit a mature teenager in highschool?

Post Thanks / Like

Final verdict? If you like it and it suits you, wear it. (But do try it first. Egoiste is definitely one of those scents that can smell quite different on some people; some get much more "gourmand spices" than sandalwood, and that might or might not be your thing.)

My friend, the most devastating ladykiller in MY high school cohort, had what I now know was an embryo niche collection (he used to get his older brother to bring him back rare fragrances from Paris, when he travelled) and did things like affect a pipe, also "too mature" for high school students. Didn't seem to hurt him, that he wasn't wearing the trendy boyfrag of the day.

Own it, and you can do anything, and it's never too early to get that in play.

Rocoo,
    Egoiste is a superb fragrance. However, there can be no final verdict when you're asking for others' opinions. If you're inexperienced with scents and don't know what sandalwood nor what Egoiste smell like, I wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy. If you're concerned about being liked by your peers or the general public then go with a safe bet, i.e., a popular scent. A mainstream designer scent is more likely to please you and your friends. Good examples would be Armani Code, Aqua Di Gio, Bleu de Chanel, Fuel for Life, True Religion, 1 Million, any of the CK scents, Issey, etc. just test what's available to you and see what you like and can afford.

It would be different if you said you wanted to smell unique or stand out from the crowd but that is never a safe blind buy situation.

Just go with Egoiste, its a great fragrance for winter and has a unique smell. In the end its not important what teenage girls think, the important thing is what that fragrance makes YOU feel.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with something easier for teen, who wish from girls to be noticed

My Sugestion are :

Givenchy Play Intense

Givenchy Pi

Body Kouros

Brit

Diesel Fuel

Lancome Hypnose

Boss Bottled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Just go with Egoiste, its a great fragrance for winter and has a unique smell. In the end its not important what teenage girls think, the important thing is what that fragrance makes YOU feel.
    I agree. Wear what you like and wear it for yourself! Be yourself and buy the Egoiste!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions are literally split 50-50, jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocoo View Post
    Opinions are literally split 50-50, jesus.
    I'll chime in to rock the boat. I'd say if you're looking to please teenage girls, Egoiste would not be the best. Go with more mainstream popular scents. However, if you're looking for a great scent, without trying to appeal other girls, then yes, Egoiste is a fantastic scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    In the end its not important what teenage girls think.....
    Because teen girls, like every other very broad general group of people, are all exactly alike and think the same thing. Seriously, this is not true even of teen girls who superficially appear similar on the outside ("all the hot ones," "all the ones who dye their hair blonde.")

More accurate to say that "in the end, you can't actually predict what any specific teen girl might think." Maybe that one's allergic to Egoiste. Maybe that other one, over there, had an amazing first kiss with a guy who wore it once and it's now an automatic love for her. Maybe that one in the corner is only reminded of her creepy cousin, who wears it.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Too often i come to the internet seeking help and too often i return empty-handed. Well thanks anyways guys..

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    OP, what about Egoiste makes you think it's what you're looking for?
    I was thinking the very same thing. Have you actually tested Egoiste? If not I don't know that it would be a safe blind buy for anyone.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Post Thanks / Like

Too often i come to the internet seeking help and too often i return empty-handed. Well thanks anyways guys..
    What, we should all agree just to suit you?! Come on, you have received a range of opinions. Now use your own brain. Why not just try the fragrance? See if YOU like it. Decide based on that.

And for what it's worth, I'd say don't listen to anyone who tells you what teenage girls want or don't want to smell. Especially anyone who isn't a teenage girl. CompassRose is spot-on here.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scents like these you definitely have to try before purchasing. E.g going off forum comments and reviews alone (148 positive, only 19 negative) you'd think Chanel Antaeus is the safest buy ever which everyone would love. However I tried it I thought it was definitely not for me, I don't think I could pull it off, especially not at my age (in my opinion, of-course).

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    What, we should all agree just to suit you?! Come on, you have received a range of opinions. Now use your own brain. Why not just try the fragrance? See if YOU like it. Decide based on that.

And for what it's worth, I'd say don't listen to anyone who tells you what teenage girls want or don't want to smell. Especially anyone who isn't a teenage girl. CompassRose is spot-on here.
    Well said, and thank you and CompassRose for giving us some female perspective on this.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i would recommend acqua di gio

Post Thanks / Like

I would genuinely recommend Egoiste, especially since it's definitely not commonly worn, neither in highschools nor pretty much anyplace else.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot see teenage girls liking Egoiste for a second. Many will disagree with me, but I'm trying to help you.
    This. Take it from someone who has a teenage daughter. The only one of these power-frags she likes is Escada Pour Homme.

If you're wearing it for yourself? Sure. You might find girls like this. Confidence and maturity appeal to girls. So if you, wearing your fragrance, feel confident and mature - even if they don't love the way you smell - it might help more than simply having a girl sniff the 1 Million, or Fierce fumes wafting off you before saying you smell nice. Very few women would consider a man viable simply because he smells nice.

No, more likely she'll ask you what you're wearing and then tell the guy she DOES like to buy it. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's reality. Fragrance won't make that much difference.

Still I would, as this poster did, recommend Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Egoiste or even Allure Homme Sport. These are still very classy, mature scents and, just like egoiste, their quality is off the charts. The scent is more casual and compliment-friendly though, especially Bleu, plus the bottle is gorgeous.

That said there's many others. YSL's l'homme or l'Homme Libre for example.

I say hit up the Chanel counter at your local department store, and the YSL counter too. You'll find the SAs there better than those wandering the general fragrance area. They'll help you pick something or at the very least give you things to sample and you can make up your own mind. If you don't want to pay department store prices just tell them you need to think about it.

Don't go spend 100+ dollars on Egoiste, or anything else for that matter, because some stranger reviewing it said it's a PD or a lady-killer or whatever. Not even if a hundred of them say so.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well thought out post, Miket. I agree with your sentiments.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Tonghpafu. I really do find the 'X counter,' SAs to be more helpful, knowledgable and open-minded. The two best SAs I've ever come across are the young lady at the Chanel counter at my local David Jones (an upmarket Australian department store) and the lady at the YSL counter in the same store.

Aside from Dior all the other brands are just in a general fragrance areas with two or three SAs between them, and often these girls are shipped in from other departments and know next to nothing about perfume. Now, I'm not trying to rubbish these people because they're very friendly and clearly want to help. I blame the store. I mean when you consider the markup at stores like this, who often charge double or more what other places do, it's shocking that they won't even spend a few dollars giving their sales girls some education on what they're supposed to be selling.

Moreover, having seen their wanted ads, their hiring policies do the customer no favors as they're more interested in employing attractive, well-dressed young women than people who have any amount of enthusiasm for, or grasp of the product itself. Then again I suppose much of this can be blamed on those customers who will fall over themselves to buy whatever a cute young girl tells them to.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

high school senior here. In my experience girls love Allure Homme Sport, La Nuit De la Homme and One Million. Also if you live in a mostly warmer place and have a Victoria Secret in your country I highly recommend Very Sexy. Sure its not the longest lasting but the smell is amazing and the amount of complements you will get are even better. I cant say anything about egoiste but I have platinum and it gets complements however, I rarely reach for it because its very hard to wear to school IMO. I assume egoiste might have at least slightly similar vibes.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so im looking for a perfume to buy. It will be my first serious one, i've done some reasearch and im thinking of getting Egoiste. Dont tell me to get some underground scents since i dont live in the USA so i cant really get those. I'm a teenager in highschool, so something that girls will like and i can wear everyday.

Cheers
    Rocoo,

Get the Egoiste! It's a wonderful fragrance and most likely you will smell different from your peers. I'm a woman, mid 30's, and I started wearing Egoiste when I was 14 because I didn't want to smell like the other girls or guys I knew. I believed, and still do, that all fragrance is unisex so wear what you like. And I think the girls you know will like it as Egoiste has notes of cinnamon, lavender and vanilla and you can never go wrong that that. : )