Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Bleu - Thoughts

Wasn't a fan at first, but there was something that kept bringing me back to it. Been wearing it two days in a row now and have to say that this could easily be one of my favorites. I actually think it might edge out Aventus (which I own and feel it's getting too much hype). Longevity and silliage is great on me--just the right amount without being too heavy and rude. However, you have to use a bottle and spray it to achieve good results; I was using a sample and wasn't getting great performance out of it.

So, should I ask my wife to get this for me for Christmas? Or just hold off.

Default Re: Chanel Bleu - Thoughts

If you dig it, go for it; it's a solid frag, it's versatile and it's a crowd pleaser.

Bleu de Chanel is my favorite of the scents I own. It is by no means a replacements for Aventus. But for those of us that can't spring for the Creed, it's as good as it gets. Super wearable and complex enough to keep me coming back over and over. Get it for Christmas, you will be happy

I think Bleu is quite alright

Go for it. I'm in the same boat as you. My wife absolutely loves it. I really enjoy it, but I find myself WANTING to not like it...don't know why. Yet, everytime I wear my sample, I think--crap...this is pretty nice. I've finally caved and put it on my Buy list.

Also--I've done it, too, but you shouldn't feel the need to "ask our permission" As Beast said...if you like it, get it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

at first, i thought it was very average. then, i gave it a full wearing and i liked it a lot. longevity wasn't great on my skin (5-6 hrs) though. will definitely wear it a few more times before deciding whether to buy it.

Bleu de Chanel is great. Wish the longevity was a bit better but the grapefruit/incense/mint notes all work so nice together. People say its generic, but I honestly have not smelled anything like it.

Only downside is the price. It's a fragrance you can wear in all season so you use it up fast. You cant find it discounted anywhere without it being a fake.

Blog Entries

I find BdC very good and versatile. Such a nice pleasant scent, with very good longevity and projection on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    People say its generic, but I honestly have not smelled anything like it.

If you like it enough, have her get it.

Basenotes Plus

I went to a store recently and tried a bunch of scents on paper. I ended up getting Fahrenheit (I think I was born in a vat of gasoline, I love that petroleum smell) but even then Bleu de Chanel only got 4th in the runnings. This is strictly paper though so I might consider purchasing it in the future.

If anyone was curious, the two that also beat out Bleu de Chanel were Le Male and Artisan by John Varvatos (don't judge me ).

Bleu is a good look for any Fraghead. Enjoy!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Definitely give Bleu a thumbs up. Can be worn day or night, season after season, non-offensive. A very good fragrance by Chanel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

there are significant difference between BDC and your average aquatic, but they are subtle (even to a basenoter).

you may have longevity problems , but if you're willing to pay $60-90, you'll have yourself a nice fragrance

Bleu de Chanel is great fragrance and I love it!!! You must get it

It's an ADG

Everyone likes it. It smells fresh and neutral. Everyone should have it in their wardrobe. You can't really go wrong with this one.

Get it! lol ..

This is my SOTD, love it..

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrance_Extraordinaire View Post
    It's an ADG. Everyone likes it. It smells fresh and neutral.
    Au contraire. Since the original poster asked, I find Bleu de Chanel an overbearing synthetic headache. Vastly overrated by the same people who love Terre d'Hermes because both scents have the same overload of iso e super/musk.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Au contraire. Since the original poster asked, I find Bleu de Chanel an overbearing synthetic headache. Vastly overrated by the same people who love Terre d'Hermes because both scents have the same overload of iso e super/musk.
    Same here, I just don't like it at all. I wouln't buy it even if it was the last perfume in the world.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Bleu de Chanel is very good. I like it a lot. I guess it disappointed a lot of people at its launch, for whatever reason.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Horrible stuff.

Bleu is among my top 3. Definitely a solid and safe buy, especially when you've already tested it and like it. Disregard those people who claim that it is a generic fresh scent - I own many fresh sporty scents and Bleu stands out clearly as being more complex, more versatile and superior in terms of longevity and sillage.

I agree with those that say it's somewhat synthetic, but still love it! I think it has that "freshly laundered" vibe to it, and would describe it as a "happy" fragrance, as it puts a spring in my step when I wear it. I currently only have a spray sample vial of it, but definitely intend buying a bottle soon.

Sound Scents

I personally can't stand the stuff, but if you like it, why not?
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I do like Bleu de Chanel quite a bit and almost every female I've encountered loves this on me. If you like it then I'd say yes, definitely put this on your Christmas list.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

If Chanel discontinueed BDC, it would end up being like derby, vintage m7, etc.... kind of like a van gogh art.... no one appreciated van gogh until he was gone....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Not terrible but not particularly good either on my skin.

