Code of Conduct

Thread: A good fig

Default A good fig

I've been looking for a good rendering of fig and have so far tried:

- Marc Jacobs for men: nice but tries to apologize for being a fig by being too soft and "nice", like a fig leaf cut into a circle.
    - Diptyque Philosykos: a true fig leaf, which is a little too harsh and ashy to my nose. Almost makes me choke for a split second.
    - L'Artisan Premier Figuier Extreme: Similar to Philosykos to my nose with noticeable sandalwood.
    - Serge Lutens Bios et Fruits: I've been fooled into thinking this has fig in it. Couldn't find fig.

And today I tried what I think may be the best fig to my nose: Heeley's Figuier. This is a mature, sweet fig with hints of green grass and what smells like cucumber to me. The musk base and the rhubarb opening give it its uniqueness.

This could either be a beach scent worn with a Hawaii shirt and sandals, or a suit and tie scent. Very nicely done.

What's your favorite fig?

Default Re: A good fig

I am not a huge fan of the note, but my favorite is Armani Privé Figuier Eden. By far the best of the ones I have tried.

Basenotes Member

Smelled lartisans premier figuier and also figuier by heeley. Between the two, I preferred heeleys figuier

Ineke Hothouse Flower.

The sweet fig fruit in Un Jardin Mediterranee by Hermes.

Last edited by DanielPlainview; 21st April 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the note
    I can sometimes relate. Fig to me requires a certain mood. It can be made easier on the senses when layered with something sharp like pomegranate or honey suckle, in my opinion.

JC

The Diptyque does it nicely.

I don't like sweet, meaty fig scents, but I like Heeley's Figuier. It's dry and green and quite a realistic fig leaf. It's stark and very focused. My partner is also fond of Ninfeo Mio, which adds a nice citrus top note to a very subtle, green fig.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 21st April 2013 at 02:32 AM.

I'm not an expert in this category, but Salvatore Ferragamo PH is a very nice woody fig fragrance in a super-cool bottle that can be had for very little money. I can't imagine that any man looking for fig fragrances would be sorry to add this one to his wardrobe.

Richard by M Micallef does fig well.

Try Davidoff's Good Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I can sometimes relate. Fig to me requires a certain mood. It can be made easier on the senses when layered with something sharp like pomegranate or honey suckle, in my opinion.

JC
    Interesting idea. I need to try that.

I can't really speak to any of these other fig scents already mentioned, but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed the fig frag named "Kadota" from my fellow perfumer Mike Storer.

His website is down, he's been revamping. But if you'd like a sample, I could send you one, and if you wanted a bottle, I would pass on the request to Mike....
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Jardin de Kerylos is my favorite.

Ill throw one in for Mother - by Opus Oils

Potent and very smooth take on fig and cocoa/chocolate.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...c-by-Opus-Oils

Apart from that my vote would be for Philosykos
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I prefer sweet fig smells, the fruit rather than the leaves. So as well as the Hermes mentioned above, I like Fico di Amalfi.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    The sweet fig fruit in Un Jardin Mediterranee by Hermes.

This also gets my vote from the frags I've tried - it has a radiant 'perfumey' edge to it as well as fig.

I'm also looking for a good fig fragrance and I'm busy testing them all. I liked Diptyque Philosykos but found it a bit weak as I did L'Artisan Premier Figuier Extreme.

I placed an order for Heeley's Figuier, but after seeing all the great suggestions above I cancelled it and ordered more samples instead

Salvatore Ferragamo PH, Good Life and Dune PH are my favourite fig leaf scents, in that order.
    Regards,
    Renato

How does the Ferragamo compare to the Dune, if I may ask? I am wearing Dune PH today but am interested in the other; would owning both be redundant?

Premier Figuier (Extrème) by L'Artisan Parfumeur (I find both versions quite different), followed by Philosykos and Jardin de Kerylos.

Other nice fig fragrances:
    Flagrant Délice by Terry de Gunzburg
    Wild Fig an Cassis by Jo Malone
    Ichnusa by Profumum Roma
    Bois Naufgragé by PG

I beg you to sample the HERMES before deciding. Jardin Mediterranee is everything you need.

Basenotes Plus

An inexpensive option (considering all the others that have been mentioned) is the original John Varvatos.

Not overly sweet but definitely not dry either, smooth, very natural smelling, has both the fig fruit and the leaf. Masculine, as there's a hint of leather in the base, sort of reminiscent of a soft leather jacket (ie: not a strong biker jacket scent, just very light interpretation of leather, or perhaps suede). The base has nice light woody accord too (sandalwood?) which works great.

It's an underappreciated little gem, flying under the radar as its not niche nor an expensive designer option. I like it a lot.

As mentioned Un Jardin Mediterranee and Jardin de Kerylos, plus Verveine Figuier by Phaedon.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I can't really speak to any of these other fig scents already mentioned, but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed the fig frag named "Kadota" from my fellow perfumer Mike Storer.

His website is down, he's been revamping. But if you'd like a sample, I could send you one, and if you wanted a bottle, I would pass on the request to Mike....
    Thanks for the offer, pkiler. I've made an order on some more samples so I don't want to overwhelm myself I'll get in touch with you if none of the samples turn out good.

JC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I beg you to sample the HERMES before deciding. Jardin Mediterranee is everything you need.
    LOL! It's on my sample list. Couldn't resist the idea of a mediterranean garden scent. Theperfumedcourt will probably take two sloooow weeks to get it to me. Ah well, what's life without the anxiety of anticipation?

JC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I prefer sweet fig smells, the fruit rather than the leaves. So as well as the Hermes mentioned above, I like Fico di Amalfi.
    On my sample list I completely agree that the fruit smells better than the leaf. Moreover, most people who are allergic to fig are allergic to the waxy coating of the leaves, not to the meat of the fruit.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    An inexpensive option (considering all the others that have been mentioned) is the original John Varvatos.

Not overly sweet but definitely not dry either, smooth, very natural smelling, has both the fig fruit and the leaf. Masculine, as there's a hint of leather in the base, sort of reminiscent of a soft leather jacket (ie: not a strong biker jacket scent, just very light interpretation of leather, or perhaps suede). The base has nice light woody accord too (sandalwood?) which works great.

It's an underappreciated little gem, flying under the radar as its not niche nor an expensive designer option. I like it a lot.
    Yup. This isn't my favorite scent, but I do like it and I've been complimented while wearing it. To me, it's more plum/fig with spice and booze.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

I've actually just finished a bottle of this. What I smell in it is tamarind. I grew up drinking tamarind drink so this was very familiar to me. I agree that it's very nice, and women love it, but the longevity is poor on my skin. Wish JV would make EDP versions of JV and Artisan.

Kokrico

Costume National Homme (EDP). Dominant juicy fig note with dry woods in the background. Huge staying power and sillage with obvious quality. It's my girlfriends favourite out all my fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplainview View Post
    the sweet fig fruit in un jardin mediterranee by hermes.

^^^this!

Have you tried Dior Dune pour homme, that has a strong fig build-up

I agree with Salvatore Ferragamo pH, as I own a bottle. Bought it on sale, couldn't pass up on the price.. didn't care for it at first. But it really grew on me. It smells similar to Ralph Lauren Romance Silver, but with a greener fig note. Salvatore is a spicy woody fig scent, very versatile.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Fico di Amalfi

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm not an expert in this category, but Salvatore Ferragamo PH is a very nice woody fig fragrance in a super-cool bottle that can be had for very little money. I can't imagine that any man looking for fig fragrances would be sorry to add this one to his wardrobe.
    Yes

Another vote for Jardin de Kerylos. All of the others that I've tried have been too sweet and too coconut-like for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Ill throw one in for Mother - by Opus Oils

