Code of Conduct

Default Opinions on Frapin

I recently ordered several samples from TPC, including four Frapins. I was pretty surprised that I liked all four, to varying degrees. I don't hear much about Frapin, except that it is associated with a brand of Cognac. Though there are some reviews here, the number of reviews is relatively modest for most Frapins.

Is this a respected house? Their scents don't seem widely available at discounters, though Fragrancenet has them (not scentiments or fragrancex). What are your favorite Frapins, and how's the longevity?

Humaniste seems nice -- better than D&G Pour Homme, which I think it resembles -- and I really am enjoying Speakeasy. 1270 is interesting, though perhaps too floral for me.

Thoughts about the house? Favorites?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Default Re: Opinions on Frapin

I absolutely love the house! I think that L'Humaniste and 1270 are fantastic fragrances. While I enjoyed both of them I am not quite sure if I am going to be adding these to my rotation because of their dismal longevity. I just ordered samples of Caravelle Epicee and Speakeasy. I am hoping these two do a little better in the longevity department. I think I am going to pick up a decant of 1270 again, I kind of miss it.
    Last edited by MJM_77; 14th December 2012 at 05:08 AM.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I love the house also and own the entire line.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Their scents don't seem widely available at discounters, though Fragrancenet has them (not scentiments or fragrancex).
    I don't see any Frapin on Fragrancenet.

When smelling them, 1697 and L'Humaniste were among the standouts but 1270 was the one I took home. I can't speak to the longevity of 1697 or L'Humaniste, but with 1270 I find the longevity to be sketchy at best. I requested a sample of Speakeasy from MiN NY with my recent purchase, I hope they hook it up.

They do some very good boozy frags though my favorite of the line is Caravelle Epicee.

Caravelle Epicee smells amazing, the only downside is the longetivity, which only lasts several hours. I've been debating a bottle for awhile. Definitely have to sample the rest of the line in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Caravelle Epicee smells amazing, the only downside is the longetivity, which only lasts several hours. I've been debating a bottle for awhile. Definitely have to sample the rest of the line in the near future.

My favorite from this house is 1270.

I think they whole line merits consideration.

Basenotes Member

Like 1270 and Speakeasy but the longevity is not that great on me.

Im a big fan of this line too. My favourites are 1697 and Passion Boisee. Had the opportunity to test Speakeasy, and, while pleasant, isn't FBW to me.
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Basenotes Plus

In terms of league ranking (lol) Frapin is mid-table at best; they do 'inoffensively nice' well enough. Just not particularly outstanding that you'd hanker for a bottle nor controversial enough to be talked about...much.

Wonderful but don't seem to get enough longevity for me to buy at those prices. Of these, I like 1270 the best.

I prefer Histoires de Parfum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I recently ordered several samples from TPC, including four Frapins. I was pretty surprised that I liked all four, to varying degrees. I don't hear much about Frapin, except that it is associated with a brand of Cognac. Though there are some reviews here, the number of reviews is relatively modest for most Frapins.

Is this a respected house? Their scents don't seem widely available at discounters, though Fragrancenet has them (not scentiments or fragrancex). What are your favorite Frapins, and how's the longevity?

Humaniste seems nice -- better than D&G Pour Homme, which I think it resembles -- and I really am enjoying Speakeasy. 1270 is interesting, though perhaps too floral for me.

I'm a fan of l'Humaniste, but it's more of a citrus/gin/coniferous scent, whereas D&G Pour Homme (Vintage) is citrus/spices/tobacco and smoother/better blended, IMO.

Basenotes Institution

I have only tried 1270 and 1697 both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, although I'm a sucker for a boozy, spicy masculine oriental.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mid-tier house IMO. Their scents smell quite nice (aside from 1697 which is absolutely putrid), but as others have noted they suffer from poor longevity. My favorite from the line is Caravelle Epicee.

They get boring very quickly. L'Humaniste and 1270 smell fine, but that's it. 1697 is pretty headache inducing though, there is way too much going on.

After a few wearings, I'm finding longevity pretty poor on my samples, but Speakeasy, 1270, and L'Humaniste are each interesting scents. Speakeasy is the one I would probably buy a bottle of, but right now I have so many others on my list it may be a while.

The only one I didn't like is Caravelle Epicee.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I´ve tried 1270, 1697, L´Humaniste and Caravelle Epicee. I think it´s a good house; it has its own style to create the products, wich gives them its own personality. I like the companies that tries to distinguish itself and don´t be one more of the herd.

From the Frapins I´ve tried, my favourites are 1270 and L´Humaniste.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

I like them all, except L'Humaniste (but I haven't tried Esprit de Fleurs). However, I do agree that they are too underpowered. Shame, some delicious scents.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Mid-tier house IMO. Their scents smell quite nice (aside from 1697 which is absolutely putrid), but as others have noted they suffer from poor longevity. My favorite from the line is Caravelle Epicee.

More or less sums it up for me. Caravelle Epicee is the only one i'd want to wear. Disappointing line on the whole.

Feels like a designer house, but charging niche prices. If the bottles were in the $80 or so range, I'd probably pick up a few bottles, but don't feel any are FBW at current prices
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

I really enjoy 1270. But like everyone else has said, it doesn't last. If it did, it would be one of my favorites and I would buy a bottle. Oh well, plenty of fish in the sea.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense