Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default What Are Your Perfume Plans For 2013?

I plan on continuing my exploration of feminine frags and insex frags. I plan to purchase, off the top of my head,
    Jicky, Balmain De Balmain, Midnight Poison, Apres L' Ondee, Shalimar pure purfume, etc....
    I would also like to find a few more designer masculine scents I can live with, but not niche. I don't want to become a niche whore.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Default Re: What Are Your Perfume Plans For 2013?

I plan on purchasing lots of samples with Christmas/birthday money (birthday is in January, so convenient for this purpose!). I've only properly got into fragrances this year and I've been on a tight budget, so there are LOTS of fragrances I'm dying to sniff.

Hopefully this will mean I'll have more to contribute to Basenotes - my "repetoire" is so limited that there are eg. few topics I can post recommendations in. But I'm learning loads from Basenotes, so thanks guys

I mean to get my hands on Chloe See and find out if the bottle is as gorgeous as it looks in photos. I also plan to try purchasing a good proportion of scents by companies like Al Rehab, Rasasi and others who I'm unfamiliar with, while continuing my exploration of Azzaro.

Also I need to replace my little bottle of Egoiste as it's nearly empty, and I might buy something from the Allure range, but more likely I'll be checking out the D&G Velvet line for myself. Their almost universally bad reviews intrigue me.

Also - finally - there's vintage bottles of Monsiuer Worth (big splash bottle) Dans la Nuit (still boxed) and Insense with my name on 'em.

Apart from that, whatever fakes my fancy. Meaning I may put these plans on hold or nix 'em all-together if something more interesting comes along.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'd like to have cause to hop the train to Chicago to meet up with a BNer or two in 2013. I know I can order samples, but the in-store experience is nice to have once a year.

For 2014, I am hopeful to think America's new health care system will allow me to have affordable insurance so I can have confidence in my disposable income, which could make me more generous in sharing samples and buying postage. Right now I not only pay all medical out of pocket, but I save for a catastrophic rainy day, so I'm not helping to stimulate the economy very much.

For 2015, I am excited to anticipate the arrival of Nordstrom to our area. I want to learn the name of their best frag SA and make her/him my new BFF.

Once we accumulate enough Amtrak travel points, we plan to ride first class for a stay with my cousin in California. That trip should include a visit to The Scent Bar (Lucky Scent).

Cue Carly Simon: "Anticipation ..."
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I don't want to become a niche whore.
    So, I've seen you make this comment in several different threads. What's up? If you like what you like, regardless of whether it's designer or niche, what does it matter?

I wear a handful of designer scents, but most of my wardrobe is niche. Does that make me a niche whore?

I don't look down my nose at designer, and I quite happily wear a few Tom Fords, my Givenchy Organza Indecence, etc. But above all, it's about what my nose is drawn to. If I find a designer fragrance I like, I'll wear it. But most of what I like right now is niche and indie.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to express your opinion, not at all. But don't be surprised if you alienate some people with comments like that.

At this point, I'm just curious why you feel that way about niche.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    So, I've seen you make this comment in several different threads. What's up? If you like what you like, regardless of whether it's designer or niche, what does it matter?

I wear a handful of designer scents, but most of my wardrobe is niche. Does that make me a niche whore?

I don't look down my nose at designer, and I quite happily wear a few Tom Fords, my Givenchy Organza Indecence, etc. But above all, it's about what my nose is drawn to. If I find a designer fragrance I like, I'll wear it. But most of what I like right now is niche and indie.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to express your opinion, not at all. But don't be surprised if you alienate some people with comments like that.

At this point, I'm just curious why you feel that way about niche.
    If you ever visit the men's forum, all you practically hear is about niche frags. It is very alienating when your disabled and can't afford these $150-$400 bottles of colognes and perfumes and that's all people can talk about. It leaves me with nothing to talk about. Beside that, I think it's silly to spend money like that on a perfume or cologne when there are so many designer frags that won't cost you the same as half your rent.
    I have a lot of designer frags to discover and I can't learn much when all anyone talks about is Serge Lutens, MDCI and Creed. So, I made up my mind not to fall into that category of people that only buy and talk about niche frags as some sort of status symbol. If you like the fragrance and can afford it, then I say good for you, but when a person asks for a frag suggestion don't answer everytime with "try this, but it's gonna cost ya"!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

it's silly to spend money like that on a perfume or cologne when there are so many designer frags that won't cost you ..... half your rent.
    Agree 100 per cent. Our job is to try and find them among thousands of duds and let the whole world know. Pleasures do not have to cost an arm and a leg and a firstborn to go with it. Also agree about more snobbism on the Boys' Side.

I will continue on being money conscious perfumista with a limited student budget so I will be planning every purchase carefully. All I know is that I want few more Parfum d'Empire to join my collection.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Agree 100 per cent. Our job is to try and find them among thousands of duds and let the whole world know. Pleasures do not have to cost an arm and a leg and a firstborn to go with it. Also agree about more snobbism on the Boys' Side.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Twolf!

I don't frequent the Boys' Side, so I don't know much about it. But I get your reaction -- how very annoying when all you're trying to do is learn about fragrances! I'm glad you're over here, southerngardens. I was just puzzled by the comment.

So, if you don't mind my asking, are you particularly wedded to owning full bottles or are you OK with owning decants? Because, whether you buy them from STC or TPC, or whether you receive some from kind-hearted BN'ers, decants are a great way to experience lots of different fragrances. In fact, I don't buy full bottles any more because of the expense without first finishing a 5ml decant, so that I know if I love it *enough* to invest in a full bottle.

I suppose it all depends on what you're after. I really like trying as many new fragrances as possible, so I'm a big sample/decant fan. If you love full bottles, I get that, too.

Now having said all that, are there any niche fragrances that you would really *like* to try, even if investment in a full bottle isn't an immediate possibility? I've checked out your wardrobe Wish List and Test List, but I'm not sure what each of the lists means for you...

I definitely want to increase my niche collection.
    Smell Good, Swag.

http://goo.gl/1KFeA

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I don't frequent the Boys' Side, so I don't know much about it. But I get your reaction -- how very annoying when all you're trying to do is learn about fragrances! I'm glad you're over here, southerngardens. I was just puzzled by the comment.

So, if you don't mind my asking, are you particularly wedded to owning full bottles or are you OK with owning decants? Because, whether you buy them from STC or TPC, or whether you receive some from kind-hearted BN'ers, decants are a great way to experience lots of different fragrances. In fact, I don't buy full bottles any more because of the expense without first finishing a 5ml decant, so that I know if I love it *enough* to invest in a full bottle.

I suppose it all depends on what you're after. I really like trying as many new fragrances as possible, so I'm a big sample/decant fan. If you love full bottles, I get that, too.

Now having said all that, are there any niche fragrances that you would really *like* to try, even if investment in a full bottle isn't an immediate possibility? I've checked out your wardrobe Wish List and Test List, but I'm not sure what each of the lists means for you...
    ExtremeK, I am OK with decants, but if I fall in love with a scent I would like to have a bottle. As you can see by my wardrobe, I love masculine and feminine scents. I can't think of a niche that I would like to try because I haven't learned much about many of them.
    I did not mean to offend you and for that I apologize.

Now, in terms of my fragrance plans for 2013 ... hmmmm. There are a bunch of FBW fragrances on my Wish List, but about the time I will feel like parting with $$ for full bottles (March), most of the ones on the list won't be appealing to my nose -- which tends to be very seasonally-oriented.

So, I know I'll be in the LA area in early January -- I am absolutely going to be paying a visit to Scent Bar (wish I could run into Quarry!), and I may crumple under the weight of FB desire. If I do, it's likely going to involve Mazzolari Lei or Mazzolari Patchouly or Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli or Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauvre or perhaps Frapin 1270... Sigh. But I'll have to keep myself in check.

Because my big plan/hope for 2013 is my very first trip to Europe -- Paris, specifically. Les Salons du Palais Royal, even more specifically. Along with all of the other wonderful things in Paris to see, eat, and drink. I'm really hoping I can make that happen this year, which is Year One of my new life.

- - - Updated - - -

ExtremeK, I am OK with decants, but if I fall in love with a scent I would like to have a bottle. As you can see by my wardrobe, I love masculine and feminine scents. I can't think of a niche that I would like to try because I haven't learned much about many of them.
    I did not mean to offend you and for that I apologize.
    No offense taken. As I said, I was just curious.

I did see Chergui on either your Test or Wish List ... is that one you've tried or one that you wish to try?

