Code of Conduct

Default What, to you, makes GIT so special?

I'll preface this thread by saying my GIT comes in tomorrow and I am so darn excited!

Anyway, in your opinions, what makes GIT so special? For me, it's probably how well it will fit into my wardrobe. Right now the only fresh scent I would have outside of my new purchases (MI, Himalaya, GIT) is Neroli Portofino. I have a lot of gourmands and spicy scents since I really started collecting in September, but I bought GIT because I love the fragrance as well. It's also very classy and versatile, which is not something I can say about other things in my wardrobe.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Default Re: What, to you, makes GIT so special?

Simply like everything about it.

Simple and elegant, can be worn anywhere, anytime. Got longevity and projection. Classic smell.

It's not, IMO, unless you compare ingredient quality with similar frags that sell for a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It's not, IMO, unless you compare ingredient quality with similar frags that sell for a lot less.
    And here we go. I should have asked people to avoid the inevitable Cool Water and others clones discussion. You don't have to love it to participate in the thread for sure, but you could offer your opinion as to why you dislike it or don't find it special. Nothing smells just like it.

Basenotes Plus

I have experienced nothing quite like GIT before. Quite unique IMO and very, very nice.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    And here we go. I should have asked people to avoid the inevitable Cool Water and others clones discussion. You don't have to love it to participate in the thread for sure, but you could offer your opinion as to why you dislike it or don't find it special. Nothing smells just like it.
    First of all, I like GIT. Secondly, I said "unless," and here it is clear that I mean if you don't care about ingredient quality then you can buy something cheaper (though not CW, which is quite different, just read the list of notes). However, ingredient quality does make a frag special to me if there is nothing similar with decent quality ingredients. Bobby Jones Cologne isn't bad, but isn't so similar that one can't have both, IMO. I found a very old bottle of Tahoe for Men by Prince Matchabelli, and was surprised that it was very close to GIT except that it began with different citrus (almost like the rind was present) and it lasted a long time. It seems to have a bit of spice too, but in any case that one is very good quality and is very close, though as I said the opening is different enough so that many might not wait around for the key accord to emerge before pronouncing judgement. Let people have their say, but ask them to explain why they think what they do !

First of all, I like GIT. Secondly, I said "unless," and here it is clear that I mean if you don't care about ingredient quality then you can buy something cheaper (though not CW, which is quite different, just read the list of notes). However, ingredient quality does make a frag special to me if there is nothing similar with decent quality ingredients. Bobby Jones Cologne isn't bad, but isn't so similar that one can't have both, IMO. I found a very old bottle of Tahoe for Men by Prince Matchabelli, and was surprised that it was very close to GIT except that it began with different citrus (almost like the rind was present) and it lasted a long time. It seems to have a bit of spice too, but in any case that one is very good quality and is very close, though as I said the opening is different enough so that many might not wait around for the key accord to emerge before pronouncing judgement. Let people have their say, but ask them to explain why they think what they do !
    Yeah, exactly. I'm always fine with threads where people have differing opinions if they at least explain why and not just throw out words for the sake of it. Thanks for your input. For me, quality of ingredients is kind of a big deal. A fragrance can smell nice, but if it has really nice ingredients, I will notice it more. Kind of like MI and that melon note.

It definitely smells nice but it is kind of boring to me.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

This.

I love everything about it. One of the best openings in fragrance and the dry down is even better. Also it's versatility. Can be worn at any time for any occasion. Has some hater's but that comes with the territory. Numbers don't lie and on this site it's the King.

It's special to me, because the scent of GIT was my first great fragrance love and it was my first niche purchase. Opening the box to see that classy all black bottle and basking in the magnificent opening of that first spray was definitely memorable. It simply just made me feel good...uplifted and happy. Even after progressing into fragrances, and many niche purchases later, I still regard GIT as a timeless classic that I always want to have in my collection.

To me, it's a versatile, easy to like, easy to wear, classy fragrance of unmistakeable quality. Are there other fragrances that smell somewhat similar or have the same "vibe", sure...that can be said for many great frags. Yet, to me, GIT still easily rises above them all and I will always regard it as a masterful piece of perfumery and art.

I like it very much. Mostly for the reasons others have already noted - clean and versatile. It can be worn almost anywhere and any time of the day or the year. High quality (as is typical of Creed) and nice non-overbearing, non-offensive scent.

Having said that, I wind up wearing Bond No. 9's Chez Bond a bit more often -- It has a nearly identical scent, but I get a little tea note in addition to it (which adds a little something that I like), and I get a little better longevity from it.

GIT should be (and probably is) in almost every serious fragrance collection.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

The fresh green ambiance with a dash of fruit.
    The lack of powder. This is key for me, as so many other fougeres turn to powder or soap to impart "clean" where GIT uses the quality of ingredients to do the same.
    How about how anybody at any age at any event in any climate can wear this and it seems natural?
    How about how it still doesn't seem dated, even though fmost rags released after it obviously are?

It is a "green" scent that works in almost every setting and is really quite different when worn in cold weather as opposed to warm.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

I've yet to decide how special it is, but I certainly like the fresh lemon/verbena opening as well as that slightly salty sandalwood and ambergris dry-down.

I've liked it, owned it, sold it and now I'm back to a small split of one. Might be buying it again in a large size bottle. I agree it is very versatile and the wet weather we have in the UK seems to match this fragrance perfectly.

Seems the word 'Quality' is often to be found in threads about this 'Creed' stuff. Does anyone have a link where a chap could read about the quality and sources of ingredients used by certain houses compared to others ... in order to make an informed decision?

Until today I had always just assumed perfumes were simply a concoction of chemically-produced scent molecules, alcohol, water and colouring.

Sound Scents

It is difficult to put my finger on any one specific thing, but it smells very good and has spawned numerous clones over the years (many of which have also been quite successful in the marketplace) so obviously it must be doing something right. I like it...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Simplicity, freshness, cleanliness, dynamic opening. A clean, non-offensive, fresh, masculine scent. Extremely versatile.

Basenotes Junkie

It's simplicity, but at the same time the depth to the fragrance is outstanding in my opinion.

At the same time, it's very clean smelling, extremely natural to me and way more refined than Cool Water.

I can't find any time not to wear it, the projection is good and the longevity is a steady ten hours or so.

It's pretty much on my top three list of Creeds, and I'm sure I'll always have it around in my collection. Great choice of fragrance purchase, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    ...Until today I had always just assumed perfumes were simply a concoction of chemically-produced scent molecules, alcohol, water and colouring.
    Until recently almost all frags had some naturals. Naturals don't have longevity, generally-speaking, but they can provide richness, depth, and body. I find that frags that are too synthetic lack depth. All this is based upon experience. I'm sure more than a few people have studied frags of various types more than I have, but I've certainly been no slouch over the last several years (please don't tell me not to sell myself short LOL).

Tired of Cool Water now, it really isn't that great, so perhaps time to try GIT.

I don't think it's super special, but I use it because of it's quite unique character, versatility, quality of ingredients and on my skin a decent longevity for a Creed. And the after shave balm is superb.

I not so much more expensive, yet much more complex, subtle and balanced version of Cool Water.

For me it's the sheer lushness of the notes that makes it special.

Basenotes Plus

It's one of the rare few green fragrances that give me headaches.

Great fragrance combined with quality. Done!