Code of Conduct

Question Habit Rouge edt sillage/projection?

I read just about every review out there on this stuff. Between BN and Fragrantica that's literally like 500 reviews. Many, over half, cautioned to go lightly on the trigger as this edt was 'easy to overdo' and 'a sillage beast', etc. More than a couple cautioned "no more than 1-2 sprays'. Well mine arrived today and after my shower I put on 4 sprays because it was just going to be me and my partner.going to a casual dinner then shopping for art supplies. I sprayed two spritzed in my palm and rubbed it all over my body then I sprayed one blast on my chest and the other on the back of my neck.

I could only smell it on me if sniffed close to my arm or if I put my nose down my shirt. My partner didn't notice it at all until 3 hours later when we got to his place and we hugged. I told him about it before we hugged so I don't know if he would've noticed it if I didn't point it out.

I'm not one that desires a fragrance cloud surrounding me but I do like my scent to project at least a couple feet around me. While we were at the art supply store there was a man who apparently bathed in some aquatic and I could smell him two aisles away (his poor son). That was over the top but there's got to be some happy medium!

Is this the result of a new formulation? It was a humid day, could that have affected the projection? I have oily skin, could that be a factor? I'm going to try 6 sprays next time. Has anyone else had this particular problem with HR?

BTW, I LOVE the fragrance. I'm falling in love as it evolves. I didn't care for it when I first spritzed it but the dry down is divine.
    Smell my finger.

Default Re: Habit Rouge edt sillage/projection?

Just goes to show you that you should do what suits you.

for swap/sale:

If you appreciate a superior performance (smell, si/pro/lo) you have to go vintage....

The Habit Rouge I have is at least 15 years old ( maybe more, my memory is going!!); very strong, very long lasting, very projecting.

Basenotes Plus

I picked up some vintage Habit Rouge EDC last week. Long lasting, nice projection and very refined.

with new formulation... all the way down!
    with old formulations..... you will discover new planets!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Thanks. I'll look for an older bottle on Ebay.
    Smell my finger.

You should try the EDP, if you prefer the dry down to the opening. It's really quite nice in my opinion. Strangely, I never got on with the current EDT on myself , it kind of smelled of dusty old boxes! but my bottle smells fantastic on a friend of mine so I I'm guessing it actually smelled nice on me from everyone else's perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing this month:

Bentley for men intense
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Antaeus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    YSL La Nuit de L'homme
    Lanvin Monsieur Lanvin
    D'Orsay Le Dandy
    Guerlain Heritage
    Guerlain L'homme Ideal
    Dior Fahrenheit Parfum
    Boucheron Jaipur

Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    You should try the EDP
    I agree the EdP is well worth it compared to the EdT if you don't pursue the vintage.

My Habit Rouge EDT also an older bottle, always has had good projection. Also get good projection from the EDP.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have no problems with the current EdT whatsoever. In fact, it's pretty strong.

Thanks for the parfum suggestions. I almost purchased it first but read it has an oud note in it and I wanted to try the edt first. I'm definitely going to be getting a bottle of the edp. I'm falling in love with this stuff. An added bonus is that my grandmother wore Shalimar and it reminds me of her late in the drydown. This edt lasts insanely long! I can still smell it on my shirt over 26 hours after I spritzed it yesterday.

SaminLondon, it might just be my body chemistry as I think I'm the only person I'm aware of that has complained about the sillage of the edt. I'm going to try mixing a spray into my jojoba oil beard oil so it'll act like pomander for the fragrance.
    Smell my finger.

So did you put it all on under your clothes? I have a bottle of edt that I got this year and it performs well. I spray my shirt and forearms or sleeves though.

^^ Yes mostly. I'm going to wear it tomorrow and I'll try applying it differently to see if that helps. Thanks.
    Smell my finger.

Comparable to the one of Heritage EDT from the same house, thus (in my opinion) good sillage and projection performances. Not the heaviest or the most overpowering fragrance, but very good at lingering and lasting subtly while still making a discreet but unmistakable impression.

I have an older bottle of EdT and find that it performs very well indeed.

I haven't worn Habit Rouge for a while now: I think I may just include it in this week's rotation...

Habit Rouge was never made to be a strong projection beast, it's civilized well groomed and knows how to seduce. The current edt does project but very subtle those in your presences will smell it. The edp is much more subtle and remains a long time but stay close to the skin where some one would need to hug you and be very close to detect it.

^^ Understood and I'm really not one to care about this stuff. I'm not one to call attention to myself in public. It was just suprising to me considering all the warnings I read and after 4 sprays my partner didn't notice it on me after spending 3 hours together. I'm going to my folk's anniversary dinner tomorrow night and this time I'm going to apply one spray to my chest, one to the back of my neck, one spray will be mixed with jojoba oil and combed into my beard and one spray will go on top of my shirt, chest area.

If 4 sprays doesn't work for me this time, I'll try 5 on Thanksgiving dinner.

God, I love this place. :lol:
    Last edited by superfluousPastry; 24th November 2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Smell my finger.

The only version of Habit Rouge that will satisfy you, in terms of presence, will be the vintage EDT. Not the EDP and certainly not the extrait.

It's the only Guerlain masculine EDT that has some oomph (vintage, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    The only version of Habit Rouge that will satisfy you, in terms of presence, will be the vintage EDT. Not the EDP and certainly not the extrait.

It's the only Guerlain masculine EDT that has some oomph (vintage, of course).
    Yesssss

for swap/sale:

I own the pre-current formulation of the edt (which is imo the same as current only different package) and the red leather jacket covered bottle of the edp version.
    The edt is imo pretty loud and has above average longevity while the edp has low projection but lasts 12+ hrs.
    In other threads most people claim the vintage edc is best!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    The problem is finding a bottle where the juice hasn't been compromised too much.

I once bought one and the juice had completely turned. Managed to get a full-refund, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    There is no such thing as "the best" in life and/or chacun à son goût....;-)

I own a bottle of the EDC and the EDT both from 1985 and I prefer the EDT.
    It´s deeper and denser and the focus is much more on the oriental facets.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage EDC from 1987 is currently available at Jasina in Singapore.

Habit Rouge is quite strong in it's own right. Never have the vintage, but even the newer one is quite powerful blast
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Well, ladies and gentleman, I went heavy on the trigger today. 6 sprays total, two to the neck, one on each arm, one under my shirt (chest area) and another over my shirt (chest area) Sillage and projection were better but still not enough that anyone noticed I was wearing fragrance, even my brother who is quite interested in these things. He liked Habit Rouge when I let him smell my arm but in the 2 hours we were togther (30 minutes after I put it on) he didn't know I had any fragrance on.

Think I might have to hit ebay and purchase a vintage formulation like a few in this thread have suggested. ...or else keep trying to increase spritzes. On Thanksgiving I'll try 8 and see if anyone notices.
    Smell my finger.

Looks like 10 sprays does the trick for me. Three to the neck, two to the chest, one each in inner elbow, one in each bend of knee and one on my belly. Not projecting too much but at least I can smell it on me and my brother and partner could tell I was wearing fragrance.
    Smell my finger.