Code of Conduct

Default Your Ideal Winter Wardrobe

Winter's officially here. As the days get shorter and the air nippier, I find myself leaning towards rich animalics, orientals, smoke, tobacco, leather, incense, musk, amber, tea, vanilla and patchouli notes. Even more interestingly, I realise that I develop an ephemeral tolerance - even liking - for certain notes/genres which I usually detest or am indifferent towards - gourmands, oud, cumin, lavender and so forth.

So my question today is: ideally, how would you like to smell during winter? I own some of these in FB, some in decants, some in samples and some are fragrances I've tested previously. But ideally, the fragrances I'd love to wear (and possibly own) for winter are as follows (in no particular order):

1) Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille, Shalimar, Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, Jicky, Encens Mythique D'Orient
    2) Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, Amber Absolute, Noir de Noir
    3) Serge Lutens Une Voix Noire, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Encens et Lavande, Sarrasins, Fourreau Noir, Santal Majuscule, Santal de Mysore, Ambre Sultan
    4) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Portrait of a Lady
    5) Caron Parfum Sacre, Tabac Blond, Poivre
    6) Neela Vermeire Mohur, Trayee
    7) L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two, Passage D'Enfer, Nuit de Tubereuse, Dzing
    8) Mona di Orio Vanille, Tubereuse, Musc, Oud
    9) Robert Piguet Bandit, Visa, Fracas
    10) Montale Black Aoud, Blue Amber
    11) Chanel Cuir de Russie, Coromandel, Sycomore, Coco, Bois de Iles
    12) Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, Cuir Ottoman
    13) By Kilian Back to Black, Rose Oud
    14) Ormonde Jayne Ta'if, Tolu
    15) Hermes Ambre Narguile, Vetiver Tonka, L'Ambre des Merveilles
    16) Ramon Monegal Cuirelle, Mon Patchouly
    17) The Different Company Jasmine de Nuit
    18) Knize Ten
    19) Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire pour Femme
    20) Miscellaneous - Hugo Boss Deep Red, JPG Classique, Kiehl's Original Musc, Bulgari Omnia, Bulgari Black, Lancome Cuir

What are yours?

Default Re: Your Ideal Winter Wardrobe

whimsicaldiva, that is one gorgeous list of fragrances!

I too wear my "deeper, stronger" perfumes more often in the winter...Chanel Cuir de Russie, Bottega Veneta, Hypnotic Poison, Timbuktu, Caleche. I also find that when I reach the dead of winter...here in New England, usually in January, I begin to feel starved for the smells of nature since the air is cold and devoid of scents and the ground frozen and usually covered with snow.... I start to crave citrusy and aromatic scents, so out they come to give me blasts of fresh air and a joyful alternative to the cozy, heavier scents.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Quote Originally Posted by whimsicaldiva View Post
    Winter's officially here. As the days get shorter and the air nippier, I find myself leaning towards rich animalics, orientals, smoke, tobacco, leather, incense, musk, amber, tea, vanilla and patchouli notes. Even more interestingly, I realise that I develop an ephemeral tolerance - even liking - for certain notes/genres which I usually detest or am indifferent towards - gourmands, oud, cumin, lavender and so forth.

So my question today is: ideally, how would you like to smell during winter? I own some of these in FB, some in decants, some in samples and some are fragrances I've tested previously. But ideally, the fragrances I'd love to wear (and possibly own) for winter are as follows (in no particular order):

1) Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille, Shalimar, Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, Jicky, Encens Mythique D'Orient
    2) Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, Amber Absolute, Noir de Noir
    3) Serge Lutens Une Voix Noire, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Encens et Lavande, Sarrasins, Fourreau Noir, Santal Majuscule, Santal de Mysore, Ambre Sultan
    4) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Portrait of a Lady
    5) Caron Parfum Sacre, Tabac Blond, Poivre
    6) Neela Vermeire Mohur, Trayee
    7) L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two, Passage D'Enfer, Nuit de Tubereuse, Dzing
    8) Mona di Orio Vanille, Tubereuse, Musc, Oud
    9) Robert Piguet Bandit, Visa, Fracas
    10) Montale Black Aoud, Blue Amber
    11) Chanel Cuir de Russie, Coromandel, Sycomore, Coco, Bois de Iles
    12) Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, Cuir Ottoman
    13) By Kilian Back to Black, Rose Oud
    14) Ormonde Jayne Ta'if, Tolu
    15) Hermes Ambre Narguile, Vetiver Tonka, L'Ambre des Merveilles
    16) Ramon Monegal Cuirelle, Mon Patchouly
    17) The Different Company Jasmine de Nuit
    18) Knize Ten
    19) Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire pour Femme
    20) Miscellaneous - Hugo Boss Deep Red, JPG Classique, Kiehl's Original Musc, Bulgari Omnia, Bulgari Black, Lancome Cuir