Potent and very smooth take on fig and cocoa/chocolate.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...c-by-Opus-Oils

Apart from that my vote would be for Philosykos

Good Call!
    Mother by Opus Oil is a great Fig Gourmand frag

Highly recommend!
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Seconding Fico di Amalfi

I like Heeley Figuier, it has a very nice melon note, as opposed to the coconut/floral feeling of Philosykos (which I also like).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Another vote for Jardin de Kerylos. All of the others that I've tried have been too sweet and too coconut-like for me.
    Been wondering about this one. Drier and not as sweet? Very tempting. Philosykos was way too foody for me. The Jardin en Mediterranee won me over with it nice balance of dry and fruity.

Expound, please on Jardin de Kerylos - I'm all ears!

Ok - I received four new samples today for my figventure:

- Ineke Hothouse Flower, proposed by JiveHippo. Not even a fig scent. It simply has a fig accord to try to reproduce gardenia. Not sure if it was suggested as a joke or not. Decidedly feminine to my nose.

- Acqua Di Parma Fico di Amalfi: A soapy fig. Very round and soft. More apologetic than Marc Jacobs for men.

- Armani Prive Figuier Eden: My favorite of the four. Very nice for a formal suit-and-tie men's fragrance. Fig here is the means, not the cause. Unfortunately, my cause is fig.

- Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee: Fig laced with a ton of lemon leaf. Unfortunately, the dry down is a completely different fragrance that has nothing to go with either fig or citrus.

I dunno.. Neither of the four above is bottle worthy to me. Even Heeley's Figuier about which I was quite enthusiastic lost its appeal to me. I think I'm going to give my fig quest a rest, at least for now. I'll be looking for a good forest/pine scent instead for the time being.

JC

treeman5823

Best figs: Premier Figuier (L'Artisan), Figuier (Heeley), Philosykos (Diptyque). You won't be disappointed.

Un Jardin Mediterranee

- Ineke Hothouse Flower, proposed by JiveHippo. Not even a fig scent. It simply has a fig accord to try to reproduce gardenia. Not sure if it was suggested as a joke or not. Decidedly feminine to my nose.
    Rest assured my suggestion was not meant to be a joke. Hothouse Flower lists fig as a note, and smells predominantly of fig so I'm not sure why it's "not even a fig scent" to you. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

Armani Privé Figuier Eden

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Been wondering about this one. Drier and not as sweet? Very tempting. Philosykos was way too foody for me. The Jardin en Mediterranee won me over with it nice balance of dry and fruity.

Expound, please on Jardin de Kerylos - I'm all ears!
    The juiciness of JdK comes more from broken leaves, than fruits. It dries down quite woody. In the same vein you will find Ichnusa by Profumum Roma, a bit sharper.
    Try the EdP version of Philosykos, less foody.

Ok - I received four new samples today for my figventure:

- Acqua Di Parma Fico di Amalfi: A soapy fig. Very round and soft. More apologetic than Marc Jacobs for men.

- Armani Prive Figuier Eden: My favorite of the four. Very nice for a formal suit-and-tie men's fragrance. Fig here is the means, not the cause. Unfortunately, my cause is fig.

- Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee: Fig laced with a ton of lemon leaf. Unfortunately, the dry down is a completely different fragrance that has nothing to go with either fig or citrus.

I dunno.. Neither of the four above is bottle worthy to me. Even Heeley's Figuier about which I was quite enthusiastic lost its appeal to me. I think I'm going to give my fig quest a rest, at least for now. I'll be looking for a good forest/pine scent instead for the time being.

JC
    With this election I would be disappointed, too. The only one I find acceptable is the Armani fig, just because it is as elegant as the whole Privé line. But as a fig scent I find it mediocre.
    By the way, for me there was no fig in Hothouse Flower, too.
    You could also try Mediterranean Fig by Pacifica or Fig Tree by Sonoma Scent Studio. Both are more on the voluptuous side without being too sweet.
    Last edited by Graphite; 30th April 2013 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    Have you tried Dior Dune pour homme, that has a strong fig build-up
    Yes, I've read that that smell is allegedly fig but it smells absolutely nothing like fig at all - just a nasty soapy and aldehydic mess IMO.