Do you want to avoid trying niche so as not to fall in love with them, or would you like to start learning about some niche fragrances that you might like? Because if you'd like to experience sharing without attitude, you've come to the right place. I can think of lots of us on the women's side who'd LOVE to help you explore!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I expect to be buying less stuff in general in 2013. Not only do I have plenty of stuff, but we seem to have plenty of medical bills.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Now, in terms of my fragrance plans for 2013 ... hmmmm. There are a bunch of FBW fragrances on my Wish List, but about the time I will feel like parting with $$ for full bottles (March), most of the ones on the list won't be appealing to my nose -- which tends to be very seasonally-oriented.

So, I know I'll be in the LA area in early January -- I am absolutely going to be paying a visit to Scent Bar (wish I could run into Quarry!), and I may crumple under the weight of FB desire. If I do, it's likely going to involve Mazzolari Lei or Mazzolari Patchouly or Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli or Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauvre or perhaps Frapin 1270... Sigh. But I'll have to keep myself in check.

Because my big plan/hope for 2013 is my very first trip to Europe -- Paris, specifically. Les Salons du Palais Royal, even more specifically. Along with all of the other wonderful things in Paris to see, eat, and drink. I'm really hoping I can make that happen this year, which is Year One of my new life.

- - - Updated - - -

No offense taken. As I said, I was just curious.

I did see Chergui on either your Test or Wish List ... is that one you've tried or one that you wish to try?

Do you want to avoid trying niche so as not to fall in love with them, or would you like to start learning about some niche fragrances that you might like? Because if you'd like to experience sharing without attitude, you've come to the right place. I can think of lots of us on the women's side who'd LOVE to help you explore!!
    Chergui was just one I heard bantered around and sounded nice, but no biggie. I really like it over here on the ladies forum because you are more welcoming and more understanding about my feminine frag exploration. I will just have to keep sampling to get my men's designer frag education. But I tell you I really enjoy sharing what I have learned with the newcomers the most!

I plan to order samples of iconic Guerlain fragrances. I've tried only one, Mitsouko, and there are more out there that interest me. Also, I want to delve into more indie perfumers. Thus far I've tried Aftelier, Slumberhouse, and Providence Perfumes. Currently I am learning to blend my own oils and such, and will be developing my skills and knowledge base in 2013. Thank goodness for Basenotes; I am learning a lot from participating in these forums.

I plan to sample, sample, sample... I've owned, sampled, or currently own the common Chanel feminines, but I'd like to try Les Exclusifs throughout the year. Expanding my sampling of fragrances by Dominique Ropion, since I seem to be drawn to anything he's had a hand in. And southerngardens keeps threatening to introduce me to Guerlain, which could be deadly.

Trying to stay away from niche since it's so expensive, but I'm allowing myself one pricey purchase this year as a reward for finishing a long term project ahead of schedule. Not yet sure what that will be.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadelotus View Post
    I plan to sample, sample, sample... I've owned, sampled, or currently own the common Chanel feminines, but I'd like to try Les Exclusifs throughout the year. Expanding my sampling of fragrances by Dominique Ropion, since I seem to be drawn to anything he's had a hand in. And southerngardens keeps threatening to introduce me to Guerlain, which could be deadly.

Trying to stay away from niche since it's so expensive, but I'm allowing myself one pricey purchase this year as a reward for finishing a long term project ahead of schedule. Not yet sure what that will be.
    I'm going to get you hooked on at least one Guerlain! LOL

Well, I have been watching this conversation all day, and I am glad that it has stayed mutually supportive
    Personally, I have a vested interest in both sides of this, as I am a lover of classic Chanels and there current formulations, and also of niche fragrances that capture my interest for reasons that they bring specific to me.

My current perfume goals, as I have stated often on these boards, are to hone down my specific interest, and yet pursue challenging sniffing goals.

I could very easily build my perfume wardrobe from Chanel, and be happy with that. So I plan to immerse myself with my favorites and go from there. I want to wear them more, and appreciate them more.

I want to sample all sorts of stuff, and experience all that is out there. Niche will be the focus, because I am facinated by the options and the spirit of that.

And I want to clear out my wardrobe from frags that no longer facinate me.

Sampling is on the top of my to-do list as well. I especially want to explore lines which I'm not familiar with, namely:

- By Kilian
    - Nasomatto
    - Dior Private Collection
    - Hermessence
    - The Robert Piguet line
    - Perfumerie Generale
    - Parfums d'Nicolai
    - The Different Company
    - Le Labo
    - Byredo
    - Tom Ford - both the Private Blend and Signature collection
    - the entire CDG line
    - Guerlain
    - Ava Luxe
    - Chanel Exclusive line - the ones I haven't tested as yet

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    +1.

