Code of Conduct

Default A couple questions for you all

Hi everyone!

I've been a member for a while, but still am a newbie collector for the most part. I had 2 questions I was hoping you all could answer.

My first one is - there are SO many amazing fragrances I want to sample (won't make the mistake of blind buying like I did a couple years ago, lol) - and I was wondering how most people get their samples? I know about Perfumed Court and Luckyscent, but obviously it gets pricey to get too many at one time.

Is it kosher to put out a post on BN asking for samples or offering to swap samples?

My other question is I'm looking for a fragrance which appears to be discontinued (Trussardi Inside). I've found it at PerfumeEmporium.com, but also online from a vendor called fragranceperfumecloseout in Southern California. I know buying perfumes on eBay can be sketchy, but has anyone bought anything from them? Would you go the safer route and pay more for it at PerfumeEmporium, or do you think it's ok? I know a lot of scents are faked online but I thought it was mainly the high sellers like Chanel. Seems like a lesser known, discontinued fragrance wouldn't be worth faking. I understand it could be old or have gone off though. (The perfume was released in 2006, so it couldn't be THAT old.)

Anyway, any feedback anyone wants to offer on either or both questions would be so very much appreciated!

JJ

Default Re: A couple questions for you all

I got most of my samples by swapping on makeupalley.com.

I would think it safe to get Trussardi Inside from e-bay.

This sounds like a scent that would be one not really worth faking for the most part. i've been buying on ebay for a long time and have built a nice catalog of trusted sellers. I'm not familiar with this one but it I always check a sellers feedback to see if they've sold that particular item and if so was the buyer satisfied.

As for samples, bonsai has a very good suggestion.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Thanks everyone! I'm actually registered at Makeup Alley - didnt know people swapped scents over there. I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone! I'm actually registered at Makeup Alley - didnt know people swapped scents over there. I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

Samples: if you stick around and participate in most discussions, samples will find their way to your home. We have Sample Passes (three at the moment), and if you take part in several of them, it gives you a chance to try hundreds of fragrances each year. I remember a few years ago I sent you a package with a few samples to test -- sometimes we do it for new people, to encourage their passion -- and before you met up with a few other BNers in SF -- and never heard any of your impressions. It is of course all up to you, but most people -- once they were in a pass -- organize their own passes/swaps or try to reciprocate because it can't be "take" all the time, there should be some place for "give" too, IMNSHO.

Trussardi Inside is a lovely fragrance -- fresh green tuberose that dries down to woody chocolate -- and still can be found online inexpensively. I do not believe I have ever heard of attempts to release fake bottles of it: it is not THAT popular. My bottle lives in Sweden now. PerfumeEmporium is a reputable retailer.

Thank you all for your input. It's very much appreciated. I've been away from the site for a few years now (except for an occasional question here or there) due to a lot of personal upheaval in my life. So I'm kinda starting up the hobby again after a long break - and it many ways, am still a newbie.

I do appreciate the advice/feedback, and hope to have more time going forward to participate in more discussions, as well as swapping. I'm certainly happy to share what I've got (just need to buy some decanting supplies).

Thanks for the feedback on the Trussardi as well

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JitterpigJen View Post
    ...Is it kosher to put out a post on BN asking for samples or offering to swap samples?
    You qualify to post on the Basenotes Marketplace; you could put up a swap thread, or a Fragrances Wanted thread.

There's a long thread here about how to get free samples: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/206...-Companies-Now