Code of Conduct

Default O'Driù SECRACTION - A Conversation (NSFW)

Here is a conversation that took place last Thursday on the question of whether the "personalization" of this fragrance by Angelo Orazio Pregoni really makes a difference or not. See for yourself.

You can also watch it here: http://youtu.be/Flv2oTXRbHU

If you are totally confused about the pee thing, read this thread first.

With BN members Sorcery of Scent, Kevin Guyer, Redneck Perfumisto, firehorse, Fleurine, hobbes22 (both of him), and myself.

The next day, I also gave it a full wearing. It is the first O'Driù I have experienced that references commerical/contemporary men's scents. I would guess that this is kind of the point--something that appears traditional from the outside but has an eccentric secret at its heart. The composition is built upon a very satisfying woody-ambery-musky foundation that reminds me of a more piquant version of Musc Ravageur. As you can probably tell by the reactions here, people respond to it very positively--even when they know what's in there!

In total, I think it's a superb scent. It's atypical for this line but makes perfect sense. I still think a huge part of its appeal is simply as a performance art piece. Wearing it on the subway and at my office, I had to confront a whole second phase of the performance: the self-awareness and the nagging question of whether anyone would ever guess. There was also a persistent conflict of emotion: a kind of remorse for the people around me who were also smelling it and a perverse kind of entertainment that they were. This is a very strange experiment indeed.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 16th December 2012 at 01:24 AM.

Default Re: O'Driù SECRACTION - A Conversation (NSFW)

Wow, that's a very nice little club you guys have there!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Wow, that's a very nice little club you guys have there!
    This particular meetup was intense. We started at 6:30 and went until just before 2am. Some highlights were Guerlain Djedi, Vent Verte, vintage Bel Ami, the original Shiseido Iris Silver Mist (courtesy of Rubegon), and some rare oud oils that evbo brought over. We also did side-by-sides of Muscs Koublaï Khan, Musc Tonkin, and deer musk with Somerville Metro Man on the Google+ hangout. That was really fun. People also seemed to like mitti attar made with mysore sandalwood and a velvet pouch that had absorbed $450 worth of JAR Golconda that leaked out of my bottle.

We also tried to authenticate a potentially fake vintage Après L'Ondée, but our expert (Sorcery of Scent) was sadly unable to smell it through the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    and a velvet pouch that had absorbed $450 worth of JAR Golconda that leaked out of my bottle.
    Ouch! But I envy you for being able to do such meet-ups.

Sound Scents

Great stuff there Brian, looks like you all had a great time with the "great experiment"! I guess I will have to see what my own verdict is tomorrow afternoon...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It was an awesome evening, I'm so glad I was part of it. I'm wondering how different the new version of Bel Ami is from the original. Anyone care to chime in?
    BTW, I preferred the pee tainted version of O'D - it seemed more vivid.

Its interesting how you mention the "Second phase" that initializes when getting in public and suddenly being consciously aware of your perfume and surroundings. It sorta heightens some of your senses doesn't it?
    I think thats a quality he was going for when composing this.
    That 6th sense cajoled into existence.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

Performance art, indeed.

Thanks for posting Brian, and more importantly thanks for getting my buddy Kevin Guyer to post again here on BN

Next time I'm in the Big Apple we'll get together so save me some urine enhanced O'Driu, will you?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

We also did side-by-sides of Muscs Koublaï Khan, Musc Tonkin, and deer musk with Somerville Metro Man on the Google+ hangout.
    Really excellent, thanks Brian. Where did you guys end up with this comparison? Curious as I have MKK and MT (blind) on the way but have not smelled real deer musk.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Performance art, indeed.

Thanks for posting Brian, and more importantly thanks for getting my buddy Kevin Guyer to post again here on BN

Next time I'm in the Big Apple we'll get together so save me some urine enhanced O'Driu, will you?
    I'm going to send the unenhanced one to a friend, but I will keep the other one here for you. I was really bummed not to meet you in Vegas. Come visit soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Really excellent, thanks Brian. Where did you guys end up with this comparison? Curious as I have MKK and MT (blind) on the way but have not smelled real deer musk.
    I find the deer musk to be very velvety and comforting. It is clear how both MKK and MT took inspiration from it, as they both exhibit a rounded, sweaty-but-not-acrid muskiness. The general vibe of both perfumes is nearly identical in this respect. If you were to take MKK and make it more persistent, more austere, and more guarded about releasing her inner floral secret, you'd be in the general vicinity of Musc Tonkin. If you tried MKK and thought, "this is fantastic, but I could handle more," I think you'd be very pleased with MT. So pleased in fact that you might kick yourself for not going to the Parfums d'Empire site now and blind buying it--with only 1000 bottles, this is going to be done in no time. (It's already sold out in the US.)

To me, Musc Tonkin is the new benchmark musk. An absolutely breathtaking scent.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 16th December 2012 at 03:02 AM.

What a wonderful meeting it must have been! More reports please. Is ISM really that different?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its interesting how you mention the "Second phase" that initializes when getting in public and suddenly being consciously aware of your perfume and surroundings. It sorta heightens some of your senses doesn't it?
    A heightening of the senses is an excellent way to describe it. You feel flush with both embarrassment and excitement when wearing it, which is quite funny given that the amount of urine is so miniscule. When much nastier excretions like castoreum, civet, and ambergris are commonly seasoning fragrances in higher concentration, it makes me wonder if we didn't always feel this rush of blood and lost it along the way. From this perspective, SECRACTION is a sort of restorative, yes, nearly (as the instructions say) "magic" experience. On the surface, it seems theatrical and silly and gross, but if you're willing to indulge the psychological ploy, it delivers on the promise.

I will admit now that when I posted that poll I was extremely skeptical that this wasn't a joke on absurd fumeheads who might cover themselves with anything that someone pronounced as ultra-niche/artistic/revolutionary/expensive. But I have been proven wrong.

And it smells great.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 16th December 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes - very intense sniffing. Highly educational all the way around. The Google+ hangout really worked well - we did three people in a row. I would like to try it in the future with multiple cyber-members simultaneously. For larger meet-ups like this, I recommend using an external speaker for the guests, and possibly a table-mike for sound. But a big laptop in full-screen mode gives a nice picture of a single participant - we know that much.

There were many more fragrances sniffed and discussed. Amazing.

I think that the only person who really got the full artistic experience was Brian. The rest of us were basically vicarious enablers. It will really only be when we get our own bottles and make our own decisions that we actually engage the art fully. I am very thankful for this opportunity, because in some ways it relieves my curiosity, while still allowing me the choice of NOT augmenting the fragrance. So it's basically a cheat.

Hopefully the next statement won't violate the "hot topics" rule - it's not meant as a debate - just my personal thoughts on how I want to deal with the artistic aspects of this fragrance.

I think that I may choose to buy it and never spray nor open my bottle at all. That would be my artistic statement of appreciation and support of the nuns who understood Serrano's work, and what it says about humanity and the world (which is not nice, but IMO quite true). I have no idea what Pregoni chooses to say by his use of the nun motif for the bottle - I can only decide what I choose to say. I believe that the beauty and untainted purity of those who choose restraint against natural will is good, even though I may not choose that for myself. It would be a symbol of my respect for their choice.

The connection to Serrano and the nun bottle just blew my mind.

Guerlainista

What a great group - what a great time! I wish I could have been there to meet everyone face to face.

As for Secraction, I still think it may be a joke on one level. But I think your experience of it is really independent of that, isn't it?

If you ultimately find out that Pregoni was just taking the piss out of niche fumeheads without having given it much more thought than that - does it change how you feel about it? The second order experience of it that's contained within your head should still be the same. Or does it all fall in on itself and leave you just wearing your own urine? Does the artists intent matter?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Hopefully the next statement won't violate the "hot topics" rule - it's not meant as a debate - just my personal thoughts on how I want to deal with the artistic aspects of this fragrance.
    The cynical side of me, the one who logs in and sees a pile of infractions every time I go to my Settings page, is already bracing for the next 5 or 10 for the urination video, resurrecting the banned, or probably something even more esoteric that I'm not even aware of. The optimistic side of me thinks that the "hot topics" rule can be set aside long enough to have a serious discussion about art because, honestly, the intersection of art and "not hot topic" is a complete wasteland.