What are yours?
    That pretty much sums it up. We seem to have similar taste.
    For the next few months though I will not have access to my full collection, so the most important ones for december and january will be:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood (I'm currently into my Tom Ford decants)
    Maybe Tom Ford Amber Absolute (I find the Gaiac note a bit challenging)
    Ambre Russe
    Shalimar Ode a la Vanille
    Hermes Equipage
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Heeley Cuir pleine fleur
    Knize Ten
    Ambre Narguile (layered with poivre samarcande)
    VEtiver tonka
    Bois dew Iles
    Dior Eau Noire
    Dior Leather Oud
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EdP
    Mitsouko EdP

For me, the winter stars are Taif, Tolu, Youth Dew (the bath oil) and Parfum Sacre. But at any time, in any weather, the longing for a clear, summery rose may strike me. And I quite like Taif as a summer scent, anyway.

Basenotes Plus

Whimsical Diva, I love your "ideal winter wardrobe". Mine would look somewhat the same, only I haven't tried the Ramon Monegal or the Neela Vermeire lines yet, but I plan to. I would also have to add Chanel 31 Rue Cambon. Also, of the Hermessence line, Vanille Galante, Santa Massoia and Poivre Samarcande. Would include a few more Guerlain's like some of the L'Art et la Matiere and Les Elixirs Charnels lines and can't forget Vol de Nuit, L'Instant or Shalimar Parfum Initial. A few random ones would be Anne Pliska, Barbara Bui, Donna Karan Black Cashmere and Gold, Dior Hypnotic Poison, YSL Opium, Chopard Casmir and Fendi Theorema would also make the list. Oh and I can't forget Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, love that one and their Nutmeg & Ginger. Also, would like to have Ormonde Jayne Taif and Ormonde Woman someday.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 2nd December 2012 at 03:50 PM.

There are lots of good sounding fragrances in this thread - I like winter months as they make some of my favorite fragrances come into their own. I'll add one for outdoors in the dead of winter.

IUNX Splash Forte is warming when the air is really cold and you're going to be outside. It is spicy and warm but doesn't have the heavy powder cloud that follows other warm ambers and spices around in cold winter air, making them kind of obnoxious. Splash Forte renders its fragrance a little clearer, a little cleaner; but in spite of that it is still very warming and, the best part, invigorating.

I don't like it as much another time of the year, but in the snow it's amazing for skiing, snowshoeing, snow machining, whatever. It makes you feel warmer just wearing it.
    Last edited by flathorn; 20th December 2012 at 07:11 AM.

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. I've gotten a sample of Diptyque Eau Duelle and I have fallen IN LOVE WITH IT!!!

Angel with it's weird pine-tree note (that only I and a few others smell apparently) is Christmas in a bottle to me.

It's not quite winter here in NYC, but this is what I have been wearing/plan to wear;

Jil Sander 4
    Hypnotic Poison
    Casmir
    Fracas
    Vendetta
    Fendi
    L'Arte de Gucci
    Magie Noire (vint)
    Apercu
    Rafinnee Houbigant
    Neonatura Coccoon
    Cinnabar (vint)
    KL
    Coco (vint)
    Occur! (vint)
    Poison (vint)
    DK Black Cashmere
    Safari (vint)
    L'Occitaine Ambre
    Gianni Versace (classic)
    Diva
    Madness
    Tuscany Per Donna
    Talisman
    Teatro ala Scala
    Alahine
    Habanita
    Geisha Noire

I wear these to help me through the damp/dark. I will not be cold, trust me.

My ideal winter wardrobe would be: PG Cadjmere, by Kilian Back to Black, SL Chergui, Cuir Ottomon,

My ideal winter wardrobe is All About Amber, with generous helpings of vanilla and smoke thrown in for good measure, some patchouli/woods, spice, booze, and nuts, and (in a huge surprise to me) a dash of powder. These are the ones I can't be without this winter:

(1) Ambers: TF Amber Absolute, HdP Ambre 114, AG Ambre Fetiche, PdE Ambre Russe, SL Ambre Sultan, SSS Winter Woods, PG L'Ombre Fauvre
    (2) Vanillas: SL Un Bois Vanille, LMdLV Vanille Givree Des Antilles, Diptyque Eau Duelle, PG Felanilla
    (3) Smoke/Incense: ELdO Divin' Enfant, SL Fumerie Turque, SL Encens et Lavande, Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense, Slumberhouse Baque, SL Fourreau Noir, CdG Jaisalmer
    (4) Patchouli/Woods: PG Intrigant Patchouli, Mazzolari Patchouly, Diptyque Tam Dao, 10 Corso Como, Ava Luxe Bois Exotique
    (5) Spice: Givenchy Organza Indecence, Piguet Visa, SL Arabie
    (6) Booze: Frapin 1270 and Speakeasy and SL Une Voix Noire
    (7) Nuts: PG Aomassai
    (8) Powder: Mazzolari Lei, FM Une Fleur de Cassie

Huh. Are there enough days in winter to wear all of these? YES!!