Code of Conduct

Default Why I might leave Creed...

Let me first say that I'll probably always have a bottle of GIT in my collection, however, only if future batches are as good as the one I currently have. But, in my opinion, Creed has so many issues that it's tough for me to be a life long supporter and own multiple bottles. For me it's quite simple: prices (even if you purchase at a discounter) are too high for what you get, batch variations are horrible and product quality is horrendous (My Aventus and GIT bottle cap is ridiculously loose, whereas my Himalaya cap fits nicely).

I mean why wouldn't a company such as Creed--especially with such high prices--do something about batch variations, bad product quality, etc... It's really sorry if you ask me. This is why I'm tempted to switch my loyalty to a mainstream designer such as Chanel. Why would I? Easily. Because I know that if I were to purchase a bottle of Chanel I can always expect the same thing. I won't lose any sleep over it because I can expect the same scent and longevity. Whereas, when I run out of my current bottle of GIT, I might get a bad one on the next purchase. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion. Am I wrong to see it this way?

Default Re: Why I might leave Creed...

Exactly the reason I don't have any Creed's in my collection. Happy to try my luck in a lottery draw!

Only if they had batch consistency!

CologneFan85

Easy switch, go Bond No. 9's . I own a bunch of creeds " look in my wardrobe" But don't use them much.

I'm quite new to this forum and I didn't know about Creed before I joined. Having read a great deal of this forum one thing which puzzles is how and why are the Creed batches so inconsistent? What is the reason and more importantly why can't they rectify it? Taking in to account it is a premium, high end perfume who charge premium amounts this is surely unacceptable?

I will probably end up with a bottle of Aventus at some point simply because I'm so intrigued. I have heard so many good things that I think it's something I'll have to get at some point. I don't think its possible for me to try unless I go to Harrods?

Chanel is fantastic in my opinion. Chanel is one house in which I like pretty much every fragrance they make.

You raise good points. Creeds should be cheaper, more consistent and higher quality

Quality control, not the price, is what has kept me from buying any Creed fragrance.

Retail prices are certainly too high, though discounters seem about right. I agree they should fix consistency issues and packaging. I will continue to buy Creed from discounters simply because they make some fragrances that I enjoy, and I have appropriate expectations.

I can see no reason why you have to have "loyalty" to any perfume house. If you like one or two Creeds, plus a whole range of other houses' fragrances, no harm done. Wear them in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I can see no reason why you have to have "loyalty" to any perfume house. If you like one or two Creeds, plus a whole range of other houses' fragrances, no harm done. Wear them in good health.
    This
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Why So Serious?

That's very well put.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Agreed. The concept of house loyalty is bizarre as every one releases a vast array of different fragrances. As for Creed, I mostly agree. Their bottles are cheap and not all that amazing looking, most of their fragrances suffer projection and longevity issues and the price. I did do a split of Aventus because a)wanted to try it, b) $69 for 50mL is comparable to higher end designers/reasonable, c) "good" batch and d)performs more in line with other fragrances. Most other Creeds do not intrigue me with all of the other factors in play.

The important thing to do as a consumer (in all areas) is always take all factors into play and make independent decisions on all of your purchases. Never let a brand/company have any sway on you and make them earn your hard-earned dollar.

Not a big fan of Creed. I enjoy GIT, but their inconsistencies are annoying and will prevent me from purchasing more Creed products.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Love 'em when they're "right", but it can be maddening. Alas, Creed is still my favorite house. They just suit me so well.

They have had a problem with batches and customer disatisfaction for years but have not properly addressed the main issues as yet. I'm lucky I have five Creeds and all have good longevty and smell great, though when I was purchasing Millesime Imperial I did feel like I was playing Russian Roulette with my money.

But on the other side of the coin....

There are PLENTY of people that have never had any significant issues with "batch variations" and are quite happy with Creed; the majority, in all probability.

IMO, the whole issue seems much more problematic than it really is because we are reading what a few have to say on Basenotes, so reality tends to get skewed. We need to keep in mind that most people DON'T read Basenotes and aren't even aware of any problems with scent inconsistencies when it comes to Creed. Basenotes tends to make the problem seem greater than it really is.

Also, if one DOES notice a problem with a certain Creed, return it and get your money back. Nobody is forced to keep a bad cologne if it is defective.

Creed is good.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I own 5 Creeds and I'm quite happy with all of them. Batch variations, and loose caps aside, they simply smell wonderful and that's the main selling point for me.

Basenotes Plus

This is exactly how I feel. I wear what I like, without regards to the house. Will I tend to gravitate to house that I like when searching for an new perfume, yes, but because it is made by the XYZ house, does not mean that I must have it.

As far as packaging or the cap issue, personally do not care or lose any sleep over it. I am buying the perfume for the juice, not the darn bottle or box.

I noticed batch variation with Creed for the first time earlier today, sampling in Harrods. I sniffed the nozzle of a GIT tester, and it smelled completely different to what I expected. I could have been told it was an entirely different fragrance that had been accidentally packaged in a GIT bottle and I might have believed it.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I used to think the same way - I think it's more worth it, though, to work hard to find a great batch/bottle of your favorite fragrance from them. Best bet is finding a bottle from someone who bought theirs from an authorized Creed boutique and/or Neiman Marcus - You'll have the best luck with those bottles.

I had a lot of issues with SMW - I returned several bottles to discount online retailers...Eventually, I got a really great price for a bottle from someone who bought theirs from Neiman Marcus, and I've been very happy with it for years.

Creed will always occupy a prominent place in my collection irrespective of changes.

What I don't understand is all the talk about variations. Sure, Aventus has/had some, but I never see much or smell much in the way of differences for their other fragrances. Of the three I just got, one has a loose cap, but it's not too loose or anything like that, it just doesn't snap into place. I think their quality makes them worth $125 for 4 oz. That is seemingly similar to Chanel or even cheaper than some niche fragrance houses.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Creed has several fragrances that I adore. But I also become very upset with the inconsistency in batches. Creed does not seem to be bothered by the numerous criticism it receives as a result of this issue. People continue to buy, Creed continues to put out a so-so product. Given the high prices, it is not much to ask for tighter quality control. I don't blame anyone who decides to no longer purchase a Creed fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Creed has several fragrances that I adore. But I also become very upset with the inconsistency in batches. Creed does not seem to be bothered by the numerous criticism it receives as a result of this issue. People continue to buy, Creed continues to put out a so-so product. Given the high prices, it is not much to ask for tighter quality control. I don't blame anyone who decides to no longer purchase a Creed fragrance.

I have six Creeds and love them all. The batch variation thing is way overplayed here. One usually finds what one looks for and most of the people claiming to have bad batches are the perfume worlds version of the hypochondriac. The loose cap complaint is simply silly since they are for aesthetic purposes. As for the price only you can decide what something is worth to you. If you think they cost to much then don't buy them.

I own many Creed fragrances and I am quite happy with all of them. No need to be "loyal" (i.e. exclusive?) to one house - obviously you should get your favorites from each house.

If I did have to pick just one house to own fragrances from for the rest of my life, Creed would be my choice without a second thought.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    But on the other side of the coin....

There are PLENTY of people that have never had any significant issues with "batch variations" and are quite happy with Creed; the majority, in all probability.

IMO, the whole issue seems much more problematic than it really is because we are reading what a few have to say on Basenotes, so reality tends to get skewed. We need to keep in mind that most people DON'T read Basenotes and aren't even aware of any problems with scent inconsistencies when it comes to Creed. Basenotes tends to make the problem seem greater than it really is.

Also, if one DOES notice a problem with a certain Creed, return it and get your money back. Nobody is forced to keep a bad cologne if it is defective.
    And on the other other side of the coin, most people buying luxury for the sake of luxury may neither know nor care about small issues with their fragrance, so that leaves a large segment of their market out of the discussion. Also, the entire segment that's just getting it for the "chicks" wouldn't know a batch variation from a hole in there ass, so they're out. Even amongst the people who are interested in the fragrances as a pleasing art form, many may not have the olfactory sensitivities to notice any problems with Creed.

Then we have the aficionados who can smell each reformulation in every other house as well, but Creed occupies a special place in their hate because there is almost no unifying features that can help you identify one batch to the next. When Guerlain reformulates something both the bottle and box change, even if only slightly, and the entire community can quickly put the pieces together and know what's going on. Creed has no such markers, so you basically HAVE to go to the store and smell the tester, THEN you have to hope they're selling bottles with the same batch number. And, of course, the fragrance may change with each and every batch instead of only when the fragrance is officially reformulated.

Anyway, I can understand why a genuine fragrance maniac may avoid Creed

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    Whereas, when I run out of my current bottle of GIT, I might get a bad one on the next purchase.
    Well, GIT shouldn't smell too different from batch to batch--in theory, anyway: it's composed largely of synthetic materials. But, to answer your question regarding your fidelity with Creed, you are absolutely justified in your concern, especially when you are paying Creed prices.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    Whereas, when I run out of my current bottle of GIT, I might get a bad one on the next purchase.
    Well, GIT shouldn't smell too different from batch to batch--in theory, anyway: it's composed largely of synthetic materials. But, to answer your question regarding your fidelity with Creed, you are absolutely justified in your concern, especially when you are paying Creed prices.

At their best, I think Creeds are well worth the price. I would love to find scents I enjoy as much as GIT, MI, and VIW, but can't. They are worth every penny.

But yes, the batch variations are troubling. They are a reality for all three of those scents (and others), and have kept me from owning bottles of each at various times when I became fed up with hunting for an acceptable batch -- especially MI, which to me has the greatest variations.

I've told myself I wasn't buying any more Creeds two or three times, but always come back. Right now I think VIW is just about my favorite scent in the world, though I vacillate between Chanel Eau de Cologne and VIW.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I've bought and given away Creed fragrances in the past. Worn some for a reasonable amount of time. I currently have one 8.4 ounce bottle which I'm really loving, and I might pick up another bottle in this size of something else one of these days. I've never lost sleep or worried much about Creed's various issues. They're not the only house that has issues.

True they charge a premium but they're no worse than many other lines or houses out there. Try some fragrances from D&G's velvet line, YSL's La Collection, or VC&A's exclusives. Very pricey. Very mediocre. Or look at the concentrations of some Annick Goutal EDTs; these are not much more than colognes, and timid colognes at that. L'Artisan sometimes has the same problem with utterly mediocre longevity and they're even more expensive, or consider the way Montale fragrances can make absolutely no effort via their name and or advertised notes to give an accurate picture of what you will be getting, even in the most general sense.

I've been bitten in the ass by all of those problems above. Worst of all is paying Creed money and more for a Guerlain parfum that smells like toilet cleaner, or for a vintage fragrance that has turned.

Pretty much every house has its problems. Even Chanel who I can agree tend to stick to a very high quality level and put a lot of effort into reformulations when they're required, and don't tend to mess with things otherwise, have an issue in that their range is very limited and new fragrances come out very rarely. Thus when something like Bleu comes out, jumping on the boring aquatic bandwagon twenty years too late, it's a huge dissapointment.

Issues

Creeds - batches vary like playing the lottery but awesome sprayer lol
    Dior - reformulation up the ass, but if your not too anal bout it then no worries
    Bond no. 9 - bottle uses cheap stickers and awful sprayer but IMHO the best all round niche frag house, got a little of everythi
    Guerlain - hard to get your hands on them here in the USA but if you know someone its not that hard

Examples of some of the issues with the big name houses but of them I worry about Creed the most. I i don't want to throw down heavy price just to get a batch I dont find satisfactory.

- - - Updated - - -

On that note though, I find Creed as one of my favorite houses out there so its a double edge sword.