Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Djedi on eBay

AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Default Re: Guerlain Djedi on eBay

Around 1450 USD - I'm sure somebody will think that's a deal...

If I were the buyer I'd had a terrible, nightmare ridden time before it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Around 1450 USD - I'm sure somebody will think that's a deal...
    ...and not hesitate to snatch it up.

Dependent

sweet packaging

Holy cow, it finally went for GBP 1,738.88. Congratulations to the winner! ;-)

Dependent

Any idea how much it went for back in 96

wow 2600 big ones!!! wonder is a BNer got it lol

a golden needle in a haystack

$200-ish back in 96?
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    a golden needle in a haystack

$200-ish back in 96?
    $290 adjusted for inflation... great investment, about 9x appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Yes, and the OP is either one of the three:

1) The seller (very sneaky)
    2) A potential buyer (very, very stupid)
    3) A spectator (very inconsiderate)

Although I spotted the auction several days ago, I had no interest in acquiring it but was curious to see how much it would go for. I'm sure there are a few Basenoters who are pissed of with HDDP for the extra exposure that may have, effectively, priced them out of the auction (and the price did shoot up yesterday morning, prior to a steady increase).

Basenotes Plus

Probably even more than that.

If the seller can be believed, it was purchased at an Estate Sale or Auction, which if that is truly the case, probably paid darn near nothing for it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'm sure there are a few Basenoters who are pissed of with HDDP for the extra exposure that may have, effectively, priced them out of the auction (and the price did shoot up yesterday morning, prior to a steady increase).
    Or, the winner could be thankful for the heads up . . .

Basenotes Plus

I agree -

Basenotes is an open forum of sharing our common passion. Share as much as you like. I have passed on info to many Basenoters about great deals on bottles, even though I could have gone after them myself. I would rather see a member in this community get the precious juice, truly admire and enjoy it...and share their thoughts.

Plus - it's plain righteous.

Cheers.

ericrico

“Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Well, that's a 50/50 possibility, as they may have been watching it before this thread started. But, either way, they probably ended up paying more for it, thanks to this very thread.

Well, that's a 50/50 possibility, as they may have been watching it before this thread started. But, either way, they probably ended up paying more for it, thanks to this very thread.
    It's also a safe assumption that a person willing to drop that much cheddar on a fragrance is not going to sneeze at the ending price. If someone IS dropping money they don't have on fragrance...they may have deeper concerns than folks being alerted to said auction. My two cents.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Bigtruck260; 18th December 2012 at 06:40 PM.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I agree -

Basenotes is an open forum of sharing our common passion. Share as much as you like. I have passed on info to many Basenoters about great deals on bottles, even though I could have gone after them myself. I would rather see a member in this community get the precious juice, truly admire and enjoy it...and share their thoughts.

Plus - it's plain righteous.

Cheers.

ericrico
    There was a time when this was very true - actually years before you joined. But the community has grown too large and things have changed a lot since then. I'm not saying you shouldn't share but this was an auction with, obviously, one possible winner. If someone really wanted that Djedi, they should have had it as a saved search in their ebay account.

While you would "rather see a member in this community get the precious juice", I would much rather see it going to a deserving home (Basenoter or not), period. This is all about putting yourself in other people's shoes. Would you have appreciated losing out on an auction because a 'spectator' broadcasted it to an international forum?

The only type of person that wouldn't have been affected by this is someone with money to burn. And, the last time I checked, not everyone here is filthy rich. Btw, making baseless assumptions doesn't it alright.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtruck260 View Post
    It's also a safe assumption that a person willing to drop that much cheddar on a fragrance is not going to sneeze at the ending price. If someone IS dropping money they don't have on fragrance...they may have deeper concerns than folks being alerted to said auction. My two cents.
    There may have been someone out there who had a limit and could have won the auction, if it wasn't for this thread. All this thread did was sensationalise the auction, while drastically changing the odds.
    Last edited by Trebor; 18th December 2012 at 06:47 PM.

There may have been someone out there who had a limit and could have won the auction, if it wasn't for this thread. All this thread did was sensationalise the auction, while drastically changing the odds.
    Touché...I gotcha. I've seen it happen in other auctions where people will bid on something because of the perceived investment...and it's re-listed a few months later and sold at a much lower price. Meanwhile, someone who had been searching for years missed out on something they truly wanted for their collection.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtruck260 View Post
    Touché...I gotcha. I've seen it happen in other auctions where people will bid on something because of the perceived investment...and it's re-listed a few months later and sold at a much lower price. Meanwhile, someone who had been searching for years missed out on something they truly wanted for their collection.
    Exactly! This thread has effectively shafted some ebayers who have been actively searching for this rare Guerlain.

There's a huge difference between tipping-off personal contacts interested in owning Djedi (absolutely nothing wrong with that) and proclaiming the auction to the entire world.

Basenotes Plus

I'm biting my nails waiting for it.

There's a huge difference between tipping-off personal contacts interested in owning Djedi (absolutely nothing wrong with that) and proclaiming the auction to the entire world.
    Whenever I mention finding bargains I do just that. Mention them, stating the price and what it is, not where it's selling. No links. If someone wants to PM me for the link, then I'll happily give it (as happened recently when I found Worth Pour Homme HC selling for $13, verified genuine as I bought two bottles myself)

Even setting auctions aside. There can be issues with supply or stock drying up. A limited number of saught after fragrances at bargain prices will dissapear in an instant if a reseller catches wind of them. Moreover with fixed prices sometimes it takes people time to raise funds.