Code of Conduct

Default Terre D'hermes vs. Montale Red Vetiver

I'm getting one of these but haven't made up my mind yet. I find they smell basically the same, so in that regard I don't care which one I get. That leaves projection, sillage and longevity as the determining factors for me.

I feel I must add a little explanation to that. I want the one that projects strong for the longest time. This means longevity in itself means nothing to me... Some scents with great "longevity" are still there after 16 hours or more but that often means you can only still smell them when you put your nose to your skin. That kind of "longevity" is worthless to me! Sure the smell is still there, but it isn't noticeable to others around you (unless they constantly put their nose one inch from your skin...) I want good projection for a long time.

With this in mind, which one would you recommend?
    Last edited by Die Hard; 13th December 2012 at 03:06 PM.

Default Re: Terre D'hermes vs. Montale Red Vetiver

Montale

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetiver!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Red Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetyver

Post Thanks / Like

Red vetyver...no contest

Well, seems there's not much question about which I should get

Thanks for helping me out, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

My first bottle of Terre was stronger and longer lasting than Red Vetiver, then I bought a second bottle a few months ago and it was quite weaker, so I swapped it and stuck with my Red Vetiver.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps your first bottle of TDH was from before the reformulation?

One other thing: When I created this thread, I was kinda assuming people would take into account that there's an EDT as well as an EDP version of Terre D'Hermes. So when people recommend Red Vetiver, I assume they recommend it over BOTH versions of TDH. Am I correct, guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetyver!!! Over Edt and Edp. I have all three. I wear the TdH when I go to work or just lounging. But if I really want to smell good and have that great hard core dirty vetiver vibe I rock Red Vetyver.

And its versatile like Tdh but it projects and last longer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Montale.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya!
    Love both, the Td'H EDT & EDP with a base of a Certified Organic unscented Argan oil (I know: Black Forest cake with Crème Fraiche, and Herbal Tea with sweet n low, honey!). Montale Red Vetiver with nothing! OK, clothing, maybe!
    Main difference? EXCELLENT QUALITY INGREDIENTS.
    BTW- Montale is 'running on empty' in places. Quality control is a big issue. Packaging, sample vial lettering, and stock is uneven in (blank). He seems to have a lassaiz-faire attitude. Imagine not identifying vials with the frag name? I have a few vials which I must use my 'nose for notes' to ferret out the frag which matches the sample card. I can only afford samples with most niche brands.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes EDP 100%

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I own and use both. Rv is better for you. It's longevity is definitely longer than terre on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    Perhaps your first bottle of TDH was from before the reformulation?

WHOA! WHAT? Reformulation?

Can you prove this?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used 4 different bottles of Terre. 50ml/100ml/200ml and 100ml Limited Edition. I simply say that, especially limited edition and other's smell/longevitiy and projection are not same.

It's limited edition ok. But there are still little differences between original bottles imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, RV and TdH were reformulated and there is talk that they are watered down.

So, lets assume new bottles of these juices. Longevity goes to RV, TdH Edt, or TdH pure Parfum? And how about projection? I am thinking one of these for spring and summer this year and if the newer versions are true, then if the longevity is about the same, Id go with RV over TdH Edt

Post Thanks / Like

Who said Red Vetyver was reformulated? ??

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    Who said Red Vetyver was reformulated? ??

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

My bad on the term reformulation. Meant to say that there is some discussion that RV does not last as long as it used to, and that the bottles that were bought before the deal with the internal situation were definitely longer lasting and had projection during that longer lasting phase than some recent bottles that have been obtained. Scent still smells the same coming out and for a few hours, but it is not consistently strong in the afternoon out of the new bottles as it was with the older stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Unless the red vetiver decant I purchased some time ago contained Terre, there are basically no differences between the two as far as I am concerned. Maybe I got cheated? Whew knows...
    I trade decants. PM.

The current formulation of Red Vetiver is just Iso E super and some citrus, no where as good as the Vendome bottle I have. I still find my 2009 special edition TDH bottle the best , in terms of complexity and depth but its not as long lasting.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this explains why the newer bottle felt like it did not project after 2 or 3 hours. Guess will have to go smell one of the TdH's.

Wonder if Atelier Cologne has something with grapefruit.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetiver is heavier. Montales use of elemi gives it a rich balsmic feel which makes it wearable in cold weather. IMO it's more versatile than tdh

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes was a very potent perfume when it first came out. It was reformulated after a few years.

Montale reformulated/watered down a lot (maybe all? i only know what i've tested) of their line. Red Vetiver now smells exactly like vinramani09 described. Since 2012 already. It did smell close to TDH originally though.

So my answer is for the longest projecting juice is still TDH Parfum.