Sometimes, whilst perusing the Male Fragrance forum, one gets the idea that a lot of people out there have their heads wedged so far up their arses that they simply lose all sense of perspective. Creed fanboyism, for instance, is ever so tribalistic.

Of course, I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush and I'm sure there are many, many wonderful folk who're absolutely marvellous, but in general, I find the Female Forum to be a lot more amiable and egalitarian, if you will.
    Last edited by whimsicaldiva; 21st December 2012 at 04:21 AM.

I don't have any specific plans. I sampled so many fragrances this year, and maybe my senses are becoming dull, but I don't even have anything specific on my wishlist right now.

(I would get a bottle of vintage Chanel Coco if I knew where to look for one; I am afraid of buying Chanels on ebay.)

It is not a plan, but I would really like By Kilian (or, rather, Calice Becker: pretty, pretty please) to create a decadently luscious chocolate/cocoa-centered fragrance in 2013.

I'm planning on finally exploring the AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo line. I've wanted to for a while.

I'm also going to whittle down my To Test list. There's enough for a year.

I'm continuing my exploration of sexy fragrances. I thought I'd come to the end of that search quickly, but not so. There are so many awesome fragrances in this genre, several of which are new favorites.

Downsize. I have far too many bottles (37, including a few discontinued fragrances though). It is to the point where I don't even wear my top favourites anymore but whenever I do I wonder why I strayed in the first place ! It is a bit frustrating. So definitely no more shopping for me. Here and there I will sample some of the niche lines although I am usually unimpressed. Once I look at the price tag I am even less convinced.

I make no plans. I do, however, want to get a bottle of Black Peony by Parfum Satori. It's only available in Japan, so will have to get it when I visit Tokyo next.

If anything, I want to truly savour what I have in my collection. But if I come across something that sings to me, I will not deny myself the pleasure
    Do happy

I plan to continue sampling perfumes and am particularly keen to sample around certain notes: vanilla (lots to try!); angelica; hawthorne (not many to try so easier to do); lavender (Kiki made me realize lavender can work for me and Brin Reglisse made me decide I would try to sample at least a few more lavender perfumes); and tuberose (journey continues!). When it comes to leather I am not sure I will find the perfect leather for me...but have set my mind on trying Cuir Beluga. I also plan to sample Ajne - primarily because I think Fleur Blanche sounds wonderful and like it could be something I would truly love, but also because I am curious about all natural perfumes.

I haven't planned any purchases, but am considering a couple (I only purchase if the love remains once I am through a sample).

Task one: Sort out my samples and decants! I shall category them into two categories: bottled needed, swap/thrown away, and use them up as much as possible.
    Task two: after finish task one, maybe a few new full bottles?

I am on a No Buy NY resolution until April to make me "shop my own collection" and wear the samples I've been gifted or bought. I then hope to sell on what I really won't wear enough to justify keeping it and plan to sell before purchase and sell decants or samples of some which I want to wear occasionally but not frequently enough to justify the full bottle

200 ml splash bottle of vintage Egoiste and a 4 oz bottle of Creed Original Vetiver

No plans in particular. Just hoping to not piss off my husband too much as I continue to expand my collection. Might have to start hiding some fumes.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

0 blind buys, 100% sampling prior to purchase. Have gotten tired of being disappointed.

My perfume resolutions:

1. Only accept full bottles graciously given as gifts

2. Only buy decants and only if I have to absolutely have it

3. Edit wish list thoroughly. Do I REALLY want it?

4. Keep running total of costs and volumes bought this year

5. Finish all my samples before ordering any more

I bought 18 bottles in the last 3 months.
    Gotta reel this scent sniffing business in. I don't want to end up buying more than I could possibly enjoy.

I've got quite a list going at the moment; at the top of the list I have:

Les Nombres d'Or: Cuir Mona di Orio (eau de parfum; 100ml)
    Equipage Hermès (eau de toilette; 100ml)
    Bandit Robert Piguet (parfum extrait; 30ml)
    Iris Silver Mist Serge Lutens (eau de parfum; 75ml)
    28 La Pausa Chanel: Les Exclusifs (eau de toilette; 200ml)
    Derby Guerlain (eau de toilette; 100ml)
    Bois des Îles Chanel: Les Exclusifs (eau de toilette; 200ml)

My 2013 Fragrance resolutions:

I'd like to buy Neela Vermeire Trayee and Tableau de Parfums Miriam.

