Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Can Anyone Give Me Their Impression of Chanel Le Exclusifs"Jersey"?

I was just reading a blog and heard about Jersey being in the Chanel Le Exclusifs' line. I am just learning more and more about feminine frags and did not know about Jersey! I must say I need to catch up on some reading!
    Does anyone have a short review of Jersey they could share with me?

southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Default Re: Can Anyone Give Me Their Impression of Chanel Le Exclusifs"Jersey"?

I have a special fondness for Jersey, but that's a personal thing.

Jersey seems to be one of the most controversial perfumes in the line. It is a lavender enrobed in a sweet, fuzzy material - not sure which one. It does give exactly the impression of the softness and woolliness (? does the word exist) of the material it takes the name from. It is not a purely fresh masculine lavender - and in fact many people dislike it because they find it too sweet.

However, it resonated with me because, upon first smelling it, my brain immediately responded "pear juice". It reminded me clearly of the pear juices many European kids like me used to drink by the bottle (back then, they were seen by many parents as more healthy than American sodas). It had the same silkiness and velvet texture of such drinks, and the lavender did provide some of the freshness that those pear juices had (which makes one wonder whether they were not flavored with some similar substance). This comfort food (or better drink) aspect generated an instant love. But people raised in the US cannot understand.

In any case, it is worth smelling. It is not cloying, but it is sweet, so you need to like some sweetness.

cacio

Did not resonate with me at all: entirely boring, non-descript floral, done in Hermessences style, with no projection or longevity. For similar, but better, vibe please go with another sweet lavender: Eau de Cartier.

It struck me as a light riff on Pour Un Homme (Caron) with the Chanel showroom sophistication quotient - quite a sheer scent. Much like their Cologne in the same series, it came across as understated, polite and extremely well put together however a little lacking in character. There's a Chanel across the road from my office and I have tried it several times and while there is nothing to dislike about it, I just can't see any need to own it - again, much like the Cologne.

I find it very prim and proper. Great office scent and good for summer. I enjoyed the decant I got. I think I still have some left, but I don't see me reaching for it during winter.
    Evenstar

I bought a 10ml decant a while back. Its soft clean lavender and vanilla.
    DONNA

The 'fabric softner/ laundry detergent' associations were too strong for me.
    Not a bad scent, per se, but not terribly exciting either. There are many others in the line I prefer, and many other lavenders I would buy before it.
    Together with beige, it is one of the Exclusifs which is seldom mentioned around here.

Actually, the lavender didn't stay on my skin. I could feel it in the beginning, but it quickly morphed into something that strongly resembled the base of Chanel 19 Poudre. It is, overall, a very soft fragrance. After I tested it, I admit I have not been tempted to revisit it.

Jersey is one I found utterly boring and "meh" at first. Then I went back to my dab- on sample some weeks later and bought it on impulse because I didn't have a go-to lavender scent in my inventory.

Then I sprayed my new bottle on and whoa! It was love at first sniff! (Spraying or dabbing obviously can make or break a scent...)

You know what comes to mind with Jersey? Prada's Iris. Its very powdery, fuzzy, smooth, woodsy and clean in that respect. Gorgeous, velvety lavender that seems to conform to the skin and breathe. Its a little vegetal as well, I get a whiff of something mushroom-y which shifts into sheer woods as it dries down- some powdery vanilla to sweeten the deal.
    In fact, now that I think about it, its like a lovechild of No.22 and Prada Iris with the addition of some top notch apothecary lavender.

I feel this fragrance is terribly misunderstood and some kind of witchery must be going on because the sample I dabbed on (from STC) was a lot more boring and didn't have the lovely powder monster lurking in there. Just looking at the responses so far, its fascinating that it can be interpreted so many different ways.

I'm in love with it, and that's coming from someone who originally wrote it off and bought it out of boredom.