Code of Conduct

Default What's up with the Depeche Mode and fragrance commercials?

Was watching some tv today and saw 2 fragrances commercials. The first one was a commercial for Acqua di Gio. It has Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus playing in the background. Looks like the Cool Water commercial. Then later on there's a woman's Gucci commercial with Strange Love (not sung by Depeche Mode) playing in the background.

Here's the Gucci commercial.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to the Acqua di Gio since for some reason Basenotes won't let me post 2 video's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_MFWcA280

Default Re: What's up with the Depeche Mode and fragrance commercials?

Because they have a huge music library (12 albums) and they are still very popular around the world?

I have also heard some of their music being used in movie trailers over the past few years.

Fave use of music in frag commercial was Muse's Exogenesis for Dior Homme ad. Very appropriate.

Well, for once those people showed good taste

The Gucci ad is a cover. A bad one, in fact. I'm surprised they didn't use a remix of the original.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Not to thread jack, but the Dior J'adore commercial with Charlize Theron and music by The Gossip has got itself temporarily etched into my brain.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Dior is using Depeche Mode in there latest Lady Dior fashion commercial at Versailles which I love. There is a long version a at Versailles as well.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I work in advertising, and I can put together a whole playlist of songs used in fragrance commercials.

Some of my favorite song choices in fragrance ads are:

• Textuell by Oval (previous song for Acqua di Gio)
    • Do it Again by The Chemical Brothers (1 Million)
    • L-O-V-E (cover) by Joss Stone (Coco Mademoiselle)
    • Casta Diva (Le Male's signature song for over a decade)
    • 3éme sexe (cover) by Miss Kittin (Ma Dame)
    • Boys & Girls by Martin Solveig (Ma Dame; used after 3éme sexe)
    • Adiemus by Karl Jenkins (Mugler Cologne; originally commissioned for Delta Air Lines)
    • Gold Lion by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (YSL Elle; later reused in an iPad commercial)
    • Act I, Scene 2 of Romeo & Juliet by Prokofiev (Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste)
    • She Said Yeah by The Rolling Stones (Bleu de Chanel)
    • The Windmills Of Your Mind (cover) by Eva Mendes (Angel)
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Dior is using Depeche Mode in there latest Lady Dior fashion commercial at Versailles which I love. There is a long version a at Versailles as well.
    Wish Charlize was in this one. I could watch her read a phone book, even if Depeche Mode music was playing in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Because they have a huge music library (12 albums) and they are still very popular around the world?
    Makes sense.

I guess they/their music is somewhat sexy, drugged up, cool, arrogant, artificial, fashionable, polished, provocative, catchy and suitable for selling fashion/fragrances, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Makes sense.
    And also because their songs are commercial-friendly.

Case in point: As much as I love them, you won't find a lot of My Chemical Romance in TV ads because (with the exception of some songs on Danger Days) they tend to go dark with their music. Dark music like My Chem has not traditionally been TV-friendly, and you could say the same about similar bands like Avenged Sevenfold and The Used. A&E did use My Chem's "Mama" once to advertise Sopranos reruns, but I bet the initial letter called for dark music. Other than that and Rhapsody's use of "Na Na Na" to promote their music streaming service, I don't think My Chem has been heavily used in US TV ads.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Seems like a pretty easy answer to me: the coke and the hookers don't pay for themselves. They sold out. They really haven't been relevant since Violator was released, so it makes sense they'd make money wherever they can at this point.

And, Martin just got divorced. He's got alimony and child support. You know that shit ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    Seems like a pretty easy answer to me: the coke and the hookers don't pay for themselves. They sold out. They really haven't been relevant since Violator was released, so it makes sense they'd make money wherever they can at this point.

And, Martin just got divorced. He's got alimony and child support. You know that shit ain't cheap.
    Yeah that'll do it. I guess up next is a JPG Le Male commercial with Master and Servant playing in the background.

