• The best is PdN, New York

6 30.00%
  • Contemporary still!

1 5.00%
  • Out-of-date

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tiffany for Men/ Chanel Pour Monsieur/New York

I must be in the minority here. I own both Chanel Pour Monsieur (who knows which vintage, im sure its been relatively newly made) as well as Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. They each have their merits and I like them both. I could not care less about finding an old vintage bottle from the 80s, Im sure it's nice, but I am just as satisifed with what I have. It suits me. I guess it's just constantly annoying to hear the elders lament the old Chanel Pour Monsieur that is only found in the annuals of our minds (and perhaps carefully on ebay lol).

That being said, I find Tiffany For Men to be strikingly similat to Chanel Pour Monsieur CONCENTREE (rectangular bottle) and not the Chanel Pour Monsieur (square bottle). I personally find the CPMC to be a lot easier to wear than the TFM. I'ts just not as harsh and to me a bit smoother. My opinion. But there does seem to be a contingent of Anti CPMC people on this forum, when it's actually a very beautiful frarance. IMO.

Default Re: Tiffany for Men/ Chanel Pour Monsieur/New York

Quote Originally Posted by vertatre View Post
    I must be in the minority here. I own both Chanel Pour Monsieur (who knows which vintage, im sure its been relatively newly made) as well as Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. They each have their merits and I like them both. I could not care less about finding an old vintage bottle from the 80s, Im sure it's nice, but I am just as satisifed with what I have. It suits me. I guess it's just constantly annoying to hear the elders lament the old Chanel Pour Monsieur that is only found in the annuals of our minds (and perhaps carefully on ebay lol).
    Glad you're enjoying the current version as is your right and privilege

And I'm sure the IFRA and Chanel are fully aware that as you haven't experienced the original version and seem to be perfectly happy to pay for a diminished version (which is not to say it's BAD - just "less than") that they can carry on as if nothing happened. They are banking on a new generation who don't know better - don't take that personally, it's a just a fact of business.

Companies could probably also make the argument that the newer version is more 'of the moment and reflects what our modern audience are looking for in a fragrance in these dynamic times' etc. etc. Employ that approach with the unspoken backhander of 'old lady/old guy smell eeewwww' which you hear from the kids who post here from time to time and it's easy enough to consign full bodied compositions containing quality ingredients to the scrapheap of history and come out of it looking like you are doing the world a favour. Post rationalistion with a bit of new generational inclusive spin is a wonderful thing

I don't think it's a coincidence that PM Concentree & Tiffany for Men Feel similar, as Jacques Polges created them both in 1989 - it must have been fun for him riffing on that idea. As long as Tiffany for Men maintains it's current heft it gets my vote out of the two, it seems to be the only one left standing.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th December 2012 at 01:54 AM.