Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Dependent

Default Re: Anyone surviving on only decants and samples?

I have a nice mix. Around 30 full bottles, around 20 decants and around 50 samples.

I sample niche. If I like a frag after atleast 6 wears in 6 months i'll get the bottle. It's not that often, but haven't been dissappointed. I really don't want 30+ bottles so this keeps things neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    Around half of my collections are decants, especially niche, vintage, or hard-to-find ones.

If I bought all my scents in FW, I would have been broke & homeless.
    I have the same combination (almost) too! Crazy!

i have very little of a sample i got from ebay of john varvatos 10th anniversary left i really love this one tho pretty much the same boat

I usually sample first. Then decant if it is expensive and then if i really like it buy the bottle and keep it.

I like the idea of decanting but can not really do it,
    Because so far all the decants I have get less attention from me,
    I really do not why, let alone the samples of which
    I have 100's from almost all houses.

Basenotes Member

When I started to get addicted, I started off by buying bottles. I now probably have 15 bottles, some are worn more than others. As I started wanting to try more and more of the niche scents, I started getting more and more decants. A 10 ml decant is a pretty good amount to get really acquainted with the fragrance. If I go through the 10 ml and really miss having it, then I'll buy the bottle. So far, in the past year I haven't even gotten through a single 10 ml decant, and many of these are scents I love and would surely consider full bottle worthy.

So, so far I'm pretty happy with the variety that decants allows me to have.

Yeah the economics of 100mL or even 50mL bottles don't make sense if you have more than a half dozen or so frags, unless for some reason you're planning to wear them and nothing else for the rest of your life.

That said I still buy 4oz bottles whenever I can and give 2mL samples/10mL decants if people really like what I'm wearing.

I was 'between jobs' for a few months in the nineties and lived on blagged samples then (oh the shame!) -- you have to get your priorities right don't you?

Wouldn't dream of it now though.

I only have 3 decants in my collection of 45+ bottles, which were way cheaper than purchasing the full bottles. I go for decants when the available retail bottles are all 100mls plus, or if the smaller bottles are ridiculously high prices per ml. I'd buy more decants if the ones I wanted were offered on basenotes.

I prefer full bottles, though I can't keep buying big bottles like I've done so far as I'll never get through them all!! I keep my bottles in their boxes, so ideally I would like a fleet of nice metal atomisers that I could fill as needed and use daily. Then air and light exposure would then be minimised for the full bottles. I travel every week, so carrying decants gives me the option of a variety of scents to use for 2-3 days away from home. If anyone knows where to get nice atomisers in the Uk, please tell me. Husband uses Muji but I need 50+ atomisers and they are pricey.

Banned
    Blog Entries

90% of my collection is decants and samples.

First, I'm a college student with a part time job. I can't afford $150 niche bottles every month.

Second, I want to try as much as possible before I commit to buying anything.

Third, 90% of fragrances out there, I won't wear often. I found in many cases that a lot of fragrances are really fun to sample but a full bottle will never get used up.

My entire Basenotes Wishlist is based on niche samples that I have. After sampling, I lucked out in finding a Belgium antiques dealer who had a partial bottle of one of the favorite samples. It was at a fraction of the normal cost. But She changed her mind about selling it to me and kept it for herself! Oh, well. Back to the samples drawing board.

I love sampling things and would do much better with 5-10 ml decants, but I just love the beauty and the feel of the actual bottle. I have too much perfume now to ever wear it all, but I enjoy touching, admiring and sniffing all the bottles.

Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

I know this is an old thread but it's a good one. I think with certain fragrances a 10 or 20ml decant is enough. Take Tom Ford's TV for example. I love the stuff. I think it's an amazing creation. But based on the nuclear strength and the fact that it is not overly versatile a decant is more than enough for me. I get to own and enjoy it without spending a packet. I would wear TV maybe 5 or 6 times a year so do not see the point of owing a full bottle.
    All Time Top 10

Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Dior Homme Intense - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino
    L'Homme - Prada
    La Nuit De L'Homme - YSL
    Sartorial - Penhaligons
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

I'm not surviving on decants and samples as you say, but I typically like to use up a sample before I buy something. It helps me get to know a scent and how it works in different environments, whether I get a reaction to it, etc.
    "Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once.
    A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."
    -Diane Ackerman
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I own almost exclusively full bottles, and this was also my starting point into fragrance, but if the amount and quality of samples and/or decants would suit my fragrance preferences, why not?
    +1 I never really gave it much thought. I simply began buying full bottles from the start. I know I have too many perfumes, and I will eventually sell quite a few of them. I must admit, however, that I love bottles and packaging.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I love sampling things and would do much better with 5-10 ml decants, but I just love the beauty and the feel of the actual bottle. I have too much perfume now to ever wear it all, but I enjoy touching, admiring and sniffing all the bottles.
    +1. This sounds like me as well. I must sell some of collection next year, though. I have run out of storage room, and too often now I am unable to find the fragrance I want to wear. Instead of searching through tons of bottles for thirty minutes or more, I give up and select a bottle from the front of the closet. Me thinks this is not a good sign. Additionally, there is the indisputable fact that there is no way I will be able to use up even 20% of my collection in what is left of my lifetime. So why do I continue to buy more perfume? It must be an addiction borne out of old age and boredom.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Blog Entries

My full bottle collection has already outgrown the allocated space, and bottles have started taking over my bookshelves. Perhaps that’s partly why I am looking at attars and oud blends as they come in much smaller bottles.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès