Code of Conduct

Default Farina 1709 Eau de Cologne Original

Cologne, or eau de cologne, refers to the perfume that was made by the Italian perfume designer and maker, Johann Maria Farina, in Cologne, Germany after he left Valle Vigezzo, Italy. The fragrance dates back to 1709. In a letter to his brother, Farina wrote:
    "I have discovered a scent that reminds me of a spring morning in Italy, of mountain narcissus, orange blossom just after the rain. It gives me great refreshment, strengthens my senses and imagination."
    The company that Farina founded, Johann Maria Farina gegenuber dem Julichs-Platz, still exists today and sells the original cologne: http://www.farina1709.com/.

With this story, and the passion for fragrances in your community here on Basenotes, I want to ask: did you buy the original cologne, Farina 1709 Eau de Cologne Original from Johann Maria Farina gegenuber dem Julichs-Platz? (Surprisingly there are only nine reviews in the fragrance directory for this three-hundred year old fragrance.) If so, what are your thoughts of the original cologne as the starting cologne for anyone other than a casual fragrance user? Surely for the non-casual user there is historic value in owning and using a bottle of the original.

Lastly, as Farina's Web site looks a bit out-dated, is it safe to purchase Farina 1709 Eau de Cologne Original from there? If not purchasing from Farina's Web site, can you recommend where one could purchase the original cologne?

Thank you Basenotes community.
    Last edited by itde; 18th December 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Default Re: Farina 1709 Eau de Cologne Original

I have been using this for over 10 yrs now and have bought the bottles in the boutique many times- there is an actual boutique in Cologne. From what I can gather, it is a wonderfully fresh citrus cologne with a slightly sweet floral musky drydown - extremely pleasant and not something you want to ponder over what the ingredients are except that it is a great summer scent for the whole year round - very uplifting. It is never intrusive and no matter how much you apply, it is never in your face overpowering in strength. The bottle sizes and shapes vary - the one above comes as a sort of collector's edition with a wooden box, the other bottle designs vary in very simple boxes, I have the 125 and 200 ml bottles - refillabble spray bottles. As a cologne, it is great for its purpose and as such, not something you spray on to last the whole day - don't forget this was created in an era where it might not have been acceptable to use something overpowering to last for hours and as the concept goes, it is meant to represent a spring morning full of citrus and sweet floral notes. If you are familiar with 4711, this is nothing similar to it and would last a little longer. While these two companies vary so much for the same sort of concept for a fragrance, I am happy that both have their places in history - as we all know that 4711 is more widely known and their flagship boutique has a cologne fountain where you can use liberally to refresh yourself as you enter the shop - they also do have a range of 4711 Ice cologne that is ever so refreshing in the heat. The 4711 Aqua Colonia range offers such a lovely twist and addition to the world of colognes and the lasting power is surprisingly good. As a matter of interest, there is a statue of Farina himself built as a tribute at the town hall building amongst other prominent people in Cologne. There is also a range of Zodiac fragrances from Tina Farina - related to Farina - separate ranges for men and for women, very interesting fragrances as well sold in the same boutique. Not to get too sidetracked, the other Farina fragrance Russisch Leder (Russian leather in German) is also a wonderful soft, powdery and very masculin scent.

I have been using Farina 1709 Eau de Cologne Original by Johann Maria Farina gegenuber dem Julichs-Platz regularly. It is very refreshing, as described by Johann Maria Farina himself. It came to me with much surprise that Cologne has not been discussed more by Basenotes users, as one surely cannot call himself a fragrance aficionado without having tried, at least once, the one and only original.

For those that enjoy the original Cologne, I recommend, also initially from the Farina family, Jean-Marie Farina Eau de Cologne by Roger&Gallet. It is similarly refreshing but a bit stronger. The other fragrance from Johann Maria Farina gegenuber dem Julichs-Platz, Russisch Leder, is quite unique. I enjoy this one too and have not seen anything similar that is readily available.

Never used nor even tested this so far, but I'd would love to do so asap, since I am classic EDC fan anyway.

Had an opportunity to test this years back but passed on it.