Code of Conduct

Default Best book on perfume making: a gift for someone that wants to DIY perfume

Which one would you recommend as a x-mas gift for someone that loves to wear niche/indie fragrances and is genuinely interested in perfume making but not so much in the science, chemistry or history?

Max budget 50 euro. English, French or Dutch.

I'm totally biased so I can't choose

Thanks!
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Default Re: Best book on perfume making: a gift for someone that wants to DIY perfume

See the Amazon Link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk//gp/offer-li...=bf-dt-home-21

I think the Best book is the Tony Curtis Book, "An Introduction to Perfumery". and if you follow the link, there is one copy for 2 cents American, or 1 Penny Sterling. There's also other copies for less money than 50 Euros too, if that one is sold already...

Paul Kiler
    Last edited by socalwoman; 19th January 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Default Re: Best book on perfume making: a gift for someone that wants to DIY perfume

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    See the Amazon Link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk//gp/offer-li...=bf-dt-home-21

I think the Best book is the Tony Curtis Book, "An Introduction to Perfumery". and if you follow the link, there is one copy for 2 cents American, or 1 Penny Sterling. There's also other copies for less money than 50 Euros too, if that one is sold already...

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    Wow, now that's a bargain. That book is an absolute treasure-trove of information and well worth even 50 euros. It is, however, quite heavy on the science, chemistry, history and, in particular, business of perfumery.

Though I haven't read it, I think maybe the Mandy Aftel book Essence and Alchemy might be more in line with what you're looking for.

That is a bargain, Paul, thank you: I'll ask if they ship outside the UK!

Although I love this book, I have to agree with Renegade, it might be a tad on the heavy side. I didn't read Mandy Aftel's either, but I heard it is a bit 'new age-y' and not really practical.
    I was really looking for a practical book with formula's and nice pics
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

I've read Aftel's book. Interesting, but as said it doesn't really give precise recipes, it's more generic, and it is mostly about naturals.

cacio

Actually, I think Mandy Aftel's book will be excellent. In fact it *does* take the reader through a precise recipe--i.e. precise enough for a beginner. It was my first book, and I found it very inspiring. It's full of practical suggestions and ideas about how to get started. The appendix has lists of starter materials and equipment. I strongly recommend Essence and Alchemy. It is true that it is entirely about natural ingredients. But what's wrong with that--again--for a beginner. Might as well START with naturals, and then the person can always go to synthetics. Better to know what all the natural ingredients smell like BEFORE seeing how the man-made materials mimic or modify them in various ways.

Thank you all so far for the recommendations. I won't go for Mandy's book, simply because imho available naturals in small quantities are such a scam, my friend could just as well smell fragrance oils for much less money.

I think I'm going for something from hekserij.nl (parfum bouwdoos) or put an educational kit and formulas together myself adding a nice coffee table book like
    http://www.amazon.com/Perfume-The-Ar.../dp/0792273788
    Last edited by Irina; 18th December 2012 at 06:32 AM.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    That is a bargain, Paul, thank you: I'll ask if they ship outside the UK!

Although I love this book, I have to agree with Renegade, it might be a tad on the heavy side. I didn't read Mandy Aftel's either, but I heard it is a bit 'new age-y' and not really practical.
    I was really looking for a practical book with formula's and nice pics
    “Des Parfums à faire soi-même” (french) or “A Arte dos Perfumes” (portuguese) - Nicolas de Barry

I do not know if there is an English translation.

It’s about fifty recipes. Not only perfumes but also candles, bath salts, soaps, shampoos, etc.

It’s one option to Mandy’s book. Less story and more practice. But it is also about natural perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by Luís Carlos View Post
    “Des Parfums à faire soi-même” (french) or “A Arte dos Perfumes” (portuguese) - Nicolas de Barry

I do not know if there is an English translation.

It’s about fifty recipes. Not only perfumes but also candles, bath salts, soaps, shampoos, etc.

It’s one option to Mandy’s book. Less story and more practice. But it is also about natural perfumery.
    Looks nice, thank you for the rec! I see they still sell it on their website, see if I can get more reviews on it.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com