Code of Conduct

Default Is there anything else like Norma Kamali Incense

I have found my perfect incense scent. And, of course, it is discontinued.

A very kind person on the internet gave me a tiny sample of Incense. I had a feeling about it, and I was right; it's perfect for me. Rich, real, full, round, deliciously resinous, very very slightly smoky, clings beautifully to my skin. (Not, on me, a projection monster as apparently it is for some. Not "difficult" at all, at any stage.) And apparently impossible to get for any price.

Anything else REALLY like this? Not Avignon, not Sonoma Scent Studios Incense Pure (although this does carry on in the same vein, but with everything those two are missing). Anything?

Just my luck. I don't want "a collection", I don't want a "fragrance wardrobe", I just wanted my next perfect scent. I found it, I can't have it.
    Last edited by CompassRose; 20th December 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: wrong name of fragrance, oops

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Is there anything else like Norma Kamali Incense

A couple of suggestions. Montale Full Incense and Kilian Incense Oud.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Guerlain Samsara? Samsara is a wonderful perfume that is a huge jasmine experience ,smoothed out with ylang and given a little lift with vanilla and tonka and then it expands beautifully with sandalwood . This is the vintage extrait I am reviewing. This is a gorgeous Guerlain perfume ,strong and with sillage and tenacity.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Guerlain Samsara sounds like the kind of thing my acid skin would destroy with extreme prejudice on contact, but thank you. I really can wear almost nothing floral successfully.

IMO there's nothing like NK out there.
    I'm living off my samples and can't convince myself to open my sealed bottle which would last like five lifetimes but still

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    A couple of suggestions. Montale Full Incense and Kilian Incense Oud.
    Both of these much better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    IMO there's nothing like NK out there.
    I'm living off my samples and can't convince myself to open my sealed bottle which would last like five lifetimes but still
    You lucky dog you. Envy you.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Both of these much better IMO.
    Not a matter of better or not. It's just that these two feature a different type of incense. NK features a copal incense mainly, which is more terpenic and pine dominant than frankincense used in most other fragrances you come across these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Not a matter of better or not. It's just that these two feature a different type of incense. NK features a copal incense mainly, which is more terpenic and pine dominant than frankincense used in most other fragrances you come across these days.
    +1 - absolutely right!
    You could try Serge Lutens' "Fille En Aiguilles" - in my eyes a great scent that has similarity with NK Incense, maybe you like it despite not being an Incense clone. Another you could try would be DKNY's "Donna Karan Essence: Labdanum" - it also has great similarity in vibe but is so much lighter and less intensive than Incense.
    IMHO it's a shame they discontinued Incense a year or two ago - sadly there's no perfume in sight that really could replace it... *sigh*

It's the intensity that I want.... and the copal. No fruit. Fille en Aiguilles sounds like it rather resembles some of the Slumberhouses I like, but none of them had the immediate true connection of NK Incense, where I put it on and knew it was *right*.

Bah. I suppose I have to go haunt ebay and hope to find someone who will profit obscenely off me and ship a bottle to Canada. I don't WANT to collect the **** thing. I want to wear it, every day, and have it be the smell everyone thinks of when they think of me, for the next few years.

Just bumping to say that I got some -- from Norma Kamali at http://www.thewellnesscafe.com/

They have a limited quantity of vintage 1982 available for an insane price. If anyone wants any.

Thanks to Basenoter Graphite for the tip.

Overcome By Fumes

Well, I suppose the price per ml is not really much higher than many of the niche products we deal with here, but those mega-bottles are hard to use up unless one is splitting them, or using that fragrance exclusively...

Thanks for sharing... sigh.

The 200 mL is actually a couple dollars less per mL than Slumberhouse.

Insert hollow laughter here.

Yeah, it's an appalling bottle. It's the size of a mickey, and very heavy and narrow, with a glamorous but impractical-looking stopper in it. I'm terrified to take the plastic seal off. I need to find a small spray or something to decant it.

I need to find a small spray or something to decant it.
    I don't recommend spraying this. I'd recommend using a small flacon or vial and dabbing very small amounts (streaks, not even full drops). Also not recommended to wear around neck, perhaps just arms. Just my experience.

Incidentally... I did try Montale Full Incense, and liked it, although it reminded me more of Avignon (an Avignon with more body to it and less washing-machine cleaner). I was allergic to it, though, and both times I tried to wear my sample my nose filled up and I got a wicked sinus headache.

Tried Fille en Aiguilles, too, and it is definitely a "civilised" Slumberhouse, at least to me. Somewhere around the Jeke/Rume intersection, but a version you could introduce to your conservative grandma. Not incensey for me. I liked it, but I like the rough edges on the Slumberhouse better.

Never tried the Kilian Incense Oud, as reviews suggested it might be too sweet for me, or the Labdanum because everyone said "amber" and I make amber into a thing of horror.