Fico Di Amalfi! A wonderfull summer scent

My wife tried on Black Orchid the other day and we both said 'Fig!' Strong, overripe or dried fig dusted with cocoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    With this election I would be disappointed, too. The only one I find acceptable is the Armani fig, just because it is as elegant as the whole Privé line. But as a fig scent I find it mediocre.
    By the way, for me there was no fig in Hothouse Flower, too.
    You could also try Mediterranean Fig by Pacifica or Fig Tree by Sonoma Scent Studio. Both are more on the voluptuous side without being too sweet.
    Thanks! I will take note of these. By the way, I ended up ordering the Armani just because of how elegant it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Rest assured my suggestion was not meant to be a joke. Hothouse Flower lists fig as a note, and smells predominantly of fig so I'm not sure why it's "not even a fig scent" to you. I'm sorry you didn't like it.
    I'm sorry if my language came across as accusatory. I appreciate your suggestion and I do not regret ordering the sample at all

I mentioned early in this thread that my favorite fig was Armani, but I am wearing a great fragrance today - Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Vetiver. Fig is not the primary note, but it is quite prominent. An excellent fragrance that I would highly recommend if you like a light vetiver and fig.

I wont even mention my favorites because you have already dismissed them. Some really nice fig centric scents have been suggested, so in that regard your search for a fig scent resembles my search for a plum centric scent so I understand your frustration. Hope you find the one you seek!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Heeley's fig is very cool. Try Agarwood Heeley also, it's delicious. For the forest scent try slumberhouse. Get his sample pack. Best $20 I spend in a long while.

Just remembered smth. CB I hate perfume crushed fique leaf. He has it in double concentration absolute and it just might be what you are looking for.

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/premium-accord-shop.html
    http://nymag.com/nymag/strategist/askshopclerk/17252/
    Last edited by outline; 30th April 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I mentioned early in this thread that my favorite fig was Armani, but I am wearing a great fragrance today - Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Vetiver. Fig is not the primary note, but it is quite prominent. An excellent fragrance that I would highly recommend if you like a light vetiver and fig.
    Not a big fan of vetiver, but thank you for your recommendation of Armani - it is why I ordered the sample!

If you're in the UK it might be worth checking out Jane Packer's Fig based perfume. Smells a lot like Philosykos to me. Longevity not great but worth a stab as you can buy it on discount for £14.99/50ml if you google search. masterofstyle recently reviewed her whole line on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I wont even mention my favorites because you have already dismissed them. Some really nice fig centric scents have been suggested, so in that regard your search for a fig scent resembles my search for a plum centric scent so I understand your frustration. Hope you find the one you seek!
    Out of curiosity, what plum scents have you sampled so far? I might start looking for a plum scent soon. My wife has Aqua Fiorentina and it smells wonderful, but too feminine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Heeley's fig is very cool. Try Agarwood Heeley also, it's delicious. For the forest scent try slumberhouse. Get his sample pack. Best $20 I spend in a long while.

Just remembered smth. CB I hate perfume crushed fique leaf. He has it in double concentration absolute and it just might be what you are looking for.

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/premium-accord-shop.html
    http://nymag.com/nymag/strategist/askshopclerk/17252/
    Thanks! I'll add that to my sample list.

Here is the thread on plum. I now have Frank #2 but the plum is not very strong. Good scent just not what I consider to be strong on plum. Still searching...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/360...es)?highlight=
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Sorry for bumping this thread up again but I just have to say that Armani's Figuier Eden is very good. I accidentally poured the entire 1ml sample on my neck this morning, then got several compliments for it at work. I generally stay away from EDTs but this one has good projection and longevity. Definitely worth a try.