4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Default Re: Opinions on Ava luxe

Haven't tried Cafe Noir but I LOVE many Ava Luxe scents. First, I'd suggest looking at The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance; I know one of them has AL samples. Otherwise, they are very hard to sample unless a fellow fumee is able to share. My bottle orders from the website have always arrived with extra samples, though.

I can tell you this line is worth exploring. Ingredient quality is high and the perfumer ( Serena Ava Franco) is incredibly talented, with a distinct style. Very impressive, especially considering she is still young. I really never suggest blind buying but have to admit I've bought a few ALs blind myself. Always been happy. But do see if you can sample first!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Haven't tried Cafe Noir but I LOVE many Ava Luxe scents. First, I'd suggest looking at The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance; I know one of them has AL samples. Otherwise, they are very hard to sample unless a fellow fumee is able to share. My bottle orders from the website have always arrived with extra samples, though.

I can tell you this line is worth exploring. Ingredient quality is high and the perfumer ( Serena Ava Franco) is incredibly talented, with a distinct style. Very impressive, especially considering she is still young. I really never suggest blind buying but have to admit I've bought a few ALs blind myself. Always been happy. But do see if you can sample first!
    i think im going to have to blind buy......... i dont mind i dont think ill be dissapointed... what would you recomend
    Eau de parfum
    Perfume oil
    Parfum extrait
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

I'm addicted to her extraits! But they do wear a bit closer than the oils. Her oils do tend to project more, at least on this skin. Both forms have wonderful sillage, they really trail after their wearer. I would save an EDP purchase for later; they are quite a lot more expensive as the bottles are much larger. I haven't tried any of the scents in EDP but now that I have found a few loves in this line, I do want to order an EDP in one of them so I can compare. I'd say extrait or oil for now; while not inexpensive (for those tiny bottles! But they do last a long time) they are far more luxurious than their prices would indicate. Good luck- I want to hear about this scent when it arrives!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 1st October 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Dependent

I'm addicted to her extraits! But they do wear a bit closer than the oils. Her oils do tend to project more, at least on this skin. Both forms have wonderful sillage, they really trail after their wearer. I would save an EDP purchase for later; they are quite a lot more expensive as the bottles are much larger. I haven't tried any of the scents in EDP but now that I have found a few loves in this line, I do want to order an EDP in one of them so I can compare. I'd say extrait or oil for now; while not inexpensive (for those tiny bottles! But they do last a long time) they are far more luxurious than their prices would indicate. Good luck- I want to hear about this scent when it arrives
    oil it is! thank you so much! ill definetly let you know and if i love it or hate it ill send you a sample so you can try for yourself
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    any you try this stuff? thinking of blind buying cafe noir
    I thought you'd sworn off blind buys, calilove!! Oh the temptations!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    I thought you'd sworn off blind buys, calilove!! Oh the temptations!
    you caught me!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

That is so sweet of you, calilove! Would love to try CN; I know it gets quite a bit of love from some of our BNers. Will send you some goodies in return!

I guess I'm Enabler of the Day! Wow, I was no help to your no blind buy resolution!

PerfumedLady, which of their scents are your favorites? I'm very interested in trying Midnight Violet & wonder what others I should investigate!!

Dependent

That is so sweet of you, calilove! Would love to try CN; I know it gets quite a bit of love from some of our BNers. Will send you some goodies in return!
    awsome! ill let you know when i get it! im so excited!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

I'm excited, too, calilove! I hope I haven't steered you wrong!

Aww, Genie Jeanie, Midnight Violet is long discontinued! I never got to try it, sounds like it was a masterpiece. Very hard to track down even a sample; Serena has a good sized cult following and MV was a favorite.

Some that I do know and think are great:
    Bakir- this one is odd, maybe an aquired taste for some. Green, rosy, chyprish woody oriental. Very retro femme fatale. One of her masterpieces, IMO.

Ambra Tibet- a vanilla oriental but a dry one. Not sweet, just warm and cozy. Lightly spicy and definitely unisex. A very simple list of notes but what a blend!

Bohemian Rose- traditional grand perfume style, feels like it could be a classic. Every type of rosiness is represented here from soapy, delicate, citrusy to deep, dark and opulent. A gorgeous rose bouquet over a plush but again dry ambery base.

Pivoine Rose- translates to Pink Peony and it is very realistic but also incorporates green, outdoors-y notes to add complexity. A very happy scent!

Oppopanax Intense- just what it sounds like, a thick veil of pipe tobacco-y goodness! Also easily worn by either gender.

And for those who do love a good sweet, syrupy amber, Ambre Fonce is an excellent example of the style. Layers well with other AL scents, had a lot of fun experimenting with my sample.

Dependent

PerfumedLady knows all!!!!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Oh, boy, PerfumedLady knows not nearly all! But if you want to tell that to Mr. PL, that would be great!

calilove, meant to tell you it may take a couple of weeks for your bottle to arritve. As I understand it, this is a completely DIY operation, with Ms. Franco as not only perfumer but also bottler, packager and shipper. Sounds like she runs her company from the top down, therefore orders do take a bit of time to complete. I don't mind this, think it's very cool- but I'm always sooo anxious while waiting!

Dependent

yea i can see that haha ive been waiting for the tracking number an nothing yet. hopefully it gets here by the time i get 30 roses evelyn rose sample pass so i can send everything all at once i just wanna smell already!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

My opinion: some of her blends are just plain diluted fragrance oils, like the kind one can buy to scent soaps and candles by the pound for a few $. I was very disappointed to find that out when sharing some samples of her 'perfumes' with a soaper in the US that in return send me several samples of soaping FO's, which were an exact match to her 'fragrances'. Especially the single notes like skin musk, water lily etc.
    I was appalled by the lack of creativity and felt really ripped off (this happened to me a lot especially with etsy US-based 'perfumers'). Please note this is just my personal opinion and experience.

p.s. this was at least 4 years ago so maybe some things changed.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

yea i can see that haha ive been waiting for the tracking number an nothing yet. hopefully it gets here by the time i get 30 roses evelyn rose sample pass so i can send everything all at once i just wanna smell already!!!!
    You'll get an e-mail when your package has shipped. They are delivered by USPS. Don't think you'll have a tracking number but she does use priority mail, if I remember right. And yes, wait to mail everything together! The timing will be close, just hang onto the C & E a few days if need be.

Yes, Irina I think a lot has changed in that time! She has her own site now, hasn't been on Etsy since before I discovered the line. Apparently she's growing, too- international shipping has recently been added. I haven't tried many of the single note scents, though- they just aren't my thing. But I do love a lot of her orientals and complex florals. Of course, you may still feel the same if you were to try them now, especially after that rotten swapping experience!

Yes, Irina I think a lot has changed in that time! She has her own site now, hasn't been on Etsy since before I discovered the line. Apparently she's growing, too- international shipping has recently been added. I haven't tried many of the single note scents, though- they just aren't my thing. But I do love a lot of her orientals and complex florals. Of course, you may still feel the same if you were to try them now, especially after that rotten swapping experience!
    For your sakes, I hope so The swap was fine, it was actually that lovely lady that kindly opened my eyes by sending me samples of the fragrance oils to let me smell that there was no difference between the ava luxe 'perfumes' and the diluted fragrance oils.

If she does ship internationally to Europe, does that mean that her fragrances comply with the EU law? As I don't see any of the mandatory labeling of perfume allergens on her website, nor any mention of doing a safety assessment for all her fragrances. Looking at her prices, I very much doubt she is in compliance. With all my allergies I can't take the risk to be a guinea pig of rogue cosmetics.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

Dependent

have hope irina!! i just blind bought the stuff!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Dependent

ordered it oct1. i messaged them yesterday an now they decided to send! very sad
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

No, not sad, as I said before, it does take a couple weeks. These perfumes are not just sitting in a warehouse, I think they are usually freshly blended when they arrive. It will be there soon!

Dependent

i just want to smell!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

got it saturday i do need help on how do apply..... since there is no sprayer how do i do it the correct way i was confused an just dripped some on my wrist say that it wasnt drying an even though ive heard many times not to rub i did i didnt want it to rubb off on clothing or something
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

i just want to smell!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

got it saturday i do need help on how do apply..... since there is no sprayer how do i do it the correct way i was confused an just dripped some on my wrist say that it wasnt drying an even though ive heard many times not to rub i did i didnt want it to rubb off on clothing or something
    That not rubbing thing is a myth!!! You're fine.

When I use splash type bottles I tip the bottle on my (clean) thumb and apply to pulse points that way.

I was looking at trying some Ava Luxe perfumes...can anyone confirm the 'perfume oils' thing? (If that's the case, I know a lady who is very cool and has quite an extensive list of perfume oil scents that I order hair care products from and I'll just get some from her. )