Code of Conduct

Smile Tested tons of perfume this week and...

I'm new to the site. Been a lurker for quite some time trying to hone down my "signature" scent.

From Miami and had a challenge looking for the goods. To my surprise I found, Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, CDG, Clive, and Tom Ford. All the best houses. What stood out the most was Amouage. My god, what an amazing fragrance. To me, it beat all the other houses by a long shot. To be more specific: Jubilation, Memoir, and Reflection. I'm truly blown away. I'm still trying to find another house of that magnitude but still haven't found it. Still waiting on my Tribute and Homage samples from MIN NY, really excited for that!

I still haven't built my collection yet, been very picky about what I should stick with. I gotta feeling it's going to be all Amouage!

If anyone has any recommendations, feel free to let me know.

Default Re: Tested tons of perfume this week and...

Quote Originally Posted by teepeeasel View Post
    I'm new to the site.
    Sup new guy.

What stood out the most was Amouage. My god, what an amazing fragrance. To me, it beat all the other houses by a long shot.
    Yeah man, Amouage is the whip, it can't be beat.

To be more specific: Jubilation, Memoir, and Reflection. I'm truly blown away.
    Those are my favorites from Amouage as well.

I'm still trying to find another house of that magnitude but still haven't found it.
    I wouldn't hold my breath, IMHO, it doesn't get better than Amouage.

The only Amouage I found that is bottle worthy is Gold for men. The funny thing is that on the first wearing I didn't think I would ever wear it again. Each experience got better and now it's the only one I'm interested in that line so far.

Other houses to try out perhaps:

Frederic Malle
    Parfums D'Empire
    Parfums Marley

Welcome!

You might also want to consider trying Bond No. 9, by Kilian, Lubin, and Montale. These also have some rich, opulent offerings.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes! Are you just going to buy just niche frags and become one of the "niche boys" right away or are you going to try any of the wonderful designer frags out there? You Have Chanel, Hermes, Guerlain and many more houses to choose from. I think it's ridiculous to spend a butt load of money on one frag at the beginning of your scent journey. Hey it's your money, go for it!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Good question!

I did try a lot of designer fragrances, but none of it "spoke" to me, which is unfortunate cause I'd save some money if they did.

I noticed splits are very popular here. I figured I'd just buy decants instead of buying full bottles of the niche stuff. That should do the trick, right?

Guess I'm part of the "niche crew" :P

Well, there are so many great houses: L'Artisan, MPG, Serge Lutens, Lorenzo Villoresi, Creed. Newer ones like Slumberhouse, Profumum, Parfum d'Empire. There are also older designer greats from Givanchy, Azzaro, Yves Saint Laurant, Caron (not really designer, but in that price league). Nothing against Amouage, but that shouldn't be the end of your journey.

Amouage is definitely rich (though some, especially feminines, have been lightened recently). Something tells me you'd like Tribute but less so Homage, which is superclean and bright (again, lightened up recently). Too bad only these two are currently marketed in the US, because Amouage has more oils.

For richness, some Serge Lutens exclusives are also up there, but you need to go to NYC (if not Paris) and in NYC fork out nearly as much as for the Amouage.

cacio

While we're listing houses:
    Parfumerie Generale
    Bois 1920

Amouage is definitely top shelf!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Think you should look at MDCI also, if rich, expensive niche is your thang.

And I suppose narrowing down to one or two houses is one way of making it easier to make sense of the millions of things out there, but you'll miss a lot of good stuff that way. As mentioned in a recent thread, I don't really get the point of house loyalty.

Seriously consider testing scents from Hermes, Guerlain, Dior, Chanel, Givenchy, Yves Saint Laurent and Costume National of designer brands...

Amouage is quite unique. From various sources I've got the impression that this is one of the houses that uses probably the highest concentration of natural oils and essences anywhere in the world. Whether you like their scents or not, the quality of their ingredients is truly exceptional. The Qataris have saved the perfume world from degenerating into a purely petrochemical potpourri. Clive Christian is another great house, and in a similar price league as Amouage. Creed you already mentioned - they are the last family run major quality brand and produce some fine fragrances. L'Artisan and Penhaligon's - note the ownership overlap - are also noteworthy, as are Lutens, Lubin, and other small producers like Xerjoff, Tauer, Turtle etc. Designer frags are indeed often disappointing, especially made and managed by huge industrial conglomerates like LVMH (Dior, Bulgari, Guerlain etc.) and other mammoth corporations, but even they at times produce new surprises, with Dior Homme being a good example. And the vast majority of quality focused houses like Chanel and Hermes are great examples of respectable perfumery.

Enjoy the fun!
    Last edited by rbaker; 16th December 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Sound Scents

Amouage has been hit or miss with me, but mostly hits... and when they have it hit, it can be an absolute home run, like with Dia Man, Jubilation XXV and many of the attars like Tribute and Homage.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Amouage has a signature feel to their fragrances that very unique to that house. I think that if you really like it, you should go for your Amouage favorites!

Welcome to the world of Amouage! Enjoy. Congrats on your good taste

Welcome to the club , feel free to love them like we all.

You might also like to test the niche fragrance houses of Knize, Penhaligons, Serge Lutens.

As well as the exclusive lines of Chanel, Dior, Armani, Lancome.

Just cause they are really expensive and niche doesn't make something the best houses. These are good, but also consider houses like Chanel, Dior, and Guerlain. They got some great offerings and not as expensive.

Just let the guy be happy with Amouage already! I know that designer houses offer good things too, but the OP is just showing that he's impressed with Amouage, and I can see why... there's no need of that "my designer is better than your niche"!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Amouage is quite unique. From various sources I've got the impression that this is one of the houses that uses probably the highest concentration of natural oils and essences anywhere in the world. Whether you like their scents or not, the quality of their ingredients is truly exceptional.
    You're right! I went yesterday to sample more Amouage's and I noticed after spraying, it left an oily residue , which I haven't experienced from another house, yet.

Found a place that carries Nasamatto, Kilians, MFK, and Bond no. 9. Going to test those out today.

I don't necessarily want to stop at Amouage, cause I know there's so much out there, but it's been the one that lasts the longest on me and makes me want to sniff myself all the time. Besides scent, what I look for the most is longevity and so far my favourite Amouage's lasted for a good 8+ hours, at the least! Creed, Tom Ford, Clive, and most designers that I've tried have only lasted a good 4-5 hours on MY skin. It can be a bit disappointing to spray on some really good stuff that only lasts a few hours, especially if the juice cost 250-300+.

Anyhoo, I gotta get ready to try out more stuff. My parents must think I'm crazy going out to just try fragrances every other day.

Happy sniffin'!

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Welcome to basenotes! Are you just going to buy just niche frags and become one of the "niche boys" right away or are you going to try any of the wonderful designer frags out there? You Have Chanel, Hermes, Guerlain and many more houses to choose from. I think it's ridiculous to spend a butt load of money on one frag at the beginning of your scent journey. Hey it's your money, go for it!
    I agree. I have a HUGE fragrance collection and half or more are designer. And to be honest those get me the most compliments. And most importantly my Gf seems to enjoy them more. My creeds etc don't seem do get noticed as well and don't have the longevity as other. But our skin are all different.