Code of Conduct
    CologneFan85

Default Blind buy for my G/F

Currently browsing online and looking for a new perfume for my G/F, looking for input on some. Shes a Fragrance manager Saks Fith Avenue and owns most Bond No.9 and all Muglers so that's out of the question. She tends to lean towards Gourmands and has been hinting around for a new one...Input is needed thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blind buy for my G/F

Fredric Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Guerlain Samsara
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Institution

DO NOT buy blind! Get her a prettily packaged samples of Guerlain L'Art et la Materie line, she will definitely find the one she likes best. They are all Gourmand with different degree of sweetness and yumminess. Each sample will cost you $7-8, and there are about 10 of them altogehter. Then SHE will decide what she likes best and Valentine's Day is conveniently just around the corner. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny though. They are worth it. (After much deliberation, I am getting me one for Christmas, Cuir Beluga).

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    DO NOT buy blind! Get her a prettily packaged samples of Guerlain L'Art et la Materie line, she will definitely find the one she likes best. They are all Gourmand with different degree of sweetness and yumminess. Each sample will cost you $7-8, and there are about 10 of them altogehter. Then SHE will decide what she likes best and Valentine's Day is conveniently just around the corner. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny though. They are worth it. (After much deliberation, I am getting me one for Christmas, Cuir Beluga).
    I will check that out! Money isn't an issue here honestly " Long shore-man." Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Fredric Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Guerlain Samsara
    I will check these out also, thank you.

I heartily agree with Twolf's suggestion - it's such a lovely gesture to buy her a bottle of perfume, and it would be such a shame to blind buy something she ends up not liking. Sounds like she already enjoys perfume, and given her job she probably has a good idea of what's out there. She may well have an eye on something special she'd like, this might be the perfect opportunity to fulfill dream And for a perfume lover, a sample pack is ALWAYS good, so much fun to try

Remember to come back and let us know what you get her, and what she thinks of it!

Blog Entries

The limited edition Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur le Route de Madagascar sounds wonderful, & suitably exclusive!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm with Twolf and Yello Cello. Never blind buy.
    Do happy

I'll assume then that she may want to try something not sold at Saks. How about a Serge Lutens, which is famous for its baroque, spicy, gourmand scents? A hypergourmand would be Jeux de Peau, buttered toast and caramel, or Bois vanille (vanilla, sweets, cedar)?

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I did not know Guerlain sold a sample set! Where can you find this set at?
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens, I have to agree with Cacio, that one came to mind. I had a friend who was into Mugler scents and she also loved Un Bois Vanille but tastes can be different for different people.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique is all about gourmands, they have a discovery set that is 85 dollars, here is the link:

http://www.zappos.com/comptoir-sud-p...z-4-x-1oz-blue

Also the Keiko Mecheri trio sampler available at http://www.keikomecheri.com/.

Or how about the limited edition bottle from Mugler that came out recently? Angel in the Midnight Star edition. Very nice bottle that she may like:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Thierr...7&cmCat=search

Just joking around here, lol... there are these available at Saks:

The Mugler Collector Superstar, 14 oz bottle decorated with crystals:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...id=ee1KGl9l*s4

Or less expensive is this 15 oz bottle of Superstar:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...45524446183658
    Last edited by kalli; 15th December 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

CologneFan85

I am going to test some out today...Keep you updated! Thanks guys!

Basenotes Institution

Southerngardens, I had problems logging on this am, so apologies about the delay answering your question. There is NO set, you get them from the usual sample people (TPC, The Posh Peasant) one by one (therefore $7-8 each) and package them prettily yourself in a bowl/basket/bag.

CologneFan85

So she picked out Tom Ford's White Patchouli and Gucci Guilty Intense. I did not smell the Tom Ford yet, but I did smell the Gucci and it has a very nice oriental/floral opening. She wanted a non gourmand scent this time around...

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Shes a Fragrance manager Saks Fith Avenue and owns most Bond No.9 and all Muglers ...
    The Saks in Beverly Hills? Do we, I mean does she get a discount and lots of free samples?
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Basenotes Institution

None of our suggested scents seems to work, but I am glad you gave your GF a chance to pick her own.

Once again, please do not buy blind!

LOL@socal, right on!

CologneFan85

I told her about the suggested fragrances, but most didn't find. We were at Macy's in DTLA so not many options, and then hit up a small place near the jewelry district for the Tom Ford. Lol ill ask her about discounting...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'll assume then that she may want to try something not sold at Saks. How about a Serge Lutens, which is famous for its baroque, spicy, gourmand scents? A hypergourmand would be Jeux de Peau, buttered toast and caramel, or Bois vanille (vanilla, sweets, cedar)?

cacio
    Where is this sold.... Jeux de Peau? She said this is something shes highly interested in.

In Los Angeles, you can find Serge Lutens at Scent Bar on Beverly Blvd (at Martel, I believe) and at Barney's in Beverly Hills.

As previously stated, you should avoid anything they carry at Saks. I am guessing if she owns most of the Bond No. 9's, she has everything she loves from Saks.

I am sure she could find something unique that she would love at Scent Bar (the website is LuckyScent.com) as that place is niche fragrance heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    We were at Macy's in DTLA so not many options, and then hit up a small place near the jewelry district for the Tom Ford.

Would you please add the store where you got the Ford to this thread?: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177...Angeles-County
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

CologneFan85

Ill have to ask her the name, but it's near the "Ally's" About a block west of it. Ill add it as soon as she tells me. This place even sells the testers at prices by the amount left on the spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Would you please add the store where you got the Ford to this thread?: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177...Angeles-County
    Try Sassy Perfume inc, 523 s. Broadway, CA 90013 I think it was this place

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    In Los Angeles, you can find Serge Lutens at Scent Bar on Beverly Blvd (at Martel, I believe) and at Barney's in Beverly Hills.

As previously stated, you should avoid anything they carry at Saks. I am guessing if she owns most of the Bond No. 9's, she has everything she loves from Saks.

I am sure she could find something unique that she would love at Scent Bar (the website is LuckyScent.com) as that place is niche fragrance heaven.
    Yeah Bond No.9 is their main sellers