They really haven't been relevant since Violator was released
    I couldn't disagree more. Playing the Angel was successful amongst almost all DM fans, and the tour they set for the album was a sell-out. I know it's semantics at this point, but Dave has always had a relationship with fashion. I remember when he used to do adverts for Club Monaco.

As long as they DON'T use my two favourite songs, 'sokay.
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. TL View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Playing the Angel was successful amongst almost all DM fans, and the tour they set for the album was a sell-out. I know it's semantics at this point, but Dave has always had a relationship with fashion. I remember when he used to do adverts for Club Monaco.
    I'm not sure how well DM sets with the younger crowd, but getting their music for the masses (sorry I couldn't help my myself) out there is always good.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. And you are utterly incorrect about Depeche Mode's "relevance."

Depeche Mode is my favorite group. I have seen them live over 20 times since 1983. I can personally attest that every one of those shows was sold out, most weeks or months in advance. If anything, their popularity is greater now than ever, with a crowd whose ages range from teens to people in their 50s.

And you don't have to take my word for it. "Relevance" is not measured solely by music sales, but sales are a good indication of whether a band's music resonates with the current crop of purchasers. If you were right, Depeche Mode's current releases would be languishing, and their remaining fans pining for the older days. But wait! The fact is that since Violator (inarguably their most popular album), every single Depeche Mode release has sold well. To focus just on UK, US, and EU sales:

Songs of Faith and Devotion: Gold UK, Platinum US
    Ultra: Gold UK, Gold US, Platinum EU
    Exciter: Gold US, Platinum EU
    Playing the Angel: Gold UK, Platinum EU

And their most recent record? Sounds of the Universe reached number 2 UK, number 3 US, and number 1 in sales in a host of European countries. And since Violator, nearly every Depeche Mode album has spawned a number one US dance single, or a number one single in multiple EU countries.

Look, I know Depeche Mode isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for a lot of people they've made consistently pleasing music for about 30 years. And because of that, it isn't surprising that the group's music is now being used as background for a lot of commercials. I smile when I hear a Depeche Mode song in the background of an ad.

And in this era of corporate sponsorship, auto-tune, lipsynching, elevation of shock-over-substance, and other methods of generating music as nothing more than another commercial product, I don't think the phrase "sold out" has much meaning any more. But that is a topic for another forum.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

lolz, I'm afraid relevance is a relative term, when discussing pop music.

No joke, as I'm typing this, the commercial for Bleu just came on TV.

Hope the fragrance houses at least payed royalties/fees etc. to Depeche Mode

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

My guess is the ad director who grew up in the 80s found his old mixed cassette tapes while cleaning out the attic.

Btw Strange Love is awesome. Too bad the Gucci fragrance isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    As long as they DON'T use my two favourite songs, 'sokay.
    I'd be happy for them to use It's No Good for a Pure Malt ad, to be honest.

They really haven't been relevant since Violator was released, so it makes sense they'd make money wherever they can at this point.
    Correction: Ultra was their last decent release.

Why are we talking music here?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Why are we talking music here?
    Seems like a relevant topic to me, as it relates to "male fragrance".

Perhaps you would prefer another "how many sprays of X or Y fragrance do you use" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Hope the fragrance houses at least payed royalties/fees etc. to Depeche Mode
    Agree that DP is a standout band. The music is catchy, hence the use in advertising. The electronic sounds stick in the minds of the listeners. Just what the marketers want.

Ken, I am sure that some sort of licensing was involved. Many bands allow commercial use of their music. That way TWO commodities can be featured in one ad! Even Sting did this, if I recall, to market for a car company.

I actually like use of the song "Love" by Kazaky in the ad for Spicebomb. I was expecting the model in ad to be wearing those high heels when I first saw it! They are also fronting the fashion lines of Anouki Bicholla and DSquared.

Catchy songs sell products.

Last edited by Primrose; 14th December 2012 at 03:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.