Code of Conduct

Default What designer fragrance would you love to see made on a Niche scale?

I would love Vince Camuto and Pleasures, but possible more. I have no major complaints with these two, but it would be interesting to see longevity improved with the VC. VC is fresh and vibrant but after 3 or 4 hours it melds into something unidimensional. It would be lovely to retain the 1st hour of application.

Something like Fahrenheit or Obsession, I only would love to see the vintage juice brought back and not necessarily on a niche level as the vintage is pretty perfect as is. What fragrances do you feel could be slightly improved by using either better ingredients or perhaps the longevity tinkered with?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: What designer fragrance would you love to see made on a Niche scale?

Cool Water....................................oh yeah

Really though, I'd like to see the original Eternity redone. For some reason I've smelled nothing like the original in a long time. I may be wrong though. In its day I loved this stuff. I think if a niche house reworked it right, it would get a lot of love.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: What designer fragrance would you love to see made on a Niche scale?

O Pour Homme - Lancome

Le Male. Just because it's the perfect night out scent, except for the fact that EVERYONE wears it. I wish I was the only person in my town who knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Le Male. Just because it's the perfect night out scent, except for the fact that EVERYONE wears it. I wish I was the only person in my town who knew about it.
    Amouage Reflection comes closest to this for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    O Pour Homme - Lancome
    A very nice green fragrance but too fem for me in the dry down. It would be nice to see it reworked a bit.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Amouage Reflection comes closest to this for me.
    On a tester strip, I agree - but it's a completely different beast on my skin. Doesn't have anywhere near the same projection either so it's not really suitable for a night out fragrance. Not in my climate anyway.

Dependent

Most of my vintage masculine collection

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

None. Because I would end up having to pay more for it.

CologneFan85

I tend to like most Designer more then the Niche that I own so none...senore01 is dead right on this lol

The idea behind this thread seems to be that niche scents are universally made with superior ingrediants than designer scents. This is empirically false, or uninformed at best. Different niche houses offer different levels of quality just as different designer houses offer different levels of quality. The best of both worlds are comparable.

That said I wouldn't want any of my beloved designer (or niche, or drugstore, or anything ese) fragrances fiddled about with in any fashion. Reformulations almost never work to my favour. Moreover since a lot of them are vintage even the most high-end niche outfits don't have acess to superior ingrediants.

The Caron Line and the Bogart Line.

I would love to see Gucci by Gucci made with quality ingredients

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I would love to see Gucci by Gucci made with quality ingredients
    That stuff is horrid in my opinion

I would love to see YSL M7 and Chanel Egoiste as a concentrated perfume oil like the Amouage Attar
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I would love to see YSL M7 and Chanel Egoiste as a concentrated perfume oil like the Amouage Attar
    M7's niche equivalent is hands down, Tom Ford's Oud Wood. I have a tough time distinguishing the two. Only difference I notice is that Oud Wood is stronger.

Basenotes Plus

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Has the potential to a fantastic fragrance but the longevity and projection are something to be desired. Way too spotty.

edit - Surprised nobody has said The One by Dolce and Gabbana.
    Last edited by mlsweeney; 20th December 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    I tend to like most Designer more then the Niche that I own so none...senore01 is dead right on this lol
    Same for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

1 million

Fahrenheit or bring back the early 90s one.

for swap/sale:

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Fahrenheit or bring back the early 90s one.
    Yeah, bring back the old Fahrenheit, and Grey Flannel too.

I'd love to see Après L'Ondée redone by a Lutens-era Sheldrake (not the new, polished, Chanel-ified Sheldrake).

I'd love to see an Amouage attar take on Chanel's Cuir de Russie too.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Overcome By Fumes

English Leather is difficult to wear because despite being conceptually good, it reeks of cheap. Niche that sucker.

Dior Homme -- I would like it to be smoother, and I'd like it to be a little bit sweeter, but not as sweet as Dior Homme Intense.

Acteur
    Fleur du Male
    Gaultier2 (actually Maison Francis Kurkdjian even use this fragrance, add in the orange blossom note, call it APOM pour Homme and sell at expensive niche price)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    edit - Surprised nobody has said The One by Dolce and Gabbana.
    +1

The One was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Tabac original!

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I'd love to see Après L'Ondée redone by a Lutens-era Sheldrake (not the new, polished, Chanel-ified Sheldrake).
    Now that got me thinking. Yeah.

Altho Quand Vient la Pluie and 180 Ans are both sorta riffs on Apres l'Ondee - they lean towards the original Extrait a bit in density. And L'Eau d'Hiver is a pretty nice take on it - respect.

But the Sheldrake vision would be very interesting to consider.

The Parfumie Generale guy did a not bad take on L'Heure Bleue, 'Bois de Copaiba'. Like Ellena's L'Eau d'Hiver, it 'de-femmes' the idea a bit. (Altho fragrances don't have private parts etc etc yadda yadda, of course).

Okay, I would be interested to see Dominique Dubrana let loose on Sous le Vent and Vero Kern have a shot at Egoiste (but someone would have to give her some decent Santalum Album to work with ).

Cartier Roadster Sport
    Dolce & Gabbana The One
    Dolce & Gabbana pour homme
    Yves Saint Laurent L'homme
    Polo Black

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    The idea behind this thread seems to be that niche scents are universally made with superior ingrediants than designer scents. This is empirically false, or uninformed at best. Different niche houses offer different levels of quality just as different designer houses offer different levels of quality. The best of both worlds are comparable.
    Very well said. The term "niche" has been taken completely out of context in the fragrance community. It seems most people believe that "niche" means something is made of higher quality materials, however, niche merely means that something is made to cater to a smaller, more particular market segment. Take for example: Apple computers and hybrid vehicles. Only a small percentage of the population owns a Mac or a Toyota Prius. Niche things tend to be more expensive due to the fact that they sell at lower volumes to a specific segment of consumers. If a designer fragrance were made on a "niche scale" then they would simply be more expensive and not as commonly found in stores. So I wouldn't want any designer fragrances made on a niche scale.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quite a few I can think of:

Armani Eau pour Homme
    Versace l'Homme
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Burberry London
    Esencia Loewe
    YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    This.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

1725TE=NathanDoyle;2790091]+1

The One was the first thing that came to mind for me.[/QUOTE]
    +1. Or just edp/extreme version
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Designer fragrance makers may very well already be going "niche" with extreme and instense versions of some scents. We all know that this approach does not always yield widespread appeal or success. To say that a niche touch to, or overhaul of a fragrance will be a fixall for some apparent shortcomings is a gamble in wishful thinking. As how are to know what direction the niche perfumer will take the scent. The end result could be dramatically different from anything we had hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Exxxxactly

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Now that got me thinking. Yeah.

Altho Quand Vient la Pluie and 180 Ans are both sorta riffs on Apres l'Ondee - they lean towards the original Extrait a bit in density. And L'Eau d'Hiver is a pretty nice take on it - respect.

But the Sheldrake vision would be very interesting to consider.

The Parfumie Generale guy did a not bad take on L'Heure Bleue, 'Bois de Copaiba'. Like Ellena's L'Eau d'Hiver, it 'de-femmes' the idea a bit. (Altho fragrances don't have private parts etc etc yadda yadda, of course).

Okay, I would be interested to see Dominique Dubrana let loose on Sous le Vent and Vero Kern have a shot at Egoiste (but someone would have to give her some decent Santalum Album to work with ).
    Bois de Copaiba sounds good. I've been a little obsessed with LHB lately. I've probably fallen victim to the centennial hype. I should try this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Very well said. The term "niche" has been taken completely out of context in the fragrance community. It seems most people believe that "niche" means something is made of higher quality materials, however, niche merely means that something is made to cater to a smaller, more particular market segment. Take for example: Apple computers and hybrid vehicles. Only a small percentage of the population owns a Mac or a Toyota Prius. Niche things tend to be more expensive due to the fact that they sell at lower volumes to a specific segment of consumers. If a designer fragrance were made on a "niche scale" then they would simply be more expensive and not as commonly found in stores. So I wouldn't want any designer fragrances made on a niche scale.
    I don't think the question was worded very well. The OP's examples were more along the lines of "how would you like to see a commercial fragrance enhanced?" and "what vintage designer fragrance that is now out of vogue would you like to see reincarnated as a niche perfume?".

I thought it would be more interesting to consider what designer or mass-market fragrances I'd like to see re-imagined with the same basic idea or main accord(s) but in a way that didn't have to cater to a mass market. "Which designer fragrance would you like to see reinterpreted in a 'niche' style?"

Obviously, there would be little reason to want a mass-produced fragrance to be manufactured on a small scale. The exception might be the person above who wished a designer frag was less common.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The great designer fragrances were much better, far more complex, (contained an abundance of nuanced naturals, etc) in their vintage formulas than they could ever be on the so-called fantasy "niche scale" in which, among other things, even the best fragrances are now almost always anchored by cheap synthetic musks, various sugared molecules, or Iso E Super.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th December 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Almost or near impossible for smaller niche perfume makers to ignore completely or in part the successful business models of successful designer companies. They can only do so at their own peril. In the absence of mass market marketing, niche companies must rely on an ever enthusiastic fan base to move their wares. Given the typically higher pricing, it becomes impossible to always ensure, a significant number of true niche fans will endorse the product, without price being an issue. It becomes a matter of bottom line , whether the company is niche or designer.