Code of Conduct

Default What is your favorite version of Mitsouko?

I'm trying to decide between the current EDP and vintage EDT, it seems like there's a lot of those on Ebay now.

Default Re: What is your favorite version of Mitsouko?

There was a talk about Guerlain having found a way to reintroduce oakmoss in an IFRA compliant way, but I don't think I've heard anybody say that the current version manages to do that. Without that, vintage whatever is probably the way to go.

cacio

Older Extrait or PdT work best for me.

I wouldn't mind getting a gallon of vintage EDC, come to think of it.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Older Extrait or PdT work best for me.

I wouldn't mind getting a gallon of vintage EDC, come to think of it.
    Listen to this man. He speaks with great wisdom.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old PdT and new Extrait.

Old extrait, if you can find it.

I actually really liked the vintage edt, it has a sparkling vibe bright sunny warm.
    Vintage edp, think 80s for both if possible.

I love the extract no matter how old.
    DONNA

I smelled the most recent version of Mitsouko last week in Fortnums. It was a pathetic cartoon of a once truly great fragrance. If you can get some vintage (the older version the better), then grab it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    There was a talk about Guerlain having found a way to reintroduce oakmoss in an IFRA compliant way ...
    Don't tease us like that, C.

Vintage extrait.

I like the current edp okay, but, still boo-hoo.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would take any vintage version, because I have not smelled these and I love Mitsouko, but I have the current EDP and love it. If a vintage EDP version is better then I would snatch it up!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Guerlainista

I thought that there was a recent version of Mitsouko that used treemoss instead of oakmoss, and that this is the bad one. Then, Guerlain was able to source some oakmoss that is IFRA compliant and the Mitsouko using this are much better.

Thierry Wasser mentions this in the interview last year:

http://www.basenotes.net/content/919...Thierry-Wasser
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks, rubegon. Here's a quote from that link for everyone's reference. It's just so sad.

My love for Mitsouko made me push the oakmoss supplier to get as close as possible to the original version without having the specific molecule which is not allowed by IFRA. I do have now a natural oakmoss which is IFRA approved.

Due to the IFRA regulations, there are some materials that I can’t even purchase anymore! Even if I wanted to make a reconstitution of a vintage Guerlain in the way it was originally created, I can’t find the raw materials! They are gone, the oil, the oil companies and growers are all long gone or discontinued.

You know, strictly for my own sake and education, I wanted to recompound Mitsouko, Shalimar, and L’Heure Bleue in their original forms but getting the raw materials required was not easy.

I went to Calabria and asked a supplier to provide me with the raw bergamot oil before any processing and I would able to recompound those classics. I also sourced some Musk Ambrette down in India. You have no idea of the amount of time, energy and patience it takes to track down practically non-existent raw materials and suppliers just to have them for my own use and knowledge to use in trials. These are ingredients that IFRA has deemed illegal for release to the general public, so even if I wanted to release a vintage version of a Guerlain fragrance, we cannot do so because of legislation.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

EDC is wonderful and I also adore the older EDT. The current EDP is acceptable

Only know and own EDT and it's awesome. Can only imagine how much the other versions would tickle all the right places.

My most favorite version is older EdC from the 50s but it is very rare now (purplebird reviewed mine under Mitsouko in the Directory), with creamy peaches and soft moss. The second best is older extrait.

treeman5823

You won't go wrong either way (vintage or current). The current edp still smells fantastic, and yes, mossy.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mitsouko is one of the fragrances that does not age as well as some other vintage fumes. I try to buy the edp from the 60's - 80's, though truly today's edp is very fine.

Actually, the extrait version is the only one I like - the others have a coumarin-type note that doesn't sit well with me. The extrait is the one which opened up everything devotees had been expressing.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that Mitsouko is one of the fragrances that does not age as well as some other vintage fumes. I try to buy the edp from the 60's - 80's, though truly today's edp is very fine.
    Yes, the current edp is still great; it is of excellent quality and still has an intense mossiness.

Basenotes Institution

I have said many times that Mitsouko is one of the few fragrances where I like every single version of it that I have smelled (well, except for that flanker Guerlain did, the Fleur one...which I have not smelled yet). The EdC, EdT, EdP and extrait (new and vintage) are all splendid. NOTE: Many Mitsouko that is vintage has turned slightly in the top notes so you have to be careful when buying on eBay.

If I had to pick one, it would be vintage Extrait. It has a green, medicinal, sharp intensity to it that sort of intensifies for quite a while before the peach/moss rushes in. For a few minutes it doesn't smell like a chypre or like itself...but some sort of poisonous, spiky, harsh smell. Which I love.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle