Code of Conduct

Default Creed untouched territory for men/unisex

This goes to Creed (and their associates). Having sampled almost all their male/unisex line and unless I'm mistaken, here are some categories I wish the house of Creed with all its majesty could explore:

- Fig! No Creed figs to my knowledge. This should be required by law.
    - Cocoa (please save humanity from A*Men).
    - Coffee.
    - Stone fruit (plum, peach, cherry, apricot) in the male/unisex division. This I can possibly break my own rule for and buy without sampling.
    - Blackberry, pomegranate, raspberry, blueberry, grape, honey, or mango-based scents.
    - Anything seriously dark (their darkest frags are still light compared to what other houses have to offer).

It's rather disappointing, really. For a house that's supposedly hundreds of years old, they should have at least the above categories covered. When I saw that the number of "likes" on their facebook page is far lower than many other houses (Annick Goutal, L'Occitane, Surge Lutens, and even Byredo, to name a few), I thought it was mainly because of their prices. Now I think it may be due to their limited note range.

JC

Default Re: Creed untouched territory for men/unisex

I agree wholeheartedly. I want some fruit other than pineapple. And dark scents are sadly missing. But, Creed may not do that. Just does not seem to fit their image, and in my opinion Creed cares more about their image than their fragrances. If they cared about the fragrances they would solve the batch varieation problems. Creed is good, just not very interesting or challenging. JMHO.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Creed is a very good house and you may have a point with exploring more notes as described. They probably want to keep a tight note group with their fragrances.

Good point -- lazy outfit. Also means that Bond # 9 should be forced into creating something original.

I'm not a big Creed fan, but after reading your list of what they don't do, I have newfound respect for them!

They seem to be doing quite well staying away from some of the most recent market drivers (excepting oud).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Creed has yet to release a gourmand scent, so it's interesting you bring it up. I would like a Creed coffee scent VERY MUCH.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Good point -- lazy outfit.
    I disagree. I do not see it as being lazy, but more on the order that it may not fit into the fragrance profile/business model.

Interesting ideas!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Creed is very narrow in it targeting. They tend to stay with things that smell fresh and clean. They do not seem interested in creating scents that many people find challenging. Even Royal Oud doesn't have too much to do with oud.

They are not the only ones that specialize in a "type" however. Serge Lutens and Montale aren't exactly flooding the market with summertime aquatics.

Nothing wrong with sticking to what you know. If you want skanky / heavy / dark / incense-y, there are other houses that already do that just fine. After all, that is really the definition of niche anyway. I don't own a Ford television.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I want some fruit other than pineapple. And dark scents are sadly missing.
    THIS!!!

But, Creed may not do that. Just does not seem to fit their image, and in my opinion Creed cares more about their image than their fragrances. If they cared about the fragrances they would solve the batch varieation problems. Creed is good, just not very interesting or challenging. JMHO.
    This too.

I won't be surprised if Aventus opens the door to other fruity Creeds. I'd like to see that happen. Actually, I think all of the OP's ideas are good, but, yeah, as Akahina said, I doubt Creed would do most of them. Sadly.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

One of Creed's positive points, in my book, is the fact that Creed is very conservative with regard to the number of scents it releases. Creed has 69 scents listed in the directory (which includes numerous discontinued or limited scents); Bond has 72, for example, despite coming into existence years after Creed started mass-market selling.

But these are great ideas for future scent notes.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree wholeheartedly. I want some fruit other than pineapple. And dark scents are sadly missing. But, Creed may not do that. Just does not seem to fit their image, and in my opinion Creed cares more about their image than their fragrances. If they cared about the fragrances they would solve the batch varieation problems. Creed is good, just not very interesting or challenging. JMHO.
    Personally, I think that "good" is way more important than "interesting or challenging." Sure, in a perfect world, I'd like both. But as long as Creed makes scents that smell as fantastic as MI, GIT, VIW, and a few others, I'm a happy camper.