It is a conundrum to think that you can take fragrance seriously as art and yet never offend anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    What a great group - what a great time! I wish I could have been there to meet everyone face to face.

As for Secraction, I still think it may be a joke on one level. But I think your experience of it is really independent of that, isn't it?

If you ultimately find out that Pregoni was just taking the piss out of niche fumeheads without having given it much more thought than that - does it change how you feel about it? The second order experience of it that's contained within your head should still be the same. Or does it all fall in on itself and leave you just wearing your own urine? Does the artists intent matter?
    Taking the piss out of Yes, he has done.

Obviously, my only recourse would be to go to Italy and shoplift that bottle of Londa 1005 I always wanted. Give a little, take a little--it all comes out in the end.

That's a joke, btw.

No it's not.

Yes it is.

Shhhh!
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 17th December 2012 at 04:24 AM.

Blog Entries

^ I find Sister Wendy's clarity of thinking remarkable. I learned something from this as video as well. The reason Serrano's P* C* was so affecting to me as a work of art was because of it being disturbing, exactly as she defines that quality. When I saw P* C* at first, I was outraged. And yet, that anger was disturbed by my ideas of freedom of expression, and by the fact that I didn't understand the point. The guy wasn't howlingly anti-religious. Why did he do it? He had to have some reason. And when I first read about certain nuns defending the work, and their NOT being outraged, I thought that they had to be looney tunes.

That's the point. The art disturbed me. The art changed me. Combined with the words of a woman who is, essentially, the world's curator of P* C*, I learned something, and came to accept her point of view. I'm surprised - I actually came to some of the same nuances of her viewpoint, without knowing she held them.

I think Sister Wendy is just awesome. I do hold that photograph in higher regard than her, but not because I'm non-religious and find some sort of amusement in desecration. I would imagine that, as a nun, one has a particularly front row view of people who appropriate religion and religious figures for their own purposes--who, essentially, shape a figure like Christ into something he is not for their own ends. I remember watching these TV evangelists when I was growing up who were judgmental, hateful, materialistic, and absolutely certain of their own righteousness, and they were contemporary to that photograph. I always interpreted it as the ultimate, almost palpable reminder of what Christ actually stood for (i.e., none of those things). It seemed a complete punch in the face to that sort of hypocrisy--a depiction of humility and suffering that was anvil-like, irrefutable, and necessary. I think it's also aesthetically beautiful, which of course is ironic but also totally appropriate.

That photograph is still protested today. I don't know if Serrano has ever come forward and said that it means this or it means that, but I don't think it would matter. Works of art do have a life of their own beyond the artist's intentions, even successful works of art. And that right there might be the answer to Rubegon's question of whether it would matter to me if Pregoni came out and explained what it meant and the joke was on me. Haha, you wore your urine. Well, haha, this work is no longer defined solely by the artist. In this case, literally, it is partly mine.

Guerlainista

That photograph is still protested today. I don't know if Serrano has ever come forward and said that it means this or it means that, but I don't think it would matter. Works of art do have a life of their own beyond the artist's intentions, even successful works of art. And that right there might be the answer to Rubegon's question of whether it would matter to me if Pregoni came out and explained what it meant and the joke was on me. Haha, you wore your urine. Well, haha, this work is no longer defined solely by the artist. In this case, literally, it is partly mine.
    I think so too. Whatever he intended, it led you to a completely new experience. Your experience of it is real.

Was the use of civet or castoreum in perfume shocking in the past? I don't know - probably not. But they enhanced perfume in a real way - the same but better, more intense. This is like that, but with the intensity completely in your mind - still just as real.

You guys rule! No doubts! This was an amazing meeting with great discussions. I (virtually) know most of you from quite a long time now but seeing you on the screen it was like I've been knowing you since forever.

Personally, like I've said in other threads, I find SECRACTION to be a big winner under all aspects. Communication, composition, design, concept....The fragrance is superb (both the "augmented" version and the "regular"). Yes, it brings controversy but, a healthy dose of it.

Please, let me spend a few more words on that amazing individual that is Brian Chambers! YOU INCARNATE THE TRUE SPIRIT OF FRAGRANCE! Genuine, passionate, openminded and, most of all, a friend!

WE LOVE YOU, BRIAN!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

I'd like to mention that the original juice comes with a dropper, while the container in which the final urine-enhanced version is meant to be filled has a sprayer. I did find that dropping one and spraying the other had an effect on the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    It was an awesome evening, I'm so glad I was part of it. I'm wondering how different the new version of Bel Ami is from the original. Anyone care to chime in?
    BTW, I preferred the pee tainted version of O'D - it seemed more vivid.
    I also preferred the pee taint. It's richer and has more depth.

I find the new version of Bel Ami radically different from the old. The vintage is all smoky birch tar to my nose, and probably other leather ingredients like safrinole or something. Luca Turin loves birch tar, so it's no wonder he likes it. The new stuff is much rounder and milder, with hardly any smokey-tarry notes to be found. It's got a distinct spice accord like cinnamon and cardamom. I hate birch tar, and really enjoy the new Bel Ami. I don't find the two Bel Ami formulae particularly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Certainly that's meant to be part of the piece.

My first wearing of Secraction, I went to an event for the fledgling Institute for Art and Olfaction at Scent Bar. Of course it was perfect for that crowd and everyone leaned in to catch the drydown.

But actually I found the scent to be quite challenging about four hours in, once the lovely rose and cinnamon had burnt off; that castoreum overdose is no joke. It's quite urinaceous and my pee drop surely didn't help. After that edgy hour it became a tamer vanilla patchouli pleasantry.

I find the deer musk to be very velvety and comforting. It is clear how both MKK and MT took inspiration from it, as they both exhibit a rounded, sweaty-but-not-acrid muskiness. The general vibe of both perfumes is nearly identical in this respect. If you were to take MKK and make it more persistent, more austere, and more guarded about releasing her inner floral secret, you'd be in the general vicinity of Musc Tonkin. If you tried MKK and thought, "this is fantastic, but I could handle more," I think you'd be very pleased with MT. So pleased in fact that you might kick yourself for not going to the Parfums d'Empire site now and blind buying it--with only 1000 bottles, this is going to be done in no time. (It's already sold out in the US.)

To me, Musc Tonkin is the new benchmark musk. An absolutely breathtaking scent.
    I had no idea you guys were talkin about Musk Tonkin, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I tried it at the event last night and was also very impacted by meeting this composition. I left with a sample and look forward to my first wearing. There's a soapy-iononic kick that I hope doesn't get out of control on my skin however.

A heightening of the senses is an excellent way to describe it. You feel flush with both embarrassment and excitement when wearing it, which is quite funny given that the amount of urine is so miniscule. When much nastier excretions like castoreum, civet, and ambergris are commonly seasoning fragrances in higher concentration, it makes me wonder if we didn't always feel this rush of blood and lost it along the way. From this perspective, SECRACTION is a sort of restorative, yes, nearly (as the instructions say) "magic" experience. On the surface, it seems theatrical and silly and gross, but if you're willing to indulge the psychological ploy, it delivers on the promise.

I will admit now that when I posted that poll I was extremely skeptical that this wasn't a joke on absurd fumeheads who might cover themselves with anything that someone pronounced as ultra-niche/artistic/revolutionary/expensive. But I have been proven wrong.

And it smells great.
    Well put. I think Sgnr. Pregoni has tread that fine line very, very skillfully here.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I don't find the two Bel Ami formulae particularly similar.
    Agree. The vintage formulation is a leathery woody-citrus with boatloads of juxtapositions while the current feels overall more like a woody oriental.

Thanks to this thread I just blind bought Musc Tonkin. Oh, well...

Fantastic video, I felt right at home with you guys

TBH I really wasn't offended or titillated or challenged at all when the O'Driu one was first mentioned - try a drop of urine in fragrance and see what effect it has on the scent, yeh, okay etc. etc. but I hadn't really considered the second part of the equation, the 'performance', that hedonist so aptly described . . . being amongst people with the knowledge that one is wearing it. That's sort of interesting. Mind you, let's be frank - if the talk about spatter from urinals and so on is to be believed then I imagine there are probably a host of well groomed and otherwise perfectly presentable people wandering around sporting more than a drop on their person on any given day.

No - the pee thing was a red herring for me, boys and girls. I was waiting to see what the verdict might be with verifying that damned Apres l'Ondee Extrait!!!!!!!

That, surely, was of far greater import than mildly 'attenuating' (I hesitate to use the word 'enhancing' out of deference to the personal taste of those who chose 'A' - I'm that kinda guy, ya know) Mr. Pregoni's latest (obviously fine, here the 'A's and the 'B's seemed to agree) piece of work

P.S. It was absolutely wonderful to see the great, the one and only Sorcery of Scent sitting in on the earlier part of the conversation. I really miss his contribution to basenotes, but it seems a lot of the good people have gone - why is that?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th December 2012 at 09:50 AM.

What an amazing reunion, I envy you all so much right now.
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 16th December 2012 at 12:51 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    What a wonderful meeting it must have been! More reports please. Is ISM really that different?

cacio
    It is somewhat different. The original is fuller in the middle with, as Sugandaraja astutely noted, more carrot seed. The new one feels hollowed out in comparison and the cinnamic bite is more apparent. The new one seems to project better as well. Whether these differences are good or bad I think will be left to the nose of the beholder. The new one definitely remains an excellent fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Please, let me spend a few more words on that amazing individual that is Brian Chambers! YOU INCARNATE THE TRUE SPIRIT OF FRAGRANCE! Genuine, passionate, openminded and, most of all, a friend!

WE LOVE YOU, BRIAN!
    That is very kind, but you know we would not be smelling any of these were it not for you. You are kind of our fearless leader into these on-the-edge lines, and I am more than happy to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    My first wearing of Secraction, I went to an event for the fledgling Institute for Art and Olfaction at Scent Bar. Of course it was perfect for that crowd and everyone leaned in to catch the drydown.
    Haha. I love this image. Just how close did they lean? I imagine not very

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    P.S. It was absolutely wonderful to see the great, the one and only Sorcery of Scent sitting in on the earlier part of the conversation. I really miss his contribution to basenotes, but it seems a lot of the good people have gone - why is that?
    I can't help but be reminded, when I am reading articles about climate change and how the great, majestic creatures of the sea are being replaced by jellyfish and sea slugs because of water acidification, of the decline in great posters on Basenotes. I don't know the specific situation with Sorcery of Scent, and neither am I a poster anywhere near his caliber, but I can tell you from my own experience I am already on my final warning before being banned. [--Anecdote about a moderation decision pertaining to me removed upon request--] Is it any wonder that people who veer off the script of panty dropper lists, Aventus batch numbers, and terrifyingly mundane beverage diaries are eventually going to leave or get banned?

Managing a community like this cannot be easy. There are legitimate grifters out there who prey on people in the Marketplace. There are people with mental illness and the question of whether they can be accommodated. There is an indepletable wellspring of histrionics. My observation from the sidelines is that managing a community of quality posters is like having a classroom full of gifted kids. They are going to be a handful, they will questin authority, and they require a great deal more finesse than a seemingly endless catalog of esoteric and bureaucratic rules could ever address. Whether they are worth that effort is a question that Basenotes has to answer for itself, but I for one dream of a day when all the great posters of the past--Sorcery of Scent, hillaire, Offscenter, etc.--swim back home where they belong to waters that are no longer hostile.

I've already seen some positive movement in that direction. Just this thread still being up is evidence!
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 17th December 2012 at 04:21 AM.

I don't know the specific situation with Sorcery of Scent, and neither am I a poster anywhere near his caliber, but I can tell you from my own experience I am already on my final warning before being banned. You know what my last crime was? Joking that starshipvelcro, a beloved friend, had sent me a hairball in the mail instead of samples. Is it any wonder that people who veer off the script of panty dropper lists, Aventus batch numbers, and terrifyingly mundane beverage diaries are eventually going to leave or get banned?

Managing a community like this cannot be easy. There are legitimate grifters out there who prey on people in the Marketplace. There are people with mental illness and the question of whether they can be accommodated or not. My observation from the sidelines is that managing a community of quality posters is like having a classroom full of gifted kids. They are going to be a handful, they will questin authority, and they require a great deal more finesse than a seemingly endless catalog of esoteric and bureaucratic rules could ever address. Whether they are worth that effort is a question that Basenotes has to answer for itself, but I for one dream of a day when all the great posters of the past--Sorcery of Scent, hillaire, Offscenter, etc.--swim back home where they belong to waters that are no longer hostile.

I've already seen some positive movement in that direction. Just this thread still being up is evidence!
    Well, I can't imagine anyone objecting to your contributions unless they have some sort of aversion to coherent sentence structure and lack a sense of humour. Hosting a session like this and then sharing it with the community is testament to your contribution to basenotes. And I think you're right in that there have been a few good discussions of late in amongst the LIDGE and Dior Homme Intense stuff . . . hope springs eternal

It feels to me that basenotes is in a sort of limbo. I still prefer things here to the uneasy mix of forced jollity and bitchy cliquey-ness of the other forums a number of people have migrated to. As long as we can still have provocative, intelligent conversation about the industry (and laugh at ourselves) then this place can maintain some sort of integrity. I don't see Luca Turin or some of the perfumers dropping in to the other places to chat (this fact is probably lost on the Beavis & Butthead Brigade) so it's clear basenotes still has a role to play - let's just hope we keep the interesting people engaged here, the ones with opinions and insight to share, and make an earnest attempt to act like grown-ups - some of the time, at least

Please respect the rule about not discussing moderation on the forum.

Blog Entries

Such a lovely night! And a wonderful generous host. My favorite scent of the evening was that funky Musc Tonkin. Get it while you can if you are BRAVE. Other highlights were the Slumberhouse full line, Demeter Ginger Ale, ummmm.... 180 ans sampling, not to forget the THREE DROPS of DJEDI on BC's arm, that we all smelled over and over again. Now if I can just pickup another bottle of that one. The Skype guests esp. Sorcery of Scent were also incredible. Apres L'Ondee extrait headed to Perth Australia for authentication, FYI.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 16th December 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

It was a wonderful night. If the Mayan apocalypse happens in a couple days, I'm happy that I got to smell so many wonderful rare and beautiful fragrances with beautiful people. So many hi-lites of the night. What a shame Sorcery of Scent is no longer here, such a valuable member of the fragrance community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    not to forget the THREE DROPS of DJEDI on BC's arm, that we all smelled over and over again.
    I'm so grateful I got to experience that. Thank you Kevin Guyer for sparing your last two drops. Djedi is mythic, that was the first time I smelled it in any formulation.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if you can or how to multi-Skype with several people?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    I'm so grateful I got to experience that. Thank you Kevin Guyer for sparing your last two drops. Djedi is mythic, that was the first time I smelled it in any formulation.
    What's it smell like?

Yes. You have to subscribe to their group calling service and pay.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Please respect the rule about not discussing moderation on the forum.
    You are awesome, socalwoman! Kind, generous, sensible, fair and ... moderate. You make BN a better place.

(does that count as discussing moderation?)

Blog Entries

Djedi (the reissue is what we smelled) is a seamless vetiver / leather, almost a bit delicate. Restrained but sexy. Very dry. Did someone mention a marigold note, or was that another scent? A scent to go back to again and again, except we can't.

Agreeing with Fleurine, Djedi is a very sexy leather.... and "it's classy". Always looking for a way to throw the word classy around.

By the way what the heck happened to my snow white avatar. It was classy and didn't break any rules or anything.

ETA OK, found another SW.
    Last edited by firehorse; 16th December 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    You are awesome, socalwoman! Kind, generous, sensible, fair and ... moderate. You make BN a better place.

(does that count as discussing moderation?)
    Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.
    Ditto

Blog Entries

Does anyone know the notes of Secraction? I was so busy trying to detect the smell of urine, that I didn't even smell, completely bypassed the fragrance itself.