I am totally satisfied with my bottle of TdH EDT which I purchased last year and was produced in June of '12 according to the batch numbers. It's not a projection beast, but it does project and I've received numerous compliments wearing it. I was very concerned about it's strength, as I read about it's reformulation after ordering it and prior to receiving it. I even contacted some of the experienced guys on this board to see what they thought; consensus was not to worry about it, but was still thinking I'd have to send it back as I might of "missed the boat." My fears were totally unfounded. I then started worrying about the upcoming escalation of the IFRA restrictions and thought about getting a "back up" bottle of Terre or perhaps purchasing RV. Low and behold, suddenly people are talking about the inconsistency and problems with Montale as a brand; many saying recent bottles from Montale were "watered down." Long story short, I bought another bottle of TdH EDT and squirreled it away. Terre d'Hermes is my favorite fragrance, period. If I had the original and it was as strong as people say, I'd probably use less. I think it's the perfect, all around fragrance. Having said all this, if I was absolutely confident the Red Vetiver would live up to it's reputation, I'd probably consider purchasing a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Who carries best deal on TdH ext in 100 ml or larger?

I purchased mine through Fragrancenet.com and my back up from Perfume1 on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that the the TdH EDP is more similar to Red Vetyver. Between the two, I like the Montale better.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, any concensus on which one lasts longer and projects more, the newer versions of the Td'H EdT or the Montale Red Vetyver. Something is telling me that even though there is talk about the strength of RV being diluted or not what it was of say 4 years ago or so, it is still more 'potent' than the TdH Eau de Toilette. Sound about right?

Red Vetyver

Haven't tried the Red Vetyver that's out there lately, but the one I have which is the old one has always given me better longevity than the TdH EDT. The question is whether one feels or not that's what now out there (the Montale) is watered down or not. Even if one feels it is, my guess is that it still would be a bit more potent.

(3563)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I prefer Red Vetyver. To me its smoother and a richer smell.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I like Red Vetyver a little better. However, I am worried about the recent talk of it being weaker. Anyone know where new "old" bottles are still being sold?

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetyer easily the best longevity and scent to me.

Nowadays, I'd choose Red Vetyver. TDH has lost its magic in reform.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrancenet appears to be out of Red Vetyver. Any idea if this is temporary? And where else would there be a good deal on the RV? My purchase of APOM pour Homme at a steal fell through and they refunded my paypal so now I would like to go ahead and get RV.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take Anat Fritz Tzora over both of these two any day.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I think this explains why the newer bottle felt like it did not project after 2 or 3 hours. Guess will have to go smell one of the TdH's.

Wonder if Atelier Cologne has something with grapefruit.
    Not grapefruit, but Atelier's new Cedrat Enivrant may be worth a smell. I liked it on a strip.

It's very Summery, with lime and citrus accords, and Vetiver in the heart. Probably not as all-season as TdH or RV though.

Post Thanks / Like

Any deals around on RV?

Red vetiver

I am not a fan terredhermes - it is like the most generic jce fragrance I smelled; get red vetiver better in all criterias you are looking for

I wonder if there is an Atmeh version of Red Vetiver .

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my ignorance, what is an 'Atmeh version'?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have the same question.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a Terre d'hermes body lotion or something to help extend the scent. If you use the soap then apply some unscented moisturizer you lose the scent from the soap. Only thing I've seen is after shave lotion but can that be applied to the entire body????

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I have the same question.

He is the gentleman and former co-owner that split from Pierre Durrani from the Paris based Montale to market his own parallel Montale Middle East releases from the UAE. If there is a "Attmeh Red Vetyver" it would probably be sold under the house name of Tanelli.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Red Vetyer easily the best longevity and scent to me.
    there was an old Huddler thread about RV and other Montales feeling like they are watered down or dont last as long/project. Any newer purchasers of this care to comment?

Post Thanks / Like

My latest purchases seem fine. There are some longevity bombs like Red aoud,sod,blue amber, choco greedy or aoud velvet that i've bought recently and perform as good as ever. Others like intense café, Red vetiver or royal oud have average performance (imo), just as they always had.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    there was an old Huddler thread about RV and other Montales feeling like they are watered down or dont last as long/project. Any newer purchasers of this care to comment?
    Your better off purchasing TDH parfum which is far better than Montale Red Vetiver, especially the current formulation.
    The one sold at Vendome few years ago was really good, I finished my bottle and later bought the parfum of TDH.
    Montale's red vetiver is pretty much ISO-e super and cedar , no where near the depth of TDH parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    He is the gentleman and former co-owner that split from Pierre Durrani from the Paris based Montale to market his own parallel Montale Middle East releases from the UAE. If there is a "Attmeh Red Vetyver" it would probably be sold under the house name of Tanelli.
    No Hednic , Tanelli is also owned by Durrani lol ( I know its confusing).
    Atmeh Red Vetiver if it exists would be the "Montale International Design" one.