And (crosses fingers) it seems, based on other posts, that the batch variation issue is pretty much resolved. Personally, my last few Creed bottles have been as uniform in scent as other houses.

- - - Updated - - -
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I would like to smell a dark perfume from them. But thank god they have not released any gourmand perfume. I hate gourmands.

Creed have developed a certain style and they stick to it because its working for them. I wouldn't expect Creed to come out with a dark oud or civet laden scent, the same way I wouldn't expect Neil Diamond to release a gangsta rap album.

Btw, Acqua Fiorentina has plum, and Spring Flower has a peach note. Both marketed to women, but imo wearable by a man.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I wouldn't expect Creed to come out with a dark oud or civet laden scent, the same way I wouldn't expect Neil Diamond to release a gangsta rap album.
    So much this...

If i want a decent quality leather belt ill go to somewhere like Mulberry, and if I want leather shoes ill go somewhere else.

If i want versatile, simple, clean fragrances well done that are classic, ill go to Creed, or at least check them out first.

if i want something heavier or different, i probally wouldnt even waste my time going to Creed, makes sense to me...

Yep, I agree with the above two posts. I'm actually happy that Creed is limiting itself to the citrus/fresh/clean scents. They're sticking to what they do best. I think Royal Oud is as far out as they'd be willing to go.

I think that Love in Black is dark..its unisex and I think its pretty good.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Agree that other fruits would be welcoming

Creed has many takes on citrus - over 6 colognes dedicated to it. IMHO, perhaps they can spend a little less time on orange peel and give a little time to passionfruit. It will keep them within the "fresh" corner but give them a little more versatility. After all, the word fresh in perfumery doesn't have to mean citrus every time.

Just sampled Byredo Pulp. Ordered it soon after the first sniff. It's fresh for sure, but not all about citrus. Creed can stretch their legs into this fresh but playful area. Unfortunately, Acqua Fiorentina, Spring Flower, and Jardin D'Amalfi are a bit too feminine to me.

And if they can step into vetiver and sandalwood land, I don't see why fig would be so far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I disagree. I do not see it as being lazy, but more on the order that it may not fit into the fragrance profile/business model.
    What -- 1 new masculine in the last 6 years? They rely too much on their best sellers.

Interesting posts.

What -- 1 new masculine in the last 6 years? They rely too much on their best sellers.
    They've released Windsor, Spice & Wood, Aventus, Royal Oud and Original Cologne since 2009. Liked all of them, but Windsor and Royal Oud were the stand-outs for me.

Not much of a gourmand fan, but I'd still like to see Creed attempt one.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I much prefer the release of fewer quality scents than many mediocre scents. And, as has been pointed out by others, it's really not one, it's more like four or five.

And it's not like Creed is just releasing "flankers." Each scent at least tries to write on a clean slate.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    They've released Windsor, Spice & Wood, Aventus, Royal Oud and Original Cologne since 2009. Liked all of them, but Windsor and Royal Oud were the stand-outs for me.
    Exactly. Even though Spice & Wood and Original Cologne are a bit more "unisex" than "masculine". It's not like they all of a sudden decided: "Hey, this is hard work, lets all just take a few years off, and see how these other ones that we already have on the market sell"

And if they had released 10 masculine fragrances in that time, people would complain that they are just cranking out stuff to make a buck, selling out, etc.

I don't tell my eye doctor that he should really branch out and look into doing spinal surgery...

Good point -- lazy outfit. Also means that Bond # 9 should be forced into creating something original.
    Haha, good one.

Another notes/note groups/scent accords few to little explored by Creed is the classic "barbershop" style fragrance, though OV and marginally even GIT could partially qualify for this, yet without reaching the heights, the positive examples, the creativity and versatility so aptly displayed in this categories from mass-market/drugstore/supermarket (Old Spice, Maurer & Wirtz, the latter especially Tabac, several Bay Rum manufacturers) to designer (YSL Rive Gauche, some of the Infusions by Prada) to niche fragrance houses (ADP's Collezione Barbiere and Colonia ranges, comparable traditional EDC's by companies like Carthusia, Farina Gegenuber, Acqua di Genova etc.).

Basenotes Plus

Creed should produce what they want to produce.

Some possible sources of raw materials for a Creed gourmand?

- chocolate from Willy Wonka's chocolate river
    - Kopi Luwak coffee beans from Java
    - original vanilla pods from a long-lost Aztec civilisation
    - coconut from a rare million dollar three-headed coconut palm
    Last edited by morrison74; 29th April 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Exactly. Even though Spice & Wood and Original Cologne are a bit more "unisex" than "masculine". It's not like they all of a sudden decided: "Hey, this is hard work, lets all just take a few years off, and see how these other ones that we already have on the market sell"

And if they had released 10 masculine fragrances in that time, people would complain that they are just cranking out stuff to make a buck, selling out, etc.

I don't tell my eye doctor that he should really branch out and look into doing spinal surgery...
    You're a funny guy.

Aventus was the first masculine for 5 years from them. 2 others are 'unisex' as you say. The other 2 were since Aventus.

I really don't get the eye doctor quip -- I'm not asking them to do anything else am I, i.e. branch out? I don't accuse Serge Lutens of 'selling out' because they create new scents on a regular basis -- I'm glad they do.

I stick by what I said -- they are dependent on GIT and Aventus too much, to the extent of discontinuing loved scents and producing little else to replace them.

Basenotes Plus

My understanding from Rodney at the Creed Boutique that several masculines are in the works for late fall/early winter this year.

If you notice with Creed, they take their time in introducing new scents when compared to other houses.

In regards to discontinuing some of the Gray Caps, while some of us on basenotes may like something, they also look at their overall sales, and if a scent is not selling, they discontinue. Just because some of us may really like it, the general purchasing public may not.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Some possible sources of raw materials for a Creed gourmand?

- chocolate from Willy Wonka's chocolate river
    - Kopi Luwak coffee beans from Java
    - original vanilla pods from a long-lost Aztec civilisation
    - coconut from a rare million dollar three-headed coconut palm
    Hahaha

Don't forget:
    - honey harvested with bare hands from bee hives situated near the tip of a Mount Stromboli

You're a funny guy.

Aventus was the first masculine for 5 years from them. 2 others are 'unisex' as you say. The other 2 were since Aventus.

I really don't get the eye doctor quip -- I'm not asking them to do anything else am I, i.e. branch out? I don't accuse Serge Lutens of 'selling out' because they create new scents on a regular basis -- I'm glad they do.

I stick by what I said -- they are dependent on GIT and Aventus too much, to the extent of discontinuing loved scents and producing little else to replace them.
    I don't quite follow your logic, sorry. Chanel, to take just one example, has released only two male scents in the past few years (Bleu and an Allure flanker). Yet nobody says Chanel is overly dependent on Egoiste and Pour Monsieur to the point where Chanel is inhibited from spending time on new scents, or faults it for not producing more scents.

One great scent every five years is better than five mediocre scents every one year.

As to discontinuing beloved scents, perfumery is a business. If they were so beloved by the public, they'd sell more and wouldn't be discontinued. Perhaps we'll see them again someday. Angelique Encens is, I think, discontinued, and I'd like to experience that one again (have a small sample somewhere).

And, as a final thought: if Creed only introduced one new scent per decade, and it was as good as GIT or MI (or, to most people, Aventus), then hats off to Creed.
    Current Top Five:

I'd personally like to see a good leather from Creed. I know REL is out there but it's been discontinued, and though I've never gotten my hands on it I'd imagine that the fragrance from the 1700's, while classy as f***, might smell a bit odd in today's market.

I think a classy, contemporary leather would be right up their alley too. Something that smells like brand new Gucci Loafers or an italian hand stitched wallet as opposed to freshly tanned hides would suit their image.

... ON second thought, maybe Gucci should make something that smells like new Gucci loafers. It'd be a step up from that Guilty crap they keep hawking.

Back on topic though, I'd love to see something really dark from Creed. A Gourmand would be great too. Something Honey based maybe...

If they are really using natural ingredients like they say then that is probably what prevents them from making these other styles of fragrances.

CologneFan85

I want chocolate raspberry...or just raspberry

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I don't quite follow your logic, sorry. Chanel, to take just one example, has released only two male scents in the past few years (Bleu and an Allure flanker). Yet nobody says Chanel is overly dependent on Egoiste and Pour Monsieur to the point where Chanel is inhibited from spending time on new scents, or faults it for not producing more scents.

One great scent every five years is better than five mediocre scents every one year.

As to discontinuing beloved scents, perfumery is a business. If they were so beloved by the public, they'd sell more and wouldn't be discontinued. Perhaps we'll see them again someday. Angelique Encens is, I think, discontinued, and I'd like to experience that one again (have a small sample somewhere).

And, as a final thought: if Creed only introduced one new scent per decade, and it was as good as GIT or MI (or, to most people, Aventus), then hats off to Creed.
    The one major difference is that Creed is strictly a perfume house whereas Chanel isn't. They produce so many other things, perfumes are really not their primary focus.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    The one major difference is that Creed is strictly a perfume house whereas Chanel isn't. They produce so many other things, perfumes are really not their primary focus.
    Well, that's undoubtedly a fact, but I don't see the relevance. If you'd prefer a traditional perfume house, how about Guerlain? In the past five years, the only strictly male scents it's released -- apart from the relatively large number of flankers -- is Guerlain pour homme and the Arsene Lupin duo. That's not much different from the number that Creed has released. But I don't think either house is resting on its laurels, just being cautious and selective.
    Current Top Five:

Well, that's undoubtedly a fact, but I don't see the relevance. If you'd prefer a traditional perfume house, how about Guerlain? In the past five years, the only strictly male scents it's released -- apart from the relatively large number of flankers -- is Guerlain pour homme and the Arsene Lupin duo. That's not much different from the number that Creed has released. But I don't think either house is resting on its laurels, just being cautious and selective.
    You brought up Chanel as a point of comparison when it comes to fragrance releases. I pointed out the fact that Chanel isn't first and foremost a perfume house and from that one might be able to infer that coming up with new fragrances isn't their priority. Now do you see why that original remark was relevant? It's really quite simple.

Creed does not even compare to Guerlain in any shape or form.

Chanel isn't first and foremost a perfume house and from that one might be able to infer that coming up with new fragrances isn't their priority. Now do you see why that original remark was relevant? It's really quite simple.
    To the perfumers in the Chanel company it is their priority. Just because they share the same name, do you think the people working in Chanel's perfume department are also designing watches or shoes? No. Each aspect of the company is probably quite compartmentalized. So, for those in the fragrance department, it is the same for them as it is for Creed. Fragrances are their priority.

In fact, I give Creed even more credit for only coming out with 1 new masculine release if fragrance is all they do - it shows they take each release seriously - and that they are not just shoving some silly flanker or me-too fragrance out the door.

Creed does not even compare to Guerlain in any shape or form.
    Based on what? Your personal tastes? Creed's top 10 would not only compare with Guerlain, but (based on Basenoters "top 10") would quite certainly dominate Guerlain. If Guerlain is more your style, that's fine, but to say Creed doesn't compare is ridiculous.

Banned
    Blog Entries

a true men'soriental and gourmand would be a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    I'd personally like to see a good leather from Creed. I know REL is out there but it's been discontinued, and though I've never gotten my hands on it I'd imagine that the fragrance from the 1700's, while classy as f***, might smell a bit odd in today's market.
    From the 1700's? There are meritorious rumors according to which REL was created WAY before that, as Egyptian mummies used to be embalmed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    From the 1700's? There are meritorious rumors according to which REL was created WAY before that, as Egyptian mummies used to be embalmed in it.
    Hahaha, well played, and if that were indeed the case you would certainly prove my point. I want to smell like new high class leather, not embalming fluid. Ergo, maybe Creed could consider a leather frag.

Coffee would be a wonderful idea to play around with.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. The other reason could be they they are just.... lazy. Not much 'logic' involved there. As Chopwet has stated you are not comparing like with like regarding Chanel.

To the perfumers in the Chanel company it is their priority. Just because they share the same name, do you think the people working in Chanel's perfume department are also designing watches or shoes? No. Each aspect of the company is probably quite compartmentalized. So, for those in the fragrance department, it is the same for them as it is for Creed. Fragrances are their priority.

In fact, I give Creed even more credit for only coming out with 1 new masculine release if fragrance is all they do - it shows they take each release seriously - and that they are not just shoving some silly flanker or me-too fragrance out the door.

Based on what? Your personal tastes? Creed's top 10 would not only compare with Guerlain, but (based on Basenoters "top 10") would quite certainly dominate Guerlain. If Guerlain is more your style, that's fine, but to say Creed doesn't compare is ridiculous.
    No need for me to repeat points that are made so succinctly, except to say that I agree with everything here. I realize Creed brings some of the negativity on itself -- really, I do -- but at the end of the day it makes great scents.

And it is an undeniable fact that there are a lot of basenoters who think Creed can do nothing right. Releases just a few scents? It's lazy. It's resting on its laurels. Releases more? It's denigrating its classics by rushing out too many scents.

It's like George Carlin said once: whatever speed you're at on the road is the only correct speed. Somebody drives past you: "That guy's a maniac! Drive slower!" Somebody is in front of you: "This guy's a moron! Drive faster!"
    Current Top Five:

Oh dear. I really thought Chanel's perfumers were also master watchmakers and leather-workers. Are you absolutely sure they aren't?

Sarcasm aside. The point it that it is not just a perfume company and although the work might be important to the perfumers, the company as a whole deals with many different departments. You cannot just isolate one aspect of the company. That is why I would never expect as much from Chanel even though they have a great reputation when it comes to fragrances. I would never expect Creed to churn out a decent dress, or a handbag, or sunglasses etc.

I don't give Creed much credit at all. I've tried three of their fragrances and I was left completely unimpressed. They lack dynamism and perfume is the only business they have to take care of as a company. Their prices and the variations are a complete joke, this reveals a company that has takes little care over the details while charging big money for shoddy workmanship despite claiming to be master perfumers for many decades (or is it centuries?). Surely the kings and queens they served would have had their heads for such fripperies? Their high prices ensure they remain exclusive and it allows their buyers who are that way inclined to walk around with a smug air of superiority while smelling very average. Although I have to admit that Aventus did smell quite good but it's not worth the price of admission. For the same price there are far more special fragrances, for less too.

Yes of course this is all based on my opinion. I'm writing all of this so that should be obvious. Otherwise I would state where I'm getting these ideas from.

If you ask any serious perfumistas to give you some names of truly great perfumes that have been significant, I would be willing to bet that Guerlains feature while Creeds do not.

In the end I've learned that Creed inspires strong emotions and there are few fence sitters.

Hahaha

Don't forget:
    - honey harvested with bare hands from bee hives situated near the tip of a Mount Stromboli
    LOL!

Saki, hand collected from the mustachios of drunk Samurai.
    Salt, carefully harvested from the tears of seals watching the arctic ice melt from global warming.

Basenotes Plus

Batch control planned by the ghost of W. Edwards Deming.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Salt, carefully harvested from the tears of seals watching the arctic ice melt from global warming.
    HIMALAYAN salt, no less which, combined with the seals factor, translates into a miracle event compared to which the birth of Moses, Jesus and Muhammad are just minor stains on a Creed-determined world history.

Quote Originally Posted by endlesslysurprised View Post
    himalayan salt, no less which, combined with the seals factor, translates into a miracle event compared to which the birth of moses, jesus and muhammad are just minor stains on a creed-determined world history.
    lol!