A couple of times I thought you guys were passing around joints and I had to remind myself it was smelling strips.

The look on the one woman's face (I'm sorry, I don't know who is who) when she's passed the P-ersonalized Secraction strip is P-riceless.

This whole Secraction thing has been ridiculous (in a good way) and the lines between fiction and reality (at least fromt the outside looking in) quite blurry at times!
    Last edited by Buysblind; 17th December 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: to improve the quality of my response

Does anyone know the notes of Secraction? I was so busy trying to detect the smell of urine, that I didn't even smell, completely bypassed the fragrance itself.
    Vanille, Mousse arbre, Tonka, Jasmine, Rose, Orange douce, Mandarine, Cannelier feuilles, Tabac, Castoreum, Amber gris, Santal, Poivre rose.

You can read other insights on the fragrance and packaging in this thread...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...egoni-(O-Driù)

Blog Entries

Also, Hobbes A and Hobbes B are even MORE identical and of course handsome in person. Which Hobbes is which? They lent the evening an almost surreal quality.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 17th December 2012 at 07:38 PM.

They lent the evening an almost surreal quality.
    Oh, absolutely

Blog Entries

I spent quite a while staring at them back and forth trying to find some small difference, amd found almost none, identical twins really are quite amazing.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 17th December 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Guerlainista

I spent quite a while staring at them back and forth trying to find some small difference, amd found almost none, identical twins really are quite amazing.
    Maybe you can tell them apart by smell.

Great post Brian Chambers! Thank you for taking the time to include us all in your "meet up" by posting your video. I enjoyed seeing it immensely.

Blog Entries

Since the Google+ service is free, I'm pretty sure that the multi-person is free, too. We just never had more than one person calling in to us at the same time. But if we do it again, we should be able to get everybody on at once. And the great thing is, the people connecting to the main party will be able to see each other, too.

Another note in Djedi which I remember vividly from the opening and the beginning of the heart is the iris/orris. I think that was a critical part of what I loved about it.

Yes - thanks to Kevin for giving us that amazing experience. One more of Luca Turin's 5-star treasures that I have actually gotten to sniff.

I will try to remember to bring another one, which Dimi sent me a sample of, the next time we meet. (Shhhhhh! )

Blog Entries

if we do another meet up I might bring some vintage parfums de Nina Ricci, my teensy sample of The Party in Manhattan, what else? Asrar Attar by Amouage. What fragrance are you referring to Red?

Blog Entries

if we do another meet up I might bring some vintage parfums de Nina Ricci, my teensy sample of The Party in Manhattan, what else? Asrar Attar by Amouage. What fragrance are you referring to Red?
    Le Feu d'Issey. And I have enough for everybody to actually wear some!

Seriously, I have never smelled anything like it.

Le Feu d’Issey (Issey Miyake) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ milky rose The surprise effect of Le Feu d’Issey is total. Smelling it is like pressing the play button on a frantic video clip of unconnected objects that fly past one’s nose at warp speed: fresh baguette, lime peel, clean wet linen, shower soap, hot stone, salty skin, even a fleeting touch of vitamin B pills, and no doubt a few other UFOs that this reviewer failed to catch the first few times. Whoever did this has that rarest of qualities in perfumery, a sense of humor. Bravo to those who did not recoil in horror at something so original and agreed to bottle it and sell it, but shame also, since they lost their nerve and discontinued it before it caught on. Whether you wear it or not, if you can find it, it should be in your collection as a reminder that perfume is, among other things, the most portable form of intelligence. LT

Tania Sanchez (2008-04-10). Perfumes (Kindle Locations 3482-3489). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

I had a bottle of Feu but I sold it. I did keep a 10ml decant. You all gotta tell me these things! Maybe next meetup, I'll make a smelling menu.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Other than the wearing of a fragrance, for me this is what it is all about. Many thanks for a most enjoyable e-adventure.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Guerlainista

Sorcery of Scent has posted about O'Driù and Secraction on his blog. It's a great read - check it out:

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com.a...sions-and.html