Code of Conduct

Default Love / Hate: Why (thoughts on fragrant black sheep)

This thread has a simple concept. I'll throw out some fragrances names - things that don't get talked about a lot - and you guys do so too so we can find out what other BNers think of them. Do you love it, hate it or are you ambivilent, and why? A few lines explanation could be very helpful to other members. Just to note as well I'm starting this thread to get opinions on fragrances that are generally overlooked by reviewers so please don't ask people how they feel about Aventus, Terre d'Hermes, La Nuit, Le Male, A*men, etc. There are a wealth of fantastic reviews out there for such fragrances. Otherwise feel free to forward any scent or any number of scents, masculine femenine or unisex, that you like; the more the merrier as the larger the selection the better chance that we'll find people familiar with them who want to give their thoughts.

Also feel free to pick and choose out of those scents suggested, and give your thoughts on whichever you please, and go ahead and talk about whatever you want. Notes, bottle, idea, theme, value, compliments, anything.

My suggestions (if anyone is interested in giving us their thoughts on them) are as follows:

VC&A's Eau du Tsar, Lanvin's Avant Garde, Molinard Homme II, Molinard Vanille & Vanille Marine, CK One Shock for Her, Givenchy's Into the Blue, Oscar de la Renta Fresh Vanilla, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Dunhill 51.3N, Chopard's Noble Cedar, Noble Vetiver and Chopard Homme, Chloe eau de Fluers Capucine, Montana's Graphite, and Montale's Sandflowers. I don't think any of these fragrances has more than ten reviews, some none, most less than five.

Feel free to list some of your own (and I'll comment if I've smelled 'em, or someone else can) or detail your thoughts on one of those, or anything else that gets listed.
    Last edited by Miket; 18th December 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Default Re: Love / Hate: Why (thoughts on fragrant black sheep)

Guerlain Cologne du 68 is very nice but I think it gets shadowed by other slightly more modern and more complex perfumes like Eau du Cologne Imperiale or Cologne du Coq.

What I think are hidden gems:

Fleurs du Sel - Miller Harris
    Hasu No Hana and Phul Na Na by Grossmith

for swap/sale:

Sadly I can't say I've smelled either of these or I'd happily offer my thoughts. I don't think many of those I listed would qualify as hidden gems, except one or two, but I do find most wearable and often cannot fathom the really savage reviews I see floating around.

Guerlain Cologne du 68 is very nice but I think it gets shadowed by other slightly more modern and more complex perfumes like Eau du Cologne Imperiale or Cologne du Coq.
    I agree with completely. Guerlain has such a massive range, and things need to have a big wow-factor to stand out in such a huge lineup. I also think the tame sillage is another factor. I've lost count of how many scents I've seen given a thumbs down just because they're not loud. I own a bottle of this one though and will probably get another. It definately has its place for me even if I have trouble elaborating on what that place is.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What I think are hidden gems:

Would have to agree about Fleurs du Sel. It's interesting and unique. Don't know the Grossmith ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    My suggestions (if anyone is interested in giving us their thoughts on them) are as follows:

VC&A's Eau du Tsar, Lanvin's Avant Garde, Molinard Homme II, Molinard Vanille & Vanille Marine, CK One Shock for Her, Givenchy's Into the Blue, Oscar de la Renta Fresh Vanilla, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Dunhill 51.3N, Chopard's Noble Cedar, Noble Vetiver and Chopard Homme, Chloe eau de Fluers Capucine, Montana's Graphite, and Montale's Sandflowers. I don't think any of these fragrances has more than ten reviews, some none, most less than five.
    Have all of the ones listed above except the Chloe & the CK One Shock for Her. I like them all especially the two Chopard fragrances.

Have all of the ones listed above except the Chloe & the CK One Shock for Her. I like them all especially the two Chopard fragrances.
    Shock for Her gave me nothing but dusty dark chocolate, and it was quite strong contrary to reviews. The bitterness of the chocolate smell made it feel quite masculine. I'm surprised by how little love this recieves compared to Shock for Him.