I'd like to make a more organized list (right now it's on scraps of paper) of what I've got and where. (so I don't accidentally buy a back up when I've already got one...)

After I get all organized, I may buy a just a few more back ups, from ebay, of discontinued favorites -- but only if I find a good deal, so it's worth the risk.

I'd like to sell about 20 bottles on ebay. (I keep planning on getting rid of this and that on ebay, but never seem to take the plunge. Maybe THIS is the year!)

I'll commit the occasional random act of fragrance kindness.

In my closet where I keep most of my collection, I'll occasionally move things around so the stuff in the back row gets a chance!

I'd like to get more samples and decants in larger sizes if I really like them - got some samples on the way and I'm really excited - and I'll try not to camp on here so much :/

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I expect to be buying less stuff in general in 2013.
    +1 on that. My "plan" is to spend much less in 2013 than I did in 2012. Unfortunately, that's not starting off too well!

1. Send out my 2 promised freebies from the freebie thread, which regrettably have remained unfilfulled for nearly a year and for which I feel guilty as hell. (I still have the same piece of notebook paper with names and addresses in Sharpie.) I've been busy, stressed, and broke a lot. Sorry ...

2. Continue sampling designer scents at the mall where I work. (Macy's, Sephora, etc.)

3. I want a full bottle of Dior Hypnotic Poison!!! I am obsessed over it right now, and the bottle is to die for.

4. Get rid of a couple of bottles which I simply don't wear, one of which gives me a headache- maybe repost a swap thread.

5.Write some reviews.

6. I need something by Hermes. I cannot have nothing by Hermes: CDOV, Eau des Merveilles, Elixir des Merveilles ... At least a small bottle or sample. I have used all my Hermes full bottles of days past: CDOV, UJM, UJSLN, Voyage d'Hermes ... Extinguished my samples of Terre d'Hermes, 24 Faubourg, Elixir des Merveilles. Hard times, hard times. I've loved all of Jean Claude Ellena's scents; they boost my mood and give me confidence like no other scent; I feel naked without them. So Hermes has become essential for me. It's either CDOV, Eau des Merveilles, or Elixir des Merveilles. I can't decide. I think I will go with a FB of CDOV and some samples or minis of the others. I would love to have FBs of all of them, but I simply can't afford it.

7. Try/learn more about men's fragrances.

8. Try a few niche fragrances.

9. Try a few more classic scents on my test list.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Like many others, I'm going to do lots of sampling. I have started to write down notes about every perfume I try and I'm gonna keep on doing that. I feel it really helps me concentrate on the fragrance. So far I haven't even covered my own very small collection, not to mention the samples.

Interesting conversation!

While I totally agree with plans to try new stuff and broaden horizons my approach will have a tighter focus. 2013 looks like thenyear that EU regulations will put the perfume out of it's misery - nearly a decade of cruel and unusual behaviour will finally culminate in a coup dE grace. After watching us suffer through so many classic works being reduced to facsimiles of themselves by reducing key ingredients to a tenth of whatnthey have been for decades, some will probably be banned entirely.

I'll be on the lookout for vintages of some personal favourites but will also consider which current releases I want to continue enjoying are in peril - these include relatively below the radar works like Tiffany for Men, Granville and any remaining Sous le Vent I can afford (we are still not 100% sure if that is discontinued, BTW) that still live and breath with some oakmoss in them.

So many are being reformulated it's difficult to keep up but I have made it a point to identify current stuff that is still good.

Puchases of more recent stuff for 2013 will include Encens Mythique & Songe d'un Bois from Guerlain and Mito from Vero Kern - I think these are standout releases from 2012. I may also grab some Opium, Cinnabar & Habanita just to catch them in their fading glory - I came to this far too late to own any of the original versions but no harm having even an 'end of an era' souvenir.

My 2013 fragrance plans are to whittle my collection down to a core wardrobe of no more than 50 fragrances (I do appreciate that 50 fragrances sounds pretty excessive...). I plan to sell some and to use up others.

Use more fragrance - spritzing my bath water, mixing fragrance with unscented lotion and carrying travel atomisers.

Operating a one in, three out policy.... Save that I plan to purchase some Cuir de Russie pure parfum on my birthday.

Avoiding impulse purposes, test then decant then on to the wish list....