Code of Conduct

Default Neewbie Need Some Advice

I purchased some new cologne today. The salesman said to apply it on the wrists, and torso and do not ever rub it into or around your skin.

I'm totally new to this. My inclination was to apply it to my neck and then rub it around.

So I am asking what's the best way to apply?

Thanks,

Dave

Default Re: Neewbie Need Some Advice

1 to the chest 2 to the neck/behind the ears.

Application is subject to change and varies depending on fragrance.

treeman5823

It really doesn't matter where you apply fragrances. Here are some general rules, though:

1.) Don't rub fragrances into your skin--doing so creates friction and thus heat, which excessively evaporates your fragrance.

2.) You can apply a fragrance anywhere. Keep in mind, however, that your pulse points are warmer than the rest if your body and will therefore project your fragrance farther.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Rubbing is not recommended also because you can irritate the skin. Basically, you're rubbing alcohol into the skin, not a good idea.

As to where to apply, as others have said, it's a matter of preference. The warmer the body part, the more you will project and the less the scent will last. Also, applying to body parts that are not covered by clothes will, as expected, result in stronger projection. So it's a matter of taste. i don't apply to the neck because it's too close to the face, and it would be too strong for my nose (and remember that strong smells create olfactory fatigue, that is, the nose cancels out and doesn't perceive, but the smell is there); but it's a matter of preference. I spray under the clothes because I don't want to project too much.

The wrist is a popular area to apply scents, but I've read some perfumer say that it is a bad one for many reasons (though I don't remember what these are). It seems somewhat of a waste anyway as throughout the day one cleans hands etc. And again, you will bring your hands to your face quite often, disturbing the nose.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    The same as what I do.

I always do 2 to the neck, 1 to the chest minimum. Do not rub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me it depends on the fragrance as to how many sprays I give myself, but I used to be a rubber and found it to be wrong.
    I do spray my arms because they are always moving and spreading my scent, then my chest and around my neck.
    I have dry skin and a lot of times my skin will eat up an EDT frag and I will spray a little on my shirt and in my hair.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

I spray one to the chest, and two to each side of the neck. Sometimes, I'll do inside of one elbow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    I as well...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a rubber, not with fragrance though.

I find it changes based on the fragrance. With Aventus I find I spray it onto my neck and my shirt collar, because the scent doesn't last very long on me. But with Chanel Bleu or JPG Fleur du Male, I usually go for a couple of sprays on my neck and that's it. Maybe one on the back of my hand if I want to have a sniff during the day.