Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Assembling a Sample Pass

Can't wait to hear your impressions Cacio!
    Last edited by southerngardens; 10th February 2013 at 07:59 PM.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

It's the weekend so I just started to smell.

Guilty woman: not for me. It opens as the usual fruity floral, then, on my skin, it goes straight to the drydown, which happens to be an unremarkable, almost unpleasant woody amber.

Ellen Tracy Bronze: interesting, at first I perceived it in the mold of other "beach" frags, recalling European tanning lotions. Vaguely ambery, almondy (heliotropin like materials), but here with a touch more sweetish fruits and flowers. Edit: as it goes it seems to become more sweet and woody, and not a "beach" frag. Funny how first impressions can deceive.

Iris silver mist: I own this one already, but was curious to smell because apparently it was reformulated. This smells similar to mine, a big iris with the carrot, root, and bread aspect all loud and clear, and supported by sharp synthetics that add to the power.

Jasmin noir: clearly not true jasmine, which is rare in modern perfumery (and has been banned too). It's more generically woody-floral to my nose though, I concur with previous sniffers.

Demeter gin and tonic: as many Demeters, does what it says on the bottle. For about 5 seconds. After which it disappears.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 10th February 2013 at 01:00 AM.

I have to dig deep in Gucci's timeline to find a fragrance that really stands out as something unique and beautiful, i.e. Envy & Rush.

Honey-sweet Guilty is the least interesting in their line-up and for me, blends into the bottom rung of the fruit/floriental Marc Jacobs/Burberry genre.
    That being said, a few from their easy Flora Collection keep me from completely giving up.

I'm with you on this - at least early with Tom Ford there was an attempt to create stuff that was popular and good - and the two are indeed standouts. After that, nothing.

cacio

Blog Entries

Hahaha, Pu Pu platter! This thread is helpful; it's weeding out less fragrances for me to test in the future.

New batch:

Sonia Rykiel for woman: the top is very dry, violet and blackcurrant leaves, aromatics, not bad, but almost unfriendly. Then some sweet comes out and it becomes more traditionally woody floral. Re-reading the previous comments, I'm a little puzzled because I usually don't like fruity, but this one didn't strike me as being particularly sweet. Perhaps I'm anosmic to the sweet aromachemical in it.
    Demeter Between the sheets: somehow, from the name, I was expecting a laundry musk. But it's a surprising citrus-grapefruit spritz. Then disappears shortly after contact, as usual with most Demeter.
    24 Faubourg: rich, old style floral. With some green and sharp florals, but not too much, with some deeper ambery florals, but not too much, above all, thick, almost oily. The feel is elegant, formal, no relaxation here. Very good - I can see myself wearing this.
    Narciso Rodriguez Mus for her Intense: pink musk. Clearly a superclean musk, but with floral overnotes, or perhaps it's just the musk that happens to smell like this. Smooth, and in the genre a good one. But clearly not for me.
    Womanity gout de parfum: I don't own womanity, so I cannot compare exactly how this differs from the regular one, to me it smells very similar, that is, a weird but interesting marine, salty fig focaccia. As it often happens, Mugler perfumes are not shy in trying new combos. This one is compelling, in part because of the novelty, and yet, not 100% successful to my nose. I keep wondering whether the idea could be perfected. At the same time, every time I smell it I find it interesting, so who knows, perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to it. I've always been puzzled by the relation between fig focaccia and womanhood - there is one in the Italian language, but the perfume is French so it cannot be that.

A few missing - actually, I just noticed that some have the label completely smudged, so it'll be fun - I'll see if I can match smell and perfume, also based on previous comments.

cacio

- - - Updated - - -

Now the unlabelled. I identified easily Tauer Incense Rose, which I own. Very good rose incense. The incense is clean, almost fizzy, the overall impression is of great cleanliness, with a touch of the Tauerade in the background (the dry flinty signature of many Tauers), but subdued.
    Chergui: also identifiable (plus one can see the letters with some effort on the label), rich vegetal tobacco, with dry hay grassy notes and an oriental ambery vanillic drydown.

This leaves two vials. One is a long one and is empty. Another one has some liquid. MIA are Bulgari Blu and Samsara. Will smell tomorrow.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 11th February 2013 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

I am sorry for the late response everyone, but I have not felt well and have been doing Dr. visits and it has slipped my mind! Cacio, If I remember correctly there was a empty vial in the batch when I received it and I must have left it in, sorry! I hope you mean that the Samsara and Bvlgari Blue are the last two you haven't gotten to and not that I misplaced them and they aren't in the package?
    Anything is possible because I suffer from chronic pain, had two sample passes come in at one time and had two of my own going out! Whew! I'm afraid I was not the best sampler in this pass!

Southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

No, the vials were there. just the label was too smudged. Anyway, we figured out one of the unlabelled was Bulgari Blv. Whcih, apart from a semi-interesting chocolate note, isn't really something I usually go to.

And then I forgot to comment on Cuir de Russie (I didn't spray the vial because I have it already). Supersmooth leather to my nose. The edt is more floral than the parfum, which is even smoother, warm, and skin like.

thanks again to schilling for organizing this pts!

cacio