Code of Conduct

Default Help me evaluate this online merchant

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for this perfume - Trussardi Inside - and it seems to be out of stock everywhere, except for 2 places. I was reading a couple of earlier Basenotes threads on online retailers, but couldn't find anything on this particular vendor and was hoping someone knew something.

So, this frag is available on PerfumeEmporium.com (which I've heard ok things about - but please weigh in on that if you haven't) but it's about $14 more than the vendor on eBay. The vendor on eBay is called fragranceperfumecloseout, and is in El Monte, California. They do offer returns if dissatisfied.

I know there's a lot of fake perfume being sold on eBay, but I thought they tended to focus on the real money makers, like Chanel, etc. This frag has obviously been discontinued (since it's nowhere to be found), and I figured the worst thing that might happen is that it hasn't been stored properly and has gone off. Theyre asking $45 (incl. shipping) so its not a huge investment.

So, if anyone knows anything about either of these online merchants and could give me some advice, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!
    JJ

Default Re: Help me evaluate this online merchant

You should be fine with PerfumeEmporium.com

I doubt if Perfume Emporium would sell fakes, but double-check the availability of what you want. Many e-tailers don't keep tally of the amount of their stock on hand. PE is one of them. I also once ordered from Beauty Encounter and they sent me an e-mail saying the item was not in stock and to made another selection or request a refund!

I once ordered a fragrance from PE. I figured they would ship in about two days, and thought my order was on its way. It took more than a week for them to get back to me and tell me they were out of stock in an e-mail. No apologies. Nothing. Not even a discount couponor code for a future purchase. Just, "We don't have this in stock." Then why was it listed on the site? They did give me a prompt refund, but this is not good business practice.

I have had other success with PE and BE, but what is posted on the Web site may not be in stock.

On the other hand, e-tailers like Parfum1 have their inventory on their site next to the item, which lets you know just how low their stock might be. This is not hard to do with electronic inventory. Doing this a a great idea! (Parfum1 are also getting more and more niche brands, and often have great sales.) You can easily see if an item is in stock.

I tend to stay away from eBay unless it is exactly what I want. It's "buyers beware" to buy that way. Too many fakes out there.

I don't know anything about the other vendor.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th December 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

They are also Galaxy Perfume http://www.galaxyperfume.co.uk/

There is some discussion about them here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273803-Galaxy-perfume

Thanks so much, everyone! Thanks, Socalwoman, for the link to the thread about PE. I didn't know that about them. Think I may take my chances on eBay afterall, lol.

In any case, I so appreciate the feedback