On my limited one spray from a Boots store tester, i quite liked the smell of it. I was skeptical at first about this, but i've really come to love the smell of this. I don't get compliments on fragrances i wear, but this would definitely be something that would get them if you usually do and it works on your skin. I'd recommend you try it first and then buy as with anything

Could be a total win or fail if it doesn't go well with your skin chemistry

Went through half of a 1.7 oz bottle and was done with it. There's something about the slightly powdery orange that makes me think of the old orange flavor children's chewable aspirin.

I had a bottle which I used over the summer. Solid, bland, unremarkable. I couldn't muster up a strong opinion on it. Females really seemed to like it on me though. (I wish they liked the fragrances I like as much as this!)

Not a massive fan, but if you like it lots and your wife loves it - no brainer. Done deal.

Well, I tend to mostly prefer old-fashioned fragrances and powerhouses of the past, and I really don't have much time for the masses of indistinguishable "fresh", "light", "aquatic", "sport" fragrances (or whatever you want to call them) which have been with us since the nineties - I'm very much of the "if you smell one, you've smelled them all" thought.

But the one modern fresh fragrance I really do like is Bleu de Chanel. To me it does seem to be different from the crowd, and smells like someone has spent a bit of time getting the blend right. I don't have any, but my brother-in-law does and I occasionally use his (just like he uses my Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, curse him )
    Alan

I like it enough to where I would purchase a bottle for the right price. To be honest, next to Boss Bottled, Bleu would probably be one of my most used fragrances.
    Ignore all of the "it's generic" comments. Yes, it does fall under the same vein as many other fragrance. However, it doesn't smell like anything I have ever tried.

A nice, pleasant scent. Wear it if you like it and enjoy it.

To me, it is now too common to be a statement-maker.

If you are looking for "unique," look elsewhere. This one is very popular that seemingly everyone wears it, and Spicebomb is going the same way.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've decided to ask for it for Christmas. My wife hasn't smelled it yet, but I believe she'll like it. I personally think it's a great scent with the perfect amount of longevity/silliage.

I am sure you and everyone around you will enjoy this scent. I enjoy this over many of my other fragrances and as beautiful as the opening is the drydown is even more special with a creamy incense with vetiver lurking in the background. Projection is excellent and longetivity for me is more than I can ask for with easy 12+ hours. This scent in no way is an aquatic just some citrus grapefruit in the begining I would say more of a citrus woody.

This is one balanced fragrance. Scent, sillage, and longevity. It shifts effortlessly between its notes revealing distinct layers. Aquatic to woods.

Grand juice!

In spite of the hype, the often excessive popularity, this scent is actually objectively good and definitely high quality, a contemporary fragrance with above average versatility.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with Ken_Russell, but would like to add the follow caveats:

First off, it is safe. I cannot find something in the composition that challenges me or that makes it strikingly unique. Second, it is not a scent I have, had or plan on owning (only sampled on a few occasions)...my perspective is that it is a scent to wear for others, not yourself (if you are truly and deeply into fragrance). It is what one would wear on a "day-off" from wearing their more "serious juice" - but make sure they feel confident on the way out the door, knowing it is pleasing to other people's noses and is not a bad scent. However, I can get that with SO many fresh scents - I don't really consider Chanel Bleu to be worthwhile. Sorry.

It is definitely over-hyped and excessively popular - no doubt. But, who wants to smell like everyone else?

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In spite of the hype, the often excessive popularity, this scent is actually objectively good and definitely high quality, a contemporary fragrance with above average versatility.
    - - - Updated - - -

Sorry change1 -

I don't mean to sound insulting - but to compare Bleu de Chanel to Guerlan Derby (or Guerlain ANYTHING), Vintage M7...or Van Gogh's art is ludicrous. It's actually funny for a moment (even laughable), but in reality, is rather insulting.

A safe, mainstream synthetic fragrance that smells decent cannot be compared to those classic bottles of olfactory art and definitely not the genius work of Van Gogh.

It could have never existed or be gone tomorrow and world of fragrance would never have known or cared. The ONLY people who care are the people at Chanel who are making a fortune on a very mediocre composition.

I don't have disdain for Bleu de Chanel - however, it never has and never will be in my collection.

Again, please do not take this as a personal attack...but I had to say something that preserves the integrity of what truly amazing bottles and the work of a man who painted some of the most revelatory works of art in the history of our existence.

If you can honestly say that in a time capsule (with the Mayan prophecy of 12/21/12 upon us - I will go there), you would put your bottle of Bleu de Chanel next to a bottle of Guerlain Derby and throw in "Starry Night" so it would define ART on various levels...I can only imagine the confusion it would create for the next intelligent beings who discovered it. Cavemen would wonder, man.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    If Chanel discontinueed BDC, it would end up being like derby, vintage m7, etc.... kind of like a van gogh art.... no one appreciated van gogh until he was gone....
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Bleu is clearly an excellent scent. I'd find it silly to suggest otherwise.

There will always be a certain amount of snobbery when it comes to popularity, with those who think their taste is too superior to enjoy anything the masses would enjoy. The same people who today ask "Why isn't Scent X more popular?" would be the first to thumb their noses at Scent X next year if it becomes a smash success. It's true with perfume. It's true with music. It's true with any form of art. If Bleu had stayed under the radar, it would get more love here. So would Acqua Di Gio.

Bleu smells nothing like AdG, but it will have the same drawback: if you want to smell unique, Bleu isn't a good choice. It is a monster success for Chanel, and it's going to be in millions of mens' wardrobes next year. Chanel is advertising it very heavily on TV, with good reason. If a guy is getting a bottle of "cologne" for Christmas this year, odds are insanely high that he (and every other guy) is getting a bottle of Bleu.

If you want to fit in rather than stand out, buy Bleu. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just that Bleu is going to be ubiquitous.

Bleu is already a top seller, and it's sales are growing, growing, growing.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

While i understand what my above compadre is trying to say regarding the 'stand out' part by buying something different as others clamour to buy this. I would have to disagree somewhat. If this scent works on your skin and you really do like it, you should buy it, but understand that sometimes smelling the same scent all over the place could take the 'shine' off the scent if your not prepared to temper expectations on how many panties/compliments you want to get.

You should wear a scent because you love how it smells and makes you feel when wearing it. How it sets another facet into the ambience you've just tried to create for that day to go on that date, or maybe just enjoy a formal event etc. I hope to buy this one to add to my collection sometime down the line when i see offers on. Chanel are one of those hard fragrances to get a bigger drop on, but i'll wait it out till i see a drop. I buy all my fragrances at a good discount, and will do the same for this and the other Chanels many applaud on here

Basenotes Plus

I too have aventus (my signature scent at the moment) and picked up chanel bleu. It is quite nice. The only thing is that too many people have this and i will presume that even more people will get it, so you run into a high chance of someone else smelling the same as you. (5 other people bought it when i got mine...) I'm not actually sure if i'd be wearing this simply because of that. Although i'm testing a mixture of bleu and no5 premiere to create something more unique. it mixes with creed silver mountain water well too, so that's my solution for now.

I love bleu de chanel. Got me a 3.4 oz beast

Yeah, it's a good one. Nice scent, which couldn't possibly offend anyone. On the contrary, just about everyone around me seems to like it. Got it as a gift from my older daughter, who hates most colognes/perfumes. But she likes this one.

Bleu de Chanel is an evolutionary upgrade further along the well trodden path out of the chemists front door and over the back of perfume classics such as Azzaro Chrome, Fierce for Men, Versace pour Homme and Versace Eau Fraiche. Versace is a big name designer and they went all synthetic to the "dark side" of fragrances and were not crucified for it. Leave Chanel alone. Bleu is good. I think we traditionalists might have expected Chanel to take the "road less traveled by" and stay with more "real" materials or even go post modern by making new real out of the abstract. But, after all what does "real" or "natural" mean anymore in fragrance composition?? Chanel's result is a very good mainstream fragrance - Bleu - it will not offend anyone and doesn't tread outside the lines of convention and again it smells good. It smells clean and refreshing in the same way that finer laundry detergents, glass cleaner or bottled hand soaps improve the smell of the surface of our world. Bleu is right in step with the pace of modern styling. It is presented in an attractive bottle as well. I always smell better when spraying from a bottle so blue and well crafted. In fact I smell better just looking at the bottle, I think.

Chemical. Harsh. Cheap.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

In most aspects I'd have to agree.

Gents, my wife got me the bottle for Christmas and I absolutely love the stuff. I don't care what others say about it, Bleu is a solid fragrance that you can easily wear anytime and in any situation. Will always be in my collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Gents, my wife got me the bottle for Christmas and I absolutely love the stuff. I don't care what others say about it, Bleu is a solid fragrance that you can easily wear anytime and in any situation. Will always be in my collection.

I think it's similar to the reformulated dior homme sport, dior homme is a little more creamy and less sharp

CologneFan85

Its a clean, safe fragrance. But I have noticed this past week on me anyways that it has become to smell "per fumy" My Gf and a few family member's asked if I was wearing woman's perfume...I dont think I will be wearing this any longer.

Dear Chanel: please issue a bar soap version.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
    at first, i thought it was very average. then, i gave it a full wearing and i liked it a lot. longevity wasn't great on my skin (5-6 hrs) though. will definitely wear it a few more times before deciding whether to buy it.
    +1. Didn't care for it at first, but it has grown on me. It has a lovely drydown. It has become a bestseller from Chanel, so there is a lot of love for it out there. My next purchase!

I have a spray sample of BdC, but I dismissed it after spraying it once. I thought it smelled too common, but not bad. I'll have to give it a full wearing and see how it pans out.

Its a nice safe scent, women love it BUT I concur with Eric its not in the same level as those fragrances he mentioned.
    The ocean accord/ calone gives it a generic vibe at times and AF Fierce incorporates that same molecule, as do many many low end fragrances.