Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Dependent

Default Re: Anyone surviving on only decants and samples?

I have a nice mix. Around 30 full bottles, around 20 decants and around 50 samples.

I sample niche. If I like a frag after atleast 6 wears in 6 months i'll get the bottle. It's not that often, but haven't been dissappointed. I really don't want 30+ bottles so this keeps things neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    Around half of my collections are decants, especially niche, vintage, or hard-to-find ones.

If I bought all my scents in FW, I would have been broke & homeless.
    I have the same combination (almost) too! Crazy!

i have very little of a sample i got from ebay of john varvatos 10th anniversary left i really love this one tho pretty much the same boat

I usually sample first. Then decant if it is expensive and then if i really like it buy the bottle and keep it.

I like the idea of decanting but can not really do it,
    Because so far all the decants I have get less attention from me,
    I really do not why, let alone the samples of which
    I have 100's from almost all houses.

Basenotes Member

When I started to get addicted, I started off by buying bottles. I now probably have 15 bottles, some are worn more than others. As I started wanting to try more and more of the niche scents, I started getting more and more decants. A 10 ml decant is a pretty good amount to get really acquainted with the fragrance. If I go through the 10 ml and really miss having it, then I'll buy the bottle. So far, in the past year I haven't even gotten through a single 10 ml decant, and many of these are scents I love and would surely consider full bottle worthy.

So, so far I'm pretty happy with the variety that decants allows me to have.

Yeah the economics of 100mL or even 50mL bottles don't make sense if you have more than a half dozen or so frags, unless for some reason you're planning to wear them and nothing else for the rest of your life.

That said I still buy 4oz bottles whenever I can and give 2mL samples/10mL decants if people really like what I'm wearing.

I was 'between jobs' for a few months in the nineties and lived on blagged samples then (oh the shame!) -- you have to get your priorities right don't you?

Wouldn't dream of it now though.

I only have 3 decants in my collection of 45+ bottles, which were way cheaper than purchasing the full bottles. I go for decants when the available retail bottles are all 100mls plus, or if the smaller bottles are ridiculously high prices per ml. I'd buy more decants if the ones I wanted were offered on basenotes.

I prefer full bottles, though I can't keep buying big bottles like I've done so far as I'll never get through them all!! I keep my bottles in their boxes, so ideally I would like a fleet of nice metal atomisers that I could fill as needed and use daily. Then air and light exposure would then be minimised for the full bottles. I travel every week, so carrying decants gives me the option of a variety of scents to use for 2-3 days away from home. If anyone knows where to get nice atomisers in the Uk, please tell me. Husband uses Muji but I need 50+ atomisers and they are pricey.

Banned
    Blog Entries

90% of my collection is decants and samples.

First, I'm a college student with a part time job. I can't afford $150 niche bottles every month.

Second, I want to try as much as possible before I commit to buying anything.

Third, 90% of fragrances out there, I won't wear often. I found in many cases that a lot of fragrances are really fun to sample but a full bottle will never get used up.

My entire Basenotes Wishlist is based on niche samples that I have. After sampling, I lucked out in finding a Belgium antiques dealer who had a partial bottle of one of the favorite samples. It was at a fraction of the normal cost. But She changed her mind about selling it to me and kept it for herself! Oh, well. Back to the samples drawing board.

I love sampling things and would do much better with 5-10 ml decants, but I just love the beauty and the feel of the actual bottle. I have too much perfume now to ever wear it all, but I enjoy touching, admiring and sniffing all the bottles.