Code of Conduct

Red face New to the world of Perfume

Hello!
    I am looking for perfume recommendations. I will be going out to do a little shopping tomorrow, and I would like to know which perfumes to try. My goal is to chose a few scents for different occasions so that I can gracefully step into my 20s. I am currently 19 and my only perfume (if you can call it that) is Harajuku Lovers Lil' Angel, which is terribly girly. I am looking for something a little more mature.

The three "occasions" I would have need to fill:
    -College/close quarters/regular daytime use (something light and fresh)
    -Date (something a little sexier, but not overpowering)
    -Work (something classic and understated)

If I need to provide more detail, please let me know. Bear in mind that I know next to nothing about perfume and have little to compare to.

Thank you very much!

Default Re: New to the world of Perfume

NicoleA, welcome to basenotes. And welcome to the world of fragrance! I remember how intimidating all the options seem when you first get started, so hopefully you will get some good suggestions to narrow things down, and at least get you started. But remember, whatever YOU like is what is important

General Dept. Store -
    Go to the Chanel counter Try No. 5 Eau Premiere. It is the modern, fresher version of No. 5, and I think would fit well into any of your catagories, as it is very versalile. Try a spray of Coco, Coco Mad. and Coco Noir. If you like any of them, they could work for date. Then try Christalle and Christalle Au Vert, which is a fresh greenish option. Also try #19 Poudre, a lovely soft version of #19.
    You are just checking out what types are frags are available, so that is why I thought an established, large line like Chanel would be a good start. Many of them are classics.

Sephora
    Check out Hermes. Kelly Caleche is beautiful and versatile, a soft suede floral. Try the Jardin series, there are 4 of them, as they could be work or class.

Also try the Prada iris frags as a possible work/class option that is fresh, yet interesting.

Those are just starting points, but you might find something you like
    Last edited by cello; 14th December 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will have to check them out tomorrow

CologneFan85

Hi Nicole, welcome. I would suggest these fragrances as starters etc.. as for college and everyday use I would recommend Bond No, 9 High-line, its a very fresh and earthy fragrance with long longevity. Has notes of Bergamot, Tulips and rose. As far as dates, I would say Angel by Thierry Mugler. Its a very sexy dry down with caramel and tropical fruits. A unique blend that grabs attention from any male. As for a suttle work fragrance I would recommend YSL Babydoll. A fresh powdery vibe, with hint of rose. And most Prada's for work.

Welcome!

First off, there's nothing wrong with girly if you like it. Don't ever let anyone dictate your tastes to you. Having said that, tastes will change if you stick with this for a while. Just trust yourself.

Second, test a lot and don't expect to find the perfect fragrance(s) in one shopping trip. If you can have some patience and let the perfume dry down completely before making any decisions, you'll do better.

I'll second the Prada recommendations. The Infusion d'Iris is beautiful and very suitable for work. Also try Prada Candy as a possible date perfume, although it's good for everyday as well.

Chanels are also a good place to look: the above recommendations are great.

Also:
    Madonna's Truth or Dare is a lovely and inexpensive tuberose floral, which might be nice for dates.
    Tom Ford Violet Blonde is a sexy violet iris with a hint of suede. It could work in a variety of situations.
    Estee Lauder's Private Collection is very classy and might be good for work.
    Lolita Lempicka is pretty and quite unique, also for lots of situations.
    Bulgari Black is an interesting, not-too-sweet vanilla with a bit of rubber (don't laugh; it works)
    The Body Shop White Musk for Men is cozy and sensuous. Don't think only men can wear it.
    Thierry Mugler's Alien is like a jasmine from outer space.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but I'd start with those.

Good luck!

Welcome!

As you probably imagine, at the beginning one has to go slow - you don't know which materials or style you like. Also perfumes change over time on the skin, so you cannot smell and buy without knowing how something evolves. It takes some patience.

In any case, I second the suggestions above. For Macys/Sephora types of brands:
    Chanel: No 5 Eau premiere. a classic recipe, but fresher and more citrusy than the edt and especially than the edp, light enough for all places. The edt, the more classical recipe, is pretty light too, and will be perfect for work (I actually prefer the classical edt, because it is less sweet). Cristalle instead for a fresh green scent.
    Estee Lauder: good quality/price ratio, but on average they tend to be heavier. Still, Private collection is clean, green, and elegant, good for work but also to go out, and Knowing is a sultry rose for a night out. Aromatics Elixir (Clinique, which is owned by the same company) is also great, a resinous patchouli - but you might be scared by its power.
    Lacome: O de lancome (the classic one, not the flankers), for a refreshing citrus that becomes a little more vegetal in the drydown. Again, for light occasions.
    Mugler: Angel is great and certainly attention grabbing, but it is a big floral-candyfloss powerhouse. Go light on the spray. The recent flanker Angel cuir is also excellent, it adds some well judged leather. Lolita Lempicka (the original) ends up in the same territory, but it is a touch more manageable.
    Kenzo Flower: floral with a touch of melon, happy, not too powerful, and good for all occasions.

cacio

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes Nicole!

Some great suggestions here already, especially the Chanels & Pradas. l will add Shalimar Parfum lnitial.

l agree with cacio's advice to take it slowly at first, & don't let sales assistants talk you into a purchase before you've had time to see how it develops on your skin. Keep sniffing & reading reviews, & you'll soon begin to figure out what you like.
    Good luck, & do let us know how you get on!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    NicoleA, welcome to basenotes. And welcome to the world of fragrance! I remember how intimidating all the options seem when you first get started, so hopefully you will get some good suggestions to narrow things down, and at least get you started. But remember, whatever YOU like is what is important

General Dept. Store -
    Go to the Chanel counter Try No. 5 Eau Premiere. It is the modern, fresher version of No. 5, and I think would fit well into any of your catagories, as it is very versalile. Try a spray of Coco, Coco Mad. and Coco Noir. If you like any of them, they could work for date. Then try Christalle and Christalle Au Vert, which is a fresh greenish option. Also try #19 Poudre, a lovely soft version of #19.
    You are just checking out what types are frags are available, so that is why I thought an established, large line like Chanel would be a good start. Many of them are classics.

Sephora
    Check out Hermes. Kelly Caleche is beautiful and versatile, a soft suede floral. Try the Jardin series, there are 4 of them, as they could be work or class.

Also try the Prada iris frags as a possible work/class option that is fresh, yet interesting.

Those are just starting points, but you might find something you like
    Cello and I have the same tastes because I agree with here suggestions. Welcome to Basenotes!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I will be sure to try as many as I can today

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to smell a few of the perfumes suggested and I tried one on myself (Prada Candy) that I am still not sure about.
    A few that I will by trying on myself in the future: Chanel's Coco and Coco Mademoiselle (they did not have Coco Noir for me to try), Mugler's Alien, and Shalimar Parfum Initial.

There were also a few that I tried and liked that were not suggested: Clinique's Happy in Bloom; and Lancome's O d'Azur, Tresor in Love, and Tresor Midnight Rose.

Some of the ones listed I was not able to find, so I will have to look at other places (I only went to Macy's today). Others, such as Estee Lauder's Private Collection seemed a bit mature for me.

Thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions!